Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

RobertB,  OneTimer1,  matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  1 min ago
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 mins ago
 pavlor:  36 mins ago
 VooDoo:  36 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 michalsc:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Spotify for the Amiga is a go
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
tommysammy 
Re: Spotify for the Amiga is a go
Posted on 5-Dec-2012 17:38:20
#221 ]
Cult Member

Where are the news?

Profile     Report this post  
Skuggan 
Posted on 5-Dec-2012 20:36:55
#222 ]

@tommysammy

I report any new info I get in this thread. They reply on on every other mail we send. We try not to be a pain in the ass for the. As I said earlier they have moved to a bigger office and during that time they could't work on other projects. When they started on the project they were two coders and then three and then one of the coders started working on another Spotify office in another country.
I suspect they ran into trouble with the TCP/IP-stack since that is outdated.

What we will help them with, is a mp3 streaming exampel that they can look at. It would have been
so much easier if at least one of them were a regular Amiga user of some kind or we could just sign a NDA and help them solve the problems in their office.

Then it's not very encouraging to work with this project due to all the negativ critics from certain users.

If anyone of the contributors have second thought about the bounty they chipped in just send me a pm and I will personally pay you back.

marko 
Posted on 6-Dec-2012 3:05:47
#223 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@Skuggan

Good work so far, keep on doing what you are doing

@Naysayers

Please give them some slack!!

Last edited by marko on 06-Dec-2012 at 03:06 AM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

ddni 
Posted on 30-Jan-2013 10:38:38
#224 ]
Cult Member

I wait patiently for this!
If and when it arrives, Spotify will get my subscription.

Skuggan 
Posted on 30-Jan-2013 13:20:09
#225 ]

@ddni

Me too. They usually reply on every 5:th mail we send them so statistically they will reply soon.
We don't send them mail too often though.
If they would just accept our help.

Joakim has his hands full with the the JAmiga thing but if someone could fix a standard C code
that streams MP3 we could send that to them. I guess thats were they have problems.

Also we will try to help them to install the latest updates up to 6.

Birbo 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 9:18:07
#226 ]
Cult Member

@Skuggan

Don't konow if this has been already asked:

As the native Spotify-Apps (for example on Linux) are QT-Apps - does the release of QT 4.7 for AmigaOS have any influence on the development?

Is Spotify aware that QT 4.7 has been released for AmigaOS?

Thanks

Roberto

Skuggan 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 10:17:42
#227 ]

@Birbo

I didn't know this myself but I heard someone talk about QT and spotify.
Good thing you reminded me.
But i guess it only affects the GUI part of the system. Its the IP-stack that seems to be the problem.

They have had one guy leaving Spotify to work at Magine.se instead and another guy changing location.
It seems that even there is almost zero activity, there is between 1 to 3 people associated with the project.

We try to offer our help but they have their hands full of payed stuff.

In retrospect this was sounded better from spotify in the beginning but we promised to be humble. We don't spam them with email.

If anyone of those chipping in to the bounty I have no problem paying you back with my own money. Better that than getting a lot of heat for trying the best for the community.

TheAMIgaOne 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 14:45:31
#228 ]
Cult Member

@Skuggan

Its seems they are trying to modularize the app, hense now there is Libspotify but again its one of those libs which isn't opensource and need Spotify to create for us. When you mention the TCP/IP stack, was this regarding IPv6

AmigaOneXE OS4.1.6

TaoSoftwareBlog Youtube

Skuggan 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 14:57:48
#229 ]

@TheAMIgaOne

There seem to be some IPv6 there but it could be done without it.
I just sent them another mail, once again offering them a visit to get the Amiga up to
4.1.6 etc.

Also said that if they no longer have any intention to port it for us we are happy to get
the machine back and give it to someone else. If that will be the case all those who contributed will have a saying about this. :)

I heard from the guy in the team they feel sorry for not being able to work more on it.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 15:27:56
#230 ]
Elite Member

@Skuggan

my proposal is to have one (or more systems) who can developers get for a certain time and task (f.e. porting something, testing a application and so on) and give back after. Giving hardware to commercial developers makes no sense (in my view) because the user numbers are too low. And if they already have a problem to buy the hardware (a one-time investment) then I do not think they are seriously interested.

Skuggan 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 17:12:27
#231 ]

@OlafS25
Yes! We have tried that before and it works. I guess I got carried away since the bosses at spotify thought it was a good idea. Not good enough to assign anyone to it though.
Well, now we have tried it, it didn't worked as excpected. This doesn't rule out that we get Spotify to Amiga though. Just means we have to do it ourselves.

For the record I have given away another Sam460 I paid for myself to another guy for another project, but since this is Amigaland I will not disclose anything more about it since it turns out to be nothing.

But the destiny for the Spotifymachine is up to Spotify and those that contributed.

Breed 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 17:27:01
#232 ]

@Skuggan

I contributed to the Spotifymachine but if there's gonna be situation that we have no any hope to get Spotify up and running I gues there's something else, good project etc which need hardware.
I don't want my money back, don't worry

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 17:44:48
#233 ]
Elite Member

@Skuggan

I think nobody denies your good intentions but to attract "commercial companies" like Spotify the market is too small. Another problem is who is doing the port and the development of updates and support (if these companies lack the experts and/or time). And for a company like Spotify giving sources outside is propably no option because it is the base of their business. And when a company is not willing to buy hardware they are not really interested. Better to directly support individual developers (preferred with history to deliver something)

Skuggan 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 21:22:35
#234 ]

@OlafS25
I know all this Olaf but I took a chance and talked to persons at spotify I know and many of them are old Amigans. The problem is that they are mid bosses or bosses now and not coders. The coders were not on the same level as we. We noticed that when we delivered the machine but hoped they could pulled it off.

It turned out that since they were not ex Amigacoders they couldn't handle the OS and thats what became the hang up. They had all the approaval from there bosses but if those who will do the actual code doesn't have the heart or the knowledge for Amiga it is a bit hard.

Thats why we tried to get some ex amigans to apply for job at Spotify. But most ex Amigans already have well paid jobs.

Lets hope they will have a more open web api that requires premium account so we can do it ourselves.

But you know what. At least we got Spotifys attention. :)

MartinJ 
Posted on 11-Jul-2013 21:57:24
#235 ]

@Skuggan
@Skuggan

I as a contributer I have full of confidence in what you put our resources into. You are souch an advocate of AmigaOS and you have connections in the IT-buissness. I will be happy to contribute in the future

jingof 
Posted on 12-Jul-2013 5:16:49
#236 ]

@Skuggan

Do you think Spotify would be willing to allow an Amiga-knowledgable developer on-site, under NDA to assist with the effort under Spotify's own roof and supervision? If so, then I would be willing to donate to a bounty to help pay that person.

Last edited by jingof on 12-Jul-2013 at 05:18 AM.

Birbo 
Posted on 12-Jul-2013 7:20:24
#237 ]
Cult Member

@jingof @skuggan

Well this is the way to go , I think...

The Linux-Client could be ported - perhaps from someone who developed QT4.7

Spotify could pay the development and do something for us, after that a machine has been payed and nothing happend.

The port could be done from one of "us" - of cours under NDA and a contract with Spotify.

OlafS25 
Posted on 12-Jul-2013 9:04:32
#238 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

"Spotify could pay the development"

without being too negativ, why should they pay for it? There are only a couple of hundred AmigaOS user (perhaps 1000) worldwide. Even if there are ex-amigans there and even if they have sympathy for AmigaOS, from sympathy to real action and investment is a big jump. I experienced that when I contacted ex-amigan game-developers some time ago. And it is not done with porting it one time. There are updates needed when new versions of Spotify are developed and what is about when people need support? They would need someone inhouse who cares for it with enough experience. They will not give sources outside and companies tend to rely more on own personal than on freelancers. I know at least one case where a freelancer tried to steal the source of a company. The software (sources) is the base, the heart of a software company like Spotify. If you depend on a product would you give it to someone you do not know? And even if you trust someone you have no control where and how the sources are saved, it is out of control. The idea that a amigan applies there and starts working sounded (a little) silly at first but indeed it would have been the only chance (if the management of Spotify was serious). Without that no chance.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 12-Jul-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 12-Jul-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 12-Jul-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 12-Jul-2013 at 09:04 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 12-Jul-2013 9:33:49
#239 ]
Elite Member

@Skuggan

I do not think that donating hardware in cases like Spotify will help much. My personal view is that when we manage to make it easier (and cheaper) to support our platforms then it will bring better results.

Today most game developers use cross-platform engines for development so we must have as many of them as possible. We need updated documentations, it must be easier to support all of our platforms. And we need more "dependencies" ported (f.e. from Linux world) so that it becomes as easy as possible for a company like Spotify to support AmigaOS (or MorphOS/AROS).

With "easier to support all platforms" I mean we have a complete mess between the different platforms, when you start to dig a little (even if the same things are implemented) you find lots of differences that make life for programmers very difficult. Result is that people either use a tool like Hollywood or only support one platform. But that makes the market even less attractive and finally harms everyone. We must overcome this (in common interest).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 12-Jul-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Birbo 
Posted on 12-Jul-2013 10:39:28
#240 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Hi Olaf

The answer is quite easy: They should pay, because they have money.

If a company would need some reasons why spending money, the world would look diffrent today. But most companys don't need any good reasons for dpending money - as long as one person who likes the idea having Spotify on AmigaOS, they will pay for it.

As Skuggan mentioned, there are a few persons in higher positions at Spotify - and some are ex-amigans.

I don't think that an investment of let's say Euro 10'000.- for Spotify ist a big jump...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle