Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
29 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

NutsAboutAmiga,  OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  52 secs ago
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  6 mins ago
 Kremlar:  20 mins ago
 Rob:  24 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  47 mins ago
 clint:  52 mins ago
 vox:  59 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Recommendations for new gaming PC build
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Amiga_3k 
Re: Recommendations for new gaming PC build
Posted on 2-Oct-2012 10:02:42
#41 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Any decent (or half decent) search-engine should be able to provide you with some locations to download the original ISOs. Lazy bums go here, to the w7forums site.

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 2-Oct-2012 13:29:54
#42 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Hopefully the info regarding the A10 APU's is now released, since it is officially the 2nd of Oct. now, so I will go searching for what ever I can find, and see if pricing and where to purchase these for DIY computer builders, is available.

NewEgg has their onsite. The A10 is $129. The A8 is $109. Motherboards $60-$140.

More reviews, especially on the Motherboard side, should start trickling out soon. For the future (perhaps you want an SSD) go with A75 or A85x. The A55 chipset is 3Mb/s SATA II. A75/A85X are SATA III. The A85X added RAID-5. You probably won't use RAID-5 for gaming but it's good to have options.

You are welcome and best of building.

amigadave 
Posted on 2-Oct-2012 17:25:07
#43 ]

@BrianK

It looks like the A10 + Motherboard Combo from NewEgg is the way to go. They offer a $10 discount when you buy both together. I am also considering buying the faster DDR3 1866 RAM to match the maximum speed supported by the GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-UP4 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.

This combo pushes the total upgrade price of Motherboard, APU & RAM to over $350 with shipping, which is more than I wanted to spend, but the final build makes more sense this way, even though the top of the line A8 APU with it's ability to be over-clocked is also an good choice. Since there is only $20 difference in the price of the APU's, I decided to go with the new A10, but that also bumped the price of the motherboard from $75 to $130.

I hope the components I am choosing will run okay with a 400watt PSU and still have enough wattage left over to add a discrete RadeonHD 7xxx video card to the system in a few months.

Thanks again for all the advice, if not for your input, I would not have known about the A10 being released so soon and might have purchased the A8 and regretted not getting the extra performance of the A10 and it's more powerful internal video capabilities.

BrianK 
Posted on 2-Oct-2012 19:00:30
#44 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I hope that A10 works out well for you.

As for the 400Watt PSU. Running X264 A10 hit 114 Watts . Not sure your powersupply but most are most efficent at an 80% draw or 320 Watts for you. You are running 1/2 that for the motherboard + APU + Memory. You'll use a bit more for the HDD (5-9Watts) and the DVD (not sure). But, certainly not 200Watts more for those items. I'd think you're safe at least until you look at the vide card.

Gigabyte should be a good choice. My last 3 DIY computers were Gigs and they are all running still. Of course it is new so it's hard to say. ASUS was good, had a rough spot, and appear to be back in the last few years.

You are welcome.

Last edited by BrianK on 02-Oct-2012 at 07:01 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 3-Oct-2012 13:54:57
#45 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Windows 8 pricing
Seems that Microsoft will have a $39.99 upgrade from WinXP pricing for Windows8. And perhaps a $69.99 full Windows8 until Feb 2013. I know Windows8 isn't well tested for gaming. But, also you said you were trying to save money. On the conservative money side since you have XP you might go with the Win8 upgrade for $40.

Though I still strongly recommend Win7 64bit, even with it's ~$130-$180 price. It's a known quantity at this point and will definitely work for you.

Just wanted to share another option that looks available by the end of Oct.

Korni 
Posted on 3-Oct-2012 17:58:09
#46 ]

@amigadave

Noone mentioned it yet - do not forget about cooling. I guess you have a case which you want to use with your new build. Install at least an exhaust fan in back of the case. Heatsinks supplied with AMD/Intel CPUs are very lowend. They can keep temperature but they are loud as fuck at high CPU usage (imagine a vacum cleaner sound now :D) . My $16 heatsink/fan combo provides a better cooling even with a mild 20% OC.

Last edited by Korni on 03-Oct-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Last edited by Korni on 03-Oct-2012 at 05:59 PM.

amigadave 
Posted on 3-Oct-2012 18:17:31
#47 ]

@Korni

Quote:

Korni wrote:
@amigadave

Noone mentioned it yet - do not forget about cooling. I guess you have a case which you want to use with your new build. Install at least an exhaust fan in back of the case. Heatsinks supplied with AMD/Intel CPUs are very lowend. They can keep temperature but they are loud as fuck at high CPU usage (imagine a vacum cleaner sound now :D) . My $16 heatsink/fan combo provides a better cooling even with a mild 20% OC.

Thanks for the advice. I think we will use the stock heat sink and cooling fan for now and look at other options if we decide to do any over-clocking in the future.

Korni 
Posted on 3-Oct-2012 18:34:54
#48 ]

@amigadave

It's more for the sake of peace than overclocking, do as you wish anyway :).

BrianK 
Posted on 3-Oct-2012 18:45:01
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Korni

AMD Stock fan is 40-47dB according to LINK audible and certainly an aftermarket can improve that.

amigadave 
Posted on 3-Oct-2012 19:08:36
#50 ]

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Korni

AMD Stock fan is 40-47dB according to LINK audible and certainly an aftermarket can improve that.

I won't hear a thing from my house in Southern California, since my youngest Son lives approx. 650 to 700 miles North from here. I will pass on the tip to him, so if he is bothered by the noise level, he can think about getting an after-market heat sink & cooling fan.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 4-Oct-2012 0:24:05
#51 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

The "problem" with going the a10 route is that youve then pushed up into i3 and even lower spec i5 price range, especially with the newer fm2 mobos being a little more expensive than thier socket1155 equivalents.

For $360 you could get an i5-3330/3450/3470, mobo, 8gig ddr3-2133, and a 2gig saphire 6570.

(prices obtained from msy.com.au)

Rose 
Posted on 4-Oct-2012 1:01:14
#52 ]
Cult Member

Pirating seems to be ok on amigaworld as long it's one of moderators in need. What ever bullshit you have told here there isn't "trial version" of Windos 7. How about cutting out the middle man and straight as links to pages that give you activation hack.

Moderator note:
No, pirating isn't OK. We have peoiple suggesting it, just like we always have people suggesting ripping ADF file or ROM images. We can't stop people doing it in their own homes. Besides, I'm willing to bet that Dave has several legal copies of Windows littering his house. I know I have legal install disks for about 8 versions of Win98, 6 for XP, 2 for Vista and 5 for Windows7.

Last edited by Darrin on 06-Oct-2012 at 04:31 PM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 4-Oct-2012 2:09:36
#53 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

I have a corsair h60 water cooler on my CPU. It keeps the temp around 35-40 degrees Celsius at full load without an overclock. With an overclock I am looking at 55-60 depending on whats happening and ambient temp. Thats on a AMD fx-6100 6 core at 4ghz. However I have reduced that back to stock speeds as Battlefield 3 made the system far too unstable at that clock speed. I think I need a better PSU before I attempt that again lol.

Last edited by CritAnime on 04-Oct-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Last edited by CritAnime on 04-Oct-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Last edited by CritAnime on 04-Oct-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 4-Oct-2012 5:02:38
#54 ]
Cult Member

@Rose:

It doesn't state it is trial. If you buy (or are going to buy) Windows or Microsoft Office then, out of the virtual box, you've got 30 days to activate. If you've got the installation media you don't need a key to install the OS. The installation procedure allows for entering a key after installation. So it's legal to install without activating right away.

Extending the period to 120 days is a bit shady but it doesn't mean that you have to seriously hack into Windows. You don't need dark third party software, the tools are in the OS, you'll only have to know how to use them. No matter if there's a grace period of 30, 60, 90 or 120 days (180 days was possible back in the XP time), at the end you still need to activate.

If poking the registry is pirating in your book then let me inform you that there's even the valid way of getting a 90 day evaluation version via Microsoft Technet. All you need to have is a msn, hotmail or live e-mail adres and a free registration to Microsoft Technet. As Amigadave is an Amiga X1000 user I take it that he can be seen as an IT professional. I must admit that I'm not too sure if an evaluation copy can be made into an activated 'use every day until the PC stops functioning version'.

@ Amigadave:
Forgot to mention. If your son is a registered student he might be valid for serious discounts at Microsoft. Here in the Netherlands, a boxed Windows 7 Professional upgrade normally sets one back for €310,-- (official Microsoft Store price). However, as a student you can get an upgrade from XP for just under € 60,--. Again, no pirating, this is via a Microsoft Educational program. Might be worth to search for a similar program in your country.

edit: Rephrased a little.

Last edited by Amiga_3k on 04-Oct-2012 at 05:42 AM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 4-Oct-2012 17:15:42
#55 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

After helping a friend today piece together a cheap pc an option occured to me that Id not considered to suggest. While theyre not made anyore some great value can be had from socket1156 i5's. Today for example we managed to get an i5-750 and motherboard for slightly under $150. Unlike newer i3/i5/i7's the socket 1156 variety can be overclocked still too. Add $50 or so for 8gig ddr3-1600 and it's still only at $200.
Even at stock speeds (2.66ghz) they typically match, or beat any AMD cpu (always exceptions in some tasks of course), and according to most hardware site reviews theyre quite good overclockers (3.4ghz-4ghz on retail pack cooler appears to be pretty usual).

Leaves you with a but more to spend on a gfx card while still saving some money.

Anyway, just thought Id mention it to you. I was pleasantly surprised to get such a reasonable machine for so little (all new as well). The only downside is that cpu upgrade options are a little limited.

BrianK 
Posted on 6-Oct-2012 15:57:00
#56 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Overclocking the A10? 5.1Ghz on Air, 7.3Ghz on Liquid Nitrogen

CritAnime 
Posted on 6-Oct-2012 17:42:16
#57 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

Hell I will just nip down to the hospitals gas bank and get myself a few liters of the stuff lol. That's a crazy speed though just on air cooling. I do wonder how stable it is though. It might boot windows but I doubt it would be stable on games or high demanding programs. A stress test would show some interesting results. I pushed my fx-6100 to 4.1ghz on a closed loop liquid cooler but stability is not very good.

CritAnime 
Posted on 6-Oct-2012 17:43:24
#58 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

Hell I will just nip down to the hospitals gas bank and get myself a few liters of the stuff lol. That's a crazy speed though just on air cooling. I do wonder how stable it is though. It might boot windows but I doubt it would be stable on games or high demanding programs. A stress test would show some interesting results. I pushed my fx-6100 to 4.1ghz on a closed loop liquid cooler but stability is not very good.

Rob 
Posted on 6-Oct-2012 19:29:58
#59 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
I hope the components I am choosing will run okay with a 400watt PSU and still have enough wattage left over to add a discrete RadeonHD 7xxx video card to the system in a few months.

I ran an Intel E2160 (65 Watt) and a Radeon 4670 ( 70 watt) setup on a 200 watt power supply for quite a number of years without any stability problems. According to my power meter wall wart it never exceeded 150 watt and idled at less than 100.

The box for the 4670 recommends using at least a 400 watt PSU and my previous 2400 had a recommendation of 300 watt . I suspect that manufactures load a system up with as much hardware as possible in order to create a worst case scenario.

Frags 
Posted on 6-Oct-2012 20:04:45
#60 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

I rather imagine that they are accounting for the optimistic power figures the PSU manufacturers quote, rather than the other way around.

For example, I have a home cinema amp that quotes 100W RMS / channel (that`s six channels remember) and is class AB. It gets very hot indeed at maximum output using pink noise and has a 3A fuse (230VAC) in the plug which did not blow during that test. Work that one out.

- insert profound text here -

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle