Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  31 mins ago
 DWolfman:  40 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 24 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 44 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 34 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Bounties
      /  Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 14:36:35
#61 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

I have given all informations directly to power2people so I am not negotiating anymore. The "naming" will be clear when the bounty is created. I have sent a email again to power2people to clarify the "naming".

Profile     Report this post  
BrandonLee 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 14:48:13
#62 ]

@zerohero

Quote:
feel it's quite important to not blame GuruMeditation here.

While I think GuruMeditations actions were well meaning, I can't ignore the fact that it was not handled well.
I'm sure there are more to blame, but the fact is this project died without any feedback being given to the community or any attempts made to make it work (after it started going bad).

Most here, me included, didn't even know there were problems with the porting. Well, after a few years, it was obvious something was wrong, but it was never reported to the community, AFAIK.
I don't know, but at the time, something could have been sorted out to allow the project to survive.

So,it's not really "blaming" Guru Meditation, it´s stating it wasn't handled well.
A real shame, I must say.

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 14:52:02
#63 ]
Elite Member

@BrandonLee

it is how it is. In "Amigaland" a lot of strange things happened. When the source is open everyone can do it better.

number6 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 15:30:19
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Toaks

Quote:
You can get it to run on OS4 but it requires fiddling and its prone to crash from time to time and yeah.

V5.11 isn't full Magellan desktop replacement, but I've also -not- seen it crash. You can open as many listers as you want.

@Deniil715 

Quote:
I never used Magellan as WB replacement. DOpus is a file manager, not a desktop environment.

see above.

@danwood

Quote:
I wonder what breaks it on OS4 yet works on MOS?

see above.

@OlafS25

Quote:
He only said that Opus is going deep in the system and they faced some problems there.

Dopus Magellan maybe, V5.11 obviously not so deep.

So...what would be the harm in asking about the sources for earlier versions that work on OS4.x? Could something be learned from that?

Last edited by number6 on 24-Jan-2012 at 03:32 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 15:35:32
#65 ]
Elite Member

@number6

The correspondence I had was about Magellan II (5.82). I did not think there is need or interest in older versions. Version 4 is free already.

The general interest is in the newest version of course, but of course it is no problem to ask for older source.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 24-Jan-2012 at 03:37 PM.

mpiva 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 16:37:47
#66 ]

Quote:

BrandonLee wrote:
@zerohero

Most here, me included, didn't even know there were problems with the porting. Well, after a few years, it was obvious something was wrong, but it was never reported to the community, AFAIK.
I don't know, but at the time, something could have been sorted out to allow the project to survive.

I agree. Even if they had released a version 5.90 that was still mostly 68k but included fixes to allow it to run under AmigaOS 4.x I think a lot of people would have been happier and it might have renewed some interest in the project. But like you said, they never said anything to to community so there was no indication that they could have used another developer or two to help them complete the port.

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 17:48:57
#67 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

a idea for the bounty (text):

Description:
Open the source of Directory Opus Magellan II (5.82) 68k

Source-code purchase of GPSofts Directory Opus Magellan II (5.82) for free use under APL. The Name "Directory Opus Magellan" can be used on Amiga (Amiga here is 68k, Aros, MorphOS, AmigaOS) without further permission. Bounty will be paid after integration "as is" into the AROS SVN.

Bounty goal: 5200$

What shall i change?

vox 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 19:36:11
#68 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

How much is it in Euros?
It would be real nice to see Magellan coming back to AmigaOS (MOS, AROS) ...

Snuffy 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 20:38:22
#69 ]

@OlafS25
...Magellan II ...and how much would you want to have for it?
Don't understand your question. You mean, how much would I pay for it, yes?
I don't remember how much Opus 5/MagellanII cost me 15 years ago... Fifty bucks... don't remember...but...
What do you think? Should we make a bounty?
Old horses and old sailors don't run fast any more! I'll put my money else where...sorry.
BTW, Orgin went out of his way to bring us a damn fine file manager... I like it because it's reminicent of my favorite file manager Class Action. I wasn't a Dopus user very much...

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 22:24:37
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Snuffy

hmm you seem to be the only one who does not know it

GPSoft is willing to opensource Directory Opus Magellan II for 5200$ and I want to make a bounty for it

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 22:25:08
#71 ]
Elite Member

@vox

about 4000 EUR

zerohero 
Posted on 24-Jan-2012 23:33:55
#72 ]
Team Member

@BrandonLee

Quote:
I'm sure there are more to blame, but the fact is this project died without any feedback being given to the community or any attempts made to make it work (after it started going bad).

I'm not sure I agree that a privately owned company would owe the community feedback on one of their projects at all. If they wanted to share information with us, fine, if not, equally fine. Besides, several attempts were made to fix this problem, including hiring several developers, all of them failed for one reason or the other.

Quote:
Most here, me included, didn't even know there were problems with the porting.

GuruMeditation released a press release about it, I'm sure Number6 has the link somewhere in his giant link-archive.

Quote:
So,it's not really "blaming" Guru Meditation, it´s stating it wasn't handled well.

Do you even know what GuruMeditation tried, or didn't try, to do for this project? I very much doubt you do, to be honest.

Quote:

As you can see in this thread, there was a time limit to the license, during that time there was plenty of developers on the project. So it wasn't like GuruMeditation didn't try to sort things out, developers failed for different reasons. Bad luck, or whatever, but not something GuruMeditation could have handled a lot better. You can't predict everything, that's impossible.

EDIT:
Spelling. Bah!

Last edited by zerohero on 24-Jan-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Toaks 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 7:28:50
#73 ]
Elite Member

@number6

by all means i do not want 5.11, i always hated Magellan (and Dopus5) until the superior and much more friendly Dopus Magellan II (Dopus 5.82).

That said, i didnt know 5.11 worked, i haven't got it anymore so no way for me to test it.

@Olaf

i will support this project, but please find a developer before you actually set bounty goals (atleast final ones).
Also, will a port be free or will it be shareware etc?
I personally think that the guys in charge of the porting should get some sort of money for it (like a restricted version until you register for a key etc).
Ofcourse this has to be up to GPsoft too , as in if they would allow anyone to make money on porting it.

@Brandonlee

Andreas Loong did all he could to get DopusMAGII onto OS4.

@Itix

I don't really recall anymore, i am getting old as i keep mixing and forgetting things :I
I am sure Andreas Could fill you in on this. (all i do remember was that the programmers/coders who tried gave up or lost interest/had no time in the project.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 9:01:43
#74 ]
Elite Member

@Toaks

it will be opensource like poseidon, so everyone can do with it what he likes to do. The first step (and the bounty) is to free the source. It is a cross-platform bounty not aimed at one platform.

realize 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 9:04:16
#75 ]

@mpiva

Its weird I'm running Dopus 5.x on peg2 with Morphos 2.7 and it runs perfect (escept no png icon support) Wonder why it wont run on os4? But then again Morphos is more compatible to legacy 68k stuff.. which is quite strange should be os4.

Leo 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 10:22:34
#76 ]

Quote:

But then again Morphos is more compatible to legacy 68k stuff.. which is quite strange should be os4.

Why?

vox 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 12:08:03
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:
But then again Morphos is more compatible to legacy 68k stuff.. which is quite strange should be os4.

Its expected since its same AmigaOS moved to PPC non AGA, OS structure is the same. However, that is just basic assumption, people that know of MOS, know there is far superior powerpc library and WarpOS support that is missing from OS4. As said, even legacy 68k software runs better (faster, more software working out of box).

A proof MOS is carefully done, longer developed = better in this segment.

Back on topic, since 4 000 euros is just open sourcing, and doesn`t mean a real port or development, its kind of way too much, even code itself worths.

A patch that would allow Magellan to run on OS 4 and AROS without emulation would be enough. Sadly, Guru Meditation was unable to do at least that, even they promised full OS4 port in short time, making almost a pre sale (listed item as coming in near future).

Last edited by vox on 25-Jan-2012 at 12:08 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 12:17:38
#78 ]
Elite Member

@vox

4000 EUR is not too much for such a big project. That is my view.

vulture 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 12:23:17
#79 ]

@OlafS25

I'm not against the project per se nor do I think that 4000 euros are too much for the source of such a fine-crafted program. But, what important thing will we get that we don't already have with Filer which is free and still actively developed?

wawa 
Posted on 25-Jan-2012 12:27:23
#80 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

imho it is only worth to invest into it if someone will really pick up the task of compiling and upgrading magellan at best for all platforms, and given the complexity of the project this is much more difficult to ensure than just freeing the source. atop of that any potential developer candidate cannot make up his mind yet as source is closed. i would hate to see it swallow money and then remain with no effects like the firefox bounty or the like..

frankly i have no high hopes about it. see how long it takes for scalos to arrive on aros. on the other hand if there is already a dedicated developer (especially if he even knows the source) like in case of poseidon bounty, then it makes sence. but platon has initiated that himself..

Last edited by wawa on 25-Jan-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 25-Jan-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle