Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
5823 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
Home
Features
News
Forums
Classifieds
Links
Downloads
Extras
OS4 Zone
IRC Network
AmigaWorld Radio
Newsfeed
Top Members
Amiga Dealers
Information
About Us
FAQs
Advertise
Polls
Terms of Service
Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
62 crawler(s) on-line.
 13 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.



You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Dragoon:  27 mins ago
 billt:  33 mins ago
 tekmage:  52 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 v9sport:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Dege:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 redfox:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 tygre:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 Steady:  3 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Was that even possible back then !!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 12:24:56
#61 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@ danwoood

Ahh... danwood dear desperate danwood... ;)

You can stumble around here forever saying one thing in one post then desperately trying to change it in your next post when an old fart like me proves you were wrong but the fact remains you are very wrong in much you have said here and all your changes from post to post sadly for you won't change the fact that you are wrong...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 12:28:52
#62 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@Franko

So be serious yourself you can't possibly think that ineternet mobiles phones and other tech don't make it easier to keep in touch with people than 30 years ago.


Did I say that it didn't... Answer = No...

Quote:
And this generations teenagers will aghast that the next can't communicate by sending a simpl etx because they are too busy 'picting' sending message by remote touch or insert favourite tech from your


Well if i could figure out what you were trying to say there I may attempt to answer it...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
danwood 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 12:31:05
#63 ]
Super Member
Joined: 30-Sep-2008
Posts: 1058
From: Unknown

@Franko

If you say so fella. Keep living in the 70s if that's what makes you happy.

In this era of globalization, there are many progresses to further improve the qualities of our lives, fearing it, dismissing it, or refusing to embrace it and the qualities and enrichment it can bring to your life is much "sadder" in my view.

For the rest of us, progress is always a good thing because it is always needed to ensure a better future.

Last edited by danwood on 12-Apr-2012 at 12:32 PM.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 12:42:56
#64 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@Daedalus

Quote:

Daedalus wrote:
@Franko

[quote]
Franko wrote:

Indeed they are, just like many other devices like phones etc. So, if I can run the same software on my iPhone as on my iPad, does that make my iPhone a computer?


Can't answer that one as i've never seen an iPhone...

Quote:
You ask what else they would be as if you think the answer's obvious, but in fact it really is getting a little blurry. People see TVs with internet as "smart TVs" and think of them as a TV with a computer inside. Many people *don't* see iPads as computers, they see them as iPads, or overgrown iPhones. The definition hasn't really changed, but given that your computer, your iPad, your phone and your TV can all do the same thing, what makes one of them a computer and the other not?


Can't say why some people may think a "Smart TV" is a computer, my microwave oven has microchips inside it and a keypad on it but I sure as hell wouldn't call it a computer by any stretch of the imagination...

If a mobile phone has the ability to browse the net and run software and has a keyboard be it onscreen or physical then yes it just a very small computer but your missing the entire point here...

This thread is not about what you I or anyone else considers a computer to be, it was about someone making a post on a YouTube video about an old C64 and asking the question "Was that even possible back then" and the thread became hi-jacked by people for some strange reason desperately trying to prove what they think the definition of a computer is...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 12:48:44
#65 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@danwood

Quote:

danwood wrote:
@Franko

If you say so fella. Keep living in the 70s if that's what makes you happy.

In this era of globalization, there are many progresses to further improve the qualities of our lives, fearing it, dismissing it, or refusing to embrace it and the qualities and enrichment it can bring to your life is much "sadder" in my view.

For the rest of us, progress is always a good thing because it is always needed to ensure a better future.


Oh I do say so,,, but I've no idea what your fascination with the 70's is, are you so unhappy with the era you live in that you secretly wish you were in the 70's instead !!!

Nothing is sadder than someone like yourself who thinks that 30 years ago you could only talk to people in the same village and would have been so bored back then that you wouldn't have had a clue how to entertain yourself, that my friend is not just sad it's a sign of someone who has missed out on life and is a prisoner to all that technology he mistakenly thinks has made his life worth living...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Pleng 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 13:13:03
#66 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 17-Nov-2005
Posts: 458
From: Unknown

@Franko

Quote:

You don't walk into a Sony or Panasonic TV shop, Curry's or anywhere and they have a big sign above their TV sets saying "Computers"...

The definition of a computer isn't outdated nor has it changed, iPads are a computer (what else would they be),


How quickly do you want to contradict yourself. I don't think you'll find iPads under big signs saying "Computers..." either. The signs will either say Tablets, or just iPads...

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Daedalus 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 13:18:47
#67 ]
Super Member
Joined: 14-Jul-2003
Posts: 1680
From: Glasgow - UK, Irish born

@Pleng

Quote:

Pleng wrote:
@Franko

How quickly do you want to contradict yourself. I don't think you'll find iPads under big signs saying "Computers..." either. The signs will either say Tablets, or just iPads...


Exactly. But as soon as Franko's arguments start to fall through, he just brushes it aside, calling off topic and ignoring the points made. The fact is, discussions like this just go nowhere, probably best to just leave him to his ideas and divert your energies into something a little more constructive.

_________________
RobTheNerd.com | InstallerGen | SMBMounter | Atoms-X

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 13:26:17
#68 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@Pleng

Quote:

Pleng wrote:
@Franko

How quickly do you want to contradict yourself. I don't think you'll find iPads under big signs saying "Computers..." either. The signs will either say Tablets, or just iPads...


No contradictions here mate, an IPad is a computer nothing more nothing less...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
resle 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 13:26:35
#69 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 28-Nov-2005
Posts: 500
From: shanghai

@Franko

Quote:
Ahh... (username) dear desperate (username)...


 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 13:31:56
#70 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@Daedalus

Quote:

Daedalus wrote:
@Pleng

Exactly. But as soon as Franko's arguments start to fall through, he just brushes it aside, calling off topic and ignoring the points made. The fact is, discussions like this just go nowhere, probably best to just leave him to his ideas and divert your energies into something a little more constructive.


Nothing I have said has fallen through, and nothing has been brushed off in case you hadn't noticed I've replied to almost all these off topic posts here including yours...

Seems folk like yourself just hate being proven wrong and come up with lame excuses to bail out when they realise but won't admit they are wrong...

You should stick to your own advice and not get involved in threads that you don't consider constructive in the first place instead of posting in them only to contradict yourself and ignore your own advice you give to others, odd thing to do that...eh...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 13:34:19
#71 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@resle

Quote:

resle wrote:
@Franko

Quote:
Ahh... (username) dear desperate (username)...




Why did you post a picture of yourself !!!

Didn't think this thread was about you admiring yourself in a mirror... still stranger things have happened I suppose...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 18:01:04
#72 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

Lets for the sake of doing something a bit different & unusual here and throw some FACTS into this thread...

FACT: this thread was about a comment posted in reply to a YouTube video about a C64 advert...

FACT: There is nothing in the video in question or indeed in the question asked by the poster on YouTube about either the internet or what some people consider the definition of the word "Computer" to mean...

FACT: Certain folk when it wandered off topic into the realms of the internet & the definition of the word "Computer" replied with some of the most craziest whacked out comments I've had the misfortune to read this side of Moobunny...

FACT: Not once in the real world have I ever asked and been answered by either someone I know or in a computer store by it's staff when asking the question "I'm interested in buying a new computer" have they either said or directed me to the section selling mobile phones or TV's...

FACT: When I mentioned once that the subject had wandered off topic this was used by a certain absurd person to claim that I was somehow failing in my arguments, strange that when any other members or moderators point out a thread is going off topic that this same absurd person doesn't accuse them of failing in their arguments...

FACT: I never once contradicted anything I have said in this thread despite the delusional ramblings of someone who thinks that I did...

FACT: Facts seem to upset certain members here when those facts simply prove what they are saying is wrong or are even just plain dumb & ignorant in some of their comments...

FACT: It's always a great source of joy and pleasure to me on these forums to try and help educate some of these delusional people who post such absurd answers and crazy opinions, in the vain hope that one day they will see how wrong they were and maybe, just maybe stop posting crazy opinions & drivel and instead just for a wee change one day actually post something sensible or dare I say it an actual FACT...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 18:20:51
#73 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 30-Sep-2005
Posts: 4499
From: Quattro Stelle

Globalisation, transnationals, corporations, privatisation and capitalism = the mother of all evils and unhappiness in the world.

Last edited by TheDaddy on 12-Apr-2012 at 06:28 PM.

_________________
www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 19:05:26
#74 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
Globalisation, transnationals, corporations, privatisation and capitalism = the mother of all evils and unhappiness in the world.


Nah... dropping a nice freshly made slice of toast that always lands butter side down is the real cause of global unhappiness and many wars...

Well that and "Reality TV Shows"...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
black party dresses
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 19:53:38
# ]

0
0

Moderation Note: Deleted Spamming Commercial Ads. -- Moxee

Last edited by Moxee on 12-Apr-2012 at 09:23 PM.

 
     Report this post  
djrikki 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 19:55:15
#76 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 22-Jun-2010
Posts: 2077
From: Grimsby, UK

On the definition of a computer, this is what a computer is to me. However, I agree that the lines are completely blurred to many people these days.

COMPUTER: Software: It has an OS that can accept both keyboard and mouse input. Hardware: I can attach a real keyboard, and a mouse to it. Can be any shape or size, portable, non-portable, it doesn't matter. But above all else I must be able to attach these two devices to it if I so wish.

If you just want to consume content on the internet you are not 'computing'. Nowadays if that's all you want to do you buy a device such as an iPad which is not geared towards real productivity.

Apple recognised the difference clearly (just like me) and this is precisely why the iPad (in its current form factor) does not possess a USB port.

Last edited by djrikki on 12-Apr-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Last edited by djrikki on 12-Apr-2012 at 07:56 PM.

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: black party dresses
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 19:58:50
#77 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@rkerkaif

Quote:

rkerkaif wrote:



Ooooh lovely...

I'll take two prom dresses for meself (size small)...

and a Wedding gown for wee fat Albert the talking squirrels soon to be missus (she's preggers so make it express delivery)...

Moderation Note: Deleted quoted commercial ads. I like your reply though. --- Moxee

Last edited by Moxee on 12-Apr-2012 at 09:05 PM.

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
pixie 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 20:15:50
#78 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 10-Mar-2003
Posts: 2668
From: Figueira da Foz - Portugal

@jingof

Quote:

jingof wrote:
@Franko

Quote:
The most ironic thing is computers (the very thing we all love) are to blame for this...

Computers are largely responsible. The other big component is the rampant use of drugs going on, with weed containing 15x to 30x the THC levels of our generation. Roughly half of high school students in the US are using drugs regularly now with these ridiculous and unprecedented THC levels, according to a recent news report. And because of the widespread nature of the problem, teens are considering this "normal" and entering the workforce while retaining these habits.

For example, another news report showed US factory workers at an Airplane manufacturing facility, early to mid-20's, getting high during their lunch break, while talking on their technology. Then, returning to the manufacturing floor to finish putting the airplane together, while high.

Again, you can surely think of cases like this from 30 years ago. But it is a question of statistics. The median cases, not the outliers.


If the world managed to get past the 60s I think it's safe to say that it will survive mostly anything you throw at it...

_________________
Indigo 3D Lounge, my second home.
The Illusion of Choice | Am*ga

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: black party dresses
Posted on 12-Apr-2012 22:17:06
#79 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@Franko

Quote:

Franko wrote:

Moderation Note: Deleted quoted commercial ads. I like your reply though. --- Moxee


Awe... the weddings off now and poor wee Albertina (she was wee fat Albert the talking squirrels soon to be pregnant wife) will now be tarred as a single mother and have to nip down the social and get a grant instead to bring up her illegitimate offspring...

And I was looking forward to me nice new prom dress too...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: Was that even possible back then !!!
Posted on 13-Apr-2012 14:57:51
#80 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 29-Jun-2010
Posts: 2809
From: Unknown

@pixie

Quote:

pixie wrote:

If the world managed to get past the 60s I think it's safe to say that it will survive mostly anything you throw at it...


Did the world really get past the 60's... eh... did it !!!

Or is this whole internet & computers thing nothing more than some spaced out hippies LSD trip and we, it and everything in the universe are all just part of his whacked out trip...

Sometimes wonder meself when I read some of the posts here...

_________________

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle