Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  15 mins ago
 retrofaza:  27 mins ago
 kolla:  30 mins ago
 saimo:  36 mins ago
 A1200:  39 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  44 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  My AmigaOne X1000 Review!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ddni 
Re: My AmigaOne X1000 Review!
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 13:52:23
#21 ]
Cult Member

edit

Last edited by ddni on 07-Jun-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
ddni 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 13:55:54
#22 ]
Cult Member

@Epsilon

Thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Do not be disheartened by the naysayers on this board. These people have always been negative to anything OS4 / X1000 related.

Their meaness is not directed at you, it just so happens that they lack the politeness or grace to not post negatively in your thread.

Xenic 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 14:00:29
#23 ]

@Epsilon
Quote:
* No alt-TAB to switch between applications, and applications that are running are not shown in the dock for ease of switching.

Why would you want to alt-TAB between applications when you can just click the right mouse button with the pointer over the depth gadget of the active window and switch directly to the app you want by selecting it in the popup menu? To switch between apps on another screen, just click the right mouse button with the pointer over the screen depth gadget and select the screen you want from the popup menu. Of course you need to have the DepthToFront commodity active in your WBStartup prefs but maybe that's not active by default on the X1000? I'd much rather move directly to the application or window directly with DepthToFront than tab through other windows or apps to get to the one I want.

edponpon 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 14:15:53
#24 ]

@Epsilon

I Agree with DDNI, ignore the others - you did everyone a great service by posting your opinion/impression of a new Amiga. No matter what you seem to write or talk about, when it comes to Amiga, it will ALWAYS enrage the Amiga Zealots/Elitists to no end. In the end, as long as YOU are satisfied with your purchase and can do what you want/need to do, that's all that matters; people can take what you've written and do what they want with it. Good job, thanks.

Ed

AmigaOne X5000

Raspberry PI 400 - PiMiga 1.5
"That which doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger" - Someone important, but I forgot who

Xenic 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 14:19:53
#25 ]

@jorkany
Quote:
Is this a review of the X1000 or of OS4.1.5? Because going by your review it sounds like the only difference between a SAM and the X1000:

I didn't see any mention of SAM in his review. In fact, he mentions replacing his classic Amigas with an X1000. Your comment sounds more like "sour grapes" at not having OS4.1.5 on SAM or the cost of an X1000 than a critique of his review.

lylehaze 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 14:37:16
#26 ]

@Epsilon

Nice, very thorough.
And welcome to Club X!

A few thoughts and details:

Printing:.. I have not tried it yet, but I'm anxious to give one of the new HP E-Print printers a try. Apparenly you just send your BMP, jpg, or PDF file to the printers E_Mail address. If it works as well as it sounds, drivers may not be needed at all! This would be a BIG step in the right direction, if it works.

Memory: The 2G limit is software related, and the 4G should be available now in Linux, and possibly later under OS4, as you mentioned. But having 2 ram sticks instead of one also runs slightly faster, because the ram accesses are interleaved. It's not a huge difference, but it does add value to the extra ram you bought.

Front USB port:
The first two ports are USB2, the third port is USB 3. Some earlier Fractal cases had e-SATA connections there, Fractal has offered both at one time or another.
The USB3 connector is backwards-compatible with USB2, but has a different connector at the motherboard end.

I hope you enjoy your new machine!

LyleHaze

Arnie 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 15:10:16
#27 ]
Cult Member

@jorkany

Quote:
What about "The Power of X"? You know, the things that are supposed to make the X1000 special, kind of like the Amiga was with it's custom hardware: Xena (the onboard XMOS), Xorro (the proprietary hardware slot), and the second CPU core? Any word on how those things perform?

How can anyone review these things as AmigaOS is not able to use them!

@Epsilon,

Thanks for the review, you have made many valid points about usefulness of the machine in its current state under OS4. As yet it is no way being used to its full potential, something that can only improve.

The price in my opinion is always going to be its achilles heel, I bought an earlybird A1XE which at the time was also expensive but when I ordered it the specs were comparable to the current PC's of the time, sadly that can not be said now. I don't think I can spend so much on a machine that can not cope with modern expectations- Timberwolf is way too slow (even my slow broadband has to wait for it to catch up). The other browsers although faster are still behind the times I find Facebook grinds to a halt after a couple of clicks on all of them.

Is the X1000 stable on the hardware side, that is something worth noting, the XE's are about as stable as a chair with a leg sawn off, never know when it will fall.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 17:47:19
#28 ]

@Epsilon

Nice and welcome to the club.

Try these:
WindowThumbs - switch windows with alt+tab
FuelGauge - display disk usage underneath volume icons (on Workbench)
Cranu - easy to use GUI for archivers
HyperBench - a sort of Workbench clone (for multiple screens)

X1000 is very reliable piece of hardware and AmigaOS4.1 is pretty mature.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 07-Jun-2012 at 05:58 PM.

sundown 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 17:54:58
#29 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
Aside from that, glad you're happy having spent $2000 more than you would on a SAM running OS4.1.5. Hey, just think if OS4.1.5 never comes out for the SAM - you'll have something really special then!

Now there's a worthy rumor you can start on your home site. You have the nack to start the dumbest rumors. Your only goal is to spread FUD in hopes it will harm the ppl that support our hobby, what is it with you?

Edit: Thought I'd return the favor, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, proves my point nicely about you.

(Edit: Link removed by moderator due to profanity in thread title. This site is a family oriented site, so please do not post links to other sites which are inappropriate, or violate the TOS here.)

Last edited by amigadave on 08-Jun-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Last edited by sundown on 07-Jun-2012 at 06:32 PM.

hotrod 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 17:56:43
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

Hey there, instead of writhing "+1" everywhere make a damn review! And no, I'm not anymore usefull but I'm not interrupting each and every thread either. And offcourse your system is stable, you're only using HD-Rec so what would you expect?

mbrantley 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 18:08:14
#31 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod

Quote:
Hey there, instead of writhing "+1" everywhere make a damn review! And no, I'm not anymore usefull but I'm not interrupting each and every thread either. And offcourse your system is stable, you're only using HD-Rec so what would you expect?

Hey, give Kicko credit for making a well-produced tutorial video about his X1000 and favorite software application *on* his X1000. And it runs nearly a half-hour! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPocY3UlK5A That was a way lot of effort!

djrikki 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 18:30:14
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Epsilon

'An attempt to add App Store functionality'

I believe you are talking about Jack there - which I developed. I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about third-party software having analysed it very closely during the development of the App Store.

* Applications don't have an installer - All Apple applications have an installer even though 9 times out of 10 all they are doing is duplicating the bundle into /Applications. This is how Amiga-software should be written, except ask where it should be installed or even better, the AmigaOS development right-click and select New Drawer and call it 'Applications' on the Work partition on the base distribution along with /Images, /Documents, /Music etc etc... - *hint hint hint x 100,000*

* Dependencies - Its not good enough in 2012 to have a .readme that says download this and that - you must download it for them during installation. AmigaOS team must again, supply something in the distribution to be able to do this - e.g. Curl, Wget...

* Distribution file structure - Downloads should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a container drawer.. this pees me off no-end. Sick of downloading something and having to manually create a container drawer myself. Less annoying, but still present is archives containing custom drawer icons or icons in the OS3 format because the developer cannot be arsed to update them. This s-hit matters to me.

* Option to add to the frigging AmiDock (or even WBStartup if applicable) that has been around for donkey years should always be asked during installation.

Jack adheres to all these principles above, one-click install, dependencies included, ask to add to AmiDock, ask to add to WBStartup, correct OS4 icons and a correct file structure.

Some may read this as being smug, its not, its just how I do things and how I believe end-users expect things to behaviour and see.

The word 'tinker' gets mentioned far too often in the world of Amiga, young and new users don't 'tinker' like me and you did back in the day. Installing an app should not require any tinkering - a child should be able to do it - this is the world we live in today.

Last edited by djrikki on 07-Jun-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Last edited by djrikki on 07-Jun-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 19:10:25
#33 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Im doing +1 only on pages where i have same thinking as the person that i 1+ed. And i said welcome to the club :)

I didnt write an review as im not good in making these but as you said i did the hd-rec review. Ofcourse there are bugs i found after i did the review too as the version i got was rather new. Even if i dont usually make reviews i do help out folks with their problems, i do also betatest 3rd party apps wherever i can. Also support with money for bounties where'ever i can and afford and interested.

I also comment on apps threads about functionality. I told a couple of times that my x1000 feels much more robust then my old A1G4XE. Dont know if its just the hardware or if os4.1.5 has to do with that but well see when os4.1.5 gets released for non x1000 users later what folks thinks.

Arteffect filerequester is very slow on x1000 on own screen. Dont know why, maybe i just configured all the screens wrongly. But then i have written/commented in different threads about such things without writing a review. 3D drivers i still wait for. Wazp3D works ok for some apps/smaller games etc.But i wrote about that in many threads.

I have written alot of times that i replaced my A1 with X1000 so that means more then just running hdrec.

Ok lately i have been using more 1+ then i usually do. Please do see my own threads and search for my name and youll see i done much more then just +1 :) Please do search in amigans too and hyperion forums. We did write in same deniil thread about low netspeed on os4 etc.

Making the video doesnt just use hdrec but video clipping/editing/mixing apps. I do betatest some. It wasnt easy. Could have saved alot of days using just windows7 for that.

EDIT:

I dont see +1 like a bad thing. I use like on facebook and +1 on G+ daily. Its just giving someone that you like what he wrote. But ill try to use it less on threads.

Last edited by Kicko on 07-Jun-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Last edited by Kicko on 07-Jun-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Last edited by Kicko on 07-Jun-2012 at 07:14 PM.

LqM 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 20:40:57
#34 ]

@Epsilon

Thank you!!!

I am an original Amiga user. Bought my Amiga 1000 (actually my mom did) back when I was 16 in 1986 for $1200.00. No screen included. Since then I also have owned two Amiga 500s and a 2500HD. I used to use the 1000 and 500 for drum tracks live on stage with my electronic band back in the late 80s and early 90s. The last Amiga I used was my Amiga 2500HD in 1999 which I bought new from old new stock. All are long gone and sold now.

I have always supported Cloanto and what they do since then and was excited to hear about the X1000, but I was skeptical and your review kind of nails it down for me. The price is such an obstacle for a system that struggles to deliver even on some basic OS expectations like modern graphics drivers, etc.

You saved me a lot of money Epsilon and I thank you for that!

Now let me just alt-tab back to Skyrim.

pavlor 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 20:47:14
#35 ]
Elite Member

@LqM

Welcome!

Quote:
Now let me just alt-tab back to Skyrim

Wondurful game, except noodle like dungeons.

LqM 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 22:10:00
#36 ]

@pavlor

Yeah. Not to get off subject, but the Elder Scrolls dungeons were never outstanding. (never dark enough, etc.), but nothing the PC modding community couldn't handle. That is that game's strength are the mods.

Speaking of which, Legends of Grimrock coming out recently takes me back to the good old days of Dungeon Master on the Amiga and the fact that it was GOG.com and Steam's top selling title for a moment shows there is still demand for old school style gameplay.

Anyway, sorry Epsilon, not trying to hijack your thread!

TrevorDick 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 23:38:08
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Epsilon

Thanks for your AmigaONE X1000 report and comments about AmigaOS 4 in general. I'm glad you are having fun with your new Amiga.

A couple of points. I presume you have downloaded and installed the latest Timberwolf beta, which is fast on the A1-X1000? Being based on Firefox it also allows you to install an many addons, one which provides some compatibility with Youtube videos etc.

The AmigaONE X1000 "First Contact" systems are supplied with working Audio and Ethernet cards. However, I presume you have registered your AmigaOS licence with Hyperion Entertainment? As a "First Contact" customers you will be able download updated drivers and utilities when the become available. Two updates have already been made available to "First Contact" customers. The last one included the first Xena tools.

Also if you have any interest in GNU/Linux you now have the choice of six PowerPC Linux distributions to choose from. All support onboard Audio and Ethernet and several (Mint PPC11, Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian Wheezy) include support for hardware accelerated 2D/3D graphics drivers.

With regards to graphics driver support for AmigaOS4. This is where we are spending most of our effort -- but more news on this later.

TrevorD

Last edited by TrevorDick on 07-Jun-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 4:53:22
#38 ]

Quote:

Why would you want to alt-TAB between applications

Because it's faster ?
If you have to use the mouse it means you need to move the pointer to the correct position,...
You will have pressed alt+tab even before your mouse is at the correct position.

It's the fastest way to switch between two apps.

The depth icon menu is a good thing, but I'm not sure having the position of the task (window) menu change (since current window depth can be at any position depending on the size/position of current window) is a good thing for fast switching.

The ability to switch screens with the screen depth icon is a good thing though.

Anyway, nice to see some review of X1000!

Last edited by Leo on 08-Jun-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Last edited by Leo on 08-Jun-2012 at 04:54 AM.

hotrod 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 5:28:04
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

Sorry, mostly teasing but thanks for the info, that was interesting and good to know that you enjoy your new system. The video you did was nice too, good information for those who would like to know.

Kicko 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 5:35:13
#40 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

I should take things with a little bit o salt :)

Last edited by Kicko on 08-Jun-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle