Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

clint

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  2 mins ago
 vox:  8 mins ago
 Gunnar:  11 mins ago
 pixie:  19 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  24 mins ago
 zipper:  59 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 janelancy:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiwest 2012
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
jorkany 
Re: Amiwest 2012
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 13:55:12
#41 ]
Cult Member

@number6
Quote:
P.S. I suppose the detractors don't think PCs running windows are being well represented at Amiwest.

I agree number6, it's too bad CUSA so far hasn't signed on as an exhibitor.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 13:57:18
#42 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
I agree number6, it's too bad CUSA so far hasn't signed on as an exhibitor.

Actually they were invited last year, but expressed they were not in the position yet to consider doing an exhibition.

elwood 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 13:59:05
#43 ]
Elite Member

@number6

And now it's Amigans that are not in position to want their exhibition!
SCNR

Amiga Translator Organisation

sundown 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 17:24:48
#44 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
Actually they were invited last year, but expressed they were not in the position yet to consider doing an exhibition.#6

Things change over the years, cusa would be wiser to attend another show catering to windows/linux PCs.

Last edited by sundown on 21-Jun-2012 at 05:41 PM.

number6 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 17:28:23
#45 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:
Things change over the years, cusa would be wiser to attend another show catering to widows/linux PCs.

I had no idea there were shows exclusively devoted to widows.

sundown 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 17:39:46
#46 ]
Elite Member

@number6

The International CES show in Vegas.

"Las Vegas tech show: where dreams die", oh dear!

sundown 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 18:00:31
#47 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

Quote:
@sundown

One of my favs is Friday night fix it.(when we SACC members help mostly classic machines with installs, fixes and add-ons)

I agree, a great time to help ppl & chat.

My thinking is to have someone do a demo of some of the 68k graphic apps shown on a classic. There are some nice ones & some will work on the NG systems, still. I think the best way to grow the show is to give a reason for the classic guys to return, just makes sense to me.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 18:29:11
#48 ]

@sundown

One big draw for classic users is the SACC table. Since we have software, manuals, books.
Amigas, all kinds of hardware from video toaster cards to scsi controllers and hard to find items.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the prices are so small.

eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 19:48:49
#49 ]

@SACC-dude

Quote:
One big draw for classic users is the SACC table. Since we have software, manuals, books.
Amigas, all kinds of hardware from video toaster cards to scsi controllers and hard to find items.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the prices are so small.

that's an excellent point. there is a huge selection of classic amiga software -- boxed and complete with manuals, disks, the lot -- as well as new and slightly used classic hardware. i was amazed at some of the stuff you guys had last year. so if anyone has a classic system, and wants to enjoy the old feeling of going to a show (or shop) and picking out a software title or new hardware just like the 1980s never ended, amiwest is a good option.

-- eliyahu

RobertB 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 19:50:17
#50 ]

number6
Quote:
Actually they were invited last year, but expressed they were not in the position yet to consider doing an exhibition.

And they had been invited to the Commodore Vegas Expo in 2010 and in 2011. This year I finally received an answer... well, more of an inquiry. After telling them that we would welcome them with open arms, there was no reply. I waited for months but finally received an answer in a roundabout fashion when the CUSA CEO responded to questions at Amiga.org. In regards to supporting shows/events, he exactly answered to the following question,

Do you have any plans to attend any Amiga shows to demo your products?

"Unfortunately, no. I was actually excited to do that, until I discovered the attendance at various Commodore and Amiga shows was rather poor, making it hard to justify the expense. We would rather create our own Commodore show in more easily accessible and populated regions, or perhaps as an adjunct to a major computing show."

Disappointed,
Robert Bernardo
organizer - July 28 -29 Commodore Vegas Expo
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

RobertB 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 19:54:18
#51 ]

SACC-dude wrote:
Quote:
...all kinds of hardware from video toaster cards to scsi controllers and hard to find items.

I myself bought 3 SCSI controller cards for A2000s and a Video Toaster A2000 keyboard. :)

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 28-29 Commodore Vegas Expo v8 -

number6 
Posted on 21-Jun-2012 20:19:14
#52 ]
Elite Member

@RobertB

Quote:
Disappointed,

Don't be. It's management speak.

Moxee 
Posted on 22-Jun-2012 3:20:36
#53 ]
Team Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
looks like i may have to rebook my train.

Oh, lucky you traveling across the country by train. I've always wanted to circle the country by train. From here down to Southern California, then across the south to Florida, up the east coast to New England, then across the north back to the NW.

I checked out AmTrak to Sacrament from where I live in South Central Washington, but the closest I can get on is 75-80 miles away in Pasco. Then I'd have a long wait in Portland, Oregon waiting for the Coast Starlight to Sacramento. I don't know anyone who'd drive me 80 miles to catch a train, then come back in 3 days to pick me up. That's 320 miles total.

Flying is inconvenient too. We have an airport here, but you have to go to Seattle for a connection and endure hours of waiting there both directions.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

amigadave 
Posted on 22-Jun-2012 3:57:20
#54 ]

@Moxee

Let me know if you ever decide to make that train trip. It sounds like a great way to see the country, and I have not traveled by train across the country since I was a kid and the family traveled from Southern Calif. to Michigan to visit relatives for the Summer.

The only way I would do it now is on trains with comfortable sleeper cars, where they also have nice diner cars, and those trains don't exist in many places any more, if at all, so the round trip you are thinking of making might be difficult by train, and in comfort.

@Robert Bernardo,

That comment by CUSA is a total copout. What other location are they going to be able to have their own Commodore Show that is more accessible than Las Vegas! You can get there cheaply from anywhere else in the country and several places outside of the USA. So if they want to have any kind of show for their products, combining it with CommVex makes the most sense.

It is clear that CUSA has nothing to offer and has failed miserably at being able to produce anything that anyone wants to purchase and I believe they will be out of business very shortly, because they have no vision of the future and nothing to offer the present or past users.

eliyahu 
Re: Amiwest 2012 (OT)
Posted on 22-Jun-2012 11:22:34
#55 ]

@amigadave

Quote:
The only way I would do it now is on trains with comfortable sleeper cars, where they also have nice diner cars, and those trains don't exist in many places any more, if at all, so the round trip you are thinking of making might be difficult by train, and in comfort.

i tend to travel on the ground if i can. i never enjoyed air travel, and with the TSA procedures over the past few years, i've effectively given it up entirely. amtrak isn't great, but it certainly beats driving; oh, and all overnight trains have sleeping accommodations and full dining cars. they're not terribly luxurious, but they've been getting better with refurbished cars now for the past few years.

the other nice thing is that between my blackberry, my playbook, and my laptop, i can continue to work remotely through most of the trip. the only bits without coverage tend to be through the rockies. otherwise i'm connected to my office the whole time.

@moxee

that round-trip idea, unfortunately, isn't exactly possible any more -- at least not with the routing you had in mind. the segment from new orleans to jacksonville has been suspended since hurricane katrina. you can always request a system timetable from amtrak, which is free and has details on all the routings and train options available.

-- eliyahu

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 22-Jun-2012 11:57:37
#56 ]

@amigadave

Quote:
It is clear that CUSA has nothing to offer and has failed miserably at being able to produce anything that anyone wants to purchase and I believe they will be out of business very shortly, because they have no vision of the future and nothing to offer the present or past users.

Then how is Hyperion still in business? Though, they seem to do get money from devs at very cheap interest rates to support them...

EDIT:
Even with a smiley, winky face this is still a cheap shot. Certainly you can do better than this. --- Moxee

Last edited by Moxee on 22-Jun-2012 at 10:26 PM.

RobertB 
Posted on 22-Jun-2012 17:47:21
#57 ]

amigadave wrote:
Quote:
...they (CUSA) have no vision of the future and nothing to offer the present or past users.

As CBM engineer Bil Herd told me last month at the Vintage Computer Festival East, "they are shooting themselves in the foot" for not supporting/appealing to classic users.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 28-29 Commodore Vegas Expo v8 -

Moxee 
Posted on 22-Jun-2012 21:50:49
#58 ]
Team Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Let me know if you ever decide to make that train trip. It sounds like a great way to see the country, and I have not traveled by train across the country since I was a kid and the family traveled from Southern Calif. to Michigan to visit relatives for the Summer.

I planned the trip out once and all of what you seek is available. You have to make reservations early though or you might have one segment without a berth. Getting all that stuff is expensive though.

I wanted a cabin or roomette, whatever they call it, for the trip to AmiWest in Sacramento last October, but gave up when I couldn't find anyone to take me the 80 miles to Pasco. I suppose I could fly to Pasco and take a cab to the AmTrak station. Or fly to Seattle and take the light rail from Sea-Tac airport to King Street Station to catch AmTrak. It would be a lot easier to go to Pasco though. Maybe I could drive myself down there and leave my car at a friend from my car club's house.

There is one problem with getting a room, you only have one window on one side. You miss all the scenery on the other side unless you don't spend your time in your room.

I've thought about laying over in a couple of places like Washington, DC. I've never been there and I've always wanted to visit the Smithsonian.

One of the Seattle Amiga Club member just took AmTrak to Southern California with his whole family. They got rooms and loved it.

Moxee 
Posted on 22-Jun-2012 22:22:42
#59 ]
Team Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
that round-trip idea, unfortunately, isn't exactly possible any more -- at least not with the routing you had in mind. the segment from new orleans to jacksonville has been suspended since hurricane katrina. you can always request a system timetable from amtrak, which is free and has details on all the routings and train options available.

Rats! They still don't have those lines repaired? AmTrak is using the freight tracks and it is difficult to believe that the major freight rail carriers have not put their lines back in service after all this time.

A quick check tells me that you have to go from New Orleans to Atlanta to Charlotte to Washington, DC. I'd hate to miss that corner of the country, but all is not lost.

All the AmTrak information is available here.

I see the cost of a one way trip from Pasco, WA to Sacramento with a roomette from Portland is $254.00. Must be double that for the return portion.

amigadave 
Posted on 23-Jun-2012 2:27:37
#60 ]

@Moxee

If you need a ride from the train station to the AmiWest 2012 Show hotel, let me know and I will pick you up and take you there in my car. I plan on being in the Mountain View area the week before the AmiWest 2012 Show.

All of my plans are dependent on my health and the possibility of a second back surgery some time later this year, but I have no idea of when that will happen, or even if it will happen.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle