Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

agami

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  32 secs ago
 Hypex:  6 mins ago
 Hammer:  7 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 27 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 31 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 25 mins ago
 mbrantley:  5 hrs 26 mins ago
 pixie:  5 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  My AmigaOne X1000 Review!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Slayer 
Re: My AmigaOne X1000 Review!
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 7:41:09
#41 ]

@Kicko

Quote:
I dont see +1 like a bad thing. I use like on facebook and +1 on G+ daily. Its just giving someone that you like what he wrote. But ill try to use it less on threads.

You could just copy and paste the entire reply but then someone would point out that you posted exactly the same thing as a prior post. You can't win.

I don't know if I'd ever used +1 until I replied in this thread

I just thought it was a bit of a laugh +1 your post which was a +1 of another

My X1000 family will always do exactly what I want them to do or expect them to do. The SAM family isn't even jealous and the other extended Amiga family don't care and are happy to relax.

Bring on the new model, I'll buy one or two

Profile     Report this post  
Epsilon 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 8:06:21
#42 ]

@Tomppeli

Thanks very much for these program suggestions to try out.

WindowThumb and Cranu are exactly what I was looking for - thanks for this help.

I know I can use Amiga-N/M or clicktofront, but I prefer alt-tab as it is much faster. Now I can!

I tried FuelGauge which is cool, but it only displays below the SYS: icon, even if I add WORK: to the VOLUMES=SYS:,WORK: in the tooltypes. Do you know if I am missing something obvious?

@trevordick

I used the version of Timberwolf delivered with the X1000. I checked today and confirmed the latest version is actually 4.0.1 and I downloaded it today and will give it more of a go.

If someone knows a youtube link that they can run properly in Timberwolf please send it my way so I can try it out. I tried to play back elude's we come in peace video on youtube in html5, since I know it is not HD, but it stutters badly and very very slow.

For now I am glad to use mui-owb as it works a lot better than the out of the box OWB in 4.1.5. For youtube I will use my iphone, ipad, TV, Mac or PC for now! I have no shortage of options for youtube playback, just would like to see it on Amiga!

I have to admit I have no interest running linux on the AmigaOne X1000. I want it to be an Amiga, and I look forward to the AmigaOS 4.2 update for new features, to take advantage more of the X1000 hardware, and hopefully the video support to run OpenGL games and speed up AGA Amiga emulation...

@all

Thanks all for your feedback and suggestions so far. I have really enjoyed using the Amiga X1000, and although I wish some things I already mentioned would run out of the box on AmigaOS4.1.5 without so much configuration and libraries needed, I am glad to have a strong support community to help out!

Thanks to the hyperion support forum today I found the solution to why the built-in DVPlayer cannot play any audio on DVD's on the X1000. I am glad for the solution, but I would have thought the required 2 audio codecs needed to be downloaded, bin files manually extracted and copied to a avcodecs directory structure in libs created manually should be standard in the OS build - so people can play DVD's out of the box. Just a suggestion, but I am very glad it works now so thanks for the help.

I also got mui-mplayer playing dvd's after I worked out that I needed to modify the device prefs to repoint the dvd device to the new X1000 sata device. Now DVD's play on MPlayer too.

BTW the X1000 hardware is stable and so is the OS so far - I have run it for many hours of normal use with no hangs or crashes. Some programs when run can cause crashes (eg. DosBox and Cinnamon Writer especially), but I think that it is more down to that software still being developed and/or incomplete features.

I know people were keen to find out what using an X1000 is really like, and I hope I have helped in showing some of that.

I am typing this out on my X1000 now, grooving away to Groove Salad streaming through TuneNet on a friday afternoon with a long weekend this weekend.

Quite happy at this point - Lots more trying out new AmigaOS 4.1 stuff to do, so I will dive back in now...

Catcha,
Epsilon

Kicko 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 9:29:40
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Epsilon

Good to hear your happy with your system. It gets better the more you know and fix your system to work as you want it :) Not easy to know what apps are out there and community helps out.

Xenic 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 18:09:30
#44 ]

@Leo
Quote:
Because it's faster ?
If you have to use the mouse it means you need to move the pointer to the correct position,...
You will have pressed alt+tab even before your mouse is at the correct position.

Really? I usually have one hand on the mouse most of the time and would need to move it to the keyboard to press the right alt key or look at the keyboard while I contort my left hand to press the left alt key with my thumb and the tab key with a finger. I believe you think it's better/faster because you are accustomed to doing it that way on a different OS. I only own/use an Amiga and would find alt-tab really awkward.

Quote:
It's the fastest way to switch between two apps.

You only run 2 applications at a time? I usually have 5-10 applications running on my Amiga at any given time. Right now I have a network screen with 5 applications running (OWB, MUI-OWB, YAM, Jabberwocky & Scriptlauncher), a Dopus screen with a shell window open for compiling and text editor with sources loaded, and 2 applications + shell window on my WorkBench screen.

I don't think you can use a system wide alt-tab on Amiga because too many apps use it for their own purposes. My text editor uses it for a shortcut to move to the end of a line. OWB is using it to move to the next object in this window. If I hit alt-tab right now, OWB moves the active object to the "Quote" button below the text editor window. Other programs use alt-tab too. Amiga is not a PC and some things can't always be easily changed to make it work like one.

djrikki 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 18:23:13
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Since its inception back in year whenever Alt+TAB is an absolute essential in every OS ever since. I can't imagine a world without Alt+TAB, it would be like trying to live on Earth without water.

Though having said that it seems many plebs, I mean non-literate computer users, i.e. the majority still use the frigging task bar/dock bar to switch between applications... do they not teach how to use computers in schools anymore?

Last edited by djrikki on 08-Jun-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Last edited by djrikki on 08-Jun-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Frags 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 19:20:56
#46 ]
Cult Member

@djrikki

You don`t like it because the key combo is different? What if it was Alt-Q ? What about RA-tab then? Who cares if it does the same thing?

- insert profound text here -

Xenic 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 20:06:04
#47 ]

@djrikki
Quote:
Since its inception back in year whenever Alt+TAB is an absolute essential in every OS ever since. I can't imagine a world without Alt+TAB, it would be like trying to live on Earth without water.

Personally, I can't imagine Alt+TABing through 10 applications to get to the one I want. Maybe it only switches between 2 most recently used apps or similar. Otherwise I would consider it a big pain in the a** if that were the only way to switch to another app.

Quote:
Though having said that it seems many plebs, I mean non-literate computer users, i.e. the majority still use the frigging task bar/dock bar to switch between applications... do they not teach how to use computers in schools anymore?

If I remember correctly, one reason that mouse driven point&click user interfaces were implemented was to eliminate the need to memorize a lot of keyboard key combinations. If you like Alt+TAB you would have loved using the original DOS WordPerfect. When I learned to use a computer in school we typed programs and data on IBM punchcards and launched programs from a teletype terminal

Kicko 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 21:58:25
#48 ]
Elite Member

I myself dont use ALT+TAB. I configured my Logitech mouse extra buttons to change between screens/windows. And one is for starting up Dopus4 :)

djrikki 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 23:02:05
#49 ]
Elite Member

@xenic

Trawling through 10 applications using Alt+TAB - or - Alt+TAB plus SHIFT to go the opposite way is a lot easier than using the taskbar or playing a game of 'find the application window hidden under other windows'. Each to their own I guess, but Alt+TAB is widely accepted.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 1:15:00
#50 ]
Cult Member

@djrikki

I simply move my mouse and let exposé to show all the apps at once, then click on the one i want to switch. Who needs alt+tab nowadays?. I certainly not since many years.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

mbrantley 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 1:53:58
#51 ]
Cult Member

@Epsilon

Thanks for the review! I hope to be using an X1000 of my own soon. Your assessments seem honest and well considered -- who can ask for more from a review?

Regarding playback of DVDs: I think we have to go through a few extra hoops to enable playback of most commercial DVDs so as to avoid some licensing/legal issues. It's the same in the Linux world, if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding alt-tab to cycle through open applications: For some reason or another I have never used this in any operating system. On Amiga, I tend to run most "big" applications on screens of their own and use Amiga-N and Amiga-M most often to cyclre through them, with the occasional screendrag to peek behind. But our system is so customizable, so glad you found a solution that works for you.

I also agree that the MUI version of OWB ought to be preinstalled if that's allowable, but I don't know what arrangements might be necessary.

Looking for forward to near-term improvements (hopefully this means 3D support and drivers for onboard sound and ethernet) as well as the longer-range goal of putting that second core to good use. Mostly looking forward to joining the party so I won't have to be so envious of you as I am now.

Quote:
I am very grateful to still be able to use new Amiga products in 2012 - ten years ago I didn't think it would still be going now and I am glad to be part of it still!

And that's exactly how I feel!

tommysammy 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 4:48:46
#52 ]
Cult Member

@Epsilon
wait a little bit it will give a new avcodec.library from Diego with altivec support in one file.
I have it here and it works very well.So we need only one file for complete support
Don`t ask for this file ,please ask Diego for it

Last edited by tommysammy on 09-Jun-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 10:31:55
#53 ]

@Epsilon

I think it saves your settings the first time you run it and the next time those saved settings will override the tooltypes. I have to look the code one day and make the whole thing more consistent. In meanwhile click the existing meter and then open the menu and select the Settings. Then use the settings GUI to add Work: into it.

Try this one too: WinBar.docky

@_ThEcRoW

WindowThumbs has TILES tooltype/setting which enables Mac Expose style window switching.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 09-Jun-2012 at 10:49 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 12:36:27
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Epsilon

ALT+TAB its Windows95 carp, every one most be brainwashed ?
We have Right AMIGA + M to switch between application screens.

Anyway on Windows7 the Right Window key + TAB is a lot more useful, press and point on window you like to use.

Screens are one key feature in Amiga environment, the more screens you have the better.
Tools and other crap you can have on workbench.

wawa 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 12:50:06
#55 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
ALT+TAB its Windows95 carp, every one most be brainwashed ? We have Right AMIGA + M to switch between application screens

my words exactly, lol;)

Quote:
Anyway on Windows7 the Right Window key + TAB is a lot more useful, press and point on window you like to use.

but why not just point and click that window. i really dont see the advantage to use the mouse and keyboard shortcut to using just mouse..

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 14:11:34
#56 ]
Cult Member

@Tomppeli

Interesting. Didn't know about that feature on amiga.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

djrikki 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 14:49:57
#57 ]
Elite Member

Well I don't use Screens, I open up everything on the Workbench

Leo 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 20:14:24
#58 ]

Quote:

You only run 2 applications at a time?

No, but I tend to switch frequently between only two (no, I don't switch to my music player every 10 seconds, I may switch from my texteditor/browser every 10 seconds though ;)). Whenever I need to switch to another screen/app, alt+tab is still fine, although the taskbar (or dock in Linux/Mac) may be fine for that.

And btw the thing is you can reach both alt/tab keys without looking at your kb: that's tge nice thing about it. I dare you reaching your depth menu and switch to a window without looking at your screen...

Anyway, I don't think it's the subject :)

Leo 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 20:16:13
#59 ]

Quote:

ALT+TAB its Windows95 carp, every one most be brainwashed ? We have Right AMIGA + M to switch between application screens

And no way to switch between windows with keyboard...

sundown 
Posted on 9-Jun-2012 21:54:08
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:
And no way to switch between windows with keyboard...

Try Utilities:commodities/FKey, you define the key to cycle windows. It has a "learn" mode to make it easy.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle