Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 OlafS25:  5 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  9 mins ago
 MickJT:  28 mins ago
 A1200:  51 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  My side of what happened with Raspberry Pi
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: My side of what happened with Raspberry Pi
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 22:43:12
#61 ]
Elite Member

@redfox

I can only assume that they see the "look and feel" of AmigaOS as the selling point (reason why people buy AmigaOS at all, what some told me in the past). So a distribution based on opensource and free of charge, looking and (partly) feeling like their OS running on cheap hardware is seen as threat. I personally do not think that they would have won or lost much when Steve had used the icons, at best he would have promoted AmigaOS and (perhaps) some would have been interested despite the high cost. The idea is still good and there are already versions running so it will happen anyway.

Profile     Report this post  
In_Correct 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 23:38:28
#62 ]

@clusturuk

I hope you do not give up permanently.

I am also confused and I am not sure how AROS differs from Linux. I see lots of devices sold bundled with Linux and I am not sure why AROS can't be bundled with a Raspberry Pi. Android (a Linux) is included with numerous devices and I remember some computers somewhere being sold included with Linux. (Perhaps it is those Computer In A Stick things, and those Parallella devices)

Proposing a complete Raspberry Pi system that resembles a vintage Amiga is rushing things. First be sure that Raspberry Pi Foundation adopts AROS and I guess you and Raspberry Pi could design complete systems together, without any connection to AmigaOS or vintage Amiga.

All of the AmigaOSs including AROS and its distros speaks for themselves. Don't try too hard to promote. Promotions and Adverts are all lies anyways, aren't they? They are all great OSs and I want to say that all the AmigaOSs developers teams are working much harder than any mainstream computer company!

People that purchase a Raspberry Pi are going to install whatever on them and even if you don't proceed there will be people that will install AROS on Raspberry Pi anyways. And then people will figure out for themselves about the existence of AmigaOS and MorphOS. It is quite obvious. In any "About AROS" information that I read, they always say it is a relative of AmigaOS.

AmigaOS = MorphOS = AROS = RISC OS

ChrisH 
Posted on 29-Oct-2012 9:26:06
#63 ]
Elite Member

I find it sad that no-one posting here is apparently able to guess what Hyperion's perfectly reasonable position might have been on the use of OS4 icons & other copyrighted images:

Even *if* he only used a "few" OS4 icons (and I can't see the video to check that), the problem is that people might take it as Hyperion being OK with copying anything from OS4 (esp icons & theme images). At the very least, it is the start of on a slippery slope where allowing a little bit of copying might legally be seen as setting a precedent. I can appreciate that Hyperion would simply not want to go anywhere near there, to avoid any possible legal problem. (This is my speculation, but seems very plausible to me.)

I'm sure that Steve Jones only had good intentions on the use of OS4 icons, but I'm also surprised he didn't realise it would likely be a problem.

clusteruk 
Posted on 29-Oct-2012 9:26:52
#64 ]

My last comment on this.

This video was a private video created in JULY to be seen by a dozen or so people to check out the Aros on Pi for opinions on functionality, and also to gauge reaction to my idea of adding icons to act as an advertising promotion to the raspberry pi community (approaching a million users and fans). Purely to show what Amiga was like today and then give them an option of having it for free with Aros on other platforms or maybe later buying the AmigaOS4 netbook in the nearish future (X1000 a bit expensive but cool). The reaction in JULY within the private group was forget the icons, so I had agreed in JULY to forget the icons.

With issues around my problems with Hyperion I lost interest in all aspects of Amiga for a while and shelved this project. My issues with Hyperion are private and not as bad as some people may think with there XFiles hats on. It was just a matter of diference of opinion on how the future should be and nothing else.

I admit Steve Sollie angered me with his outing of this private work, concentrating, not on the fact that we have Aros on all platforms and Aros can be a way of getting old and newer Amigan's into the community by advertising this way, but on the fact I used similar icons which could have been selected as a theme instead of the default just to show people how it can look with various Amiga flavours. By the way Icons are not a GUI.

So I will take a break for a while, then I will come back stronger than ever with something to promote Aros as what Amiga is all about, I will still always let people know our history via the Classic community and the amazing and forward thinking MorphOS, I will even mention AmigaOS4, but my interest is in the future of the Amiga and not the past and always has been.

While I am away I will be playing more with Aros 68k, which I believe is the future for all Classic fans that want to update their beautiful machines in the coming years, after all who can afford a PPC card to run OS4 if there are any available. Come on Jens, any chance of a card for my A3000

Note to developers, nothing in any of this has anything to do with developers I deal with, I love what you all do and respect you all greatly. I just have a problem with people who run the Amiga ever since since Kieron Sumner (Commodore Management) invited me into his office in Maidenhead to pronounce that he and commodore were going to destroy my company (Checkmate Digital) for having the audacity to make the Checkmate Amiga 1500 before them, some things never change.

I have to say my one true love is Aros and always will be. It is the future of the Amiga as we are truly supporting 68k users more each day, we run on all platforms, we probably have more developers now and we are free from the kind of control which stagnates the kind of future that most people want.

See you soon.

Steve

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Oct-2012 9:34:01
#65 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Chris please read what he wrote first before posting. Even Solie did not write that. He did not copy "original" icons but used icons in the style of OS4 with permission of the creators. So from legal side I think it was perfectly ok. We know your view on this already and in this thread a lot of people already said that Steve should drop OS4 and forget the idea to promote it this way.

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Oct-2012 9:37:12
#66 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

Nice to have you in the 68k team in future

(it is now Jason, Toni, Wawa (testing on real hardware) and me)

clusteruk 
Posted on 29-Oct-2012 9:41:46
#67 ]

@OlafS25

Time for an updated Aros68k video, as I feel invigorated again.

Any way did I ever leave Aros

Last edited by clusteruk on 29-Oct-2012 at 09:42 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 29-Oct-2012 11:22:02
#68 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

ermm.. im not exactly on any team. im just testing as time allows. and there are other testers or aros68k users also on real hardware so far i can tell. not many but few i have heard from.

amigang 
Posted on 29-Oct-2012 11:59:53
#69 ]
Elite Member

My view is that its 50/50 I can see why Hyperion got a bit worried and maybe over protective and I can see why ClusterUk is a bit dis-hardened with the reaction he got for his efforts.

I just hope that this doesn't create more of a rift in the Amiga scene between the different camps, lesson can and should be learned from this, the community is getting too small to really fight between our self and we could really do with more projects that could befit the whole community.

wawa 
Posted on 30-Oct-2012 3:45:31
#70 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

i agree. enough damage s been done.

klx300r 
Posted on 1-Nov-2012 4:44:00
#71 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

amigang wrote:
My view is that its 50/50 I can see why Hyperion got a bit worried and maybe over protective and I can see why ClusterUk is a bit dis-hardened with the reaction he got for his efforts.

I just hope that this doesn't create more of a rift in the Amiga scene between the different camps, lesson can and should be learned from this, the community is getting too small to really fight between our self and we could really do with more projects that could befit the whole community.

sing it again brother

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

KimmoK 
Posted on 1-Nov-2012 8:41:08
#72 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

"I feel invigorated again"

Very nice to hear!

The BAD PR -department of Hyperion "just" flexed it's muscles.
Better ignore that.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 1-Nov-2012 8:59:00
#73 ]

@clusteruk

Hello! Do you have any projected date (even a rough guess) when we will be able to download/install/test your AROS distro for Pi? I know I might have asked several times but I truly believe that AROS might have a future on similar devices, plus I was one of the first to join your FB group :P

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle