Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 145 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Rob

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  4 mins ago
 kolla:  13 mins ago
 amigakit:  26 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  34 mins ago
 zipper:  38 mins ago
 OlafS25:  41 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  43 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Commodore USA, In Conclusion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
linnar 
Re: Commodore USA, In Conclusion
Posted on 22-May-2012 10:28:31
#41 ]
Cult Member

@tommywright

Quote:

tommywright wrote:
@linnar

Quote:
What is left?
A very nice designed and well-equipped PC with its own OS with its own name and that can run any PC compatible OS if required.

OMG! That's so incredibly short sighted! There is a TON that they can do!

Lets say it's true that CUSA can't use AROS (which I seriously have doubt about.. no court would uphold something as vague as not being able to use an OS that "looks" like AOS.. that could mean anything). Even if this were true or that CUSA is just scared of Hyperion or whatever, nothing says they can't encourage customers to install AROS for fun.... which is exactly what they should do! Beyond that, they should be encouraging AROS development with funds, meetups, hardware, software, etc. etc.

AROS is not ready.. yes, this is true (for now). So CUSA chose Linux. Great choice! I love Linux and love the Linux community. What makes Linux so cool to people like me is the whole Open Source thing. Freedom in software! The freedom to develop, change and distribute protected hardware and software is the future. Anyone not on board will be left behind very soon (my prediction). If the Commodore name ever wanted to make a comeback, this is where it could happen. These OSS OSH companies make money by supporting the products they give away, taking a cut on software sales, music, movies, cloud space, etc. Even the gaming industry (my industry) is taking notice to this type of business structure. There are now several free games that make money through mini purchases.

Ok... battery is running out here... just look at the creative ways OSS and OSH are making money and come up with something like it.

Oh.. and cases! They could make super cool, retro cases like they did with the 64x. What happened to that?!?

..and merchandise! Where is the merchandise?!?

Geez... I should be running that company. :p

I agree with some of what you write!

If Cusa would send Aros in their machines, they would probably pass a law suit against Hyperion. But I tor not they want to allow themselves time and money a trial would require. But most important is probably that they do not want to be enemies with Hyperion. You never know what's coming in the future ...

Wait a little while longer and you will see that there will be more self-designed case!
What I know is coming is an Amiga 1000x and later an Amiga 500x. No one is really retro, but they will remind you a bit about classic.
They also have a laptop on the list and peripherals such as monitor, mouse, joystick, and more.

But there is still a small company with under 10 employees. They can not do everything at once. The most important thing right now is that it should carry itself and pay their own expenses. Until now, Barry shoveling money into, it will not last for long.

So, wait, be patient, it will be more, much more!

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 22-May-2012 15:01:51
#42 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Do you want to prove that the "Amiga Mini" is cheap, we only do not understand it? There are a lot of reports about it and all conclude that it is too expensive, there are lots of comments by users saying it is too expensive. Do you think they are all wrong? Amiga (in the past) was a good system, affordable for many people with a special hardware/OS package. This branded PC has nothing of that and IS expensive.

OlafS25 
Posted on 22-May-2012 15:16:07
#43 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

there are companies around here that also offer Notebooks, Desktops... even you can pick the components you want and that are cheap (of course not with "Amiga" on it). It would have been better if they not had licensed "Amiga" (and avoided legal problems) and instead sold "Commodore PC" with Linux/Aros. Hyperion would have had no chance to do anything against it and it would be accepted as a kind of "Amiga" in the community. Now they can call it "Amiga" but have no products that justify the name. And as long as there is no drastic change (really something new) the (negative) views will not change.

tommywright 
Posted on 22-May-2012 16:20:42
#44 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
It would have been better if they not had licensed "Amiga" (and avoided legal problems) and instead sold "Commodore PC" with Linux/Aros.

Wow.. that is a good point! I never thought about that. I totally agree! Besides, the Amiga name draws so much emotion from ex-Amiga owners. It means so many different things to so many different people. There is no way to satisfy everyone in this community. They would have been WAY better off staying away from that name.

If it were me, I would drop the entire Amiga line.. give that name back and try and get my money back from Amiga Inc. Then tie the name Commodore with OSS freedom. Make a Linux computer with all sorts of drivers for every type of distro. I would go as far as pre-installing distros by request. You like Mint? Bam! You get a pre-built machine with Mint and all the drivers for everything ready to rock. Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Open Suse, Arch, CentOS... and even obscure distros (if people ask for them). THEN you could justify charging more because you're actually offering a service someone would pay for.

That is a 7-figure idea right there and it took one day to come up with it! All I'm saying is think outside the box. CUSA's business plan (the gist we can get of it) is just too simple for today's tech industry. The tech world isn't that simple anymore.

CritAnime 
Posted on 22-May-2012 16:40:10
#45 ]
Cult Member

@linnar

Again you assume that I know nothing about all this...

Commodore USA could cut a bit more off the pricing and still make a healthy profit. Especially if they are doing as well as they often claim they are. The for the prices you have to assume that he isn't getting a good deal on the components. So are they doing as well as they claim? Or is it simply the premium pricing trick again?

All I know is that when you actually do the math on a unit, including shipping and import taxes (which I calculated to be nearly £800), they don't make much value at all. Yet go buy the same components and even getting someone to build it for me still costs less than the most basic full mini.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

linnar 
Posted on 22-May-2012 19:10:44
#46 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@linnar

Do you want to prove that the "Amiga Mini" is cheap, we only do not understand it? There are a lot of reports about it and all conclude that it is too expensive, there are lots of comments by users saying it is too expensive. Do you think they are all wrong? Amiga (in the past) was a good system, affordable for many people with a special hardware/OS package. This branded PC has nothing of that and IS expensive.

If you read my posts you would see that I write it expensive but it becomes so when a small business to assemble computers and shipped out across the world with suppoart, warranties, service and everything that goes with it.

Try yourself and you will be amazed what expensive everything is revolved around the computer itself.

linnar 
Posted on 22-May-2012 19:12:28
#47 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@linnar

there are companies around here that also offer Notebooks, Desktops... even you can pick the components you want and that are cheap (of course not with "Amiga" on it). It would have been better if they not had licensed "Amiga" (and avoided legal problems) and instead sold "Commodore PC" with Linux/Aros. Hyperion would have had no chance to do anything against it and it would be accepted as a kind of "Amiga" in the community. Now they can call it "Amiga" but have no products that justify the name. And as long as there is no drastic change (really something new) the (negative) views will not change.

Be patient, Rome was not built in a day!

linnar 
Posted on 22-May-2012 19:14:59
#48 ]
Cult Member

@tommywright

Quote:

tommywright wrote:
@OlafS25

Quote:
It would have been better if they not had licensed "Amiga" (and avoided legal problems) and instead sold "Commodore PC" with Linux/Aros.

Wow.. that is a good point! I never thought about that. I totally agree! Besides, the Amiga name draws so much emotion from ex-Amiga owners. It means so many different things to so many different people. There is no way to satisfy everyone in this community. They would have been WAY better off staying away from that name.

If it were me, I would drop the entire Amiga line.. give that name back and try and get my money back from Amiga Inc. Then tie the name Commodore with OSS freedom. Make a Linux computer with all sorts of drivers for every type of distro. I would go as far as pre-installing distros by request. You like Mint? Bam! You get a pre-built machine with Mint and all the drivers for everything ready to rock. Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Open Suse, Arch, CentOS... and even obscure distros (if people ask for them). THEN you could justify charging more because you're actually offering a service someone would pay for.

That is a 7-figure idea right there and it took one day to come up with it! All I'm saying is think outside the box. CUSA's business plan (the gist we can get of it) is just too simple for today's tech industry. The tech world isn't that simple anymore.

As early as Cusa have thought about it, they are free to send along Aros in Vic-series.

linnar 
Posted on 22-May-2012 19:21:48
#49 ]
Cult Member

@CritAnime

Quote:

CritAnime wrote:
@linnar

Again you assume that I know nothing about all this...

Commodore USA could cut a bit more off the pricing and still make a healthy profit. Especially if they are doing as well as they often claim they are. The for the prices you have to assume that he isn't getting a good deal on the components. So are they doing as well as they claim? Or is it simply the premium pricing trick again?

All I know is that when you actually do the math on a unit, including shipping and import taxes (which I calculated to be nearly £800), they don't make much value at all. Yet go buy the same components and even getting someone to build it for me still costs less than the most basic full mini.

I have an acquaintance who works at a "computer refurbished" it is an assembly plant for computers of standard parts. A computer that costs about $ 1000 in their shop (they sell their computers themselves) costs one third of the shares, or about $ 300.
They expect one-third principle, that third component cost, 1/3 construction costs, support, service, warranty costs, etc., 1/3 gross profit and advertising expenses.

Rob 
Posted on 23-May-2012 4:28:14
#50 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
If you read my posts you would see that I write it expensive but it becomes so when a small business to assemble computers and shipped out across the world with suppoart, warranties, service and everything that goes with it.

Like this?

http://www.vesalia.de/e_aresone[6619].htm

linnar 
Posted on 23-May-2012 5:06:17
#51 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

(There was something wrong with the quote? Everything was quote ... the deleted)

Yes, I've read it! I have also read about the Amiga One 500 and x1000.
AresOne seems to keep the component cost.

The prize can not be compared with Cusa who absolutely want to live on their product.
Note that I also think Amiga Mini is expensive but not spectacularly expensive. Also, I think prices will fall when sales increase. Right now sits 5-6 people and screw them together by hand. It will be a high labor cost per computer. We need a series of conveyor belts for the price to be reduced. Very many of the other manufacturers assemble their PCs in China, where the salary is $ 1-2 per hour and they work up to 60 hours per week. Yet their computers costing $ 700-1200 with similar spec as the Amiga Mini. Keep in mind that their case is much cheaper than the Amiga Mini.

Should not there be other aspects than just the price?

Last edited by linnar on 23-May-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Last edited by linnar on 23-May-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Last edited by linnar on 23-May-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Last edited by linnar on 23-May-2012 at 05:07 AM.

vox 
Posted on 1-Aug-2012 0:58:06
#52 ]
Elite Member

@tommywright

Tommy, can I publish this at antiCUSA blog, its brilliant

tommywright 
Posted on 1-Aug-2012 2:07:20
#53 ]

@vox

I'm honestly not "anti-CUSA". You're welcome to re-post it because I've publicly posted it.. but understand that I myself am not looking to hurt CUSA. I'm actually trying to help them focus their business model on something that could possibly be successful.

vox 
Posted on 1-Aug-2012 6:48:56
#54 ]
Elite Member

@tommywright

I also had such faith in the beginning, but they simply "don`t listen"/ Maybe with some new people in some other time ...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle