Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  24 mins ago
 amigang:  50 mins ago
 Tpod:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 MarcioD:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Posted on 28-May-2013 18:46:43
#341 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Sorry then. I must have gotten entirely the wrong impression from Trevor's answer in Micro Mart magazine concerning the Limebook, which is what I specifically mentioned.

Quote:
We think that is far too expensive for such an underpowered machine. We are still considering options, but at the moment we are leaning in another direction altogether."

Last edited by number6 on 28-May-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Comi 
Posted on 28-May-2013 20:30:31
#342 ]
Cult Member

@ssolie

Official? Since when?
On hold? Since when?

vox 
Posted on 31-May-2013 15:46:38
#343 ]
Elite Member

@Comi

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2013-05-00088-EN.html
http://amigaone.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/micro-mart-trevor-dickinson.pdf

Quote:
Dickinson explained that the focus was on the LimeBook - this is the hardware which in 2011 many users thought to be the base for the announced netbook. After a detailed cost analysis it turned out that for 1000 produced netbooks the price of 580 Euro was not realistic. Due to the low power of the computer it was decided to abandon the project and to look for other solutions. In a discussion on amigaworld.net Solie talked for the first time about this project, obviously without having read the article: According to Hyperion the Netbook project is on ice - therefore "nothing has changed

Seems its simply possible, but abandoned as expensive for such underpowered machine.

Again, another possibility to develop OS on new level (for laptop use) but will not reach wider userbase.

pavlor 
Posted on 31-May-2013 16:46:10
#344 ]
Elite Member

@vox

5121e was nice SoC, 6 years ago. 400 MHz e300 is too limited for today uses (internet, movies, games/emulators etc.). I still hope some other notebook design will appear with AmigaOS.

number6 
Posted on 31-May-2013 17:03:47
#345 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Your link to the english translation of the .de article:
http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2013-05-00088-EN.html

AmiWest 2010 direct quote:

"This netbook will be at a price point between 300 and 400 USD.
It will include the OS as well."

The article states 380 Euro which is about 500 USD, so it is clearly wrong.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 31-May-2013 23:58:29
#346 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

The article states 380 Euro which is about 500 USD, so it is clearly wrong.

Thanks, fixed.

Zylesea 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 0:43:10
#347 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
I still hope some other notebook design will appear with AmigaOS.

There's none on the horizon. Only viable path for the next couple of years will be to use Powerbooks or ibooks. These are powerful enough and it's not a problem to support them as was shown by a couple of other OSes not developed/supported by Apple.

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 8:47:20
#348 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
Only viable path for the next couple of years will be to use Powerbooks or ibooks.

6 (and more) years old used hardware? No thanks.

I think I will stay with my 19 years old 486SX.

Zylesea 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 9:39:23
#349 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Well, everyone as him pleases.

/me having fun with my _old_ Amiga laptop sitting on the roof terrace enyoyinga late cup o coffe for breakfast.

Hondo 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 11:54:35
#350 ]

@ssolie and others responsible for the netbook rumour and communication with the amiga community

Quote:
The official word from Hyperion is that the original Netbook project is on hold. Nothing has changed yet.

Making people think that a netbook is coming for so many months, without it materializing, and without any public statements about it too is totally destructive in so many ways. First off you (Hyperion) looses credibility - but way more importantly you also hurt the sales of the SAM boards and the X1000 in that "waiting" period.

When you knew it was a hopeless cause, you should have told us immediately. Why make that silence period so long ? - perhaps quite a big number of potential SAM or X1000 buyers have been postponing their purchases because of this rumour and the long waiting period for info. This whole case has been hurting the "here and now" market quite much i think. A market which really needs all the buyers it can get...here and now - everyday! - ask Acube and A-Eon what they think of this mess. They must be quite angry about this.

You should really do something officially to correct this ASAP - and get people out of the limbo they're in right now. It's also confusing that Trevor now have said something about it in a printed magazine. You guys need to stick your heads together, and in the future make sure you have unified communikation towards the amiga community. That will make sure the same thing is not told in two different ways, by two different parties.

Oh and you are only humans and can therefore make mistakes. Everybody can make a mistake. We can forgive you for that - because you guys are heroes, but not for the silence which is hurting the actual market.

Hondo

Last edited by Hondo on 01-Jun-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Last edited by Hondo on 01-Jun-2013 at 11:55 AM.

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 12:40:44
#351 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:
perhaps quite a big number of potential SAM or X1000 buyers have been postponing their purchases because of this rumour

I really doubt any prospective X1000 customer would postpone his purchase in wait for netbook. Myself, I intended to buy both netbook and X1000, but final X1000 price was 50 % higher than my maximal projected budget for this purpose. LimeBook is in another league than X1000 (eg. 5121e is - at best - 6 times slower than single PA6T core).

Rob 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 12:50:25
#352 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
There's none on the horizon. Only viable path for the next couple of years will be to use Powerbooks or ibooks. These are powerful enough and it's not a problem to support them as was shown by a couple of other OSes not developed/supported by Apple.

Whether right or wrong, Hyperion seem to be sticking to the rule of selling only on brand new licensed hardware and supporting the small Amiga dealer ecosystem.

I think we'll only see portable OS4 hardware if A-EON or Acube build it themselves. Best bet would be a board that replaces the logic board in an existing design.

Hondo 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 13:19:25
#353 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
I really doubt any prospective X1000 customer would postpone his purchase in wait for netbook

With the X1000 of course this is true, but you never know with customers. One minut they decide to buy, the next minut they don't - there's no reason making them keep their money in their pockets. It's simply not good business. And who knows if someone wanted an X1000 - but instead turned towards the netbook, and sat down and waited. It's damaging. In the end maybe he ends up being deeply annoyed, gives up the amiga scene, and switch to the Mac or something...you never know.

Comi 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 14:03:10
#354 ]
Cult Member

@Hondo

You are totaly right.
Also, what is Trevor (A-Eon) part in this?
If I remember, SSolie mentioned new company for netbook and new partners for Hyperion and Amiga scene...

Mr SSolie (for my opinion) have no credibility to speak any more for Hyperion, he has a "rabbit" roll in maraton in netbook case
Situation starts to get strange on Amiwest 2012 ..no demo, no even pictures or videos of protype, or OS screenes, just tiny explanation abouth will and plans of parties involved to get quiet and continue work...hm

I know that this is a tiny market evan hardcore fan TrevorD and (A-Eon) delayed sale of X1000 for year or so, but we had have reports, pictures, explanation of progress and problems...
Credibility from past make your responsibility even bigger.. So let's start new way of comunication and respect in Amiga scene.
Good bye Mr SSolie

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 14:08:27
#355 ]
Elite Member

@Comi

Quote:
Good bye Mr SSolie

You are quite harsh towards that man. Did you know that he made most contributions to AmigaOS wiki (among many other things)?

Spirantho 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 14:35:07
#356 ]

I don't see this as being SSolie's fault at all.

We need to remember that development takes time. When Hyperion started work on it they obviously thought it was reasonable to develop for, and that it would cost a reasonable amount. However, a lot can change within the development cycle. In this case, I think the Limebook stopped being produced. That means that it's only available in large quantities or large prices, as a special order item. Of course if they charge too much no-one will buy such an under-powered netbook, and if they place a large order (i.e. 1,000 units) that's an outlay of several hundred thousand units, with no guaranteed return. Obviously, that's not going to happen.

Hence Hyperion were caught between a rock and a hard place. They could deliver the netbook, but at a price no-one would buy, so what's the point?

There was no great conspiracy - it wasn't a load of lies of surreptitious poaching of customers or anything like that - it's just that availability changed, which in turn changed everything.

Luckily we still have netbooks - I'm typing this right now with OWB on my EEE PC 900 with the latest Icaros which supports it beautifully. It's not going to replace my OS4 machines, though - there's room for both :)

kamelito 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 14:56:08
#357 ]
Cult Member

I'm still waiting my 3DO M2 :)

Comi 
Posted on 1-Jun-2013 15:09:37
#358 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:
Credibility from past make your responsibility even bigger.. So let's start new way of comunication and respect in Amiga scene.

Yssing 
Posted on 10-Jun-2013 7:22:45
#359 ]

Well its a shame that its on hold, but I do understand why.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 10-Jun-2013 12:16:11
#360 ]

@Yssing

Quote:
Well its a shame that its on hold, but I do understand why.

I do think that with the passing of Limebook, there is no other viable alternative bar used Macs. A bespoke laptop for such a small market would cost a fortune, both for A-eon/Acube/Hyperion and the buyers. In short, "on hold" is 99,9% cancelled and never to be seen or spoken of again.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle