Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  30 mins ago
 fordprefect:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 redfox:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
-Sam- 
Re: Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 17:33:36
#101 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Looking forward to your monday that surely will not be blue

It may still be as It's only shipping out Monday. I don't expect to receive it until Tuesday at the earliest.

Profile     Report this post  
Zylesea 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 18:28:09
#102 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDog

AFAIK AmigaOS is netto able to address 31 bit only (and not te full 32 Bit), hence RAM ammount is limited to 2 GB, not 4 GB.

BigD 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 19:12:20
#103 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Back on topic, X1000 is not ready for general sales - in terms of higher production run and full support of OS 4.2.

Interesting! When is the General Sales launch rumoured to be? I'm excited about the Aliens:Colonial Marines game from Sega and was hoping to buy some new hardware to run that. Maybe we could get Gearbox & Sega on-board and make a launch title for this Autumn!

BrandonLee 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 19:16:32
#104 ]

I too am leaning towards buying a Mac. Not the Mac Pro, but probably the iMac.
The report here that Mac OS gets slower and slower with time goes against all I read in the past few months.

I'd always prefer to stay with Amiga, but the price is way too high, IMHO.

I have to say that, all things being equal, the AmigaOS is definitely better than all others. The only "if", and a big one, is that...there is(almost) no software!
And that alone makes it hard to invest so much in the X1000, even if I had that money.

samo79 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 19:21:54
#105 ]
Elite Member

The lives of all Europeans worsened dramatically after the fall of the Soviet Union, for Western countries also the Soviet Union was a big stop (moderation) for the predatory capitalism ...

In my country (Italy) we had for 50 years the largest Communist party in Western Europe at that time there was the right of job, houses for all ppls at very low price, hospitals for free and any other possible goods, then all was privatized and general poverty is skyrocketing ... now with that suck EU we lost also the political/economy sovranity and bankers are very happy to predate us ..

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

K-L 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 19:30:10
#106 ]

@samo79

Are you still on topic ? Or even with us ?

BigD 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 19:32:09
#107 ]
Elite Member

@BrandonLee

Quote:
I have to say that, all things being equal, the AmigaOS is definitely better than all others. The only "if", and a big one, is that...there is(almost) no software! And that alone makes it hard to invest so much in the X1000, even if I had that money.

There doesn't seem to be any swell of third part software developer support for the X1000 launch. Is Trevor/Hyperion pressing the flesh with likes of Irseesoft developers Stefan Donhauser & Florian Zeiler (Turboprint), Paul Nolan, CEO of Idruna (Photogenics), Team17 (AlienBreed Trilogy - Next Gen 3D game?)

People seem happy that we have a big slab of PCB and microchips with the ability to open and close windows in the Amiga way but we need to cover all bases here! I don't believe the Amiga community has the next Bill Gates in its ranks right now so we need to get some developers on board! The Amiga has some passionate and gifted people involved in the cause but we need more with proven track records in software development (Hyperion aside obviously ).

marko 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 19:42:54
#108 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@-Sam-

m4rko.com/AMIGA

realize 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 19:48:38
#109 ]

@BigD

Very good points.. and some notes for you:

1. Turbo Print : forget it. Irsee soft moved on long ago. I explored this when with genesi it would have required thousands back then and they didnt even know if they had the time or wanted the project. This was like 2003. So forget it now

2. Photogenics. Defunct. Forget it. Paul Nolan could care less.

wawa 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 20:02:21
#110 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

still i think you project too much into this. x1k is a private initiative ment for fellow hobbyists. a serious business plan must have been something completely different. then it could include investment into third party software development, proper pr and perhaps an attempt at establishing a platform. lets stick to what it really is and see how it actually suits each of us. personally, the chance that i will be be attracted by this is close to *0* but nevertheless, it doesnt hurt to argue. at least it doesnt hurt me.

Last edited by wawa on 28-Jan-2012 at 08:02 PM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 20:45:54
#111 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

>>opening windows? how s that influenced by hdd choice, especially on amiga? its not that you need a swap i suppose?

Just reporting the great improvements in everyday operations. SSD makes HDD feel obsolete and I am running a SATA 3 SSD on a SATA 1 controller.

The same SSD on my pc with SATA 3 is blisteringly fast.

Connecting a good SSD like the OCZ Agility 3 to the little SAM has made a massive difference.

I still have a swap partition but other people say it's not necessary, I am keeping it

Last edited by TheDaddy on 28-Jan-2012 at 08:51 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 21:26:52
#112 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy
but the question still stands: but how does the speed of the harddisk influence the speed of opening windows on your system or do you mean loading applications by it?

Last edited by wawa on 28-Jan-2012 at 09:27 PM.

vox 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 21:57:27
#113 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

Quote:
In my country (Italy) we had for 50 years the largest Communist party in Western Europe at that time there was the right of job, houses for all ppls at very low price, hospitals for free and any other possible goods, then all was privatized and general poverty is skyrocketing ... now with that suck EU we lost also the political/economy sovranity and bankers are very happy to predate us ..

Seems same kind of more "exploit" capitalism wave has crashed some of nice social benefits in England, France, Greece, Spain, Italy ... A syndrome of uncertainity and higher prices of living, in despite of united EU market and Chinese produced low priced industry goods (less and less goods are manufactured in Europe) has come with this new economical crisis, like the one in 30s. This time as other face of too much consumer credits in the US, and other high level policies, but we all pay the price of it in lessen benefits and higher work hours.

Yes, this meditation on the state of affairs seems to be off-topic (but was brought by accusation Amiga Kit shop is communist since they don`t have X1000 sale page).

Important its hash times people tend to cut on luxory everywhere, not the best time to have X1000 out at these prices. And is still interesting to see how much people are willing to sacrifice.

Agreed, no matter do we buy SAM, Peg, MacMini, X1000 ... weakest points of MOS, OS 4 and AROS PPC are the lack of basic productivity apps.

After Timberwolf, some kind of Office is must have. Hardware is no longer excuse.

How much would cost to hire e.g. Open Office team to do a port? (even agree on the issue Amiga native office would do better)

Off course, these kind of projects would have to involve Hyperion, since to my understanding there is not much documentation on OS 4 so they have to be consultants. That would be a win win investment. Hope Hyperion sees these too ...

Last edited by vox on 28-Jan-2012 at 09:58 PM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 23:32:09
#114 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

>>but the question still stands: but how does the speed of the harddisk influence the speed of opening windows on your system or do you mean loading applications by it?

I mean opening windows and the icons appearing inside.
I think it's down to the read speed of the SSD? Someone more technical than me can explain.

Anyway my SAM is a lot faster, remember 666MHz SoC cpu with OS4.1 update 4 no other tricks

I like running Quake 1 and Quake 2 at the same time with just a bit of slowing down...

realize 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 23:50:47
#115 ]

@TheDaddy

Well on my Peg2's UDMA IDE controller windows and icons open almost instantly. I see no need to justify expense of SSD. I have dual 200mb Maxtor Diamond Max 7200rpm drives.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 0:21:51
#116 ]

@BigD

Sadly, I must agree with you.

The OS is great, as it always has been, but you can do less and less with it. The years of dormancy and uncertainty delivered serious blows and it's difficult to recover.
Many developers left and few, if any, will come back, after becoming acostumed to having a real market and machines that basically do everything you need (albeit in a way that tends to annoy you, instead of making it a real pleasure (yet, after a while it becomes...less and less of a chore).
But you can DO stuff. You have access to all kinds of tools.

I don't know what can be done to solve this, if anything.

The X1000 seems wonderful, but what can be expected in terms of software in the comings months? And if software remains a dream, what will you do the quality hardware?

This is really a crossroads for me. And one I'm having trouble being reaonable about.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 0:26:21
#117 ]

@vox

Quote:
How much would cost to hire e.g. Open Office team to do a port? (even agree on the issue Amiga native office would do better)

This has already been talked about for almost a decade. Never gave any fruits.
It's hard to tempt programmers when you have no potential clients.

Antique 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 0:27:52
#118 ]
Cult Member

@BrandonLee

I think programmers, like other are tempted by money. Give them enough money and they will do it i think.

RodTerl 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 1:23:19
#119 ]
Cult Member

How and will the SDK for the PA6T CPU and associate hardware of the AX1000 be available at any point, the bit patterns for the op codes not only of the CPU but also all the offload modules, the timing diagrams of opcode execution, memory access etc?

Will there be a detailed breakdown of the description of the startup routine, if it uses 16, 32, 64 bit BIOS initialisation and transfer, or if it starts with Uboot, Kickstart 32 bit to initialise 64 bit operation?

Are Radeon graphics cards limited to 16 bit Intel BIOS calls on startup, or is there alternatives possible if available?

After seeing the 68030 has a basic Blitter built in, it will be a great loss if the AXK cant be used for many years to its full power because of the unavailability of a piece of paper. 8(

thinkchip 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 4:12:35
#120 ]

@RodTerl

I think you put your finger on a basic question. It's well known that the X1000 has a dual-core CPU, but there's very little discussion from official sources when or if OS4 will ever support multiple cores. In fact I don't know if it's necessary for the OS to support dual-cores or if that's up to the individual software packages.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle