Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  16 mins ago
 pixie:  17 mins ago
 Rob:  31 mins ago
 blmara:  56 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 50 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  FPGA Arcade Board Becomes Available !
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Faranheit 
FPGA Arcade Board Becomes Available !
Posted on 19-May-2012 7:52:08
#1 ]
From: Moselle / Lorraine / France / Luxembourg / Belgique

Hi all there,

For those who have followed the FPGA Arcade adventure, please note that the boards and its accessories become available piece by piece.

Take a look at my webserver for some pictures and videos showing this wonderful board in action !

For recall, this board emulates the 68000/68010/68020/68020EC processors, uses 2MB ChipRam and 9,50MB FastRam (soon we'll be able to use 57MB of FastRam), it emulates the OCS-A500/OCS-A1000/ECS and overall AGA chipset, two HDF Files can be used, 4 emulated floppy drives with 2 differents access speed.
It accepts kickstart from 1.3 to 3.1 (perhaps 3.9 later) and whatever version of workbench (even a light 3.9 one).

Overall, one expansion slot is integrated for a 060/ethernet/usb daughter board (should be released before end of 2012).

Thanks to MikeJ and Jakub for their wonderful work on these boards !

Thanks, Laurent aka Faranheit

Mobile : (+33) 7 71 10 72 22
Fax : (+33) 3 87 57 07 21
Mail : laurent@amedia-computer.com
Site : http://www.amedia-computer.com
Site : http://faranheit.dyndns.org:8080/FPGA%20Arcade/
MSN

Profile     Report this post  
Cameraman 
Re: FPGA Arcade Board Becomes Available !
Posted on 19-May-2012 11:11:34
#2 ]

@Faranheit

What Arcade games are and will be emulated?

spotUP 
Posted on 19-May-2012 11:20:14
#3 ]
Elite Member

The topic of this post is a bit missleading as they are not available to buy yet..?

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

Faranheit 
Posted on 19-May-2012 12:09:49
#4 ]

Hi,

The boards can be ordered, but I have no stock for the moment, all ones I have received have been sold and I'm waiting for some others from Mike on the following 4 / 5 weeks.

So, for those who are interested, please make a reservation quickly.

for the games, the main purpose of this board is to emulate an A1200 with some extra speeds, so, it can run the games in WHDLoad format or ADF format like the Minimig with the 010/020/020EC émulated, many more memory and soon the expansion board.

For example, with the current firmware version, it can run Rise of the Robots (whdload) or SuperStardust.

The firmware is based on the Minimig's one with more features.

If someone makes a core for another computer (like an AtariST for example), it will add new features ...

MSN

vox 
Posted on 19-May-2012 16:00:21
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Faranheit

Quote:
It accepts kickstart from 1.3 to 3.1 (perhaps 3.9 later

Congrats! 3.1 is the last kickstart and is enough to run OS 3.9 with 020 CPU and AGA

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 19-May-2012 16:06:12
#6 ]
Cult Member

I think this is a nice announcement. Seems like a fun thing to have. Is there someone out here who can explain the differences between this and Minimig? Or tell me where I can read up?

Derfs 
Posted on 19-May-2012 16:21:02
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Amiga_3k

simplest example is, if a minimig is a A500, then this is a A1200.

long version is it can run faster than a stock A1200 as standard, has more ram, and can be expanded to have ethernet, USB as well as a physical processor like a 68060. there are screen shots of a 68060 running at 100MHz.

depending on the core loaded, it could be other things not just an Amiga, like an Atari, Megadrive, Arcade machine etc. basically, its very cool ;)

if you want to have a long read about its progress, then try here

the title is very misleading as it is as available as it has been the last few months, which is not available at all, but mikej will let people know when the next batch is made.

Last edited by Derfs on 19-May-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Faranheit 
Posted on 20-May-2012 7:45:40
#8 ]

Hi all there ;)

According to Mike (this week), the boards are available, so it can be ordered and there is a delay for having them since he makes many travels in whole world, so, he can send it only when he's at home and after testing the boards ordered.

So, in theory, it is available, it's just a matter of time (this is why I talked about 4 / 5 weeks) !

Differences between Minimig and FPGA Arcade board :
- Minimig can only use a 68000, FPGA Arcade emulates 68000/68010/68020/68020EC processors,
- Minimig has only 2MB Ram (or 4MB Ram depending on the model), FPGA Arcade board has 11,5MB Ram usable for the moment and 60MB later (new firmware for that is in tests and near completion),
- Minimig can only integrated in a Crystal case now since Minibox are not available any more, FPGA Arcade can be integrated in any ATX / Micro ATX / Mini ITX case if you take the accessories for this ; an example of a fully integrated board is HERE,
- Minimig can only emulate ECS chipset, FPGA Arcade board can emulate OCS-A500 / OCS-A1000 / ECS and overall AGA chipset,
- Minimig can't be extended, FPGA Arcade board has an expansion slot for the upcoming 060 daughter board which will integrate a real 68060 processor, an ethernet port, at least 2 USB ports and a micro SD memory card slot for using a card like a real hard drive,
- FPGA board can run the 68020EC emulated processor up to 99MHz,
- FPGA Arcade board has a SVHS video out port which will be fully supported later (with the new upcoming firmware).

If you want to see it in action, just take a look at the little video I have made.

MSN

amigadave 
Posted on 20-May-2012 10:48:02
#9 ]

@Faranheit

Do you have permission from MikeJ to be reselling his boards? What is your price without VAT, for people living in the USA and other countries that are exempt from paying VAT?

Edit: (I am now satisfied that you have MikeJ's permission to resell his products, so forgive me asking the above question, but I have a high regard for Mike and his work and would not want anyone taking undue advantage of him, without his permission or knowledge)

I have canceled my member account at Amiga.org and do not go there even to read news or threads any more, so I do not know what is new it that epic long thread about the FPGA Arcade Replay board. Can you tell me if MikeJ has finished and released the new firmware and/or a new core for the Replay board? I have not turned on my Replay board in a few months, but I want to get on the list to buy one of the first daughter boards when they are available. I have my 68060 sitting here waiting to be plugged into the Replay's daughter board as soon as possible. It is not one of the last versions, so I probably can't run it at 100MHz, or faster, like MikeJ and others will be able to do when they get their boards setup and overclocked the way that they want them. 50 to 60MHz is fast enough for me until I can find another 68060 with the right mask revision for overclocking to 100MHz. I have a 68060 accelerator in one of my A4000's that is running stable at 80MHz which might be the right mask revision to go faster in the Replay's daughter board.

The Arcade Replay board is a really cool product and has great potential in the future to run all kinds of platforms and software.

I hope you are authorized by MikeJ to do what you are doing and that you will keep this thread up to date with all the latest news about the Replay board and what ever MikeJ is doing, along with the others that are working with him.

Last edited by amigadave on 20-May-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Faranheit 
Posted on 20-May-2012 12:10:56
#10 ]

@amigadave

MikeJ has agreed (since it has not been through 'official' paper) that I resell FPGA Arcade boards like I do for Minimig or Sam's boards for example, or like I did it before when Pegasos boards were still available, so it's been a long time now that I resell Amiga products, with the society where I worked and also as private person.

For the moment, I can't resell the boards without VAT since I don't do it with a company, perhaps later in the following weeks since I'll begin a new work with an old Amiga user.

Yes, I'll post any news about this board (like the upcoming new firmware) when it's done and fully tested.

I don't want to make any moral damages to Mike or Jakub who are working very hard on this wonderful board. I don't make this as a full time work, I just want to help people in getting these products and give more time to Mike and Jakub for developping it.

If you don't trust what I say, just send a message to Mike for asking him.

See you later when new firmware is ready.

P.S. : I'm also really waiting the 060 daughter board.

Laurent aka Faranheit

MSN

RodTerl 
Posted on 20-May-2012 12:11:07
#11 ]
Cult Member

I wonder what the chances would be of using the daughter board slot, the Siamese software, and the Raspberry Pi piggyback setup?

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 20-May-2012 12:59:56
#12 ]
Cult Member

Strange. I was in list long time ago and didn't received a mail from mikej telling the avilability of the boards.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

Faranheit 
Posted on 20-May-2012 13:25:24
#13 ]

@_ThEcRoW

I think it's because Mike is often in travel, so it's hard for him to answer to everybody ;)

Faranheit

MSN

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 20-May-2012 17:30:25
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Faranheit

It seems like a nice 'next generation' minmig then.

amigadave 
Posted on 20-May-2012 18:35:50
#15 ]

@Faranheit

Mike was getting ready for a larger production run. Is your announcement an indication that this larger production run is finished and ready for sale to everyone? Do you know how many Replay boards are supposed to be included in the next production run, or the current production run of the Replay boards?

Have you heard of any new information from Jakub regarding his work on new video modes/resolutions, or his progress in beta testing his daughter board? The latest pictures of his daughter board look like it is complete, with all components installed, so I am wondering if he has everything working yet. The Ethernet port, the 3 USB ports, the extra RAM, etc.?

Since we do not have the equal here, of the huge thread about the FPGA Arcade Replay that A.org has, it would be good if you can summarize the information from that thread and also post any links to any new announcements by MikeJ, or Jakub within the last few weeks, that will tell us what is currently going on with this project.

Thanks for starting this thread, the FPGA Arcade Replay board project is one of the most exciting new products and projects to hit the Amiga community in a while.

Faranheit 
Posted on 20-May-2012 18:45:10
#16 ]

Hi ;)

According to my last mails with Mike, the first full batch is in tests stage, so I can take 'pre'-orders.

I have yet sent some fully assembled boards and I'm waiting for the new firmware from Mike.

I don't exactly how many boards are still possible but I think at least 15, knowing that I have yet reserved some of them since 2 weeks.

For the daughter board, all I know is that Jakub has got his own board working for tests, included ethernet and USB working as well as extra ram and micro SD memory card slot.

And yes, like I have said it, as soon as I have some news, I'll post it here.

Thanks for supporting Mike and Jakub for their awesome work !

Laurent aka Faranheit

MSN

amigadave 
Posted on 20-May-2012 20:36:56
#17 ]

@Faranheit

Do you know if MikeJ has stopped selling boards directly to other people and are you his official distributor for the FPGA Arcade Replay boards?

If you are, then you need to resolve how to remove the VAT you are charging all of your customers, so buyers living in countries that do not have to pay the VAT can get these boards at the prices that MikeJ had quoted in the long thread on A.org.

People that have been waiting for a long time to get their Replay board should contact MikeJ again, or should they contact you, as the only distributor? This is somewhat confusing as it appears several people have been waiting for their boards for a long time and have not heard back from MikeJ.

Edit: You can understand how some people might be if they have been waiting for 6 months to get their FPGA Arcade Replay board, when they find out that you have reserved more than one board, so you can sell them to other people. I hope that you can clear this up with Mike and anyone who has been waiting for a long time, thinking that they have been on a list of buyers waiting for a board to be completed so it is ready to be delivered from Mike to them. I guess my suggestion to those people that have been waiting for a long time and had sent one or more emails to Mike giving him notice that they wanted to be placed on the list of buyers, is that they should email Mike again and again until they receive a reply from him and maybe they should find and forward their first email messages showing that they had already contacted him to be included on the list of buyers, so he can use the dates on the forwarded first emails to determine where these people belong on his list of waiting buyers.

I know for myself, I am going to contact Mike again to make sure I am on the list of people waiting for a daughter board, even though I know that the new daughter boards won't be available for many months from now.

Last edited by amigadave on 20-May-2012 at 08:48 PM.

opi 
Posted on 21-May-2012 4:00:38
#18 ]
Team Member

@Faranheit

Hey, that looks pretty fun. But can you tell me if you can run AmigaOS on it? I see HDF support, so I'm guessing it's possible, but I wanted to make sure.

Toaks 
Posted on 21-May-2012 5:28:37
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Faranheit

your site just gives me, Server Busy.. try again later.

it still aint clear what the price will be and i hate that i have to pay V.A.T twice to get it if i buy it from you.

i hope Amigakit or other registered shops will stock em.

Wonderfull board and i have messed around with it for a while and i must say this is one of the reasons for my a1200 mediator etc setup is up on amibay etc.

i don't go to Amiga.org anymore either after the last couple months of yeahs... enough about that.

so here is my question, the daughterboard , is anyone testing that one right now?, as in not a developer etc, has the price been set ? , you say it will hopefully be available in 2012 but this board is like a must have for me and i want it really bad :D

Derfs 
Posted on 21-May-2012 5:28:59
#20 ]
Cult Member

@opi

it does

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBIAncdZdf8

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle