Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  OneTimer1,  Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  8 secs ago
 Hammer:  3 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  10 mins ago
 kolla:  14 mins ago
 Rob:  33 mins ago
 matthey:  37 mins ago
 corb0:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 4:34:03
#121 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy
hmm, might be, though i think the lag is rather introduced by cpu decoding the png (or whatever format the icons are) rather than hd throughtput. im not sure if ssd has an advantage on random reads, even though i doesnt need to mechanically move heads over the disk. for sure it doesnt need to spin up from sustain.

Profile     Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 8:55:02
#122 ]
Elite Member

@realize

>>Well on my Peg2's UDMA IDE controller windows and icons open almost instantly. I see no need to justify expense of SSD. I have dual 200mb Maxtor Diamond Max 7200rpm drives

Then you are missing out...

I have ditched the 7200rpm 160GB HD completely and just using it for storage, the SAM 440 boots from the 60GB SSD and it's great, I just wish it had SATA3 controller to make it even faster!

OldFart 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 9:38:27
#123 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@BigD

Quote:
People seem happy that we have a big slab of PCB and microchips with the ability to open and close windows in the Amiga way but we need to cover all bases here! I don't believe the Amiga community has the next Bill Gates in its ranks right now so we need to get some developers on board! The Amiga has some passionate and gifted people involved in the cause but we need more with proven track records in software development ().

Some valid points you make here.
People indeed sem to be happy with a big slab of PCB etc.,etc. and rightfully so! It is the first board since EON's specifically designed with Amiga OS in mind. It is a sign that there is still life in the concept.
That windows do open and close is also a good sign as it proofs that the OS is healthy, albeit not quite up-to-date. This latter won't change overnight, I'm afraid.
A Bill Gates is not neccessary, not even desired, in a community like that of Amiga. A single controlling body is both a curse and a blessing at one and the same time. That what was inspired by Mr Gates is the full proof of it being a curse. The blessing is that things get uniformised. To the point of dying.
The developers we so direly need, and indeed we do!, will grow from the ranks of 'our' incrowd, as like you say, the Amiga has some passionate and gifted people involved in the cause. When the documentation is correct and up to date and augmented with tons of examplecode, the developers will rise again. But don't rely to much on the 'passed glory' developers of yesterday. We need fresh ones, not ones burdened with knowledge from what the Amiga 'once' was and stood for.
It is a good thing that well designed and properly built software from the 68k heydays still runs in the new environment. It also is a good thing that existing, non-native software is being ported to Amiga, but what we actually need is software which is natively built for the Amiga and for tha Amiga alone, to make full exploit of its potential.

OldFart

CodeSmith 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 9:44:00
#124 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Well... yes and no. We used to have our own "Bill Gates" in the form of Jack Tramiel, and he may have been a right terror to work with but under his command Commodore went up like a rocket. Things only started going downhill when he got kicked out of his own company in 1984, and in fact Atari (Tramiel's company after CBM) survived longer than Commodore did - in 1996 Tramiel sold it to some Japanese company.

OldFart 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 10:10:32
#125 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
(less and less goods are manufactured in Europe)

You are so right here and this is going on for some decades now, actually since WW II. We made our labourers too expensive by taxing them too much. And that tax revenue is used by the government to maintain some left-wing hobby projects, like free health care, cheap housing, etc., which are very labour-intensive and, hence, less and less endurable.
Wasn't it Karl Marx who in his famous book 'Das Kapitall' stated that the price of a good is a cumulation of costs of labour and costs of labour only? Well, if you keep on adding tax to labour, in the end your production becomes too expensive and will be moved to 'low wages' countries, like China (and in the '60's to Japan, in the '80's to Korea).
By the way, governmental expenses in any country of the world invariably consists of direct wages for the lion's share, and applying Karl Marx' statement here, it actually is 100%!
So in order to get the world turning again, refrain from tax on wages, tax on sales to control the use of certain (types of) goods, and institutions and organisations which can't hold up their own pants should be left by the wayside. Everybody should be resposible for his own well-being and only he/she.

Oh, while I'm at it: liberate the use of softdrugs. A clever government would even give it a place under the sun of excise on fuel, tobacco and spirits and so provide for (eventually quite) some tax-income. Besides, bringing it under govermental control, will pry it away from criminals, so even less criminality, which *I* think is a boon!

This has drifted rather OT, hasn't it?

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 10:18:40
#126 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
x1k is a private initiative ment for fellow hobbyists. a serious business plan must have been something completely different.

Well, of course X1000 is an initiative meant for hobbyists, but that does not mean that providing the means for excercising a hobby could not be made according to a healthy business plan!
Electric modeltrains are quite simmilar: no-one would make a business out of setting up a railplan an let some toytrains run around, yet the companies, manufacturing those scale models, do work according to a business plan (of late not quite so healthy...).
Or TV sets: you can't make your living from watching TV all day, ut the electronics companies do! According to a plan of business.

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 10:27:29
#127 ]
Elite Member

@Antique

Quote:
I think programmers, like other are tempted by money. Give them enough money and they will do it i think.

In a "normal' world I would agree with you, but this is the realm of the Amiga, we're talking about : different laws yield here (or so we think). I don't think money is the main issue. One first needs to portrait a function, design some software for a niche market. Make it available 'turn key', meaning H/W AND S/W in one go.
Remember: greed comes in at a later stadium, but it *will* come.

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 10:35:42
#128 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

To myself:
Haven't you got something better to do like last-week's dishes and/or some vacuumcleaning? (And the loo could use a serious brush-up!)
Alright, alright! I'm off!

OldFart

P.s.: Must be getting old: talking to myself. Pha!

koft 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 10:40:19
#129 ]

@BrandonLee

Quote:

BrandonLee wrote:
I too am leaning towards buying a Mac. Not the Mac Pro, but probably the iMac.
The report here that Mac OS gets slower and slower with time goes against all I read in the past few months.

OS X doesn't suffer anywhere near as bad from "cruft accumulation" slowing down the system over time. But as with any situation, it's highly dependent on the users' computing habits.

The iMac is nice, I've got a 27" core i7 model. Has some drawbacks though. Not anywhere near enough USB ports in my opinion. My model doesn't have an eSata port in the back. Gaining access to the hard drive is a real pain in the nuts. Have to take a toilet plunger to the glass to pry it off, then unscrew the LCD panel and physically remove it to get there. Void the warranty for sure. It's picky about drives, use the wrong one and the fans will go off full throttle because of some sensor issue. Basically, you don't mess around in the iMac.

The power plug in the back of these things is nice and loose, if the cord catches on the stand in the slightest bit when swiveling the screen, it'll pop out. The wireless keyboard and mouse disconnect and reconnect several times a day, despite being 6" away from the unit. Bizarre.

Apple advertised this thing as having some 5xxx series Radeon, turned out it was a laptop part, and really a 4xxx series. The gig of vram suddenly doesn't seem as impressive. No possibility of upgrade either. Dishonest advertising in my opinion. Think about it, 2600 USD for a core i7 machine, and it's got a 4xxx radeon mobility...

Lion is pretty slick, though I have to reboot it once a week because it starts acting flakey. Applications I primarily use: Google Chrome, Mathematica, Xcode 4, VM Ware fusion, gobs of terminal windows.

Last edited by koft on 29-Jan-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Last edited by koft on 29-Jan-2012 at 10:42 AM.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 14:57:04
#130 ]

@Antique

Quote:
I think programmers, like other are tempted by money. Give them enough money and they will do it i think

Unfortunately, money is not exactly in stock at the moment...

Barret 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 16:22:24
#131 ]

@BrandonLee

Must be on factory backorder

vox 
Posted on 29-Jan-2012 21:54:52
#132 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:
You are so right here and this is going on for some decades now, actually since WW II. We made our labourers too expensive by taxing them too much. And that tax revenue is used by the government to maintain some left-wing hobby projects, like free health care, cheap housing, etc., which are very labour-intensive and, hence, less and less endurable. Wasn't it Karl Marx who in his famous book 'Das Kapitall' stated that the price of a good is a cumulation of costs of labour and costs of labour only? Well, if you keep on adding tax to labour, in the end your production becomes too expensive and will be moved to 'low wages' countries, like China (and in the '60's to Japan, in the '80's to Korea). By the way, governmental expenses in any country of the world invariably consists of direct wages for the lion's share, and applying Karl Marx' statement here, it actually is 100%! So in order to get the world turning again, refrain from tax on wages, tax on sales to control the use of certain (types of) goods, and institutions and organisations which can't hold up their own pants should be left by the wayside. Everybody should be resposible for his own well-being and only he/she.

While people enjoy cheap commodities of all kinds (kind of fake raise of standard) made in China, in reality there is no more working class, small shops and trades because its hard to compete to Chinese labor prices. All of us are directed to some kind of service sector, but without production export is low as well as employment is hard to boost: its now obvious in time of crisis that almost total export of production is wrong choice.

Don`t have anything against heavy taxation as long as it brings social security and stability: once any of us in situation where he cannot afford health, education or some needed social services this kind of pro-socalist system shows to be a existential need, just because no one will be healthy, productive and lucky for ever.

It doesn`t have to be on average jobs, it can be on alchol, soft drugs, expensive cars, high end wages etc.

Quote:
(
Oh, while I'm at it: liberate the use of softdrugs. A clever government would even give it a place under the sun of excise on fuel, tobacco and spirits and so provide for (eventually quite) some tax-income. Besides, bringing it under govermental control, will pry it away from criminals, so even less criminality, which *I* think is a boon!
This has drifted rather OT, hasn't it?
OldFart

Completely agreed with all points: when comparing effects of ganja (ab)use to acohol and tobacco one, there is no scientific proof that holds prohibition reliable. Especially hemp has many uses, including biodisel.

Crisis time will make capitalism change: problem is just we don`t know how.
Will we continue to feel like victims or the winners?

ChrisH 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 19:53:45
#133 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart Quote:
Well, of course X1000 is an initiative meant for hobbyists, but that does not mean that providing the means for excercising a hobby could not be made according to a healthy business plan!
Electric modeltrains are quite simmilar: no-one would make a business out of setting up a railplan an let some toytrains run around, yet the companies, manufacturing those scale models, do work according to a business plan (of late not quite so healthy...).
Or TV sets: you can't make your living from watching TV all day, ut the electronics companies do! According to a plan of business.

Yeah, I am puzzled why a couple of people here claim that selling something TO hobbyists must mean that the seller themselves is doing it for a hobby!?! Hobbyists can potentially be a very large market

And Trevor has said enough times that the A1-X1000 is his attempt to expand the Amiga market!

Last edited by ChrisH on 30-Jan-2012 at 08:02 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 19:58:11
#134 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip Quote:
there's very little discussion from official sources when or if OS4 will ever support multiple cores.

We have been officially told that SMP (aka dual-core support) is planned for AmigaOS4. It was publically revealed over a year ago at AmiWest, and subsequently reconfirmed a few times.

Quote:
In fact I don't know if it's necessary for the OS to support dual-cores or if that's up to the individual software packages.

Hyperion have given NO indications how SMP will be implemented by OS4, and I do not expect any (at least until they have it well tested). But I do have my own ideas how they would do it...

ChrisH 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 20:00:56
#135 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam- Quote:
How out of date is the OS4 E-UAE and how would we get it updated?

I believe that our current E-UAE is based upon sources that were last updated around 2005, but I could be wrong.

But E-UAE works well enough for most cases (the CD32 is an exception) that this doesn't matter IMHO. And for all we know, someone may be working on updating it . Certainly we do know that someone is working on adding JIT to E-UAE.

Last edited by ChrisH on 30-Jan-2012 at 08:04 PM.

realize 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 21:03:47
#136 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
Certainly we do know that someone is working on adding JIT to E-UAE.

Yes, when the JIT for uae is finished combined with your efforts with run in uae integration it will be awesome. From a fresh install of u4 i've been launching adf right from wb in 640x480 and they are centered nicely and run well! The only cd32 title hard locked my peg2 :( (Video creator)

realize 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 21:04:58
#137 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
We have been officially told that SMP (aka dual-core support) is planned for AmigaOS4

here we go again... (sigh) you cant go SMP without BREAKING LEGACY 68K COMPATIBILITY. Morphos guys looked at this for a long time.. and never implemented it for this very reason.

hotrod 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 21:09:19
#138 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

I watched a clip on youtube and Ben Hermans mentioned that it at least wouldn't be limited to 2 or 4 (don't remember) cores like Windows NT did... I think that's what he said, been a while since I watched it. But that is pretty much all the information that I've been able to find. What it comes down to is that it should be future proof if/when other models are released using CPUs with more cores.

KimmoK 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 21:22:30
#139 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Care to explain why it would break 68k compatibility (more than what executive did)?

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Anonymous 
Posted on 30-Jan-2012 21:25:38
# ]

@realize

Quote:
here we go again... (sigh) you cant go SMP without BREAKING LEGACY 68K COMPATIBILITY. Morphos guys looked at this for a long time.. and never implemented it for this very reason.

So you break legacy 68k compatibility and maybe you run legacy apps in a sandbox. The MorphOS devs never ruled that out and they even presented it as a possibility last November. See the presentation at Alchemy.

IFAIK the issue was never feasibility, just that it's a shedload of work!

Chris

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle