Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 90 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 number6:  31 mins ago
 RobertB:  31 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
saimo 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 18:47:52
#81 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Im not trying to start a legal battle with anyone, nor am I special and just need attention, Im trying to get THEIR attention in a productive way,

I'm sorry if this will start the drama*, but, quite simply, this does not sound convicing at all to me.

1. You made your opening post on the 18th.
2. In this post, made on the 21th, you say that you got interesting feedback from the community, discussed with your team, pondered on a few ideas and tried to get in touch with Amiga Inc. In particular, you state: "I have contacted Amiga Inc. about brand licensing, no Im not saying we are going to go that route, Im just curious how much they license the brand for."
3. On the very same day you officially publish on your website the announcement that "OS4 Line of products becomes Amiga".

I can't simply believe that, just to get a reaction from Amiga Inc., in such a short time you came up with a major business decision like that and went public with such a bold announcement, which might affect the credibility of your company/product not just with the Amigans, but with the whole market you move in, (apparently) without knowing to what degree you have the Amiga community by your side and with the relevant matter of the legal issues. Or, more concisely, one doesn't just take ownership of a revered brand** owned by others and goes public with a major branding change just to open a channel with the owners themselves ("in a productive way" sounds like a joke there).
And, on top of everything, saying, at the same time, that you're not going that route for sure.

Maybe you're a flammable and enthusiast individual, maybe you just have no clue, maybe you've calculated that the risk of having to say "Sorry, it wasn't possible" was worth it, maybe you're super-smart and came up with a brilliant plan that goes beyond everybody's vision, maybe... whatever. But to me it rather seems that this is just the next step of a plan defined a long time ago, when the idea of creating Linux distribution somehow related to/recalling Amiga formed.

What I've read here fails to sound 100% genuine to me. Please be totally open and honest, and don't mess around with the hearts of Amiga lovers - they're already broken and gasping for relief.

*Good for those who have already their bag of popcorn ready, though
**To those who think/say that the Amiga brand has no value whatsoever anymore due to all that has happened to it: that's wrong for so many reasons that my mind explodes in the attempt of trying to condense them here in few words (and it would be OT anyway)

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 18:58:49
#82 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

I will get a whole load of popcorn

"On July 8" I must have a kind of hallucination

@RobertJDohnert

At the moment it sounds like CUSA and that failed to be successful. And when you have no permission you have a good chance to be "double sued". And at the moment I do not understand what is suddenly "Amiga" at your distribution? Does it have a "amiga-based" API like AmigaOS, MorphOS or AROS? Or anything else? Emulators are running everywhere already but that does not make f.e. Windows to Amiga.

And AmigaOS and Hpyerion might be the loudest but not representing the majority of existing amiga-community (most are 68k, MorphOS and AmigaOS both about 1000 users, AROS difficult to estimate, downloads for X86 were about 5000-7000).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 22-Jun-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 19:04:19
#83 ]
Cult Member

@RobertJDohnert

I downloaed and installed OS4-edu this morning (I knew that ole 20GB HD would
be useful).

I had only a short time to play, but not bad, not bad at all.

On your website at the end of the first section you said the word 'stable'.
That seems to be a lost concept today. If you can indeed keep your OS to that
word it would go a long way for us amigans that tend to keep our hardware a
very long time.

Keep us informed about your ppc projects. We have some very good linux people
with open minds and are not....er.....squeeky wheels, so to speak.

EDIT

Just my opinion, perhaps you should make the Boing Ball black and yellow on
your site.

Last edited by Signal on 22-Jun-2013 at 07:09 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 19:22:22
#84 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Nobody said that "Amiga" brand has no value but there are lots of "empty" former known names around used for something else. But when there is not a product related to the brand (pictures in the heads of the users, memories and so on) using it does not help or even the opposite. So as long as the brand cannot be used for something amiga-related because of Amiga Inc. and Hyperion it is not of much help and it will not rise the sales. Then the same will happen as with CUSA, people will shortly look at it, understand that only the name is used and then turn away.

saimo 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 19:30:29
#85 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
OlafS25 wrote:

Sorry, I don't get this

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@saimo

Nobody said that "Amiga" brand has no value but there are lots of "empty" former known names around used for something else. But when there is not a product related to the brand (pictures in the heads of the users, memories and so on) using it does not help or even the opposite. So as long as the brand cannot be used for something amiga-related because of Amiga Inc. and Hyperion it is not of much help and it will not rise the sales. Then the same will happen as with CUSA, people will shortly look at it, understand that only the name is used and then turn away.

Many times, in other threads, I've read that the Amiga brand is now worthless or that it has lost part of its value because of the s*it. In the context of my post it was important to point out the value of the brand, but, at the same time, I wanted to avoid the OT - and that's why I won't add more here

Last edited by saimo on 22-Jun-2013 at 07:53 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 19:39:42
#86 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@OlafS25

[quote]OlafS25 wrote:

Sorry, I don't get this

[quote]

Simone, this from the website the OP posted:

'On July 8, 2013. The OS4 OpenLinux Project becomes the Amiga OpenLinux Project. OS4 Enterprise Linux becomes Amiga Enterprise Linux.

With this change we will be taking up a few commitments for current AmigaOS users.,

@ all amigans

Butter with your popcorn ?

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

saimo 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 19:52:49
#87 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
Simone, this from the website the OP posted:

'On July 8, 2013. The OS4 OpenLinux Project becomes the Amiga OpenLinux Project.

Ah, thanks. I had not noticed.
That opens to the possibility of saying "Well, that was the plan and we really believe in it, but something went wrong in the meanwhile and we had to cancel it. Sorry." - a sort of safety measure.

Quote:
@ all amigans

Butter with your popcorn ?

You know what? I never liked popcorn
Luckily I don't have time these days (and it's years that I've reduced my presence here anyway)... but I just could not but air my concerns.

Fransexy 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 19:58:04
#88 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

I never understood why people want a x86 runing linux called Amiga. Is as stupid as get a chinese phone with Android and call it Apple

sundown 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 21:25:00
#89 ]
Elite Member

Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"

Darrin 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 21:36:22
#90 ]
Team Member

Linux is Linux, Amiga OS is Amiga OS, AROS is AROS, MorphOS os MorphOS.

Trying to call Linux "Amiga" is just plain wrong and confusing and serves to other purpose than to restart a war that we all thought and hoped was over, even if (and I'm starting to have my doubts) that is was meant as a tribute to our beloved home computers of the 80s.

Why not call it "Sinclair Spectrum OS" and upset someone else instead?

Just my 2 cents.

Now, something like "Linux OS4 for Amiga PPC" for my X1000 would be very welcome.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 21:41:15
#91 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:
Keep us informed about your ppc projects. We have some very good linux people with open minds and are not....er.....squeeky wheels, so to speak.

if you want amiga named linux, why exactly do you want it on ppc? linux is not ppc bound like hyperions os4 and can be used on faster and cheaper hardware from the start. why ppc? i dont get it..

terminills 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 22:12:08
#92 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Darrin

Quote:
Trying to call Linux "Amiga" is just plain wrong

Trying to call BSD "MacOS" is just plain wro... Crap Apple did that didn't they?

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

scabit 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 22:44:59
#93 ]

@terminills

Quote:
Trying to call BSD "MacOS" is just plain wro... Crap Apple did that didn't they?

LOL!

scabit 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 22:55:55
#94 ]

@saimo

Quote:
I'm sorry if this will start the drama*, but, quite simply, this does not sound convicing at all to me.

I have to agree.
Maybe this guy is just insanely "driven" to accomplish something..but what?
His business is to sell his version of Linux to people...so how are we as a community going to be used to help him accomplish this? His original marketing strategy and ideas have changed somewhat since his initial posts....its all very curious. Trevor talks about him many months ago...time goes by and nothing, and then in a few days some interesting and possibly confusing (to the Amiga community) renaming tactics just to get a rise out of Amiga Inc. (and coincidentally some people on this forum as well).
I'll just sit back with the rest of you and watch the show....

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 22:57:21
#95 ]

@Darrin

Quote:
Linux is Linux, Amiga OS is Amiga OS, AROS is AROS, MorphOS os MorphOS.

Well said!

Scott

OlafS25 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 23:09:14
#96 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Look at the date of the last news with the renaming of the distribution. Perhaps some kind of joke or prediction

"On July 8, 2013. The OS4 OpenLinux Project becomes the Amiga OpenLinux Project. OS4 Enterprise Linux becomes Amiga Enterprise Linux."

OlafS25 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 23:16:24
#97 ]
Elite Member

@Darrin

i would say if it looks like Amiga, behaves like Amiga and has the same API and architecture like Amiga and runs amiga-software you can call it Amiga, whatever the kernel might be or even if it is based partly on Linux. That is not the case for a pure linux distribution. So call a pure linux distribution amiga will not help and instead anger potential customers.

Signal 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 23:33:17
#98 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Signal

Quote:
Keep us informed about your ppc projects. We have some very good linux people with open minds and are not....er.....squeeky wheels, so to speak.

if you want amiga named linux, why exactly do you want it on ppc? linux is not ppc bound like hyperions os4 and can be used on faster and cheaper hardware from the start. why ppc? i dont get it..

You don't get it...

What? Amiga by another name?

Signal 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 23:34:41
#99 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Darrin

i would say if it looks like Amiga, behaves like Amiga and has the same API and architecture like Amiga and runs amiga-software you can call it Amiga, whatever the kernel might be or even if it is based partly on Linux. That is not the case for a pure linux distribution. So call a pure linux distribution amiga will not help and instead anger potential customers.

Yeah,,, but it's Free, it's Free, it's Freeeeeee.

AmigaMac 
Posted on 22-Jun-2013 23:52:42
#100 ]

I think if Linux is not mentioned too often and the focus is on Amiga Workbench and the APIs that maintain backward compatibility, it's not a horrible idea. But just being another Linux distro using some old brand for the sake of nostalgia is a waste of time.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle