Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Maijestro

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Maijestro:  2 mins ago
 Rudei:  15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  15 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  46 mins ago
 AndreasM:  53 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 kiFla:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 kriz:  3 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Timberwolf is here!!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmigaBlitter 
Re: Timberwolf is here!!!
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 15:47:17
#81 ]
Elite Member

@friedens

Works fine here. Very well work.
Works quite well on the 440@667

@thread

The scrolling improves a little enabling the option under tools>options>(advanced)>general "Use Smooth scrolling".

Moreover, the option "use hardware acceleration when available" sounds really promising.

Profile     Report this post  
sicky 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 16:24:56
#82 ]
Elite Member

@All

It looks nice, can't wait for it to be tuned and working faster as it's so very slow here on my SAM460. Takes ages to load and pages take an age to load, tries youtube and it actually works.. wow!!

Not moaning, been waiting for ages for this, hopefully it will get much ffaster with updates and fine tuning etc.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 16:28:49
#83 ]

@sicky

it's not just you. for those lucky &^%@#s with X1000s, timberwolf flies. for those of with SAMs, not so much. as the authors indicated, this is primarily to provide something with clost-to-complete functionality. speed will come later.

in the interim i'm quite happy with netsurf and MUIOWB.

-- eliyahu

KimmoK 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 17:04:00
#84 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

At some point Friedens will have to try to make TW fly also on the coming netbook, then I believe TW have potential to become pretty snappy on 666Mhz.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

amigasociety 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 17:57:50
#85 ]
Cult Member

@EntilZha

Quote:

EntilZha wrote:
@amigasociety

Quote:
This browser is fine for tinkering but since I can't save bookmarks (I take it that feature is not done yet?),

Actually, the bookmark saving should work. I ran into the same problem last week and fixed it, and it worked for me here.

You might want to try to delete all profile data. If you had tried 3.5 before, and used the same profile, then the places database might not have been created properly.

Nope, never had TW 3.5 so this is a fresh install and try for first time TW, therefore no old data would have been carried over.

I guess I can try and throw out any current profile database and see what happens.

tj

sicky 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 17:59:35
#86 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
it's not just you. for those lucky &^%@#s with X1000s, timberwolf flies. for those of with SAMs, not so much. as the authors indicated, this is primarily to provide something with clost-to-complete functionality. speed will come later.

I just found out over at amigans site that it is a beta and they are concentrating on compatability and function right now and speed (hardware excellerated) will come later.

Quote:
in the interim i'm quite happy with netsurf and MUIOWB.

I will continue to use muiowb as it meets most of my demands and is very fast on my machine

Spectre660 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 18:08:53
#87 ]
Elite Member

@sicky

Anybody brave enough to try Fasterfox 3.9.8 ?

Quote:

sicky wrote:
@All

It looks nice, can't wait for it to be tuned and working faster as it's so very slow here on my SAM460. Takes ages to load and pages take an age to load, tries youtube and it actually works.. wow!!

Not moaning, been waiting for ages for this, hopefully it will get much ffaster with updates and fine tuning etc.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

sicky 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 18:28:11
#88 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:

Show me to it and I would give it a try

Spectre660 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 18:58:19
#89 ]
Elite Member

@sicky

Select Tools-Addons from teh Tools Menu.
In the seach box that comes up type FasterFox .
Select the Fasterfox 3.9.8 Install .

Quote:

sicky wrote:
@Spectre660

Quote:

Show me to it and I would give it a try

Moxee 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 20:38:08
#90 ]
Team Member

@EntilZha

Quote:

Quote:
So, is it crashing on exit like some people claim?

The crash on exit is due to an elf.library bug that exists in AmigaOS 4.1 prior to Update 4. Update 4 fixed that bug.

Oh great! I am using Update 4 now on my A1 XE. I'll try TW 4.0.1 today.

Quote:
I had very little crashes in general (there are a few of course, it's a beta version). If there are any crashes on exit, I'd like to hear about them.

I understand. I am just glad that you are working on it. I surely appreciate it.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Tomas 
Posted on 17-Feb-2012 23:27:31
#91 ]
Elite Member

Finally got around to "test driving" timberwolf beta. Seems to be a no go on my sam 440ep.
I tried clearing the cache just like explained in the readme, but even after 20-30mins there is no sign of it ever completing.
Tried launching timberwolf without this step and then after a few minutes all i got was a grim reaper...

I highly doubt it should take this long even on my low end system?

Edit: seems like it just was very slow indeed... Timberwolf works now, but on my system it actually seems slower than the alpha. Sometimes it takes ages before it responds and scrolling is slower as well.

Simple things like using google and trying to open a link pretty much freezes the thing up completely until i get a "unresponsive script" popup.
Surely this cant be normal behaviour?
Anyone got any idea why it is this slow? It is even this slow when i overclock my sam to 667mhz.

Last edited by Tomas on 17-Feb-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Last edited by Tomas on 17-Feb-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 18-Feb-2012 1:15:53
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

what type of partition are your fonts on ?
and how much ram do you have ?
Also do you have swap setup ?

Tomas 
Posted on 18-Feb-2012 1:30:06
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@Tomas

what type of partition are your fonts on ?
and how much ram do you have ?
Also do you have swap setup ?

I forgot which one i used on main partition, but i know it aint the most optimal one.

I have the 440ep with default 512meg ram and i do have working swap/virtual memory.

But i kinda doubt this will affect timberwolf performance itself since i have that installed on another partition. The alpha seems more responsive even though it is the exact same system using same filesystem and probably fonts.

Last edited by Tomas on 18-Feb-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 18-Feb-2012 1:36:58
#94 ]
Elite Member

@sicky

With Fasterfox 3.9.8 installed Timberwolf is loading pages faster than MuiOWB on my system when both are being run at the same time.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Feb-2012 10:57:45
#95 ]
Elite Member

interesting that it was mentioned tw uses non-amiga so objects apparently partly conflicting with native ported ones. does it suggest timberwolf runs on os4 within some vm, bild up on a minimal kernel with only the neccessary libraries attached? something that would resemble ixemul or cygnix? that would explain difficulty to implement amiga native gui, but on the other hand perhaps x1k owners could have some advantage here, as likely the rendering thread could be assigned to the otherwise idle second core. we had such an asymetric solution mentioned on forums as possibility. of course the owners of single core systems would be worse off. if that is the case, the approach resembles the one of aeros. the software doesnt need to be completely ported over which makes it easier to keep up with linux applications world, the traditional system (workbench) will be then rather restricted to file managing and starting linux apps which would run non-natively but otherwise within os4 sytem windows.

flowi 
Posted on 18-Feb-2012 11:28:28
#96 ]

@wawa

Quote:
interesting that it was mentioned tw uses non-amiga so objects apparently partly conflicting with native ported ones. does it suggest timberwolf runs on os4 within some vm, bild up on a minimal kernel with only the neccessary libraries attached?

I don't know how you interpreted the information like that. Of course the so objects are native ports, but some of them might not compatible with the versions that the OS has provided, thus it is not recommended to replace the files in the SObjs-folder. If some program is relying on these provided components and you replace it with a port that behaves differently, end result could be something unwanted.

Quote:
that would explain difficulty to implement amiga native gui

All Mozilla-software uses UI built with XUL, in every platform (be it Linux, Mac or Windows and now on AmigaOS). XUL provides UI-components that mostly are themed to match the platform in use. Some ports have wrapped some of the functionality over the native UI-components to have a more native look, but still mostly it is done by themeing.

It wouldn't be very wise to start doing the wrapping before all is proven to work in the port itself. If you run in to errant behavior then you wouldn't know if the problems are arising from the porting or the wrapping.

Spectre660 
Posted on 18-Feb-2012 14:23:53
#97 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

For anyone needing to use local files like for importing of bookmarks the directory to put then in is Timberwolf/CurrentUserProfile/ .
You can import your Mui-Owb Bookmarks by placing a copy of the bookmarks.html in this directory.
even your Ibrowse links with a copy of Ibrowse-hotlist.html

ggw 
Posted on 18-Feb-2012 16:23:09
#98 ]

@Xenic

I find the same on all points.
Every time I reboot TW uses more verticality than I have screen.

------------------
I'm also having trouble with links not being differentiated from surrounding text. The mouse pointer does not change shape when I am over a link; however, the link location is shown properly in the lower left corner.
-----------[Ed: After a reboot (due to another TW hang) the above problem disappeared.]

I managed to hang my entire AmigaOne with too quick (fumble fingers) clicking twice while the mouse was moving near the File-Edit-View-History... bar.

As I complained about ALL the "new" browsers except iBrowse and netSurf I cannot find a file:/// scheme that works at all for TW.

I still find it useable in place of GUI-OWB. (iBrowse still puts all of them to shame for regular use.)

Last edited by ggw on 20-Feb-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Last edited by ggw on 18-Feb-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Last edited by ggw on 18-Feb-2012 at 07:36 PM.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Xenic 
Posted on 18-Feb-2012 16:39:03
#99 ]

@Spectre660
Quote:
For anyone needing to use local files like for importing of bookmarks the directory to put then in is Timberwolf/CurrentUserProfile/ .

I tried it but nothing happens. I selected the BOOKMARKS/SHOW ALL BOOKMARKS menu item. A window called "Library" opened and I selected the IMPORT AND BACKUP/IMPORT HTML item. When I got to the IMPORT BOOKMARKS FILE window I selected bookmarks.html and clicked Open. Nothing happened. I'm getting frustrated with the "foreign" GUI at this point.

PR 
Posted on 18-Feb-2012 16:58:17
#100 ]

Hello for a joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=IkKYn6lOxwQ

I got Action Replay III for the Amiga 500- 6 Amigas. Good?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle