Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  59 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 Tpod:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 Birbo:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Windows 8
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisH 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 13:18:21
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Metalheart Quote:
There must be something good about this, or else a big company like MS wouldnt design it like this.....

They design it like this simple because they are trying to force their way into the Tablet & Smart Phone markets, after having previously failed with Windows Phone 7.x. Their thinking seems to be that if people are familiar with the Metro interface on their desktop & laptop PCs (which everyone will buy no matter how rubbish they are), then they will be more likely to buy a Windows tablet or smart phone.

What they may not count on is that people hating Windows 8 desktop & laptop PCs causes them to avoid Windows 8 tablets & smartphones even more. But at this stage Microsoft doesn't really have anything to loose (everybody wants Android or iOS devices, and rhetoric aside Windows Phone 7.x has been a huge failure.)

Tablet & Smart Phone sales are going through the roof. While desktop & laptop PC sales are stagant for years, and potentially in decline with Tablets/etc replacing PCs in usage. If Microsoft doesn't do something drastic, they will be sidelined in what will eventually become an unimportant & dead-end market.

Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Dec-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 13:20:23
#42 ]
Elite Member

@agami Quote:
All those complaining about Windows 8, or the touch interface, or the modal nature of the today's computing paradigm, you're all officially Old Farts.

No, it's just trying to force a touch interface onto a non-touch device doesn't work very well, and is actually very clumsy in many situations. (Although I think a few minor tweaks would actually make Windows 8 much much better on the desktop.)

The Metro interface should be great on a tablet... just not on a desktop/laptop PC.

Plus Windows 8 Metro apps don't actually seem to multitask. If I get bored waiting for one app to finish downloading content, and switch to another app, when I later switch back to the first app it has not finished downloading the content, but rather has either gone back to it's previous state or has been killed entirely & so acts as if I just started it. Ridiculous on a *desktop* PC with 8GB of RAM & multiple cores.

Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Dec-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Dec-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 13:22:37
#43 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:

agami wrote:
@Franko

And talk about not checking yourself before wrecking yourself

I can only conclude that you are talking about yourself there...

Quote:
That's every computing system ever manufactured. Or are you running the latest version of Blender on your Amiga 1000 with OS 1.2?

What's "Blender" and why would I be running it (let alone the latest version if there is one) ???

If it was running on my old A1000 under OS1.2 then I simply wouldn't know as you'd have to ask the person I sold it to some 20 odd years ago...

Just to prove you are wrong, then how come I didn't need to upgrade the OS on my A1200 to use the very latest releases of at least 60% of the software that I use or indeed, do I have to upgrade the OS to use most of the latest software from Aminet should I wish to use them - Answer = NO...

Suggest you follow your own "advice" about checking things first before posting nonsense...

Franko 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 13:34:41
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Nibunnoichi

Quote:

Nibunnoichi wrote:

Every big company out there is moving towards integration between devices and Microsoft is just doing what 99% people ask for

Quite an exaggeration there eh... 99% of people ask for such crap eh...

You might want to take a look around for and see just how many folk for example slated Apple for their Lion & Mountain Lion OS and wanted to go back to Snow Leopard..

Or even Microsoft, cos if 99% of people really were asking for Windows 8 then how do you account for all the people in this thread and all over the net saying it is rubbish, pretty certain they amount to a lot more than 1%...

Your claim of 99% of people asking for such things is as totally wrong just as when someone claims or says "we all use the internet" or "we all own a mobile phone"...

terminills 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 13:58:25
#45 ]
AROS Core Developer

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
I like tablets and touch interfaces when done right. I have owned the original iPad for years.

I find the ipad which I own BTW to be the most shit tablet I've ever used. Apps are flaky, the interface is clumsy and the tablet itself is not stable at all.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

BrianK 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 14:25:56
#46 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

I'm with you. Having used an iPad I'm not all that impressed. It's boxy interface reminds me of a touch Windows 98. I feel confined by not having a full desktop experience. Yeah there's 500K apps of which 450K are crap. Apple assumes the iPad is always right and replaces stuff. Sometimes when you're 5 words down the line so it's not always noticed. Win8's autocorrect is hands down superior.

I have a SurfaceRT and Win8 and I like that approach better. Whenever possible I stay in the touch interface. Though the desktop is great to drop into. And I'm not sure what all the fuss is about click the desktop square in the touch interface and you're there. Is that all that different from selecting the blue oval in win7? Not really. I haven't tried it yet but I'd like to try out voice commands instead. Why would one touch their screen at their desk and not just talk to it.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 14:27:41
#47 ]
Cult Member

@Franko

Quote:

Franko wrote:
@Nibunnoichi
Every big company out there is moving towards integration between devices and Microsoft is just doing what 99% people ask for

Maybe i wasn't clear enough because of english not being my native language... the 99% figure wasn't referred to people asking for W8 but to the fact that the rest of the world is heading towards integration between different devices and easier methods to interact which might go beyond the "classic" WIMP paradigm. Microsoft is not the only one experimenting with things. Hell, even in the Linux world they're trying something new (e.g. Unity).
Is Microsoft stupid? I don't think so, they're just trying to pioneer into something new. Is it wrong per se? No, experimenting is never a bad thing. Would it be a failure? Who knows! (personally i don't think so).

Spirantho 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 14:29:52
#48 ]

A word of advice to anyone wanting to install Win 8 on their PC:

Don't.

Seriously, it's more trouble than it's worth.
I've installed it on three PCs now, of varying ages. Each is a perfectly normal PC - nothing very odd in any of them. The only odd thing is they're a few years old now (still 2.5GHz or so), and one of them is from late 2009 so not even that old. They're all major makes (2x Asus, 1x Abit I think). They all run Win 7 perfectly.

ALL of them failed to install easily. Whether it be bugged drivers, missing drivers (we're not talking obscure hardware, either - I mean things like a SoundBlaster Live!), unhelpful defaults (seriously - disabling Safe Mode unless you boot into Windows first? What were they thinking?!?!?), reliance on signed drivers by force (unless you set a particular mode - which only sometimes works).

The list goes on.

On one machine we have to hold down an F key while it boots. If we don't, we just get a blue screen with a mouse pointer. If we hold down an F key, the startup screen shoots off before it's had a chance to display properly, and lets us log in as normal.

I'm still struggling to install Win 8 on the main (2009) PC. It takes about half an hour to boot, because I have a VIA 6421 card inserted (which, incidentally, has WHQL signed drivers).

This has been the single worst OS installation experience I have ever seen, I think. And I've seen Windows ME.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 14:36:06
#49 ]
Cult Member

@Franko

Blender is a productivity and creative rendering package. It's open source and powerful. Seems that you want to live in the past, and rejecting new technology and i don't care, but you are tiresome repeating the same things over here talking about the magnificent of the classic amiga while you are posting from an imac. It's 2012 now, soon 2013 and technology has changed. It isn't the 80's anymore.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

nikosidis 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 14:39:04
#50 ]
Cult Member

I like windows 8

First of all it is fast and responsive.

It is no reason why you can not use Win. 8 as you always have with windows. You don't have to use Metro.

Sure Metro is more of a cellphone, tablet interface, but why not also have it with your desktop or laptop too. I'm pretty sure many will feel home with it, if they have win. 8 phone etc. I think it is a good thing to have the market place too. Ease and bulletproof to install games apps. whatever comes there. Sure is a good way to waste time, trying all kind of stuff that shows up there ;)

Say what you want, but I think this is a great move from Microsoft. If they have not done something like this they would be dead.

Mircosoft, Apple or whoever don't care much about the advanced users. They are to few.

Last edited by nikosidis on 14-Dec-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 14-Dec-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 15:04:02
#51 ]
Elite Member

@_ThEcRoW

Quote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:
@Franko

Blender is a productivity and creative rendering package. It's open source and powerful.[.quote]
Thank you for that info...

[quote]Seems that you want to live in the past, and rejecting new technology and i don't care,

Nope, I'm firmly in the here and now just because I choose to use older technology doesn't mean to say I'm somehow living in the past...

If you "don't care" then why are you caring enough to even bother to tell me and getting your knickers in a twist over anything I say !!!

Seems an odd way to not care about something...

Quote:
but you are tiresome repeating the same things over here talking about the magnificent of the classic amiga while you are posting from an imac. It's 2012 now, soon 2013 and technology has changed. It isn't the 80's anymore.-

Hmmm... you are a bit of strange one...

If my posts are tiresome and you don't care about what I say in them, then pray tell...

Why do you read them !!!

Why do you reply to them !!!

Why do you go out of your way to tell me how much you supposedly "don't care" what I say in them !!!

What has posting from an iMac on the internet got to do with my Amigas !!!

But thank you for letting me know what year it is, here's me been thinking that this was actually 2012 and whadya know... it is 2012.... well I never... thank you for pointing out the blatantly obvious...

Not the 80's anymore, you really are quite clever eh, did you work that out by yourself or did you get an adult to help...

PS: I eagerly await your next post where you go out of your way to tell me you "don't care" what I say, do or write (again)...

PPS: Technology has indeed changed but that doesn't automatically make it a change for the better...

Last edited by Franko on 14-Dec-2012 at 03:14 PM.

bison 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 16:37:54
#52 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Quote:
I can say it has to be the worst user interface I have ever had to use.

Have you ever tried Ubuntu Unity or Gnome 3 Shell? Windows 8 may indeed be the worst, but I wouldn't pass judgement without trying out the other candidates first.

bison 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 16:57:04
#53 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
All those complaining about Windows 8, or the touch interface, or the modal nature of the today's computing paradigm, you're all officially Old Farts.

It may be the new computing paradigm for those with limited cognitive ability, but anyone who can press two keys at once (alt-tab) probably won't like it.

In_Correct 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 17:48:51
#54 ]

@_ThEcRoW

Quote:
but you [franko] are tiresome repeating the same things over here talking about the magnificent of the classic amiga while you are posting from an imac.

Exactly. and a tablet can have a keyboard and mouse connected to it. getting a stand to leaning the tablet on, or even hanging it on the wall... any tablet would resemble a tiny iMac. because both tablets and iMacs contain computer hardware and a screen combined into one case.

Besides the fact that if a tablet with external keyboard and external mouse connected to it physically resembles a miniature iMac. I can't see how using a tablet is any much different than an iMac with Mac OS X.

Neither of them are anything close to a classic computer GUI and I do not see how an iMac of today is any resemblance at all to a classic Amiga or even a current AmigaOS compatible.

Last edited by In_Correct on 14-Dec-2012 at 05:50 PM.

AmigaOS = MorphOS = AROS = RISC OS

In_Correct 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 17:59:09
#55 ]

@agami

Quote:

[franko:]
latest software often means you have to upgrade to the latest OS and indeed sometimes hardware.

[agami:]
That's every computing system ever manufactured.

But they are getting worse. Computers "don't last as long" as a classic system. Instead of every 4 or 5 years upgrade, it is each year that you have to upgrade. The apparent low quality hardware seems to be intentionally designed to self destruct so you are just about forced to buy another new, and even slimier computer system. with many improvements especially focus on redesigning "Please Wait" and all the other system error messages.

It is 21st century. No more "Please Wait" !

apologies for rant.

Last edited by In_Correct on 14-Dec-2012 at 06:05 PM.

AmigaOS = MorphOS = AROS = RISC OS

Franko 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 18:10:29
#56 ]
Elite Member

@In_Correct

Quote:
Exactly. and a tablet can have a keyboard and mouse connected to it. getting a stand to leaning the tablet on, or even hanging it on the wall... any tablet would resemble a tiny iMac. because both tablets and iMacs contain computer hardware and a screen combined into one case.

Tiny iMac !!! so show me a picture of your 27" tablet you've got nailed to a wall....

Seems an awful lot of bother to go to, buying a stand, buying a keyboard, buying a mouse and buying a bag of nails in case you wanna nail your frankenstien creation to a wall, why not buy an iMac instead and save a lot of hassle...

Quote:
Besides the fact that if a tablet with external keyboard and external mouse connected to it physically resembles a miniature iMac. I can't see how using a tablet is any much different than an iMac with Mac OS X.

I'd love to see one of these "tiny iMacs" of which you speak, not that I would want to use one just curious as to how "tiny" they are...

PS:If you think a tablet with an external keyboard and external mouse physically resembles an iMac, it's time you went to SpecSavers...

Quote:
Neither of them are anything close to a classic computer GUI and I do not see how an iMac of today is any resemblance at all to a classic Amiga or

Personally to me Mac OS X is the closest thing you'll get to the classic Amiga Workbench environment in looks but that's about it, as it's still crap and just like Windows it's only real use is for accessing the internet... best to keep real computing tasks for a real computer like the Amiga...

g01df1sh 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 18:53:31
#57 ]

And yes ubuntu has made a mess of its interface as well. Have now started to look at linux mint.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Franko 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 18:54:53
#58 ]
Elite Member

Oooh... spooky or what... all this talk about "tablets" and I suddenly get an eMail from "Ideal World" about this one...

http://www.idealworld.tv/_266893.aspx?cm_mmc=Email-_-IWTargeted-_-121214_IW_E_O_LE_TE_20121214-_-_blank_&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=121214_IW_E_O_LE_TE_20121214_IWTargeted&utm_source=IW_E_O_LE_TE_20121214&utm_content=_blank_

Methinks they've got my computer bugged and are spying on me...

If that's the case they should be sending me an email about their latest porno video special offers next...

Be careful what you type on the net, they're watching you...

Wol 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 19:01:33
#59 ]

@ChrisH

Well that's one thing any version of winblows has never done ( multitask )..

youuuul sstilllll hhhhavve ttttoo waaaiiiittt aageees ffffor yyyouurrr wwwwinndoow
toooo ooopppeeeen iffff ittt'ssssss dooooooooing sssssssomthing eeelsse.
Annnddddd tthhhee mooouuuussssssee pppoiiiiinttter wwwwiiillllll sssstutteerrrrr
aaaal tttheeeeeeeee tttttimeeeeee.........

Wol.

Moxee 
Posted on 14-Dec-2012 21:08:28
#60 ]
Team Member

@DC_Edge

Quote:

why move to win8?

Indeed, why?

I have a CyborPower i7 with Vista installed. Contrary to all the horror stories about Vista I have not experienced any of them. Neither has any of my local friends who are using Vista. I think there is a lot of hot air being circulated. Use what you like and discard what you don't. It is all personal.

Since I received my X1000 my Vista machine is taking a back seat. I figure I will purchase Windows 7 and keep it on hand for future use when needed.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle