Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  4 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  8 mins ago
 pavlor:  31 mins ago
 MagicSN:  34 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  35 mins ago
 Gunnar:  46 mins ago
 A1200:  54 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
phoenixkonsole 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 10:57:21
#521 ]

@wawa
This is exactly what I offer with the AresOne 2013 and offered with the XL for testing purposes.. ok ok.. ok I agree... without a Boingball and now for additional 15€ for adding Aros Vision to this menu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz_1TN4JqTA

In fact you see only the Ares logo, than AEROS splash, than this menu.

Whatever, you also can get mobiles since a few weeks on Ares-shop.de
I believe better priced.

end of advertisement : )

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 30-Jun-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
terminills 
Posted on 30-Jun-2013 15:07:57
#522 ]
AROS Core Developer

@wawa

Quote:

@CritAnime, terminills

actually i agree with critanime. aros is still too slow (sluggish) for what it should be and it shows on amiga, but i could feel it even booting up x86 live cds. i dont think one can blame all that on vesa driver. there are several points that would best to be revised before (if) going wider audience, not to spoil first impression.

also bootup usb recognition is one of these things. one cannot expect people to have ps2 mouse and keyboard at disposal these days. i dont know about the distros, but i had problems there withn the nightlies.

what does this have to do with what I said? :P

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Hypex 
Posted on 1-Jul-2013 16:21:49
#523 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
I constantly get pointed to discussions on your forums regarding OS4

I don't know why. It has been previously established your OS has no association with the Amiga or OS.

Quote:
I am a huge Amiga fan.

Now it's gettng confusing.

Quote:
Thats impossible to do.

No it's not, it's called AROS!

Quote:
But, some people e-mailed us and were upset because they assumed OS4 Workspace was the AmigaOS on x86 even though never marketed as such.

Those people are confusing workspaces on Linux with Workbench on Amiga. The Amiga has nothiing called a Workspace! What are these people on?

Quote:
OS4 Enterprise because he assumed OS4 was AmigaOS on x86

This is just ignorance. Does Hyperion advertise OS4 Enterprise as AmigaOS on x86? No. Is there any product listed as such in the Hyperion OS4 section? No. Was there any announcement? No. Where do these people get these ideas from?

Quote:
We decided to get rid of the assumed association with Amiga

Assumed is right. I assume these same people contacted Apple and asked if iOS4 runs all the Amiga OS4 software!?

Amiga is just a word. A electronic company in my country uses the name for itself. Sure we got upset at the time, especiallly when they had branded PCs. But they used the word for their company. It was used once for a computer we all like.

Although your product was called OS4 there is no direct link to AmigaOS4. As an Amiga user it first comes to mind, yes, but I know better and know what Amiga related systems we have in place. And AmigaOS4 isn't the only OS4 that has been in existence. My Apple iOS4 example is one of them. I'm sure there are other software releases called OS4.

vox 
Posted on 1-Jul-2013 17:33:18
#524 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Amiga is just a word. A electronic company in my country uses the name for itself. Sure we got upset at the time, especiallly when they had branded PCs. But they used the word for their company. It was used once for a computer we all like.

In my country its also an electronic company
http://www.amiga.rs/index_en.htm

Anyway, its interesting to see was the OS4 name that provoked the ignorant,
or the ignorant provoked the OS4 name?

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 15:47:51
#525 ]
Elite Member

@vox

That site looks funny. For completeness:

http://www.amiga.com.au/

Looks like they've really cut down. I'm sure they used to do PPC boards at one stage which would have been perfect!

But that's a good question. I read their history of "OS4" or OS4U" and it looked reasonable, I just forget the details. And also short. AmigaOS4 has been in development for about ten years now so it could be well known. But it's still for sale by the same company. You just have to look it up.

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 9:29:27
#526 ]
Elite Member

@thread

something new on os4online

"Now, in December of 2012 the Amiga community lost one of its shining lights. This man was a thinker, a PR genius and one of the key leaders of the Commodore and Amiga communities. His name was Barry Altman.

Barry was the CEO of CommodoreUSA. His dream was to revitalize a brand that had been misused, mistreated and abused so long and if not for his untimely demise he would have seen his dream come to fruition. Barry was an awesome guy, I knew him personally. Always full of life, and he was a true leader. Lets join the Commodore and Amiga communities as they mourn the loss of one of their true pioneers. Someone as instrumental to the success of Commodore as Jack Tramiel.

We are dedicating the release of OS4 OpenLinux 13.5 to the memory of the late Barry Altman, and in tribute we are dedicating our new Vision 64 keyboard computer and our Vision Server System to the memory of Barry Altman 1949 - 2012."

the best is "This man was a thinker, a PR genius and one of the key leaders of the Commodore and Amiga communities". I normally do not talk bad about dead people and he died a death I would not wish my biggest enemy but this is really total overdone. When he had wrote "one of the most controversial people in amiga community" it would be ok, but this... or does he mean with "Amiga" here another community?

http://www.os4online.com/

Last edited by OlafS25 on 03-Jul-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 03-Jul-2013 at 09:42 AM.

sundown 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 9:46:16
#527 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
When he had wrote "one of the most controversial people in amiga community" it would be ok, but this...

Wow, I agree. I'm inclined to try & not make quick judgement on ppl, but thats way over the top.

Signal 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 11:27:25
#528 ]
Cult Member

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@OlafS25

Quote:
When he had wrote "one of the most controversial people in amiga community" it would be ok, but this...

Wow, I agree. I'm inclined to try & not make quick judgement on ppl, but thats way over the top.

" key leaders of the Commodore and Amiga communities."

Like I said in an earlier post, if he will lie to us he will lie to those around him, and the world.
Now I must say to those around him, if he will lie to the world,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh well,
That didn't take very long.

vox 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 12:40:57
#529 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Barry was the CEO of CommodoreUSA. His dream was to revitalize a brand that had been misused, mistreated and abused so long and if not for his untimely demise he would have seen his dream come to fruition.

Big problem is that he is one of the people that has misused, mistreated and abused the brand and his dream and fruition was to continue to do so for his company gains.

Quote:
Lets join the Commodore and Amiga communities as they mourn the loss of one of their true pioneers. Someone as instrumental to the success of Commodore as Jack Tramiel.

Amiga and Commodore communities moaning? When? Where? Only possible place of moan, C-USA forums was first to go down.

Barry had nothing to do with development of CBM or Amigas as we do know them. All he did was a nice replica molded case and a name license that has lead to use of Commodore and Amiga logos on cases and in Linux. And it seems his plan never exceeded that - neither real hardware or software development wasn`t in house or sub contracted. In such terms A-EON is way bigger pioneer and visionary (development of new hardware, funding new software development).

Its likely that will be only dedication to Barry: looks like more from personal then from objective reasons of being some kind of hi tech visionary.

Last edited by vox on 03-Jul-2013 at 01:06 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 13:37:16
#530 ]

@Olaf

this has to be the best bit:

Quote:
Lets join the Commodore and Amiga communities as they mourn the loss of one of their true pioneers. Someone as instrumental to the success of Commodore as Jack Tramiel.

i was very sad to see barry pass on, but i'm not sure there was any mourning around here. and the jack tramiel comparison.... i think the dedication is very touching. the hyperbole? not so much.

-- eliyahu

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 13:44:34
#531 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

+1

the text is totally overdoing. Nobody wished Barry to die and he certainly was a kind person but f.e. phrases like "PR Genie". Steve Jobs was a "PR Genius" for sure (even if of course controversy too) but Barry Altman? I only remember him here on amigaworld saying "he will not waste his money" (on AROS, AmigaOS or any other "hobby OS"). Hardly the sentence of a "PR Genius". When I read the text I thought is it meant as provocation for the amiga-community or does Roberto really think that? If he really thinks that he has no clue what most amigans think.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 03-Jul-2013 at 01:46 PM.

number6 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 14:01:18
#532 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Big problem is that he is one of the people that has misused, mistreated and abused the brand

Or "free" it from someone that was doing what you claim.

read or ignore...either way

I'm sure you recall his nick, so...

Signal 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 14:49:22
#533 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@eliyahu

+1

the text is totally overdoing. Nobody wished Barry to die ...snip....When I read the text I thought is it meant as provocation for the amiga-community or does Roberto really think that? If he really thinks that he has no clue what most amigans think.

I don't know how, or what, some people think, but most let their 'friends' that have passed Rest In Peace. Not use their name to make a buck. (ShakeHead)

vox 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 16:17:31
#534 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
@vox Quote: Big problem is that he is one of the people that has misused, mistreated and abused the brand

Or "free" it from someone that was doing what you claim.

... even if they did free it from other abuser, just to abuse it again ...

Seems that IT dead heroes are rarely put to rest in peace.
Someone has to wake them as zombies and exploit them occasionally

Even the Molly had the right question ... will it blend?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxQJl5TmcTw&feature=fvwk

Last edited by vox on 03-Jul-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Nameless 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 17:07:23
#535 ]

This may be pessimistic, but I wonder if he put up that little Barry Altman tribute because he also stated he contacted CUSA at one time and was interested in taking it over after Barry died?

It would look good to the family. Again, that is a very pessimistic view, but I can't see it helping with actual Amiga communities. If he followed things at all, he would have know that many here wasn't exactly fond of CUSA... and those that tried to have an open mind found most of their comments/questions censored (or was greeted rudely) on CUSA forums by Barry himself.

So this new business not only promotes Barry as being a visionary, but also tries to make it sound like the Amiga community felt CUSA was some godsend, which is the exact opposite of the truth.

It is truly weird how Amiga attracts so many charlatans. It's such a small community now, I'd think it'd be pointless.

blizz1220 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 17:20:21
#536 ]

@Nameless

The reason is that external charlatans are , from time to time , taking a
look at charlatans inside the community that are already being cheered
and celebrated so they can't help but think to themselves :

"Hey , we can do so much better than that."

vox 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 17:33:21
#537 ]
Elite Member

@Nameless

Quote:
So this new business not only promotes Barry as being a visionary, but also tries to make it sound like the Amiga community felt CUSA was some godsend, which is the exact opposite of the truth.

They have tried the Messianic approach, but simply were not up to it.
As Barrys friend, maybe he really "picked it up" (youngsters would say "digs it"

@Blizz1220

Inside the community ... its really such a small pond, its almost getting low on charlatans (if we take CUSA for done).

AROS, MorphOS and AOS4 news speak of what is done by who, and its enough peep-meter.
Sadly, some developments like Natami just fail to appear, but others do make it.

So I will to restrain talking about it until end of the year - when first OS4 Beta Linux for PowerPC is promised. With full X1000 and Macs PPC support. If that fails, rest is higher math. Free to download.

Last edited by vox on 03-Jul-2013 at 05:34 PM.

paolone 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 22:59:15
#538 ]

@CritAnime

Quote:

Ubuntu might be slow under virtualization but AROS seems very sluggish. OWB can take up to 3 min to load and I have yet to get Trident to recognise USB devices. This isn't a dig at AROS because it's like a greased weasle wehn running on real hardware. It's virtualization it strugles. Which is why I am curious as to their hosted option.

If neither Ubuntu nor AROS can run at decent speeds on your PC under virtualitation, you should really consider buying a processor with VT-x/VT-d instructions (or similar AMD ones), and switch to a virtualization technology which makes use of them. Don't try using QEMU or KVM and take them as reference.

Just to be clear, I use Ubuntu Linux to compile Icaros builds and run several AROS virtual machines for testing, and OWB generally loads in less than 10 seconds. If it takes 3 minutes on your PC, then YOU have a problem, not AROS, not Ubuntu.

number6 
Posted on 5-Jul-2013 17:07:34
#539 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Updated again

utri007 
Posted on 5-Jul-2013 18:02:19
#540 ]

@all

It is more to descripes our community than actual linuz distro/problem that there is more than 538 posts in this thread.

100% sure that this isn't mean to be joke, but it is better to all of us if we react this like it would be a joke.

Clown...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle