Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  6 mins ago
 Hammer:  55 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  3 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Spotify for the Amiga is a go
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Spotify for the Amiga is a go
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 10:55:07
#421 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

as I understand it there are former amigans in management who have approved the port (what they need anyway because I cannot imagine any software company wanting their devs doing things with their product without them knowing). So it is not "uncovering" a secret or doing something illegal. As long as it does not harm the company and they are doing it in spare time and management is informed about it there is nothing illegal in it and no reason to fire anyone.

@Joakim (and the others involved)

thanks for investing your time in it

@thread

As I already wrote it is difficult to get support by commercial software companies, expecially when it is difficult to port applications because of missing dependencies and for special software the market is much too small. But hope is always there

Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Aug-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Xmas87 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 10:58:36
#422 ]

@OlafS25

If they use kudos points on their forum as a trigger to deliver ports, then we may have some way to go. +4 aint gonna cut it.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 11:00:41
#423 ]
Elite Member

@Xmas87

wawa 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 12:02:39
#424 ]
Elite Member

im not sure, but what again was the reward in it for the coders that would invest their time in a port to a platform they are not dedicated to? i seem to remember that they have been served drinks in a bar. that might not be enough. i wonder if inquiries in a support forum are.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 13:19:53
#425 ]
Elite Member

@jaokim

Quote:
Seriously though, we had some strange problems with networking (on the code level), which we tried to find solutions for, but nothing materialised, and then real life caught up with us.

Lett me guess the socket looks closed, when its should be open?
It can happen is application is multithreaded, also etch tread needs to open its own instance of BsdSocket.library, this can also make things tricky. Puss you need to enable socket sharing, or copy socket description to the other process, there is command for it.

This should not be problem if newlib is used instead of bsdsocket, but maybe I'm wrong.

And also select() in newlib does return any useful errno error numbers (I have this problem in mplayer).

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Aug-2014 at 01:20 PM.

jaokim 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 14:03:28
#426 ]

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

Lett me guess the socket looks closed, when its should be open?
It can happen is application is multithreaded, also etch tread needs to open its own instance of BsdSocket.library, this can also make things tricky. Puss you need to enable socket sharing, or copy socket description to the other process, there is command for it.

Nope, the client is single threaded, so that's not it.

There's something with blocking/non-blocking sockets (can't remember the exact stuff that failed). I've however suggested looking at how the fcntl/ioctl call is made, and perhaps exchanging it for a IoctlSocket. Configure scripts for Curl suggest we might be on the right track with that. But only time will tell.

jaokim 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 14:16:56
#427 ]

Quote:

wawa wrote:
im not sure, but what again was the reward in it for the coders that would invest their time in a port to a platform they are not dedicated to? i seem to remember that they have been served drinks in a bar. that might not be enough. i wonder if inquiries in a support forum are.

Apart from the reward of masses of amigans cheering them on?

As I've understood it, this is primarily done during their hack-weeks -- where they basically are paid to do stuff they want to do. I don't mean that they are paid for the Amiga port, and should be happy with that, I'm just saying that I don't think anyone spends their free time doing this. Also, the people helping out have volunteered to do so, so I'm assuming there's some interest in looking into obscure platforms.
Furthermore, it's my understanding that the Amiga-PPC work helped them in their other PPC-ports, f.i. Mac, and they might also have fixed some endian issues. (And, no, I don't actually think that the Amiga port "solved" any issues, but it might have been part of an incentive to get it done. However, adding support for another platform will certainly help when adding other platforms.)

Besides that, I do think they really deserve some proper good credit, and a token of appreciation would be very nice.

Last edited by jaokim on 05-Aug-2014 at 02:18 PM.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 21:54:16
#428 ]
Team Member

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@guruman

Yes. AWN staff banned high profile Linux developer because he replied to A1 Linux question using his friends account. I think entire thread was deleted because of that.

I do not believe that a developer was banned because of using a friends account to post. There are reasons behind any restriction or ban, but I suspect if this person were restricted it was because of circumventing a posting restriction on their own account.

This said, we also do not just remove threads for petty reasons such as that. Invariably threads are not removed at all. The only threads removed are those created by spammers, duplicates, those where the OP asked for it to be removed and a temporary move of a thread that is being moderated following extensive abuses - after which the thread will be returned to it's original location.

To answer guruman, no an account is not restricted when used by multiple people. In most cases this would be a business account and there are some here. Multiple accounts created by a single user are restricted and against the Terms of Service, and this has been enforced in the past resulting in the extra accounts being restricted and/or removed following a discussion with the owner of the multiple accounts.

itix 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 22:20:10
#429 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

You must have came here when the old staff had already abandoned this site. He was not restricted or banned because he never had an account here in the first place. So he answered using his friends account.

But that was at dark days of AWN.

Skuggan 
Posted on 7-Aug-2014 9:04:40
#430 ]

It´s of course sad that things haven´t moved on more quickly but rest assure that joakim has done everything to help the spotify guys out on site with the nose in the code. My understanding is that there is problem with the networking.

I have mentioned Aros and MorphOS for the spotify team, invited coders from those platforms into the mail we have with spotify. Everyone from AOS4, AROS, MorphOS is doing their best to help spotify out. My aim is to get libspotify on all platforms. The GUI can then be made by anyone.

Really, give joakim big cred for his work. He is investing his time at Spotify to help spotify out with this.

We all do our best but we really can't force them to give us more attention.

If it wouldn't be for this network problem we would perhaps be listening to spotify on our preferred platform a long time ago. (AOS4,AROS,MorphOS)

As I said before, I someone have second thoughts about their investment on the spotifymachine send me a PM and I will Pay you back personally. I will still love you. :)

If I could turn back time based on what I know. Well, I would have paid the machine myself told you when it was done.

Hans 
Posted on 7-Aug-2014 9:38:00
#431 ]
Elite Member

@Skuggan

Quote:
If it wouldn't be for this network problem we would perhaps be listening to spotify on our preferred platform a long time ago. (AOS4,AROS,MorphOS)

What exactly is this "network problem?" I've heard that mentioned several times, but haven't found any details.

Hans

Vistaus 
Posted on 7-Aug-2014 11:51:43
#432 ]

@Hans

Yeah. It's not that I don't believe that there's a network problem, but it *almost* sounds surreal when it's mentioned multiple times w/o explanation...

Varthall 
Posted on 7-Aug-2014 12:32:50
#433 ]

@Hans

*Might* be this one, although a bit vague:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35072&forum=32&start=200&viewmode=flat&order=0#675728

Varthall

Skuggan 
Posted on 7-Aug-2014 17:00:53
#434 ]

I think Joakim can explain it better since he have actually seen the code and met the guys several times. I'm just on the mailing list.

itix 
Posted on 7-Aug-2014 22:44:17
#435 ]
Elite Member

@Skuggan

I think this project is futile because guys at Spotify dont have any Amiga programming experience. Without that it is next to impossible to get anything more complex ported and running.

Networking code often need to be adapted to Amiga bsdsocket.library conventions. Sometimes it is easy, often not if you dont know differencies.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 26-Dec-2014 3:46:48
#436 ]

Bump,
update please, anything is good!

Birbo 
Posted on 26-Dec-2014 14:16:04
#437 ]
Cult Member

@all

https://play.spotify.com/

Deniil715 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 18:29:33
#438 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

Needs pesky flash.
Flash is obsolete. There is HTML5 etc now

Birbo 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 18:43:27
#439 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715

You are absolutely right!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Integrate-HTML5-with-play-spotify-com/idi-p/596108

Deniil715 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 22:24:54
#440 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

Interesting! So the pressure is on. We aren't the only ones who hate flash. Tried to get that shit working at work today, but that didn't happen...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle