Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  53 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Troels 
Re: AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 21:48:56
#101 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK
Quote:
When Hyperion crew is silent, no one can troll with what they say. But if they say something, especially those who never use AmigaOS-NG come in shouting about every miss spelled word etc...

So what? Why should Hyperion care what the trolls say. Hyperion should care for their costumers not for someone who is out of reach anyway.

It's 2012 and Hyperion have ways to communicate that they can control 100% themselves, but we don't see it very often.

Quote:
Then those who would like to get at least some info will end up getting nothing.
Sad but true.

Quote:
-"Netbook project is ongoin", that's something. -"they are interested in collaboration with others", thats's something very nice to hear -etc...

Sure it's not bad news at all. Actually it's hardly news, is it???

Profile     Report this post  
natamix 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 21:52:18
#102 ]

@Overflow
Yes, the OS is more important.
I meant powerful games (for those who are trained Hyperion) to attract more people to the platform.
Is requested to increase the number of users AmigaOS and games might help. My question is if Hyperion can not have a small team dedicated to games maybe

Arko 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 22:47:09
#103 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
@Arko

Have you not seen the trend?

Yes

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 22:57:57
#104 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I try to judge them not by words but by what they do. Perhaps Steve can answer officially. When it is correct then he asked how Hyperion would benefit from real collaboration with f.e. Aros. Very simple, on one hand the platform would faster move and Hyperion would not waste rare ressources by reinventing every wheel.

My idea was that the Amiga platforms should have a common open codebase (Opensource) that should be used by all platforms. That should include the system including libraries, devices, all what is driver related like USB and PCI. Aros would be a great base for that. Aros would of course stay Opensource but f.e. AmigaOS could add own components and request money for it. All would have advantages, the code base would advance (even faster than now) and f.e. Hyperion would profit from every improvement that is done. And it could support different platforms. Of course that is not a one-way road, it means not only using code but also giving back. Of course I do not know if there are technical or legal issues but I (still) think it would be a good idea. Not a "unification" in the sense of one OS but at least it would improve the situation for all. And f.e. every software that is ported to the platform would run on all platforms (as long as there are no special APIs used).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 25-Oct-2012 at 10:58 PM.

PR 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 23:10:47
#105 ]

I'll be off for a while and then see if the same chittering is going on or is there anything real going on. Please Surprise me!

A Really bored fan.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 23:14:09
#106 ]
Elite Member

@PR

And what is your contribution?

eliyahu 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 23:16:49
#107 ]

@PR

i'll put it another way: what is that you are looking for on modern amiga systems that is not currently available? what specifically do you want given the limitations of the size of our community, available development resources, and the fact that amiga computing is now a dedicated hobby rather than a commercial market?

-- eliyahu

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 23:21:03
#108 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Perhaps I see it wrong but there are (too) many who "expect" something but do not want invest themselves. And I do not mean buying OS updates but investing time in it. On Aros I know a lot of people who do and there are of course people on other platforms too but people like "PR" are only expecting.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 23:22:46
#109 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Steve Solie if you read this please look at my idea and think about it. And I would really be happy if you could answer my question.

eliyahu 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 23:28:02
#110 ]

@OlafS25

fair enough. i certainly understand your point. i think the difference is that while AROS is very much in the free software world philosophically and otherwise, AOS/MOS are not. they are commercial products so customers have a different mindset. the fact that AROS is open to anyone who wants to change things is its biggest 'selling' point in my view.

that said i sometimes find folks who want to be able to do this and that with their amigas, assume they can't, and get frustrated. there were a bunch of folks at the show that were surprised what they could do with amiga NG machines -- they never did the research and just assumed they couldn't use their phones, or work with word documents, or watch streaming video, or ....

that's why i always ask what folks think they're missing. most of the time what they think they're missing is actually possible. i'm curious if @PR is frustrated about something we can't change, something we can change, or something that exists but he doesn't realize it.

-- eliyahu

sundown 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 23:28:59
#111 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

You might want to repeat the question to be answered by him.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 23:35:50
#112 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

I understand it, people "pay" for it so they expect a complete product. But what people seem to forget is that all amiga-platforms are "hobby-projects". With "hobby" I mean a development that does not earn enough money to pay developer fulltime for it. Even at AmigaOS is in my view (I have no evidence) noone working fulltime anymore (perhaps a couple of years ago but not today). So all projects live of the support of the community. All companies left are small so we should not expect too much (and the companies should not create too high expectations themselves). I would even say that there are right now more people working on Aros than on AOS or MOS. The question is can the others "jump over their shadow" or not. When not they will harm themselves in my view.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Oct-2012 23:38:42
#113 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Very simple. Having a open codebase for all platforms with a common infrastructure including driver support with "AmigaOS" additions like own GUI and other components. MOS used parts of Aros code and is still "commercial" so both would be possible. What he thinks of the idea.

ssolie 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 0:04:17
#114 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk
Quote:
eally thats not my impression, happy to discuss though see what kind of collaboration, my confusion is on the "We are".

I think that is a pretty low blow. Not a great way to establish trust.

ssolie 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 0:07:09
#115 ]
Elite Member

@Arko
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I thought when I read your "Non Offer" ... I'm not the guy who is driving developers away from AOS4.

I'm not talking AmigaOS. I'm talking AmigaOS, MorphOS, AROS and everything else.

I suppose bringing up obsolete roadmaps and delving deep into history for quotations to "prove" that there is hostility somehow helps us keep developers. I also suppose calling every olive branch a "Non Offer" is also rather helpful to get more developers involved. No, these actions invoke hostile reactions which is what I believe you were after.

ssolie 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 0:11:46
#116 ]
Elite Member

@natamix
Quote:
One thing that makes you a platform to grow (like it or not) are the games, to be told to Windows.
So my question for Solie. When Hyperion to make games, ports or original?

This is exactly why Gallium3D was started and why Warp3D is being extended. OS support for games is a focus.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 0:15:47
#117 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Having a open codebase for all platforms with a common infrastructure including driver support with "AmigaOS" additions like own GUI and other components. MOS used parts of Aros code and is still "commercial" so both would be possible.

What do you think of the idea?

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 0:18:05
#118 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

???

wawa 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 1:31:28
#119 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
fair enough. i certainly understand your point. i think the difference is that while AROS is very much in the free software world philosophically and otherwise, AOS/MOS are not. they are commercial products so customers have a different mindset. the fact that AROS is open to anyone who wants to change things is its biggest 'selling' point in my view.

what? whats with philosophy here? either you have to do with commercial enterprise and have usual demands as customer in which case os4 would completely fall through, or you have an open effort. seems the company behind os4 wants to have both, eat the cake and keep it. highly dubious.

wawa 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 1:41:50
#120 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:
I think that is a pretty low blow. Not a great way to establish trust.

so far i know clusteruk is both aros and os4 supporter, aeon customer and he certainly always has tried to speak in favour an popularize both x1k and os4. so whats that about?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle