Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  35 mins ago
 Hypex:  41 mins ago
 Hammer:  42 mins ago
 Seiya:  3 hrs 30 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 1 min ago
 vox:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 59 mins ago
 mbrantley:  6 hrs 1 min ago
 pixie:  6 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 14:09:40
#81 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Looking forward to read your opinion and impressions, especially since you
are OS 3 in depth user

Profile     Report this post  
realize 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 14:32:53
#82 ]

@1Mouse

Quote:
Great to hear the X1000 is shipping, however my monies is on the netbook.

The notebook that doesnt exsist yet...great more time spent on drivers.. sigh

BillE 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 14:48:20
#83 ]

@TheDaddy

Quote:

Have you got an AOneX1000?

Yes

Quote:

Have you owned SAMs? I'd like to know how much faster it feels compared to a SAM.

I have never had any SAMs, I still have an A1-XE which a couple of years ago had a 1.26GHz CPU replacing the original 800MHz.

I am probably not allowed to tell you how the X1000 compares or I would get shot. Best to ask one of the first commercial buyers for more details when theirs arrive

Though I am not really breaking any NDA by saying that the X1000 does feel smoother and faster in operation than the XE - but then you would expect that.

Quote:

My SAM mini-itx 440ep is great but I'd like some extra grunt as I am running a stock one with the only advantage of a fast SSD (OCZ Agility 3).

I have both an SSD and a SATA HD on the X1000, both seem to run fast but there is no real noticeable difference - to me anyway, though theoretically I would think the SSD should be the faster drive.

wawa 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:03:35
#84 ]
Elite Member

@BillE

Quote:

I have both an SSD and a SATA HD on the X1000, both seem to run fast but there is no real noticeable difference - to me anyway, though theoretically I would think the SSD should be the faster drive.

similar to what i can tell of my experience on pata hds and ssds on an a4000. that said depends what you compare like random against sequential, read against write the most noticeable difference is that ssd is silent. of course an a4k isnt able to use the whole throughtput either of the drives provides..

Last edited by wawa on 28-Jan-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Gmeanie 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:03:44
#85 ]

@Deniil715
They just contacted me I emailed them last night about the system I had on order.
So they do Contact you back.

I just checked my order and mine came to $1800.00 US
How did you guys get yours to $2500.00?
I know i didn't order extras but jeesh.

Last edited by Gmeanie on 28-Jan-2012 at 03:19 PM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:20:54
#86 ]
Elite Member

@BillE

>>I have never had any SAMs, I still have an A1-XE which a couple of years ago had a 1.26GHz CPU replacing the original 800MHz.

I was asking just to squeeze more info about the X1000 out of you

So I suspect it will be quite fast.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:22:17
#87 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I have a SAM with both a SSD and a 7200 HD and the SSD runs circles around the HDD, I now use my SSD as primary HD as booting, opening windows and running software is a lot faster and the HD is used for storage.

wawa 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:25:10
#88 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

opening windows? how s that influenced by hdd choice, especially on amiga? its not that you need a swap i suppose?

BigD 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:32:08
#89 ]
Elite Member

@ddni

Quote:
It would apppear that you have missed the boat. The available X1000's all sold out in 36 hours.

Really? Smoke and mirrors stuff? Why is there still no X1000 page on AmigaKit. It seems you still have to inform of them your interest by email and then they email you to offer you a computer?! What is this communist Russia?!!?

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:49:39
#90 ]
Elite Member

@BigD
Quote:

What is this communist Russia?!!?

Yes. We all communists in Russia and we all drink vodka every day. As well as there is too cold all the time, and when you go at street, you can meen with wild animals, like bears. I.e. that communist Russia :) Like for example that pedantic UK with their rains all the time :)

Last edited by kas1e on 28-Jan-2012 at 03:51 PM.

-Sam- 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:50:26
#91 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
As I'm the author of RunInUAE, please let me know if you have any problems.

Will do Chris.

Quote:
CD32 compatibility is not great (maybe 50%), but I think that's mainly a problem with our old E-UAE

How out of date is the OS4 E-UAE and how would we get it updated? You would think that the AmigaOS UAE would be one of the most up to date implementations.

-Sam- 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:51:15
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Sammy

Quote:
and then nothing, no email to this day.

This is a bit of a concern. Perhaps AmigaKit can shed some light on these 'lost' customers?

@BigD

Quote:
Why is there still no X1000 page on AmigaKit. It seems you still have to inform of them your interest by email and then they email you to offer you a computer?!

I suppose there is this: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/x1000/

I would guess that the reason there is no X1000 page is that the email requests were clearly over subscribed so there was never any need to do a customer facing 'normal' sales page as they already had a lot of interest. In truth there was an AmigaKit X1000 page but it was only sent out to those of us on the mailing list. It is what we used to configure our machines, select the hardware / Linux dual boot etc.

I understand where you are coming from - but this was a small run that was over -subscribed - perhaps if there is a second run it will be done in a more standard way.

Last edited by -Sam- on 28-Jan-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Last edited by -Sam- on 28-Jan-2012 at 03:56 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 15:58:29
#93 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Last time I checked Russia had a long period of communist rule 1918 to 1989. I was referring to that time and the whole "It's who you know, not what you know" way of life and if you knew the right people you would have access to black market consumer goods.

wawa 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 16:11:06
#94 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

actually as i lived twenty years of my life under so called "communist" rule myself i would say "It's who you know, not what you know" applies there as well as in a society considering itself capitalistic. much more difference makes if the state is actually totalitarian instead how we call its social system.

BigD 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 16:20:18
#95 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
actually as i lived twenty years of my life under so called "communist" rule myself i would say "It's who you know, not what you know" applies there as well as in a society considering itself capitalistic.

In a capitalist society if you know where to buy something and you have the money anyone can buy a consumer product. I am talking about black markets that existed in the USSR and Eastern Block countries where you had to foster what some might say were corrupt relationships with officials in order to buy what you needed. That's all I was referring to. Relationships with other humans are obviously important to get on in life, I wasn't disputing that!

wawa 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 16:30:32
#96 ]
Elite Member

@BigD
alright.

AmiDog 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 16:57:30
#97 ]
Cult Member

@RodTerl

Quote:
When did AOS 4.1.2 get the ability to handle 6 Gig of Physical Memory Space without using the FCx address lines? @.@

I was actually giving this some thought a while ago. OS4 only has a 32-bit memory space, limiting the amount to 4GB, but as few programs require much memory, they could split that memory space like this:

1GB shared memory (same for all processes)
2GB private memory (process specific, used for memory allocated as private)
1GB system reserved (PCI address space, etc)

(kind of like how Windows does it)

As even the MMU of our old G3/G4s can address way more than 4GB in 32-bit mode, they could allow 2GB of private memory per process, thus making it possible to take advantage of way more than 4GB at once.

Don't know if they have taken that approach or if they plan to go full 64-bit instead.

vox 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 17:07:17
#98 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
In a capitalist society if you know where to buy something and you have the money anyone can buy a consumer product. I am talking about black markets that existed in the USSR and Eastern Block countries where you had to foster what some might say were corrupt relationships with officials in order to buy what you needed. That's all I was referring to. Relationships with other humans are obviously important to get on in life, I wasn't disputing that!

Sad thing is that black market things used to be rock music, jeans and female socks.
However, this stand for system before some liberal reforms (Perestroika in Russia) or more open mixed models (like Yugoslav one, I lived until 1991) that offered some or most of western imports. Off course, problem relied both on Cold War trade blockades that e.g. denied capitalist societies of some Russian space technology or AK-47 rifle (even Tetris made trough So it was a mutual spiritual and material war not the users choice. And Stalin even wasn`t the worse communist leader (or Russia worse communist society) - Communist Albania, Cambodgia and North Korea were equal or worse while most police and propaganda control was conducted by East Germany.

But our Russian friend is right: in capitalism neither trade is always fair or the money resolves everything. Black market exists for some other illegal drugs (e.g. cannabis, not go further on things I believe should be banned) and yet human nature remains the same - knowing right people enables people to do more then legally possible. As well as Communism is overused for something bad without understanding it had some positive values and improvements of agricultural socities with high inqueality before communism.

Afer all, best of two worlds is social democracy and in some aspects of protecting the food prices, providing basic health and social care, development planning ... many capitalist socities use some aspects attributed before to communism and not to liberal capitalism (e.g. banks and companies bailout by state in world crisis)

Also "fostering corrupt relationships" in order to get things done is far more likely in weak capitalist societies like ex-communist countries are, then it was on the peak of comminism. Also, same exists in capitalism at higher level of money and influence, so this is not a unique feature of communism.

Back on topic, X1000 is not ready for general sales - in terms of higher production run and full support of OS 4.2.

At this moment, we are happy OS 4.1 supports it and that test run has proven interested even in so pricey hardware, that potentially is great platform for PPC Linux, MorphOS and AROS too.

Last edited by vox on 28-Jan-2012 at 05:11 PM.

-Sam- 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 17:09:10
#99 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Looking forward to read your opinion and impressions, especially since you are OS 3 in depth user

Be sure I will let you all know.

vox 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 17:15:23
#100 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Quote:
Be sure I will let you all know.

Looking forward to your monday that surely will not be blue

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle