Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
5850 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
Home
Features
News
Forums
Classifieds
Links
Downloads
Extras
OS4 Zone
IRC Network
AmigaWorld Radio
Newsfeed
Top Members
Amiga Dealers
Information
About Us
FAQs
Advertise
Polls
Terms of Service
Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 18 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.



You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bison:  26 mins ago
 kolla:  30 mins ago
 Rob:  38 mins ago
 Hammer:  45 mins ago
 portarinos:  56 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 amipal:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 bennymee:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 outrun1978:  2 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Windows 8
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
persia 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 20-Jan-2013 23:17:54
#141 ]
Super Member
Joined: 14-Jul-2009
Posts: 1059
From: Unknown

@agami

Microsoft always does better when they buy something. Microsoft Messenger was a horrid product, they bought Skype and suddenly they have global dominance in the messenger world.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
agami 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 20-Jan-2013 23:30:26
#142 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 30-Jun-2008
Posts: 573
From: Melbourne, Australia

@Franko

Quote:
Simple fact is... over 98% of all money given charitably worldwide is given by your average member of the public...


14.5% of people know that 72.83% of all statistical claims are made up.

The truth is, the lion's share of the charitable funds raised worldwide comes from philanthropists and corporations.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
DiscreetFX 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 4-May-2013 22:50:09
#143 ]
Super Member
Joined: 12-Feb-2003
Posts: 1899
From: Chicago, IL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC4IDJrzOQ0&feature=youtu.be

_________________
Sent from my Quantum Computer.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
DiscreetFX 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 6-May-2013 21:56:56
#144 ]
Super Member
Joined: 12-Feb-2003
Posts: 1899
From: Chicago, IL

Windows 8 Is Failing and It's Your Fault!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pouEAMNfUcY

_________________
Sent from my Quantum Computer.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Fairdinkem 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 2:00:04
#145 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 23-Feb-2010
Posts: 489
From: Victoria, Australia

@DiscreetFX

I think this explains why Windows 8 is the tragedy it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpwKiRKmZc

_________________
Pegasos 2 G4 - AmigaOS 4.1 FE / MorphOS 3.6

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Amiga_3k 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 6:00:48
#146 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 17-Jun-2006
Posts: 818
From: Assen, Nederland

@Fairdinkem

And I feel that Windows 8 really isn't as bad as lots of people tend to believe (it's just a revision bump over Windows 7). It's different, it takes about a day or two to get used to, another day or two to not really wanting to go back. That is, for the non RT version (the one with the Desktop functionallity). I got the hang of it once I started to look at the Metro interface as being just a full-screen start-menu with active icons.

_________________
Back home...

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Fairdinkem 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 7:17:16
#147 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 23-Feb-2010
Posts: 489
From: Victoria, Australia

@Amiga_3k

I see where you are coming from, however Metro full screen apps suck a whole lot because they defeat the one thing users want, and Amiga fans hold dear and that is multitasking especially windowed multitasking.

Sure I could download an app and hack a start button into windows 8 which will make it like windows 7. However if Metroview apps become the norm, which I suspect they will with Steve Baulmer (Developers, developers, developers) at the helm, then I am back to square one with stupid full screen metro apps that give me the user no choice how I see and use the app!

_________________
Pegasos 2 G4 - AmigaOS 4.1 FE / MorphOS 3.6

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Leo 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 7:53:52
#148 ]
Super Member
Joined: 21-Aug-2003
Posts: 1596
From: Unknown

It "failed"... Yet it sold more copies in a few months than Amiga were sold during its whole lifetime: 100 millions...

Saying crap about Windows, intel, whatever won't change that...

_________________
http://www.warpdesign.fr/

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Fairdinkem 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 8:08:51
#149 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 23-Feb-2010
Posts: 489
From: Victoria, Australia

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
It "failed"... Yet it sold more copies in a few months than Amiga were sold during its whole lifetime: 100 millions...

Saying crap about Windows, intel, whatever won't change that...


Ummmm wow what a revelation that is.... Of course it would have, IBM compatibles were in more abundance back in Amiga's peak, and they are in even more abundance now.... So of course it would sell in greater numbers now that is a given, so what is your point because it bears no relevance on this topic?

_________________
Pegasos 2 G4 - AmigaOS 4.1 FE / MorphOS 3.6

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Leo 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 8:17:46
#150 ]
Super Member
Joined: 21-Aug-2003
Posts: 1596
From: Unknown

Quote:

So of course it would sell in greater numbers now that is a given, so what is your point because it bears no relevance on this topic?

My point is that criticizing Windows (and mostly its UI) while the Amiga's UI hasn't changed for 3 decades and still come with limitations that you had when working on TV sets with 2:1 ratio, 4 colours is quite funny... Especially when Microsoft dared changing its whole UI.

I'd rather see criticism of the Amiga's UI and how to improve/change it for this new mobile/touch/whatever will come later world would be far more interesting...

Last edited by Leo on 07-May-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Last edited by Leo on 07-May-2013 at 08:18 AM.

_________________
http://www.warpdesign.fr/

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Nibunnoichi 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 9:33:54
#151 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 18-Nov-2004
Posts: 958
From: Roma + Lecco, Italia

@Fairdinkem

Quote:

Fairdinkem wrote:
@Amiga_3k
I see where you are coming from, however Metro full screen apps suck a whole lot because they defeat the one thing users want, and Amiga fans hold dear and that is multitasking especially windowed multitasking.

Uhm? It doesn't defeat anything, for example you can launch the "Music" app from Metro and switch back to desktop while it still keeps playing. And while you're in Metro, desktop programs continue to work as always.

_________________
Proud Amigan since 1987
Owner of various Commodore and a SAM440ep\OS4.1FE
See them on http://retro.furinkan.org/

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
DC_Edge 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 9:34:02
#152 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 1-Oct-2003
Posts: 183
From: France

@Leo

+1000

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
DC_Edge 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 9:36:53
#153 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 1-Oct-2003
Posts: 183
From: France

@Nibunnoichi

I am running actually skype in metro mode, in screen number 2, while I am (screen 1) prototyping a GUi, while downloading some iso from microsoft technet website, while there is a virtual machine running a little web server, while browing amigaworld.net....

All this under win8.

Where is the problem with multitasking?

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Nibunnoichi 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 10:31:29
#154 ]
Cult Member
Joined: 18-Nov-2004
Posts: 958
From: Roma + Lecco, Italia

@DC_Edge

Quote:

DC_Edge wrote:
@Nibunnoichi
All this under win8.
Where is the problem with multitasking?

I have no problems i was replying to some inaccurate statements since page 2 i think

_________________
Proud Amigan since 1987
Owner of various Commodore and a SAM440ep\OS4.1FE
See them on http://retro.furinkan.org/

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
elwood 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 11:09:07
#155 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 17-Sep-2003
Posts: 3425
From: Lyon, France

@Thread

Install http://www.classicshell.net/ and everything is nice again

_________________
Philippe 'Elwood' Ferrucci
Sam460 1.10 Ghz
AmigaOS 4 betatester
Amiga Translator Organisation

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
jkirk 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 11:15:31
#156 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 28-Jan-2005
Posts: 3348
From: Georgia (usa)

@elwood

the start button may make a comeback.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/windows-blue-may-restore-desktop-start-button-microsofts-hopes

_________________
Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Fairdinkem 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 11:37:40
#157 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 23-Feb-2010
Posts: 489
From: Victoria, Australia

@elwood

Yes as I mentioned I could install the smart button again with such a program which is what i'll do if I install Windows 8.

_________________
Pegasos 2 G4 - AmigaOS 4.1 FE / MorphOS 3.6

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Fairdinkem 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 11:46:25
#158 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 23-Feb-2010
Posts: 489
From: Victoria, Australia

@Nibunnoichi

Quote:

Nibunnoichi wrote:
@Fairdinkem

Quote:

Fairdinkem wrote:
@Amiga_3k
I see where you are coming from, however Metro full screen apps suck a whole lot because they defeat the one thing users want, and Amiga fans hold dear and that is multitasking especially windowed multitasking.

Uhm? It doesn't defeat anything, for example you can launch the "Music" app from Metro and switch back to desktop while it still keeps playing. And while you're in Metro, desktop programs continue to work as always.



You missed my point about Metro's full screen issue however I cant be bothered with reiterating my point, other than to say I installed windows 8 awhile back, hated it then deleted it. Windows 8 has failed to launch because it misses a whole heap of fundamentals illustrated quite plainly in the video I linked.

I have no doubt Steve Baulmer and the gang will continue to push the Metro UI with a few tweaks to try and fix the mess they have created for themselves. And that mess thy have to fix is to try and make Metro more desktop friendly for non touch screens!

_________________
Pegasos 2 G4 - AmigaOS 4.1 FE / MorphOS 3.6

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
persia 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 11:48:54
#159 ]
Super Member
Joined: 14-Jul-2009
Posts: 1059
From: Unknown

@Fairdinkem

"Metro" hasn't been used by Microsoft in almost a year. There's no such thing as Metro apps. The apps are Windows 8 app. That being said, the Windows 8 apps suck....

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Fairdinkem 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 7-May-2013 12:00:14
#160 ]
Regular Member
Joined: 23-Feb-2010
Posts: 489
From: Victoria, Australia

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@Fairdinkem

"Metro" hasn't been used by Microsoft in almost a year. There's no such thing as Metro apps. The apps are Windows 8 app. That being said, the Windows 8 apps suck....


They may have renamed it but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Those full screen only Windows 8 apps that you buy or get for free from there Microsoft online store suck purely because you can not run them windowed on the desktop.

I agree with you they suck and allot of other people also think so like the OEM partners of Microsoft because there sales have taken a hit.

_________________
Pegasos 2 G4 - AmigaOS 4.1 FE / MorphOS 3.6

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle