Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ktadd:  9 mins ago
 kriz:  9 mins ago
 matthey:  21 mins ago
 Rob:  23 mins ago
 kiFla:  52 mins ago
 zipper:  53 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  UltimatePPC - year after
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: UltimatePPC - year after
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 3:30:35
#101 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
No doubt by masses, less likely by Classic users. In other words people would buy it as cute Mac like PC dubbed "Amiga" more then because initial link back. If they did A500/A1200 case, that might change the situation, like C64x was relatively praised. However, even if they lasted longer with no pricing policy change, I doubt much success.

as you say yourself c64x was quite smart move, i suppose it could be booted either directly into emulation or into linux, something like aeros (aros/linux combo) or os4 (with linux emulation, amicygnix, whatever it is called, or double boot os4/linux) attempt to.besides why do you want to tell us "classic" users, what we would accept or not? time would tell.

Quote:
Well loyalty in emotional sense, not as given order, must-do, and so on. Informed decision, like I am perfectly aware what I am going to buy, instead of suggested MacPro. So I swap emotional value and support to Hyperion/A-EON over highly productive and fancy product. Who knows in 5 years I might change mind again if they don`t do 4.2, OO, TW

you mix up loyalty to people for moral, humanly reasons, which is of course in many causes a positive thing (even if it may be misused and/or unhealthy) with self imposed loyalty towards trade marks, which is outright stupid. if there is anything applicable to amiga, this is no loyalty but sentiment.

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 3:45:57
#102 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
as you say yourself c64x was quite smart move, i suppose it could be booted either directly into emulation or into linux, something like aeros (aros/linux combo) or os4 (with linux emulation, amicygnix, whatever it is called, or double boot os4/linux) attempt to.besides why do you want to tell us "classic" users, what we would accept or not? time would tell.

Well, even with their last choice,COS Vision, they failed to deliver emulation out of box. So they could do a smarter thing and have ordinary Ubuntu and yes, straight-to-emulation modes for sake of C64/Amiga lovers. Well it was probed for 2 years and maybe its my side of coin, but at least on these boards I have seen more people I respect shunning it then praising and foolish justification that it is more then it is. Especially messing with community ending laughing at everyones nose and feeling US superior.

Looking at their fb page, they have got 33 000 likes, but you know these net times ... its easy to get likes, not customers. If they had half customers they would probably be doing well.

Quote:
you mix up loyalty to people for moral, humanly reasons, which is of course in many causes a positive thing (even if it may be misused and/or unhealthy) with self imposed loyalty towards trade marks, which is outright stupid. if there is anything applicable to amiga, this is no loyalty but sentiment.

You are somehow right, somehow wrong. I support the cause to bring the new hardware avail and OS forward having in mind it will not happen if what is offered is not purchased. Somehow feeling that this is kind of break off point were AOS can become modern and feature rich, or equally possible die out. Well, it was constantly in crisis, but looks like there is parth forward again after many, many years in dark, thanks equally to Acube and A-EON.

Apple surely can survive without my support

I generally tend not to be in affair with things as they tend to destruct over time. But with Amiga, its an exception. In the world were very few OSs (OK, if we count Linux as one) are developed, I am proud to say AmigaOS is in development (and MOS / AROS too) and to say there are my 2 cents in supporting that cause.

wawa 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 4:12:43
#103 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Looking at their fb page, they have got 33 000 likes, but you know these net times ... its easy to get likes, not customers. If they had half customers they would probably be doing well.

have you seen how much "likes" os4 fb page got? i just looked. more than 15 times less.. how do you think translates that to customers, doing well and the like?

Quote:
I support the cause to bring the new hardware avail and OS forward having in mind it will not happen if what is offered is not purchased. Somehow feeling that this is kind of break off point were AOS can become modern and feature rich, or equally possible die out. Well, it was constantly in crisis, but looks like there is parth forward again after many, many years in dark, thanks equally to Acube and A-EON.

thats your good right, im not going to talk you out of it even though i dont see why this time it is any more special or being a break off point than say two years ago or five years ago. its your interest, your money and your risk.

vox 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 4:21:47
#104 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
have you seen how much "likes" os4 fb page got? i just looked. more than 15 times less.. how do you think translates that to customers, doing well and the like?

Well, less coverage by mainstream media is main reason. Sadly (to me) fake Amigas got more attention then (to me) real ones. And somehow I do (wrongly) believe, those who know and like OS4 page are mostly its users. How does come its not the same rule? Well, CUSA pretends to be CBM and that holds bigger emotional value to make people like it. As well as product was more mainstream.

Quote:
thats your good right, im not going to talk you out of it even though i dont see why this time it is any more special or being a break off point than say two years ago or five years ago. its your interest, your money and your risk.

Latest updates have given it to more mature feeling, like MOS had its breaking point with 2.x version. To OS4 that would be OS 4.2. Communication, beta testers and OS website went on. Situation has not extremely changed, just got some sense of direction, even painfully slow in progress. I like the risk and even small market ability to test and use almost anything made for AmigaOS. On Win and Linux I do tend just to stick to what I know.

But we have gone ways ahead of UltimatePPC. Lets stop it here, have a nice day.
And maybe let people continue about FPGA 68k, PPC addons to Classics.

cdimauro 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 6:41:27
#105 ]
Elite Member

Sorry for the OT, but I must give some answers here.
Quote:
OlafS25 wrote:
@pavlor

the hardware is for industrie, no "retro-hardware". If it will become a amiga or not will depend on one or more people doing VHDL to transform it.

Exactly.
Quote:

tlosm wrote:
@pavlor

problem of tyna is only one ... trolling ...
Some one in that team think like this:" i can do better of acube"

OK, now you should give a link and quote this guy, or you are a public liar which is infamating our team.

And if you're a lair, as you are, I hope that moderators will take actions against you.
Quote:
... but do better is not only write some news and some picture on a website but make the fact , the fact is acube made something and continue making something new.

That doesn't mean that we aren't working.
Quote:
... hope soon will see if the tyna team will made something running and working or will be only the last troll action of someone that we know really good in the italian amiga scene.

Quote:
tlosm wrote:
@OlafS25

sorry but i dint understand what the tyna team is selling ? vapor ?

We have started the projects a FEW months later, and we don't have magic wands, sorry.

And you are so interested about the project that you don't even know what's its name...
Quote:
pavlor wrote:
@tlosm

Quote:
Ebook "Amiga from tecnology to a religion"

Ami4be, if my memory serves me right. I don´t think he has anything common with TiNA (or anything else usefull). He and vox in one room, that could be interesting.

The only thing that Amig4be has done with TiNA is criticizing it any time...

vox 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 6:50:28
#106 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
The only thing that Amig4be has done with TiNA is criticizing it any time...

Thanks for update. Wish you a success at least of Minimig attitude.
If it surpasses Minimig at about same price, I am intersted. Would like
to give my friend who has got A500 first, new one since it died long time ago.

Sad to hear Fake Amigan is now down to attacking 68k development.
I always through he dislikes just the PPC path. Seems everything is a cult
beside cult of his own, left without guru and karma.

cdimauro 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 7:02:08
#107 ]
Elite Member

I (we) decided to just ignore this guy.

TiNA, however, can't have same price of Minimig, since the board is much more complex and carries many goodies (3 FPGAs with a lot of resource).

We think that final price will be arount 300€. If you look at what you bring at home, it's a low price (the crude hardware cost, circa). That's because the interest about TiNA is not to make money from it. It was born as a board that the company will use for its own business, but that will be sold to amigans too for their pleisure and passion...

vox 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 7:15:53
#108 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
TiNA, however, can't have same price of Minimig, since the board is much more complex and carries many goodies (3 FPGAs with a lot of resource). We think that final price will be arount 300€. If you look at what you bring at home, it's a low price (the crude hardware cost, circa). That's because the interest about TiNA is not to make money from it. It was born as a board that the company will use for its own business, but that will be sold to amigans too for their pleisure and passion...

Hmmm ... then its competative to FPGA Arcade. Sorry I missed the early info, will it be up to 020/AGA? That would be a pure jpy and yet if it would be easier to configure then FPGA, would be soo nice ... Well, try to profit a bit, never hurts.

Wish I could ignore the guy at the time

cdimauro 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 7:35:16
#109 ]
Elite Member

I think that the small profit will only be to cover the RMA / warranty (e.g. board support).

Regarding 020 / AGA, I want to be honest: it largely depends on the help of the community. The board will be available ASAP the PCB is fully working, with the Minimig (68000 and ECS) adapted, since it's the only VHDL source available.

020 / AGA and the SuperAmiga / NeoAmiga (I like the latter) are books that need to be written yet...

Last edited by cdimauro on 19-Jun-2013 at 07:35 AM.

vox 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 8:39:58
#110 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

OK 68k and ECS. Faster then 7Mhz I hope, CHIP/FAST?

wawa 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 9:58:58
#111 ]
Elite Member

@vox
Quote:
If it surpasses Minimig at about same price, I am intersted. Would like to give my friend who has got A500 first, new one since it died long time ago.

perhaps fpgaarcade:
http://www.fpgaarcade.com/

chameleon:
http://www.vesalia.de/d_chameleon.htm

mist:
http://www.harbaum.org/till/mist/index.shtml
http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

or any of these projects:

http://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2013-06-00039-EN.html

is interesting for you.

matthey 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 18:34:54
#112 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:
Regarding 020 / AGA, I want to be honest: it largely depends on the help of the community. The board will be available ASAP the PCB is fully working, with the Minimig (68000 and ECS) adapted, since it's the only VHDL source available.

020 / AGA and the SuperAmiga / NeoAmiga (I like the latter) are books that need to be written yet...

The 020 version of the TG68 is currently available. I'm looking at the VHDL source. The 020 support looks mostly complete (more complete than the N68050). Let me know if you can't find it. I have not found the AGA chipset VHDL anywhere that the fpga Arcade uses although it should be released because of the license of the MiniMig core which it was based on and what Mike has said.

Edit: Here is a recent 2013 version of the 020 TG68 on the Mist site:

http://code.google.com/p/mist-board/source/browse/trunk/cores/mist/

Last edited by matthey on 19-Jun-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Last edited by matthey on 19-Jun-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Last edited by matthey on 19-Jun-2013 at 06:35 PM.

amigadave 
Posted on 19-Jun-2013 21:38:22
#113 ]

@matthey

I thought that MikeJ said his sources did not have any connection to the MiniMig code??? I thought he wrote his code from scratch and was working with one or two other people on the 68k emulation code?

Can anyone verify my memory of this with a link to something MikeJ has written?

amitv 
Posted on 2-Dec-2014 16:57:03
#114 ]

News?????

kamelito 
Posted on 2-Dec-2014 19:10:23
#115 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

No link but I remember it, it was Jim Drew who wrote that at least the part I read.
Kamelito

Comi 
Posted on 9-Sep-2019 21:14:35
#116 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
Update September 5th, 2019
About 7 years ago Gideon and I reconnected and kicked off this great adventure to build cool new hardware for the Amiga. We vowed to be better than all the other vaporware in the amiga history and create something cool. Unfortunately I failed. At the time of creating the prototype (which stirred a lot of comments on nearly everything) I got a new job that consumed all of my available time and some things happened in my personal life that upset nearly everything. Gideon plowed along on the design and PCBs but I was not able to support him on that, and the software part (my part) stalled, and then stopped. I always thought I would revisit the project at some point - but to be honest, I'd rather spend some time with Gideon as a friend - talk about life and our challenges in it - I've not been very good at that in the last years With all the new cool stuff coming out by Lukas now (check out the awesome ZZ9000) I'm officially declaring the UltimatePPC the best project ever that did not make it past the prototype phase. I'll see what I can and will do with the boards we have, maybe they will go to Folkert for the future Amiga museum. As for all the other work, it might end up in another project someday. Who knows. Now I want to go back to being an Amiga-enthusiast and being Gideon's friend. Feel free to reach out! BR, Rutger

A-Eon or other Amiga company (Elbox, A Cube,..) can contact them and consider relese, upgrade...

amigadave 
Posted on 10-Sep-2019 0:29:29
#117 ]

@kamelito

Quote:

kamelito wrote:
@amigadave

No link but I remember it, it was Jim Drew who wrote that at least the part I read.
Kamelito

Thanks for the reply, but IIRC;

Jim Drew became aware of the FPGA Arcade Replay long after Mike J. created it So, although Jim Drew might have done some coding work on recent drivers for the Arcade Replay, I don't believe that he did any of the early work, and that most, if not all of that work was done by Mike J. himself, unless he was using someone else's 68k emulation code. I seem to remember that Mike J. was proud of his own work on the 68k emulation part, and believed that it could be optimized further, to create a faster Amiga implementation. Not sure if it was just 68000 emulation/implementation, or if it included 68020, 68030, 68040, or 68060 instructions. I would guess that it was straight 68000, or 68020, which could be run at close to 100MHz speed, or faster, on the FPGA that the Arcade Replay uses.

It's been a long time since I have played with my FPGA Arcade Replay board, but I still have hopes that Mike J. will begin selling the add-on daughter boards with the 68060 socket, more RAM, and an Ethernet port (maybe one or two USB ports as well, I have forgotten all the specs for the daughter board). I think it is a shame that the few people creating FPGA boards don't work together on certain parts that could be shared between the many different boards produced, instead of each doing so much work separately, and wasting time by such duplication of efforts.

I'll have to do some research to see what's new regarding the Arcade Replay, and when (if ever) the daughter board is going to be available for purchase. I think the Arcade Replay is a great little board, with lots of potential. It's just a shame that it has taken Mike J. so long to finalize it's design, and coding, as I thought that he could have perhaps sold many hundreds or thousands of them, had he completed it sooner, and sold it to both former Amiga & Atari users, as well as anyone interested in old arcade games. I still think such a board, if mass produced at a low enough price, and marketed to the right channels, including people selling retro arcade supplies and cabinets, could be a great success, but no one seems motivated to try to create such a large audience of customers.

kamelito 
Posted on 10-Sep-2019 7:01:44
#118 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

You better ask Mike, they’re most active on Slack.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Sep-2019 14:01:44
#119 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

might been a success years ago now there is a superior competition, at least regarding Amiga (Vampire...) what limits potential market. Of course FPGA Arcade is different from what Vampire does but I do not think that many who already own a vampire will buy additional a FPGA Arcade with expensive daughterboard. It is of course still interesting to people who are interested in emulating different hardware but then you have good software emulators for that.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Sep-2019 at 02:03 PM.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 10-Sep-2019 17:05:26
#120 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:

TiNA, however, can't have same price of Minimig, since the board is much more complex ...
We think that final price will be arount 300€.

Next competitor would be Mister with an AGA Minimig Core (~120€) Speed 25MHz 68030, 20MB Ram (available)

or

VampireV4 Standalone (~500€) Speed 80MHz 68060, (not available)

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 10-Sep-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle