Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 153 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  18 mins ago
 Rob:  33 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  new game-HUENISON-NOW AVAILABLE for AmigaOS 4.1 !
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
saimo 
Re: new game coming soon for AmigaOS 4.1 !
Posted on 29-Jun-2013 21:52:49
#21 ]
Elite Member

@t0lkien

Few words, but very gratifying - thanks!
You'll be pleased to find out that your wallet will barely notice

Profile     Report this post  
t0lkien 
Posted on 29-Jun-2013 22:02:39
#22 ]

Tried the win version....Simply beautiful. I'll buy for sure.

tommysammy 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 5:41:33
#23 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

I don`t find the download link.Maybe i am blind
Can you post it here?

klx300r 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 7:08:25
#24 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

tommysammy wrote:
@saimo

I don`t find the download link.Maybe i am blind
Can you post it here?

It's at the bottom of post #14

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

saimo 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 8:31:19
#25 ]
Elite Member

@tommysammy

Maybe I should have opened another thread (I wanted to avoid pollution for just the demo). Anyway, to answer your question and make it easier for everybody: just surf to the game site at http://www.retream.com/Huenison ;)

@klx300r

Thank you!

saimo 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 11:42:34
#26 ]
Elite Member

OK people, some more information now that the publisher's pages are up...

RGCD announced the release of the demo in style here, including also an interview (pruned of the excessive blabbering) with me. Those who are really curious can read the full version at https://www.facebook.com/notes/huenison/rgcd-interview/384266271694267 ;)
I guess you also would like to know when the game will be released and how much it will be: it should be out in a couple of weeks and, as the shop page indicates, it will be ridiculously inexpensive: just 2.99 GBP

klx300r 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 17:59:00
#27 ]
Elite Member

@ saimo

that's a great price for such a quality game! I hope we can get the custom casing as was offered for BOH & QUOD INIT EXIT

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Lynx 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 18:09:31
#28 ]

@saimo

I've tried the demo (on Windows XP), and...I like this game.
I've always been a sucker for action/puzzle games and this is REALLY a good one. It marvelously crosses the boundary of shoot-them-up, breakout and other genres...I think it could have a great sales potential among shmup enthousiasts because of its attractive scoring system : chains, accuracy percentage, Perfect bonuses...you have to do an interesting compromise between shooting everything as fast as possible to be safe and waiting to have better possibilities : Quickshot, Bravoury...and to optimize your shooting sequence to have less button strokes.
Most of all, this game really has a "perfectly crafted" touch you can be proud of. The graphics are great, with at the same time simplicity yet eye candy yet perfect clarity, all with a very trendy retro-gaming theme...music and sound effects are spot-on too, nice and perfectly suited to the genre and visual style, powerups are well thought (see below for a few suggestions) and difficulty is carefully balanced...Oh, and the manual is fantastic too, stylish, comprehensive, clear...

Okay, let's sort this out now : a few things I feel there could be room for improvement in (to my taste !) :

-Quickshot : 2 seconds to shoot five different colors, and disabled in Wall mode and with all white modes (bricks and beams) ? This is almost undoable...I've played the whole 5 levels at least 20 times and I don't think I ever triggered this. Maybe this should be allowed in more circumstances, or the time should be increased, or this shoud be just "at least 3 different colours"...or maybe all of these, with a variable bonus depending on how well you reach these goals !

-Chameleon : 50 points nominal, 500 at close range, on first shot ? This looks like a lot to me. The Spawn brick does not have this bonus, and it triggers two different blocks...maybe the bonus should be awarded only when the spawned block is destroyed, maybe the Spawn brick should have it too...actually, I think what would be great is a Bravoury awarded for every block destroyed at close range, maybe with a smaller multiplier (2x ?) if with not a Chameleon...

I think these two mods would enhance the dilemna "security vs chaining" by giving more incentive to let the bricks go further down in order to get more points...more challenge for hardcore shooters !

-Eater : not in the demo but again, 4 times in 0.4s? 10 Hz button hitting ? It don't think I can do that.

-I had to swap the "change colour" keys (it's nice you can). Instinctively, since on the screen the cannon does not move but it's the cylinder which rotates, I kept on thinking "left = grab the cylinder by its top and move it to the left" while by default it is "select the color at the left of the current one"...wich is the opposite. I could not get used to this, I wonder what other people prefer ?

-Really minor : At first I did understand that "percentage" was the shooting accuracy. Even in the manual this is not clear, only explicited in the geginning of page 8 ("shooting percentage"). Maybe you should also write "accuracy percentage" on the bonus desciption on page 11...or rename it "Accuracy" everywhere !

-"Only" 25 levels in the full game...we need MOAR

Again, this is really minor and for what my opinion is worth. I would have never written this for a bad or average game, these are just what I find would be the last steps to perfection ! Congrats again for Huenison, you can really be proud of this.

Not saying this is the "Killer app" OS4 was waiting for but...with all respect for the huge effort of all enthousiasts who made games for OS4 before (myself being a programmer, I understand the huge work behind the simplest-looking game) this is the first time I see an OS4 game which not only made me think "oh, if I had an OS4 machine, maybe I'd play this sometimes...for a lack of better" but "hey, I want a machine to play THIS !". The first I could show to a non-Amigan and having a chance to have him/her say "wow...there are great games for this OS..."

Retrogaming is in the air ! Amiga is retrogaming ! We don't need 1000s of 3D "artists" to model even the pubic hairs of the villains in yet another FPS ! 64 colors, 640x480, but above all talented artists and new gaming ideas and we'll rule the world !

saimo 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 19:31:07
#29 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
that's a great price for such a quality game! I hope we can get the custom casing as was offered for BOH & QUOD INIT EXIT

Yes, that is planned as well, and with a nice option too
Here's a snippet from the web shop:

Huenison is currently only available to buy as a download, but there are plans to release a glass-mastered CD version packaged in a DVD case with full colour printed insert and manual. Everyone who purchases the downloadable version will be issued with a £2.99 discount code to put towards purchasing the physical release.

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 19:36:59
#30 ]

@saimo

this is a little odd, but when i try to download the demo archive, the download times out after 20.7MB. no matter what i try, i can't grab the full archive. any ideas?

-- eliyahu

klx300r 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:00:04
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Lynx

well said and +1 I think that with more practice you'll seen see that what you think is impossible is indeed possible while using strategy on your side ;-

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@klx300r

Quote:

Yes, that is planned as well, and with a nice option too
Here's a snippet from the web shop:

Huenison is currently only available to buy as a download, but there are plans to release a glass-mastered CD version packaged in a DVD case with full colour printed insert and manual. Everyone who purchases the downloadable version will be issued with a £2.99 discount code to put towards purchasing the physical release.

this is more good news )

@ eliyahu

funny this happened to me too with Firefox and Timberwolf but downloaded fine with OWB after a few tries..i thought it was a problem on my servers end

Last edited by klx300r on 30-Jun-2013 at 08:00 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:18:56
#32 ]

@klx300r

Quote:
funny this happened to me too with Firefox and Timberwolf but downloaded fine with OWB after a few tries..i thought it was a problem on my servers end

i've tried downloading via OWB, MUI-OWB, ibrowse, netsurf, and timberwolf on my amiga. more than once for each. i've also tried downloading via chromium and firefox on my SUSE machine. no luck with any of these attempts.

maybe i'm just unlucky?

-- eliyahu

saimo 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:21:33
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Lynx

First off, let me say that I'm extremely thankful to you for such a great feedback. I'm almost flattered by all the compliments and it gives me a great joy to know that others enjoy so much my creations.

Quote:
I've tried the demo (on Windows XP), and...I like this game.
I've always been a sucker for action/puzzle games and this is REALLY a good one. It marvelously crosses the boundary of shoot-them-up, breakout and other genres...I think it could have a great sales potential among shmup enthousiasts because of its attractive scoring system : chains, accuracy percentage, Perfect bonuses...you have to do an interesting compromise between shooting everything as fast as possible to be safe and waiting to have better possibilities : Quickshot, Bravoury...and to optimize your shooting sequence to have less button strokes.

You perfectly caught the essential nature of the game. One word that sums everything up could be, as strange as it seems, "strategy". To fully enjoy the game (and make crazy hiscores) one has to master all the aspects and then play the game with a strategic approach.

Quote:
Most of all, this game really has a "perfectly crafted" touch you can be proud of. The graphics are great, with at the same time simplicity yet eye candy yet perfect clarity, all with a very trendy retro-gaming theme...music and sound effects are spot-on too, nice and perfectly suited to the genre and visual style, powerups are well thought (see below for a few suggestions) and difficulty is carefully balanced...Oh, and the manual is fantastic too, stylish, comprehensive, clear...

What a satisfaction that you bothered reading the manual! indeed I put a lot of effort into it (and, well, on paper it looks even better than on screen).

Quote:
Okay, let's sort this out now : a few things I feel there could be room for improvement in (to my taste !) :

Let me say that while I'm very happy to hear your opinion and I'll do my best to answer, at this point the game is not open to any modifications, especially if they are related to the game core - it's going to be released soon, so it's too late for changes. Sorry.

Quote:
-Quickshot : 2 seconds to shoot five different colors, and disabled in Wall mode and with all white modes (bricks and beams) ? This is almost undoable...I've played the whole 5 levels at least 20 times and I don't think I ever triggered this. Maybe this should be allowed in more circumstances, or the time should be increased, or this shoud be just "at least 3 different colours"...or maybe all of these, with a variable bonus depending on how well you reach these goals !

Believe me: it's very doable. After all, you only played the demo for a while, so for sure you can improve your skills a lot. If you think about it, it wouldn't be a good game if one was immediately a master... a great part of the fun is getting better every time

Quote:
-Chameleon : 50 points nominal, 500 at close range, on first shot ? This looks like a lot to me. The Spawn brick does not have this bonus, and it triggers two different blocks...maybe the bonus should be awarded only when the spawned block is destroyed, maybe the Spawn brick should have it too...actually, I think what would be great is a Bravoury awarded for every block destroyed at close range, maybe with a smaller multiplier (2x ?) if with not a Chameleon...

The point is that the chameleon changes type and color, so the chances that one can then successfully destroy the new brick are very few. Moreover, the type could even be a negative one (f.ex. a RAISE brick). The SPAWN brick, instead, generates two bricks of the same color, so it's not that difficult to move left and right and shoot at the new bricks. But I have to say that I had taken in consideration the BRAVERY bonus for the SPAWN bricks as well and that it wasn't an easy choice. Maybe there is no right choice.
As for giving additional points when anyh brick is close, that's not a good option, because it awards who sucks I had taken in cosideration the possibility of assigning the score proportionally to the distance from the top (the closest, the higher), to reward quick and precise shooters, but then I thought that it would be just too much, and went for a simpler solution.

Quote:
-Eater : not in the demo but again, 4 times in 0.4s? 10 Hz button hitting ? It don't think I can do that.

It's a matter of practice: it might sound difficult, but it isn't... and one really has to develop "rapid fire" skills, otherwise he won't be able to finish the game (you have to thank for this Decathlon on the C64).

Quote:
-I had to swap the "change colour" keys (it's nice you can). Instinctively, since on the screen the cannon does not move but it's the cylinder which rotates, I kept on thinking "left = grab the cylinder by its top and move it to the left" while by default it is "select the color at the left of the current one"...wich is the opposite. I could not get used to this, I wonder what other people prefer ?

I think that this is very subjective. Anyway, as you said, it's not that important given that all the controls can be redefined.
However, you just made me notice that the manual gets the directions wrong: fixed now. Thanks!

Quote:
-Really minor : At first I did understand that "percentage" was the shooting accuracy. Even in the manual this is not clear, only explicited in the geginning of page 8 ("shooting percentage"). Maybe you should also write "accuracy percentage" on the bonus desciption on page 11...or rename it "Accuracy" everywhere !

There's a reason that's hard to imagine.
You probably have noticed that the scrolltext is the same as the manual. Now, I had to write the text taking into account the formatting of both documents. At the same time, I had to be clear, concise, exact and consistent in style. You can be sure that it's been a hard challenge. One of the choices was to use long "compound names" only on their first occurrence, and then use the simplified form everywhere else. Anything else would screw everything up.
Additionally, I went for "percentage" and not "accuracy" (although I admit that the latter sounds better) because it also gives an idea of the scale used (one immediately realizes that we're talking of values between 0 and 100, whereas accuracy doesn't suggesdt anything in that regard).

Quote:
-"Only" 25 levels in the full game...we need MOAR

Don't think that the next 20 levels are as easy as the first 5

Quote:
Again, this is really minor and for what my opinion is worth. I would have never written this for a bad or average game, these are just what I find would be the last steps to perfection ! Congrats again for Huenison, you can really be proud of this.

Not saying this is the "Killer app" OS4 was waiting for but...with all respect for the huge effort of all enthousiasts who made games for OS4 before (myself being a programmer, I understand the huge work behind the simplest-looking game) this is the first time I see an OS4 game which not only made me think "oh, if I had an OS4 machine, maybe I'd play this sometimes...for a lack of better" but "hey, I want a machine to play THIS !". The first I could show to a non-Amigan and having a chance to have him/her say "wow...there are great games for this OS..."

I must admit I would have never thought that somebody would say this (I don't think so myself!). It's a great pleasure to hear it, thanks a lot.

Quote:
Retrogaming is in the air ! Amiga is retrogaming ! We don't need 1000s of 3D "artists" to model even the pubic hairs of the villains in yet another FPS ! 64 colors, 640x480, but above all talented artists and new gaming ideas and we'll rule the world !

He he he
Huenison is rather neo-retro than true-retro, but, yes, definitely retro...
(I'm not adding more onlybecause otherwise we'd go OT and because, unfortunately, I have very little spare time.)

saimo 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:25:56
#34 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@klx300r

Quote:

i've tried downloading via OWB, MUI-OWB, ibrowse, netsurf, and timberwolf on my amiga. more than once for each. i've also tried downloading via chromium and firefox on my SUSE machine. no luck with any of these attempts.

maybe i'm just unlucky?

This quite weird and, being no server specialist, I can't quite figure out where the problem is (I was just as puzzled when klx300r reported it)
What is the reported total length? Do you use download managers?
I'll look into it ASAP.

EDIT: can you try again now? I made a small change (I'm all but sure it makes any difference, but anyway).

Last edited by saimo on 30-Jun-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 30-Jun-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 30-Jun-2013 at 08:26 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:34:37
#35 ]

@saimo

Quote:
This quite weird and, being no server specialist, I can't quite figure out where the problem is (I was just as puzzled when klx300r reported it)
What is the reported total length? Do you use download managers?
I'll look into it ASAP.

it seems to stop consistently at 20,772,376 bytes for some reason. i don't use third-party download managers, but if one is part of a browser -- such as MUI-OWB or timberwolf -- it gets used automatically. the only thing i haven't tried is wget, so i'll try that now.

just very excited to play this game; i've been looking forward to it every since i saw the first screenshot!

update #1: wget also has the issue of the download halting prematurely.
update #2: tried OWB and MUI-OWB again as requested. still stopping at the same point as before. i know some folks have been able to download since they've given feedback above. could someone try again and see if you can download the whole archive again? saimo: does your server using some sort of caching mechanism, perhaps?

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 30-Jun-2013 at 08:43 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:41:21
#36 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Can you try it again now, please?
Also, I meant the target size: what does the browser say?

klx300r 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:44:19
#37 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@eliyahu

Can you try it again now, please?
Also, I meant the target size: what does the browser say?

finally working here now via Firefox on my pc

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

saimo 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:45:46
#38 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
finally working here now via Firefox on my pc

Now, this gives me hope!

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:47:09
#39 ]

@saimo

according to the server the archive size is 28,861,675 bytes in total. i'm also trying the URL provided via PM. i'll update this post when i have any new results. thanks for your help!

update: the URL provided via PM worked! i have the manual up in amipdf right now. tried the link off of the main page again, still times out at the same point as before.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 30-Jun-2013 at 08:51 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 20:55:38
#40 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
according to the server the archive size is 28,861,675 bytes in total.

This is correct.

Quote:
i'm also trying the URL provided via PM. i'll update this post when i have any new results. thanks for your help!

update: the URL provided via PM worked! i have the manual up in amipdf right now.

Great - and you're welcome.

Quote:
tried the link off of the main page again, still times out at the same point as before.

Very strange. I'll check with somebody more knowledgeable than me.
Thanks for reporting.

EDIT: I've made another change: can you please try again?

Last edited by saimo on 30-Jun-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle