Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 135 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 outlawal2:  11 mins ago
 AndreasM:  13 mins ago
 sibbi:  22 mins ago
 saimo:  37 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  37 mins ago
 vox:  49 mins ago
 kolla:  59 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  1 hr ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
DiscreetFX 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 19-Jul-2013 23:02:33
#701 ]
Elite Member

A friend of mine owns a clothing company and they are thinking of coming out with a new line of crotchless panties called OS4.

No joke!

Profile     Report this post  
Signal 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 0:13:30
#702 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

OS4 users outnumber MorphOS users by 15-20 times

I thought it was now called OS/4

Of course I haven't checked bobO's site in the past 30 minutes
so that may be stale info. Oy!

Daz 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 8:21:13
#703 ]

@Spectre660

Quote:
@OlafS25

I am taking a guess.

The Cs4281 audio driver version 5.5 for the Sam440ep on board audio,
uploaded 29 Jul 2009, has been downloaded 1326 times.
It is included on the Sam440ep update1 CD which was released on 14 Jan 2010

One of the facts I used to base my estimate on. This is only of use to Sam440 owners, and no-one else. It is a good guess that each download counts as a machine in the wild. Now some people will download this more than once, some once for more than one 1 Sam, but I think it is fair to assume these even out.

Throw in the 500-600 X1000 owners - Listen to Trevor's Amiwest 2012 speech if you don't believe that figure, and there are MORE copies of OS4.1 sold with an Sam440/X1000 than the total number of MorphOS Licences sold according to the MorphOS team.

Add in that OS4/OS4.1 is also available for AmigaOne, Sam 460, Pegasos II and the biggest seller - Classic with BlizzardPPC - You'll see I didn't just pick my figure out of thin air - I looked at the facts available and made an estimate.

And my figure is just an estimate, but one thing is certain - there are many times more OS4 users than MorphOS ones. Pick your own figure if you don't like mine, but don't ignore the evidence available.

Regards
Darren

Pleng 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 8:24:55
#704 ]

Isn't the "Open" In OS/4 OpenLinux a little superfluous??

Kronos 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 8:44:54
#705 ]
Elite Member

@Daz

That download number is from a time when ALL OS4-browsers had the tendency to corupt downloads (for different reasons).

Back than it was also not unusual for SAM-owners experiencing failed updates, which were most commonly cured by installing from scratch (and in the proccess by downloading that driver again).

Last and maybe least the fact that those download-stats have been used for such an argument quite often would be more than enough for certain people to hike up the numbers on purpose.

Only a few Terons survided in a useable state till today, Peg2s are a hard sought after commodity and Trevor made a lot of vaque and contradicting statements about sales numbers.

"Classic" being the biggest seller ??? Doubt you have any numbers to back that up. And even if how many of those are just bought as collector item sitting on a shelf compared to people actually useing OS4 on Phase5 ?

But the real question is, where are those 10k+ OS4 users hiding ??

wawa 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 9:04:37
#706 ]
Elite Member

@Daz

Quote:
One of the facts I used to base my estimate on. This is only of use to Sam440 owners, and no-one else. It is a good guess that each download counts as a machine in the wild. Now some people will download this more than once, some once for more than one 1 Sam, but I think it is fair to assume these even out.

dream on.. im sure i have downloaded every particular driver i needed at least five if not twenty times or more, such as wazp3d, elbox drivers, different versions if drivers for my x-surf. judging by my downloads you could estimate im alone an equivalent for some fifty users. all that not only since there are updates, but also because im convenient and its sometimes less hassle to download something from known location than search local driver for it.

Quote:
Throw in the 500-600 X1000 owners - Listen to Trevor's Amiwest 2012 speech if you don't believe that figure,

trevor has never named a figure. he vaguely hinted at the size of batches still your estimation would be best case upon what he has said. now guess why no precise numbers are told.

Quote:
and there are MORE copies of OS4.1 sold with an Sam440/X1000 than the total number of MorphOS Licences sold according to the MorphOS team.

so far your _estimation_ barely meets the confirmed number of morphos licenses sold. again, this confirms licenses sold, not users, but neither your _estimation_ must confirm the number of users as it sometimes easier to download files separately for every machine connected to the net.

Quote:
Add in that OS4/OS4.1 is also available for AmigaOne, Sam 460, Pegasos II and the biggest seller - Classic with BlizzardPPC - You'll see I didn't just pick my figure out of thin air - I looked at the facts available and made an estimate.

interesting what confirmed numbers this population is and where you have taken the statement from, that classic os4 is a bestseller. (given that ppc cards are pretty rare and most of them likely dead, from what i hear).

Quote:
And my figure is just an estimate, but one thing is certain - there are many times more OS4 users than MorphOS ones. Pick your own figure if you don't like mine, but don't ignore the evidence available.

im fine with your estimate if this makes you feel better. but im visiting english, german and polish forums. in poland there is two sited dedicated or almost dedicated to os4, both pretty dead. there is only one big all-amiga forum and morphos users make considerable part of population there. in germany i know of one small os4 dedicated forum, the big amiga forum is a1k, mainly genuine amiga hardware related with a small (but active) os4 group. there are meetings in germany where morphos users apparently usually critically outnumber os4 users for whatever reason, however i have not attended it. there is eab and amiga.org, where os4 is almost a non subject, with some morphos users attending. what remains is amigans.net and here. all in all, chances are alas, that you are completely wrong with your estimate. i hate to break it to you like this..

wawa 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 9:10:38
#707 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
"Classic" being the biggest seller ??? Doubt you have any numbers to back that up. And even if how many of those are just bought as collector item sitting on a shelf compared to people actually useing OS4 on Phase5 ?

im one of the guys who own both csppc in working state and a copy of os4. but im not an active os4 user anymore since few years. my csppc gets used now with aros68k;), i dont think the ppc part has seen much application as of late. its a waste but so be it.

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 9:12:08
#708 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

It is a matter of believe because there are no hard facts. I doubt this 15-20x estimate but I cannot proof it like he cannot proof his believe. Anyway it is not important...

vox 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 12:01:54
#709 ]
Elite Member

@Pleng/4

Quote:
Isn't the "Open" In OS/4 OpenLinux a little superfluous??

Its just to make you remember it is based/and open source ...

@thread

We could only wish there are 10k MorphOS and 10k AmigaOS 4 users (even interlaping)

Robertos description of MorphOS is fair, even it can start a blue/red war again because of "being better then AmigaOS 4". It is more polished, tested and yes, better looking with better apps in some areas. And in development few years longer. Initial release 0.1 / August 1, 2000; 12 years ago

But, let use first see some MorphOS systems sold. Surprisingly, argument was that his OpenLinux development plan is of least concern for MOS guys (Ambient port to x86 did not meet the eye)
and in the end they are "first winners". Will they buy OS/4 Linux for PowerPC and finally have OS4 alongside MOS (and MacOS X!)?

wawa 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 12:23:28
#710 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Robertos description of MorphOS is fair, even it can start a blue/red war again because of "being better then AmigaOS 4". It is more polished, tested and yes, better looking with better apps in some areas. And in development few years longer. Initial release 0.1 / August 1, 2000; 12 years ago

you seem to suggest morphos is in a better shape since it is longer in development. apparently morphos just like aros was developed from scratch except where it was based on said aros. os4 on the other hand claims to be based on genuine amiga sources, which should have spared most of the work.

number6 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 12:32:18
#711 ]
Elite Member

@thread

CafePress Store Update

wawa 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 12:46:08
#712 ]
Elite Member

@number6

cmon;) isnt it like who wants to advertise on this site should buy an ad?;)

vox 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 13:42:58
#713 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
cmon;) isnt it like who wants to advertise on this site should buy an ad?;)

Since C=USA failed to do even that, maybe OS4 should

vox 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 13:51:11
#714 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
you seem to suggest morphos is in a better shape since it is longer in development. apparently morphos just like aros was developed from scratch except where it was based on said aros. os4 on the other hand claims to be based on genuine amiga sources, which should have spared most of the work.

"Longer in development" is short for

a) Longer in development
b) Already quite developed at time OS4 development started
c) Completely new code, but some nagsayers would say starting from OS 3.1
is bigger curse. Call that a better start position
d) Factor X - Who knows ... maybe even better and more skilled and dedicated team or just no Amiga Inc on the back? Really better concept? Better hardware targetting? Cheaper OS?

Real clever move is Roberto now needs no agreement with A-EON and development for tricky Acube and A-EON boards, while having a "PPC Line" for PPC OS4 Linux.

Only solution is that after AmigaOS 4.2 we jump to AmigaOS 5

scabit 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 13:55:21
#715 ]

@wawa

Quote:
im sure i have downloaded every particular driver i needed at least five if not twenty times or more,

LOL!

And you suggest that DAZ exaggerates!

wawa 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 15:26:27
#716 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
LOL! And you suggest that DAZ exaggerates!

seriously. im at my parents place where im testing aros68k under uae. ive just found some fifteen downloads of wazp3d package in the chrome download folder. im not saying im your regular user. i trust many os4 fans may have never downloaded a single driver, though an average active supporter may not be far from my habits. especially when testing you have to keep setup up to date.

Last edited by wawa on 20-Jul-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 20-Jul-2013 at 03:26 PM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 17:20:41
#717 ]
Cult Member

The evolution of a thread... we are now seeing red vs blue stuff. :(

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

number6 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 17:23:10
#718 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Quote:

Well, after 2 pages of that I offered them the chance to discuss coffee mugs, but apparently that was a subject lacking in drama potential.

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 17:27:26
#719 ]
Elite Member

@number6

What would be a "Amiga related" thread without drama and/or red vs. blue vs. black

wawa 
Posted on 20-Jul-2013 18:50:27
#720 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Quote:

its not red vs blue as far as im concerned, since ive never seen morphos in action, its red against the reason!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle