Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fingus:  20 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  24 mins ago
 Karlos:  39 mins ago
 amigagr:  46 mins ago
 MagicSN:  54 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Bounties
      /  Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
kas1e 
Re: Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 16:47:14
#101 ]
Elite Member

@Amikit

No need to make things harder than they are. That all very simply: authors ask for 4000EUR to open the code, and bounty are simply: money for open the source. Nothing more to discuss, and nothing more is need it (like waiting forever, when someone will come with some unbelivable idea). That all really simply. All camps trow the money and we will have open project. One who want will donate, another one will not.

Sure, some of you will in interst to wait years for one answer, then years for someone get sign NDA, then years when someone will tryint to port it, then years for "soon", and years for anything else. But that all very very simply : collect 4000euro, send to authors, get the code.

Quote:

Otherwise, if nobody takes care of the sources later, we will end up with the most expensive "huray" in Amiga history ever.

Having sources is better than no having sources. 4000 pay not one person. Its collection of small payments. Even if no one will works on it or port it, that will mean only that we not have normal programmers anymore, and that is different story. Having the sources of dopus are good, because someday someone can works on it, without any problems, without asking for permission from anyone , just like with any open sourced work.

And to add, the most expensive "huray" in amiga history was amizilla.

Quote:

Regarding the bounty itself, increase the chance of raising enough money and prepare a good plan, a good project! Get some people involved, assure some resources first,

Everything done and discussed already. You just a bit too late. He know what he do, and i will help him with PR and other stuff. If some problems will occure, then we for sure can resend money to different projects.

@Cool_Amigan & Metalheart

Quote:

I very much agree ! It could be much cheaper aswel
Take Filer and expand the hell out of it !

Who will works on filler ? Cool_Amigan or Metalheart ? Me ? Origin maybe ? (who have no time for, and not a lot of motivation) ? So then what we talk about ? I can , but for 5000 euro per month. I.e. for 50.000 i will make it better. Want to make a bounty ?:)

To add, that is not aos4 project (filler are). Its source for ALL camps (aros, aos4, mos and even aos3 and anything else which will have os3.x api).

@Leo
Quote:

I have to agree on the fact we'll need to find someone to do the actual work after that. And seeing the amount of dead projects like this one (Aladdin: hello ? ;) p

Aladdin not open sourced. And aladdin is not "must to have" app, while Dopus are.

Last edited by kas1e on 25-Jan-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 25-Jan-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 25-Jan-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
zerohero 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 17:08:58
#102 ]
Team Member

@BrandonLee

Quote:

Sorry, but I still feel I wasn't rude to Guru Meditation (to whom I have absolutely nothing against).
In the Amiga world, everyone making the slightest critique is labelled a troll or ungrateful.
If I think something didn't go well, I can and will say it. These forums are made for sharing opinions and feelings.

I won't label you a troll or anything like that, but I do feel your criticism of GuruMeditation was unfair. The project failed for a lot of reasons, GuruMeditation mishandling the project was not one of them.

Quote:
But I, as a user, have the right to express what I think of their actions

You run into a little problem here though, you don't know what they did or didn't do. How can you express your views about something you don't know anything about?

Sadly GuruMeditation himself will probably never post why things went badly, which will leave people thinking he should have done something about it. This is incorrect and he tried to make this project but I'd say the developers (there were a few) all failed him in one way or the other, and for different reasons.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 17:16:47
#103 ]

@zerohero

Quote:
I won't label you a troll or anything like that, but I do feel your criticism of GuruMeditation was unfair. The project failed for a lot of reasons, GuruMeditation mishandling the project was not one of them.

In fairness, I think I better rephrase what I said: Guru Meditation didn't handle the PR well. Didn't keep those interested (of which I was one) informed of what was going on.
I come here daily (even without a working Amiga) and keep fairly well informed, so it's strange I never noticed anything regarding DOpus Mag.

Quote:
You run into a little problem here though, you don't know what they did or didn't do. How can you express your views about something you don't know anything about?

I obviously agree I don't know what was done about it.
But I do know, and that's what I thought was "strange", that they never tried to get help from within the community, at least publicly.
He had the right not to pursue that, but I still think it was a mistake.

At one time, DOpus Mag was highly regarded and surely many would be interested. Now, years later, as you can see from the recent posts, it has been forgotten and many wonder "what the big deal about DOpus is?".

Toaks 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 17:58:19
#104 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

to me its not about opening the source, to me its about getting it ported to all my Amiga's and /or clones.

so my donation would go towards a port really but i have no issues donating a huge lump of cash to the project but then i need to know of people who's willingly taking the job of a OS4 port etc.

anyway i'd easily donate 400-500 euro's as a start bounty.

And as i have said before, if there is progress shown (by public betas etc) then i will donate even more (although that would not be to GPsoft but to the actual developers/porters of the Opensourced Dopus MAG 2 sources)

PS: thanks for trying to get DopusMag2 opensourced!, you will be my hero if you get it signed :)

itix 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 18:48:39
#105 ]
Elite Member

@Toaks

I don't understand why anyone would have to get paid for such simple porting job. Write new makefile, fix hooks, processes and vararg calls, what else?

Rather spend your precious money on GPSoft who wrote this fine piece of software.

Last edited by itix on 25-Jan-2012 at 06:56 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 19:06:15
#106 ]
AROS Core Developer

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@Toaks

I don't understand why anyone would have to get paid for such simple porting job. Write new makefile, fix hooks, processes and vararg calls, what else?

Rather spend your precious money on GPSoft who wrote this fine piece of software.

+1 :)

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Toaks 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 19:14:20
#107 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@Toaks

you reckon it will be that easy?

feel free to do it and i will send you cash aswell :)

AmiKit 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 19:16:34
#108 ]

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
I will initiate the bounty as planned. It is clear that it is about open the source (not porting it to any platform). Who is interested in it can donate, who has a different view shall not...

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
That all really simply. All camps trow the money and we will have open project. One who want will donate, another one will not.

Guys, I agree. 4000 EUR for the sources. Okay. But are you sure you can collect such a money? Imagine a standard end-user. Why should he/she donate? What's the outcome for him/her? And what are the "sources" anyway he/she might ask?

You get it? Think like an end user. There's no real outcome for donors and therefore I think it will be difficult to raise the money. At least not so quickly. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. But if you can, increase the chances of raising the money. Think one or two steps forward and come up with a plan. A plan that would sounds reasonable for donors and make them donate. Tell them why should they spend their money. Start negotiating with someone who can port it, for example. Or call this bounty PHASE 1 at least. And design the PHASE 2 in advance. Whatever!

kas1e 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 19:21:44
#109 ]
Elite Member

@AmiKit

Quote:

Guys, I agree. 4000 EUR for the sources. Okay. But are you sure you can collect such a money?

Yes, we sure. With my help we collect 1000 euro for djnick , just for send him sam460, for making design and other artwork. 4000 for quality software which will benefit all the caps are nothing in compare. Of course we will create normal PR newses and other sutff when time will come, no need to worry and think that we understand nothing :)

Quote:

Imagine a standard end-user. Why should he/she donate? What's the outcome for him/her? And what are the "sources" anyway he/she might ask?

You get it? Think like an end user.

You can be sure we know how do PR and i am sure we will collect 4000. Its all discussed already on different boards (and in that topic too) for last week. You imho too late and not get full picture. We already know all what you say, and there is no need to repeat it like we childs who first time to something and do not know how to do the stuff :)

@Itix
While it can sounds easy, i curios why other programmers who works for guru-mediation not do it then ? Perchaps there are some little problems and parts which need to fix. But for sure, there should't be many as it 99% on C.

Last edited by kas1e on 25-Jan-2012 at 07:22 PM.

AmiKit 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 19:27:17
#110 ]

@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
no need to worry and think that we understand nothing :)

We already know all what you say, and there is no need to repeat it like we childs who first time to something and do not know how to do the stuff :)

I just wanted to point out what's important. Don't take it personally, mate.
Good luck.

wawa 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 19:34:40
#111 ]
Elite Member

alright. thats crazy if toaks will shell out 500 but then ist cool. time to check out how i may donate again.
@olaf: i didnt want to disencourage you. at the moment the current is good. i see there is a lot interest. likely enough to get the bouty completed. just check it to be water proof with p2p. and if guys like itix or kas1e help out it might work out.

Last edited by wawa on 25-Jan-2012 at 07:35 PM.

kas1e 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 19:36:12
#112 ]
Elite Member

@AmiKit

Quote:

I just wanted to point out what's important. Don't take it personally, mate.
Good luck.

Nothing personally here for sure :) We will make all the best to get the money. I personally in high interst to have opus sources, at least AROS will have something in destop area which at least can be on the level of os3.9, and even for os4 it can be good replacement.

All in all in end we can expand it with functionality as well. Its just good old base , and as for me its really worth of 4000euro.

itix 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 20:03:30
#113 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:

While it can sounds easy, i curios why other programmers who works for guru-mediation not do it then ? Perchaps there are some little problems and parts which need to fix. But for sure, there should't be many as it 99% on C.

They couldn't run 68k version on OS4 and compare functionality.

kas1e 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 20:08:29
#114 ]
Elite Member

@itix
Quote:

Haha :) But seriusly imho there is just some asm-based parts which can be not that easy as expected. Thats in general the only real parts about which i can think.

Toaks 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 20:27:29
#115 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@kas1e

Quote:

hoho,nice joke there...

nothing stops anyone from running it in Classic Amiga,WinUAE(or Euae etc) or MorphOS though, i am pretty sure they had atleast one of the 3.

Last edited by Toaks on 25-Jan-2012 at 08:28 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 21:25:12
#116 ]
Team Member

@BrandonLee

Quote:
But I do know, and that's what I thought was "strange", that they never tried to get help from within the community, at least publicly.
He had the right not to pursue that, but I still think it was a mistake.

At the time GuruMeditation had an extensive network of contacts, so getting in touch with developers probably wasn't the problem. The people working on it were quite high-profile developers in our community anyway.

number6 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 21:29:09
#117 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Let's not forget that the years in question (2005-2009) we (1)had no hardware and (2)the parent companies were embroiled in a lawsuit.

Neither of these things is exactly prone to spur talk of development especially with no guarantee that such development would ever see the light of day.

It helps to look at these things in context of the times.

Zylesea 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 21:36:27
#118 ]
Elite Member

@AmiKit

Quote:

AmiKit wrote:

Guys, I agree. 4000 EUR for the sources. Okay. But are you sure you can collect such a money? Imagine a standard end-user. Why should he/she donate? What's the outcome for him/her? And what are the "sources" anyway he/she might ask?

You get it? Think like an end user.

Do you really think end users are that narrow minded not to see that opening the source is the prerequisite to get a port? Once opened someone will port if for the fun of it or pizza/beer money. The source is not from a an allien OS. No, it is finest Amiga source code, 99% C and well documented as Olaf cited from a mail.
Not that I am experienced enough to do it myself, but the prob here is not the port, but to obtain the source.

AmiKit 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 21:56:53
#119 ]

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
Do you really think end users are that narrow minded not to see that opening the source is the prerequisite to get a port? Once opened someone will port if for the fun of it or pizza/beer money. The source is not from a an allien OS. No, it is finest Amiga source code, 99% C and well documented as Olaf cited from a mail.
Not that I am experienced enough to do it myself, but the prob here is not the port, but to obtain the source.

I just pointed out some possible bottlenecks.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 22:56:29
#120 ]

@zerohero

Quote:
At the time GuruMeditation had an extensive network of contacts, so getting in touch with developers probably wasn't the problem. The people working on it were quite high-profile developers in our community anyway.

Which makes me wonder what exactly happened for development to stop...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle