Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 80 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 JimS:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Hans:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 Kremlar:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  4 hrs 48 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
cheesegrate 
Re: Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 4:34:37
#201 ]

Quote:
P.S. I will be in favour of moderating ANYONE who categorically says that something controversial (on this site) is "impossible" or "fantasy", as this can be inflamatory.

Wow, just wow. I really hope kas1e banning is big wakeup call for him and he stops wasting his time on an ungrateful andl uninformed community and sticks to aros and mos.

Last edited by cheesegrate on 04-Feb-2012 at 04:35 AM.

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

Profile     Report this post  
realize 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 6:43:08
#202 ]

(edited for fear of ban)

Last edited by realize on 04-Feb-2012 at 06:44 AM.

samo79 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 8:48:42
#203 ]
Elite Member

@cheesegrate

The temporaly kas1e's ban decision (if I understood correctly) is just a very stupid idea because at some point he start to search for it intentionally and this was quite obvious, but we all know how it's matured, it comes from your (and from a couple of other) continuous provocative behavior.

Your purpose is clear, try to destroy the communities exploiting the "disfaffection" of some people inside this community, that's very crap!

I wonder how ChrisH didn't understand that before and why he didn't ban you instead

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

cheesegrate 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 9:00:26
#204 ]

(edited for fear of ban)

Welcome to the Brave New AmigaWorld

"People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."

Last edited by cheesegrate on 04-Feb-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Last edited by cheesegrate on 04-Feb-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Last edited by cheesegrate on 04-Feb-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Last edited by cheesegrate on 04-Feb-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Last edited by cheesegrate on 04-Feb-2012 at 09:04 AM.

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

Slayer 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 9:32:21
#205 ]

The X1000 is shipping to some and has been shipped to others, great stuff! and I have a feeling that's not the only thing looking up!

Now I have to decide if I need a 3rd X1000; or a cpu upgrade perhaps? now that would rock too

PM me Trevor when you get a chance

djrikki 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 9:42:16
#206 ]
Elite Member

@chrisH

Never owned a PC before so when I saw Mac OS X in my local pcworld I was curious more than anything else - after trying it in store - I could see a few funky apps came along with it - though nothing I recognised. That combined with the fact that it wasnt a microsoft product encouraged me to get my switch card out and buy it!

So yeah back on topic -always a good thing to bung in as many contributions as possible to get interest going.

I believe we should be spending more time talking about what it can do - not what about it cant do - however I guess we have all been guilty of that at one time or another.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 10:41:57
#207 ]

@djrikki

Well, while I agree that what you can do is more important, knowing what you CAN´T do is also relevant. ;)

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 11:40:09
#208 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Quote:
(edited for fear of ban)

Moderating someone might be just abuse report OR editing his message, isn`t ban and isn`t 1984 either. Even democracy has to have some limits.

P.S.
Olegil has a nice point: be constructive - how to resolve the problem. Everything is possible, maybe on the other way then tried before, with workarounds etc.

I don`t thing kas1 should be banned either, he is good and knowledgeable person, but don`t be childish either: if we our opinion is not accepted by all, that we should leave for ever.

In such times when differences of any kind should be accepted love to quote an Rasta elder Ras Michael

Quote:
"Do you ever see the rainbow in the sky? Do the colors fight amonst themselves? Then why should mankind fight amongst themselves trough their different colors? The whole world is a garden and all the people in it are his flowers and we all beautify this garden with all our different colors. As the rainbow is in the heavens so are we, as rainbow people in his earth. Jah made all colors so all things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderfull he made them all. Each little flower that opens, and each little bird that sings he made their glowing colors and he made their tiny wings. So remember: What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul. So wey dem a go do wid it?"

Last edited by vox on 04-Feb-2012 at 01:08 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 11:44:05
#209 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Something has to be done, because this place went from being a place where users and developers could get together and discuss ideas. Then the crap started pouring in from people who have no interest in OS4 other than to see it fail. Suddenly the idea sharing stopped and now it's simply a place for snide remarks.

Frankly I gave up on this site a long time ago, but I still hang on to the hope that one day we'll see an actual conversation here that doesn't deteriorate to the usual x86 vs ppc crap. Seriously, those of us who mean business are REALLY getting annoyed with this site.

We need optimists and pessimists and realists alike, but only if they are all willing to LISTEN to each other, not just endlessly repeat what has been said a million times before.

So I doubt anyone will be banned for opposing an idea or being a pessimist, but endlessly repeating things noone hasn't heard before is simply spam and/or trolling, so why the hell should it be allowed?

So far we know this:
Some people think SMP in AmigaOS is impossible without breaking backwards compatibility.
But that's not really "impossible", is it? It's "impossible without breaking backwards compatibility". Not quite the same thing.

From there, one would expect the discussion going along the lines of "is there a work-around letting us at least use the extra cores for SOMETHING?", "how much breaking are we talking about?" etc. But no, there's no discussion. kas1e repeats kas1e's previous statement, cheesegrate and rose complain about the sites moderation, itix repeats "it's impossible", fluffy-brained-optimist repeats "but the Friedens said they would look into it" etc. That is not constructive. And if there is ONE thing this community needs it is being constructive. Pissing off your opponent in a discussion so that he stops discussing with you might seem like a victory for YOU, but you never actually got your point across, so it doesn't seem like a victory to US.

Personally, if it's just freezing every core on an interrupt then I think it would be interesting to see how fast that mechanism could be implemented. If one CPU is able to load to 100% and the other can be used for more than 0%, isn't that better than nothing?

PLEASE, EVERYONE! Constructive ideas and constructive criticism.

This is coming from someone who actually has designed a powerpc single board computer, btw. I'm so geeky I actually get PAID for designing things that could run AmigaOS. Think long and hard about that one

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Mo 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 12:02:55
#210 ]

@Rose

Is kas1e really banned? wow just wow

olegil 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 12:04:36
#211 ]
Elite Member

@RodTerl

I also reacted to that. I for one would like to hear more about why interrupts must halt all CPU on AmigaOS, because I love learning new stuff and this one I cannot figure out for myself.

It's like the 12 step recovery program. First step is to realize you have a problem. If you deny the problem you won't be accepting a solution.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 12:06:19
#212 ]
Elite Member

@Mo

He literally asked for it:

Quote:
please ban me. i tired from amiga stuff, just can't go myself. And as for completely uncessary and offtopic posts, i somehow found all the last posts from crhish are offtopic and unecessary.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 12:07:26
#213 ]

Once again that over glorifying c**p from some individuals.

@olegil

Kudos to you.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 04-Feb-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 12:19:13
#214 ]
Cult Member

@olegil

Quote:
From there, one would expect the discussion going along the lines of "is there a work-around letting us at least use the extra cores for SOMETHING?", "how much breaking are we talking about?" etc. But no, there's no discussion. kas1e repeats kas1e's previous statement, cheesegrate and rose complain about the sites moderation, itix repeats "it's impossible", fluffy-brained-optimist repeats "but the Friedens said they would look into it" etc. That is not constructive. And if there is ONE thing this community needs it is being constructive. Pissing off your opponent in a discussion so that he stops discussing with you might seem like a victory for YOU, but you never actually got your point across, so it doesn't seem like a victory to US.

Difference here is that people who say it can't be done are actual coders. Those who say that it's going to work are mostly people who can't make hello world work. Pretty much same that if I say that ponys fart rainbows and vet who says they don't is labeled naysayer.

Framiga 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 12:41:30
#215 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Quote:
Difference here is that people who say it can't be done are actual coders

Difference here is that people who say it can't be done are actual MorphOS
coders and/or users.

Can't you see the difference?

As olegil pointed out:

"Some people think SMP in AmigaOS is impossible without breaking backwards compatibility.
But that's not really "impossible", is it? It's "impossible without breaking backwards compatibility". Not quite the same thing."

Rose 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 12:43:05
#216 ]
Cult Member

@Framiga

Quote:
Difference here is that people who say it can't be done are actual MorphOS coders and/or users.

Like kas1e? But here we get again on people having wrong opinions.

Framiga 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 12:58:17
#217 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

are you trying to fool me? kas1e got what he asked and IMHO what he deserved. (his behaviour is often disturbing, at least for my taste)

Others MOS "supporters" are only a bit worried lately. Why? don't know .... ask them.

samo79 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 12:59:28
#218 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Kas1e never say it was impossible, he say that all of that may needs a lot of time and this is his POV for any big changes in OS4 (such the Mesa/Gallium port for example), quite different on my eyes ..

Sure certain MOS devs say it's impossible but it seems that OS4 developers have a different idea about it so only time will tell ...

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

umisef 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 13:14:25
#219 ]

@olegil

Quote:
I for one would like to hear more about why interrupts must halt all CPU on AmigaOS

Because on single-processor AmigaOS, all interrupt code is guaranteed to be atomic with respect to all user-space (or rather, non-interrupt and lower-priority interrupt level) code.

Imagine a serial port interrupt routine; It gets kicked off whenever a byte has arrived at the UART, pulls that byte off the UART, and puts it into a ring buffer. User code can check the ring buffer, and if it is non-empty, retrieve a byte and process it.

Typical implementation would be something like:

void UART_interrupt() {
uint8_t byte=ByteFromUART();
if (!RingBufferFull())
RingBuffer[RingBufferTail=(RingBufferTail+1)%RingBufferSize]=byte;
}

This is perfectly correct on AmigaOS. It's a very bad idea on an SMP system, where the guaranteed atomicity is no longer there --- because RingBufferTail gets incremented before the byte gets placed in the buffer itself, you suddenly have a race condition.

As I am sure you know, race conditions lead to all sorts of almost impossible to reproduce instabilities, and are great "fun" to debug/fix.

(And yes, the above routine is very incomplete. I reduced it to the relevant part)

cha05e90 
Posted on 4-Feb-2012 13:20:31
#220 ]

@Rose
Quote:
Difference here is that people who say it can't be done are actual coders.

...oh dear, and therefore they're never wrong? I'm working with coders all the day - 'u can't imagine how often they fail (myself included).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle