Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

agami

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  25 secs ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 7 mins ago
 mbrantley:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 31 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
WolfToTheMoon 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 16:50:04
#801 ]

just wanted to be the 800th post

Profile     Report this post  
cgutjahr 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 17:41:44
#802 ]
Cult Member

@damocles

Quote:

I seem to remember [...] people on AO/AWN stating that Amiga Inc's boing ball trademark was defunct and anyone could be using it

You remember wrong. The BoingBall trademark is defunct in the US (not in other parts of the world), that's correct.

It's still in active commercial use though, by Amiga Inc. (licensor) and Hyperion, A-EON and (IIRC?) A-Cube (licensees, distributing products carrying the Boingball mark).

A trademark doesn't have to be registered to be protected.

As for Mr. Dohnert: As usual, he's one third wrong ("all software related trademarks of Amiga are dead"), one third very vague ("I registered marks, but I won't tell you which ones...") and one third trolling ("Hired another dev, he wants to do Amiga work").

I still think #6 shouldn't get away that easily with bumping this thread over and over again.

vox 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 17:51:12
#803 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Can it be that mainly only AmigaOS fans are so angry about it because they think only their choice deserves it to be called "Amiga"? As far as I can see the reactions no angry reactions in AROS camp, MorphOS and even the 68k community. If they violate any rights or trademarks the responsible persons that own this rights or trademarks should think about it and take legal actions. It is not my problem, I do not own it and are not paid for it. They have now given up trying to use "Amiga" for their distribution. If it really was the best idea can be discussed but they are now doing what is realistic. And that X1000 (and successors) is obscure in todays world where you get cheaper and better hardware at every corner (viewed from outside) might not be the best phrase when you want to win the AmigaOS fans but it is honest.

I ve read AROS exec threads and they are not thrilled either.

Well, yes, he is sometimes not so wise, especially trying to emulate Amigan when needed. and then bashing it if encounters any resistance (even it can be advice to him - why abusing Amiga trademarks at all). Starts to look a like Barry more over time. Dedication works.

wawa 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 17:55:34
#804 ]
Elite Member

@vox

some on aros-exec was a little upset (for no reason as i see it) but generally everybody, especially the core devs like staf, takes it easy. this is to privilege of aros not being vulnerable to misuse, if it was misuse.

Last edited by wawa on 26-Jul-2013 at 05:55 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 17:56:57
#805 ]
Elite Member

@vox

I did not say all were excited/thrilled or similar just less angry/annoyed by it. I think they made a number of errors at the start, now they are doing some pragmatic things. They will not satisfy everyone and they created too high expectations at the start (with their wish list). I personal will see what they do in future. AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS will not become better or worse because of it. Perhaps we get some new users, if not nothing will have changed. That is how I see it.

CritAnime 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 18:14:09
#806 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
just wanted to be the 800th post

FAIL!

You got 801 :P

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

vox 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 18:14:55
#807 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

AROS developers did not react publicly even to C=USA offer. I don`t recall any instance of their official reaction.

As they care not for Amiga name and symbol there was not need to.

I personally don`t see any benefit of his Linux on x86. AF and AROS are avail to anyone as it is (or at same level he integrates it). Will he make PPC version remains to be see, or AROS drivers, or anything new.

Until then it only leeches other ones work and interest for promo of an Linux, don`t you agree?

ChrisH 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 18:16:38
#808 ]
Elite Member

@all
I'm really puzzled why you guys are giving this so much attention. I dismissed them almost immediately... When do you realise they're just trolling us for fun, and stop giving them the reactions they want? I mean, it's blantantly clear they're not really serious. Possibly it's just some kind of wierd revenge for Barry (RIP). Or another iWin. Or *insert you favourite Amiga scam here*.

@cgutjahr Quote:
Let me spell it out for you and all the others who are oh so much offended by this remark: He knew this would piss you off - that's the exact reason he posted it. He needs our attention - that's what all these daily logo and name changes, the announcements, the promises and the snide remarks are about.

Well, at least you seem to have realised

OK, I'm going back to doing something worthwhile now

Last edited by ChrisH on 26-Jul-2013 at 06:17 PM.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 18:40:24
#809 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:
You remember wrong. The BoingBall trademark is defunct in the US (not in other parts of the world), that's correct.

Its a good thing then we arent using a boing ball as our logo. We purchased that logo, its 100% legal and by our estimates, lawyers estimates etc. It does not infringe on anyones copyright. Now when we open an office in the EU if its an issue we will consult attorneys there. Right now, its a non-issue since its not a boing ball.

Quote:
As for Mr. Dohnert: As usual, he's one third wrong ("all software related trademarks of Amiga are dead"), one third very vague ("I registered marks, but I won't tell you which ones...") and one third trolling ("Hired another dev, he wants to do Amiga work").

Oh they are dead here in the US. Look them up. So no, Im not wrong. Everyone already knows which ones are undergoing the USPTO process. If we dont use them, we'll definitely hold onto them. Just in case someone with nefarious or dubious intentions tries to exploit the community. The developer that has been hired is a great guy but right now our focus is on our business and the SPARC port. When thats done he is yours. BTW. as for the USPTO proceedings so far there have been no objections. On a personal note, I have missed you cgutjahr. You are like a ray of sunlight into my day. Without you, my days are cloudy and dismal. You need to send me more e-mail. When I make it up to your neck of the woods we will sit down and have a pint together. OK? OK

Thanks guys.

vox 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 19:10:49
#810 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
On a personal note, I have missed you cgutjahr. You are like a ray of sunlight into my day. Without you, my days are cloudy and dismal. You need to send me more e-mail. When I make it up to your neck of the woods we will sit down and have a pint together. OK? OK

Is this sarcasm or love romance?

Less PR, more work ... again

P.S.
Chat looks like a running out of options without much help ...

Quote:
[20:43:15] [rjdohnert] Lets see, I cant use the AROS, it contains AmigaOS 3.1 source code

Thats untrue, its not and its open source. You can (ab)use it as much as you wish.
People are open minded, and would love to see some help and progress - you mentioned
AROS drivers for your several new (why and not some green?) computers. And don`t think or
say such things, or some people will think its Hyperion you represent

Quote:
[20:43:50] [rjdohnert] I cant sell the vision 64 because its an AIO keyboard too close to the Commodore 64

So is C-USA Amiga Mini to Mac Mini. And I see you go for old Phoenix on resale. With Linux
and possibly AROS. Don`t C=USA dreams become reality after all the hard work?

Quote:
[20:45:09] [rjdohnert] My lawyer charges me $75 bucks per response

Hope donations will cover it.

Last edited by vox on 26-Jul-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Last edited by vox on 26-Jul-2013 at 07:52 PM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 19:58:39
#811 ]
Cult Member

@all:

Quote:

You need to send me more e-mail.

Just to make this clear: I never sent Mr. Dohnert an email, and I never will.

Like I said: one third wrong, one third vague, one third trolling.

blizz1220 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:10:21
#812 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Just to make this clear: I never sent Mr. Dohnert an email, and I never will. Like I said: one third wrong, one third vague, one third trolling.

This is the kind of information one finds useful ...

I agree with you 101 % cgutjahr , this thread should be left
to die and anyone that wants to see what Roberto is doing
knows where to check ...

If he makes something community related it will be all over
the place anyway , if not , nobody should care and get angry
about it ...

I'm not posting a single line about this anymore until I have
undeniable proof of actions related to Amiga community ...

Signal 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:13:19
#813 ]
Cult Member

From his e-mail answers;
Quote:
MintPPC hasn't had a major release since 2011.

I've been messing with Linux since the mid to late 90's when the
first boxed distro of Red Hat hit the shelves. Still on a modem at
the time, and I don't recall any distro ever cutting down another.

Not my kind of guy.

saimo 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:17:26
#814 ]
Elite Member

@all

I'm amazed this person has been given so much attention. Even if one doesn't (want to) see his unethical behaviour, his total lack of professionality and basic business capabilities should scream it loud and clear that he's not somebody to do business with. And that's just to begin with.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:23:35
#815 ]

@Signal

Quote:
I've been messing with Linux since the mid to late 90's when the
first boxed distro of Red Hat hit the shelves. Still on a modem at
the time, and I don't recall any distro ever cutting down another.

No one cut down Linux Mint. Linux Mint makes a fine distribution. I pointed out reality and fact that MintPPC has not had a major release since 2011. I have never discounted or insulted Clement or his crew. If you must know, Clement has been instrumental in getting me in touch with the guys who developed MintPPC so we can compare notes. Thats what we do in the Linux world, its called cooperation. If more of the computing segments had that it would probably be a better world.

Toaks 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:30:42
#816 ]
Elite Member

FIRST!

vox 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:34:15
#817 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
No one cut down Linux Mint. Linux Mint makes a fine distribution. I pointed out reality and fact that MintPPC has not had a major release since 2011. I have never discounted or insulted Clement or his cre

http://www.mintppc.org/about

Khm, Linux Mint PPC is not even a official fork of Linux Mint, which doesn`t even exist in PPC version
(official one). Its a backport to Debian PPC. Clever way to get fast Linux, and yes its not updated
from 2011, nor discontinued. Ubuntu is 12, Fedora exists is quite recent version, and Debian has surprsingly up to date port. They all work on X1000 with quite recent kernel.

You don`t automaticaly become the king, but its smaller Linux pool.

You need to support up to some 10 boards to cover almost all PPC Mac, A-EON, Acube and Genesi boards. Or you can just few like you have mentioned.

Good luck!

Last edited by vox on 26-Jul-2013 at 08:35 PM.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:35:18
#818 ]

@saimo

Quote:
I'm amazed this person has been given so much attention.

So am I. I mean really.

Quote:
Even if one doesn't (want to) see his unethical behavior, his total lack of professionality and basic business capabilities should scream it loud and clear that he's not somebody to do business with. And that's just to begin with.

Actually my behavior has been very ethical. As for my professionalism. If you call the threatening of legal threats, and name calling and other like behavior professional then I want no part of it.

As for basic business capabilities I have been in business 5 almost 6 years so I must be doing something right.

Overflow 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:37:49
#819 ]

Last edited by Overflow on 26-Jul-2013 at 08:38 PM.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:45:51
#820 ]

@vox

Quote:
Khm, Linux Mint PPC is not even a official fork of Linux Mint, which doesn`t even exist in PPC version
(official one). Its a backport to Debian PPC. Clever way to get fast Linux, and yes its not updated
from 2011, nor discontinued. Ubuntu is 12, Fedora exists is quite recent version, and Debian has surprsingly up to date port. They all work on X1000 with quite recent kernel.

Yes, I knew MintPPC was a backport and that you have to install a repository etc. etc. etc But that doesnt change the fact they havent had a release since 2011.

Fedora considers PPC a secondary architecture and in Fedora speaks that means the community can do it, but there is NO official support and in the build process if something breaks, or if an application doesnt run its not their problem you should be running an x86 system anyway.

Ubuntu the same way. Now, I never said these werent fine distributions and if people want to run them then thats fine, but we are making a fully supported Linux distro for PPC. Not a secondary architecture, not a backport or fiddle with repositories etc etc. A fully supported architecture means you have staff behind it that works with it and maintains it. I already said, right now we are concentrating on G4 and G5. If Acube or A-EON want to help us support their hardware then thats fine. If they dont, thats fine too. Good luck.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle