Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Birbo:  5 mins ago
 amigakit:  13 mins ago
 kolla:  46 mins ago
 Beajar:  53 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  3 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Windows 8
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
g01df1sh 
Windows 8
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 15:38:12
#1 ]

Hi All

Long time since I have posted but after using Windows 8 at work on a clients pc. I can say it has to be the worst user interface I have ever had to use. There is still hope for Amiga flavors of operating system to return yet if this is the best Microsoft can come up with.

Hands up who likes Windows 8

mine is not up and never will be.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
Metalheart 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 15:59:28
#2 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

I indeed wonder what road OS's of the future will take.

I for one, can't imagine a differnet UI then the one we all use today, and touchscreen for tablets, altough I think they are horrible...

my 2 ects...

Martin

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Akiko 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 16:29:16
#3 ]
Cult Member

It's Microsoft's attempt at being cool and they have failed dismally.

CD32/ FMV Module

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 16:35:20
#4 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@g01df1sh

It's a Micro$oft tradition. Release a decent OS, then follow it up with the worst pile of excrement they can possibly make. This makes the next decent OS look amazingly fantastic instead of just decent.

Google Translate

Franko 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 16:42:21
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Metalheart

Quote:

Metalheart wrote:
@g01df1sh

I indeed wonder what road OS's of the future will take.
Martin

I've read quite a few articles recently that according to some Apples release of Mountain Lion will be the last "desktop style" OS they will ever create as the trend pushes towards "touch screen" based OS's and OS's designed for handheld portable devices...

Such style OS's may well be fine for those who do use portable devices but they are pretty useless for those who prefer the "old style" desktop environments, that are more powerful, configurable, and simply a necessity when it come to productive software/ uses for proper computing tasks (ie: everything other than the internet)...

Glad I use the Amiga for computing tasks and have all the software I need already for those tasks and am not reliant on using something like a Mac for computing tasks, which if you want to keep using the latest software often means you have to upgrade to the latest OS and indeed sometimes hardware....

If your'e a desktop computer user the future looks pretty grim (well for Microsoft & Apple users) as they continue to move towards OS's designed for portable devices, with all that touchscreen nonsense and gimmicks and reliance on being connected to the net just to even use your computer. Such OS designs are simply are not usable nor productive in a desktop environment....

A look at all the changes being made all over the net shows this Google, YouTube, eBay etc... everything is being geared towards portable devices as the powers that be push everything in the direction of simply being usable on portable devices and the OS's follow suit...

Stick with yer miggies it's the only OS that makes sense for actual computing tasks and leave Widows & OSX for simply brwosing the net...

ChrisH 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 17:15:43
#6 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh
I personally recommend that people buy a Windows 8 upgrade (from Win XP/Vista/7) while it is going very cheap (£25 or even £15 - until end of January 2013)... but don't actually install it!

Just leave it on the shelf for when Microsoft release the next major update to Windows 8, where they will hopefully fix all the stupid things they did in the rush to release it (ala Vista). I had thought this would be Service Pack 1 (or possibly 2), but it now looks like "Windows Blue" project MAY mean that Windows 9 will be released in (say) another year.

Lou 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 17:46:28
#7 ]
Elite Member

I think forcing these crap "portable-device interfaces onto a desktop" situations is the proverbial 'foot in the door' that will allow an 'old-school' OS like 'Amiga' to make a comeback and appeal to the geek community (which is much bigger than it used to be).

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 18:21:26
#8 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Lou

Realistically, people would then be turning to Linux. It hasn't any of the hardware restrictions Amiga has and is very affordable.

A lot of developers are being scared off of the direction M$ seem to be heading regarding "signed apps" as it hints at a future where all PC software will require the same process as XBox software currently does.

Valve are now beginning to list Linux compatibility in games that are supported in the Steam system requirements and have recently announce they are working on hardware of their own (A media centre PC). Linux looks like it might become the new OS of choice for the gamer.

Google Translate

thinkchip 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 18:43:59
#9 ]

@g01df1sh

I haven't used it but I've seen pictures. From a distance it looks like they're trying for a scalable interface that will work on any device. In the process, they've dumbed Windows down to phone level. It seems like it would actually make it harder to use.

On the other hand, the "old school" always hates radical changes whether they're good or bad.

Kicko 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 18:53:09
#10 ]
Elite Member

I was in town trying out one laptop (no touch) and there was win8 on it. I tried some demo mode and didnt know how to get back. So i tried the menu key which worked. The pad alike part looks nice if you want it to use as a touchpad but im a desktop guy so i moved on to normal windows look. There were no start button ??? So i really didnt know how to find what apps i could start etc. I lost interest and went on checking out new LCD tv'a and such :)

But sure i played with it more and learn how to i would probably like it, i would probably install some 3rd party app to get startbutton back. I dont know it didnt felt good. However i like that you can choose to switch between screens as future i would probably buy a laptop with touch screen feature.

Zylesea 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 18:53:31
#11 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

Quote:

thinkchip wrote:
@g01df1sh

I haven't used it but I've seen pictures. From a distance it looks like they're trying for a scalable interface that will work on any device. In the process, they've dumbed Windows down to phone level.

Which is okay for quite a lot of basic stuff. If you actually want to work just press Win+D and you're on the Win7 style desktop. I think the only fail MS did wth W8 is that the desktop version must start with the Metro interface and cannot be set to start the normal desktop by default. But it's just pressing two keys away.

hotrod 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 20:23:07
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

I read a tip that you can move the Desktop box to the top left to make it the first default choice and once you've logged in you only need to hit Enter to get to the desktop.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 20:36:24
#13 ]
Cult Member

Not only is it useful to be able to switch back to the desktop, it is needed as well. No matter how much the gurus hate Flash, it's rather difficult browsing the web when Flash is not available. So, when you've got Windows 8 installed it doesn't take long before you've opened IE 10 in desktop mode (not that it would allow Flash in my trials) or before you've got Google's Chrome installed.

But I can't see why this way of computing won't be a success in the future. It took some time for people to realize that a mouse was actually a very useful device to control the computer. It will take some time to get people touching. But in the end, we probably will and when done right... we probably won't miss the thing either. How many of you miss the function keys? Or the weird key-combinations from the pre-mouse age?

Franko 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 20:57:43
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Amiga_3k

Quote:

Amiga_3k wrote:

But I can't see why this way of computing won't be a success in the future.

Speaking for myself I'd say not a chance...

Somehow don't see using touchscreens to write code as being more productive let alone usable the mouse is probably the greatest ever input device ever invented for navigating around a computer screen, imagine sitting there at your desktop computer for hours with your arm outstretched to the screen just to do anything with a touchscreen, don't think that would be very comfortable somehow...

PS: I would miss the mouse but happily that aint gonna change on my Amiga, and function keys and "weird" key-combinations are fine by me...

ara 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 22:26:53
#15 ]

I find it amazing how fast Windows 8 is. For example:
Windows Vista on my 4 years old laptop needed 5 seconds just to show the "Windows is loading" screen (from hybernation). On the same laptop, again from hybernation, W8 shows the login screen after 5 seconds and two or three seconds later (including the time you need to type the password and click on the desktop tile) you are on the desktop with a working network connection.
It's even more amazing when you consider that it has to load two GUIs (ex-Metro and classic).

CritAnime 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 22:38:53
#16 ]
Cult Member

I tried Windows 8. I managed to use the Developers edition, which anyone can download free for 60 days only before it completely stops working, and I hated it. I removed it within 3 hours and I felt better for it. Made me appreciate Windows 7 a hell of a lot more and thats saying something as I only use it because I have to for games. I am sad I like to play Flight Sim X lol.

I don't like this idea of touchy, feel, soft around the edges thing for a desktop. A desktop to me is all about getting the job done. I don't get why I should have to get rid of my perfectly fine equipment and buy some rubbish in order to get the "best experience" out of the OS. If I have to do that then the experience just isn't there no matter how much they claim it is.

I have not spent the last however many years with a mouse and keyboard and a desktop layout that works for someone to suddenly turn round and tell me that it's all wrong and this is the new way. So glad I do my day to day computing in Linux. So much happier with OpenBox as the window manager.

end of rant lol.

Last edited by CritAnime on 13-Dec-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

In_Correct 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 22:44:00
#17 ]

Actually I can't get enough of function keys and key combinations. For me it is faster than dragging a pesky mouse arrow back and forth.

On the other hand I prefer a mouse instead of touch screen and and I can't imagine using a Tablet without an external keyboard and mouse.

@Franko

having to "reach your arm out across a desk":

In this case, using a tablet like a desktop could be made more comfortable by using an advanced tablet that has capability to support external monitor, perhaps by using a wireless connection. what is being displayed on the external monitor that is different than what is being displayed on the tablet. The tablet internal screen displays a Tablet GUI while the external monitor displays a Desktop GUI.

( also, while using my BlackBerry phone, I end up always switching to the "Desktop" layout of every website )

Like I said before, you can connect an external keyboard and external mouse to tablet (this feature already exists for basic tablets.)

and if you used the touch screen on the tablet, it would function similar to an additional desktop input device similar to keyboard and mouse. While still having an external monitor plugged into it, a "desktop" tablet would resemble a classic Commodore and classic Amiga, because both at one time existed as a keyboard computer. If the original Commodore still existed, I believe that they'd have invented the tablet (and would have made it better such as designing tablets to be more compatible with desktops instead of the Main Stream trying to make desktops more compatible with tablets.)

(Also, I am still fantasizing about someday RIM can take over Amiga Inc. and then work with AmigaOS/MorphOS/AROS Development Teams, as well as POWER and ARM hardware development teams. If a BlackBerry product line had desktops, they would resemble Amigas, and if an Amiga OS made for a mobile device, it would resemble a BlackBerry. )

However, despite the idiotic Microsoft and the idiotic Apple, people are also idiotic. There has always been fools, but the human population has increased. and that includes the population of stupid people. They don't know what device and OS using, and are dumb enough to buy anything, from any company. If a large amount of people weren't so incredibly silly, then they could just take a breath and stop and think and then they would start purchasing an AmigaOS computer, an AmigaOS clone, or a spin off Amiga OS and the user base would increase. (software should increase also)

but otherwise as long as people are extremely dumb, they are still going to be lining the pockets of the Microsoft and the Apple. (and also using the mainstream Linux such as Ubuntu, Mint, and Android)

I might not be Correct. so I will do research to see what the widespread reception is like towards the Windows 8 and making it similar to a tablet. I am thinking that most people would be indifferent.

Last edited by In_Correct on 13-Dec-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Last edited by In_Correct on 13-Dec-2012 at 10:45 PM.

AmigaOS = MorphOS = AROS = RISC OS

NovaCoder 
Posted on 13-Dec-2012 23:29:55
#18 ]

Who can say Vista?

In every review of Windows 8 that I've read, they all say the same thing. The Metro interface needs a touch screen, the desktop interface needs a keyboard and mouse but mixing the two together is a disaster.

While we are on the subject has anyone else noticed that the new Windows 8 tablets are actually..........laptops?

Last edited by NovaCoder on 13-Dec-2012 at 11:30 PM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 0:42:49
#19 ]
Cult Member

@NovaCoder

You mean those incredibly clumsy hybrid things. Then yes I tried one called a yoga and I wanted to throw it through a wall I was that frustrated with it.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Moxee 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 1:17:11
#20 ]
Team Member

@thread

Quote:

imagine sitting there at your desktop computer for hours with your arm outstretched to the screen just to do anything with a touchscreen, don't think that would be very comfortable somehow...

Just imagine sitting that close to your monitor for hours too. I sit almost 2 arm lengths away from a large monitor and don't want to get closer. I don't need more eye strain, my eyes are bad enough already.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle