Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  5 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Vidar:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 Swisso:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Boot_WB 
Re: AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 18:57:55
#41 ]

@ssolie

Quote:
You have a lot of questions.

Not really, only questions for progress on those areas which have been promoted by Hyperion as being 'on the way'.
Btw these aren't 'my questions' as such, just the ones everyone was hoping/expecting to hear news of at Amiwest. It's because I (and they) are interested and have followed Hyperion's announcements in the past. Also, some things (netbook) are overdue and there's been no news.

Quote:
I'm going to answer them all by focusing on releasing working software and new products.

Hmmm. That just means not answering any of my questions, albeit in a nicely worded manner.

Quote:
Project stakeholders control the progress reports, etc. so I can only divulge what I am allowed to.

I really do sympathise with your position in this regard, and respect the fact that you're fielding questions in this thread. It would be nice to get some answers though.

EDIT: Layout

Last edited by Boot_WB on 22-Oct-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 18:58:25
#42 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

id actually prefer to hear it from whom i asked. if we always be stepping up with assumptions rather than waiting for a proper answer we will never get any.

number6 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 19:04:44
#43 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Actually, Steven gave quite a long list of all of his duties followed by the equivalent of what broadblues just told you regarding what he can share.
It was all in the roadmap segment streamed at 1:00 on Saturday.
Perhaps he just needs to repeat it in print then when he gets home.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 19:28:28
#44 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:
@AmigaBlitter Let me make this perfectly clear. There will absolutely without any doubt will be ongoing collaboration with MorphOS and especially AROS. I think it is likely somebody has again taken my comments out of context and/or marched on thinking they know what I think without asking me first. We are wide open to collaboration. Period.

Thank you for the encouraging reply.

Amigo1 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 20:01:39
#45 ]

@ssolie

Thanks for the answer

have a nice trip home

Last edited by Amigo1 on 22-Oct-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Comi 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 22:21:42
#46 ]
Cult Member

@ssolie

One year after announcment company behind netbook project have to be encouraged to give some more info???
Is that company new in Amiga market?
Or that company make some promises before that are not fullfiled?

ssolie 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 22:36:08
#47 ]
Elite Member

@wawa
I don't think you are being honest so I won't be responding to you any further.

ssolie 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 22:39:50
#48 ]
Elite Member

@Comi
Yes, it would have been nice to have more public info on the netbook but I was not provided any. Sorry about that but Hyperion didn't provide me with anything more.

ddni 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 22:52:11
#49 ]
Cult Member

@ssolie

Hi Steven, how does the potential subscription model affect plans for the prepaid 4.2 update for X1000? Has the notional internal release for 4.2 slipped?

Franko 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 23:03:33
#50 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@AmigaBlitter
Let me make this perfectly clear. There will absolutely without any doubt will be ongoing collaboration with MorphOS and especially AROS.

I think it is likely somebody has again taken my comments out of context and/or marched on thinking they know what I think without asking me first.

We are wide open to collaboration. Period.

As the subject was about how could all sides possibly collaborate together and had got onto some people asking why couldn't OS4 be made open source to aid in that collaboration and your reply was basically along the lines of no chance, why would we...

Then quite simply for anyone watching and listening, that all that there is to conclude from what was said, is that it would be very difficult to have a meaningful/ useful "collaboration" when the actual sources for the OS are obviously never going to be shown to anyone...

As there was no way of asking you directly what you really meant by what you said and you made these comments on a live feed then it's fair for people to comment on what you said without having to contact you first...

Just like I also said in that thread, I can see your point saying as to why Hyperion would not release the OS source code to anyone outside the company, it is a business after all and there is obviously a lot of money and time tied up in it but for true collaboration with the all "other sides" then something has to be revealed to them about the OS4 source if you really want faster progress and code that actually works with the system...

Like I say being open to collaboration was not the impression I got from watching the feed and listening to your words and I was not alone in that...

But thank you for taking the time to clear things up...

broadblues 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 23:18:33
#51 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Franko

You make the apparent assumption that collaboration *must* be at the operating system level.

But collaboration could more effective at the application level. Or perhaps in defining mutual standards. Or many others.

AWeb was a very good example of the first. AmigaOS (cheifly myself) and Morphos developers (including Ilkka Lehtoranta and others) cooperated and collaborated to produce a cross platform open source webbroswer, with no acrimony whatsoever.

(as it's you I'm replying too I'd better specify that AmigaOS in this context means all versions from 3.1 to 4.1, although Frank Weber took over maintaing the 68k part in latter months).

wawa 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 23:28:26
#52 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:
I don't think you are being honest so I won't be responding to you any further.

not that i remember you have responded to me in the past, but of us both how can i actually be dishonest if i admittedly am the one, who knows no facts and must relay on assumptions?

whatever the case, good luck with your project and thanks for the effort. honestly.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 23:35:43
#53 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
But collaboration could more effective at the application level. Or perhaps in defining mutual standards. Or many others

for this kind of cooperation we dont need involvement or encouragement of neither hyperion nor any other corresponding entity, and dont need to make any announcements about it. it happens where possible or is refused other places. its entirely in hands of people anyway. however essential collaboration bringing platforms (closer) together would require it being on os level, i assume.

btw do not understand it as a demand. im completely fine with os4 staying closed source if such is its destiny.

Last edited by wawa on 22-Oct-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 22-Oct-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Seiya 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 23:42:20
#54 ]

if gallium exists for real (software mode they said), they must show development progress..
And at Amiwest it was the right place to show a great and importanto project.

Jupp3 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 0:07:35
#55 ]

@Seiya

Quote:
if gallium exists for real (software mode they said), they must show development progress..

They don't "must" do anything.

On the other hand, if they don't, everyone is free to doubt whatever they claim to have done, but don't show.

eliyahu 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 1:05:41
#56 ]

@Seiya

why? why should they bother? if it is finished, they'll show it.

if it isn't they have two options: if they show the current builds, jack***es will b**** and moan about the performance or the completeness of hardware support or whatever despite the fact it is unfinished. and if they don't share anything, they get hammered as well.

honestly no matter what hyperion or AOS developers do a certain subset of amigans -- in many cases ex-amigans in truth -- will twist and contort reality to fit whatever pathetic narrative they've constructed for themselves.

amiwest is a great show because it demonstrates that the type of shmendriks who think moobunny is a font of 'truth' are really the minority. everyone there to a man hates the kind of discourse on these forums. we all want to see it stop. but since it won't, like hyperion, i'm planning on ignoring the complaints of the usual suspects around here because no matter what happens -- even if X1000s were handed out for free and 10,000s of new amigans joined our community and ben hermans discovered a cure for cancer -- they'll find something to complain about.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 23-Oct-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Franko 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 1:54:10
#57 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:

amiwest is a great show because it demonstrates that the type of shmendriks who think moobunny is a font of 'truth' are really the minority. everyone there to a man hates the kind of discourse on these forums. we all want to see it stop. but since it won't, like hyperion, i'm planning on ignoring the complaints of the usual suspects around here because no matter what happens -- even if X1000s were handed out for free and 10,000s of new amigans joined our community and ben hermans discovered a cure for cancer -- they'll find something to complain about.

-- eliyahu

It's human nature, just because one person likes one thing thing more than another it doesn't mean to say or in any way mean that the person who likes it more is entitled to voice his positive opinion and the other person in not entitled to voice (in the view of the other's) a negative opinion...

If that was the case everything in life would be simply wonderful and nothing would ever change or progress if we we're all content and happy already with every single thing in out lives...

You could hand out all you want of anything for free, that doesn't automatically make it good or that everyone would be happy with it or appreciate it...

Heck I'll guarantee you if someone did find the cure for cancer there would be plenty of people that wouldn't be happy with it mainly governments, for the simple fact that cancer in the modern world helps to a degree to keep down the size of the population and just imagine what all those people whom would have died of cancer but didn't would cause to the economy as they live longer and become a growing burden in paying out pensions and giving them even more healthcare in their old age... That is something I was told a long time ago by very well known and prominent (at the time) British politician & government minister...

It's life, make the best of it and accept it cos no matter how great it may be if we all could somehow agree on everything it will simply never happen...

wawa 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 2:07:54
#58 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
even if X1000s were handed out for free and 10,000s of new amigans joined our community and ben hermans discovered a cure for cancer -- they'll find something to complain about.

you may have just hit the nail. so under current circumstances youd prefer us though to behave as if X1000s were handed out for free and 10,000s of new amigans joined our community and ben hermans discovered a cure for cancer (of which nothing alas is the case) rather than commenting on occurrences we actually witness? come on.. i remember on other subjects (just to mention aladdin development) you were a little more down to earth. how comes?

KimmoK 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 7:22:24
#59 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Thanks for clarifications.

Too bad that PR policy is so tight.
Especially now when previously estimated timeframes (for netbook etc.) have not been met, it would be nice to get more real info.
A lot of people are hoping to see some Gallium3D and SMP demos, to be able to rest assured that things are proceeding.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Arko 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 22:49:20
#60 ]

@SSolie
Quote:

We are wide open to collaboration. Period.

Well this means you are not collaborating now.

Off Topic comments removed from post by moderator, let us all try to stay "ON Topic"

Last edited by amigadave on 25-Oct-2012 at 07:39 AM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle