Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 175 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  12 mins ago
 amigakit:  36 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  38 mins ago
 pixie:  59 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 AndreasM:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Swisso:  3 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  JXfileSystem error
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: JXfileSystem error
Posted on 15-Aug-2013 17:45:28
#81 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Otherwise I don`t see how OScould get updated since 2004 (or 2006, or whenever Amiga Inc stopped funding it)

Quote:
whenever Amiga Inc stopped funding it)
?

Alan Redhouse (Eyetech):

Quote:
Amiga Inc ran out of money and so couldn't fund OS4

and...

Quote:
Please make no mistake, without Eyetech putting its money on the line there would not just have been no AmigaOne, there would have been no OS4 either.

Please do your research before remarking about the "contributions" Amiga Inc. has made over the years to anything "Amiga". Thanks. Heh.

Profile     Report this post  
Zylesea 
Posted on 15-Aug-2013 22:06:32
#82 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:

Since now AmigaOS is available for Pegasos machines too, and MorphOS will run on SAM 440 and SAM 460 Amiga machines

Do you know more about MorphOS running on Sam440, too? Oficially it was announced for Sam460 only AFAIK.

vox 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 2:25:45
#83 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
Please do your research before remarking about the "contributions" Amiga Inc. has made over the years to anything "Amiga". Thanks. Heh.

Thanks for correction, my remembrance of Eyetech is linked to funding
Mai Logics Terron board as Amiga One, but is nice to know they (and all
AmigaOne customers) have funded AmigaOS 4 development.

number6 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 15:48:14
#84 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
Do you know more about MorphOS running on Sam440, too? Oficially it was announced for Sam460 only AFAIK.

Looks like no on 440 and not good for 460.

Quote:
I'm sorry to spoil the party but MorphOS support for Sam440 is very unlikely to happen. Our original plans to support 460 got massively delayed already and even there is quite some low level work still ahead.With all the additional issues showing up in public and the rather sparse feedback we received from customers regarding our plans to support ACube's hardware, it's not even sure if that will ever see the light of day anytime soon ...

pega-1

Spectre660 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 19:28:44
#85 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Sounds like that low level work is hard stuff.
Rings a bell about the difficulty in porting a certain OS to X86 or Arm .

Zylesea 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 21:18:45
#86 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Pity. Still hope for 460 suport though. Never heard about mentioned issues before. But if support is too much hassle, better drop it and add new features. Luckily there's no hardware supply shortage for MorphOS, hence the Sam boards are nothing urgend for the OS, but would make a nice extra.

Spectre660 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 21:21:18
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

As a Sam460ex owner I never heard of nor encounterd these issues either.

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@number6

Pity. Still hope for 460 suport though. Never heard about mentioned issues before. But if support is too much hassle, better drop it and add new features. Luckily there's no hardware supply shortage for MorphOS, hence the Sam boards are nothing urgend for the OS, but would make a nice extra.

Zylesea 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 21:30:38
#88 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@Zylesea

As a Sam460ex owner I never heard of nor encounterd these issues either.

My general impression is that the Sam460 is a rather fine piece of hardware with some unlucky pci/SATA interference.

On http://www.morphzone.info/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=8931&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&start=20 there are probs with memory sockets mentioned. Never heard about that before.

I hope and think Acube will provide the MorphOS-Team all support required.

Spectre660 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 21:51:19
#89 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Yeah.
I had read the thread before Number 6 linked to it from here.
I dont know why i dont believe it though. Must be getting fanatical or something.

vox 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 2:00:12
#90 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:

Surely its not an urgent thing from MOS pond perspective, but beside Acube funding it??? (I do remember MOS team would not do that for free - that was an excuse to refuse Nemo board) we ll see how PPC Mac supply will do in lets say 2015. which is only 1,5 years ahead.

Dual booting MorphOS is great thing, not just for full time conversion to it, but being able to do both PPC worlds. As long as SAMs and X1000/x2000 are only PPC new boards globally, and OS is PPC, its equally insane not to support it.

From MorphOS team perspective, its not important do you dual boot or use MOS alone - you anyway
get MorphOS license paid.

Last edited by vox on 17-Aug-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 2:18:56
#91 ]
Elite Member

@vox

My comments refer to the alleged issues with the Sam460ex hardware that I have not heard about under AmigOS 4.1.

vox 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 10:13:40
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:
My comments refer to the alleged issues with the Sam460ex hardware that I have not heard about under AmigOS 4.1.

Sounds just like nice excuse not to (do a port)? Does it come from official members of team?

Edit: I see its Yasu saying he had probs with OS4 crashing all time on SAM 460 (!??)
and that no one has ever heard of it, not even on Hyperion support forum where SAM 460 would complain
(as if he is an owner can too)

Quote:
"Later I got it confirmed that A-Cube have huge problems with the memory sockets, and that they tend to work poorly or not at all (making the system unstable). It was for this reason I

In the end it looked liked he used some combo of RAM of his own, which is common knowledge
(not all off shelf RAM modules works on SAMs and A1s and that it is recommended to buy RAM with them)

Quote:
But in a lot of cases the problems is actually the choice of RAM. The 460 is extremely picky, so you have to buy those that are recommended by A-cube themselves.

So complete, Moo Bunny type false alarm to discredit Acube - with no need for it.
Something I really dislike in Amiga community since CBM demise. Love your own kind, support it. Even problems occur, find positive way to overcome it.

Last edited by vox on 17-Aug-2013 at 10:51 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 10:54:11
#93 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
With all the additional issues showing up in public and the rather sparse feedback we received from customers regarding our plans to support ACube's hardware

sounds like that it is just not much worth to bother, apparently also from the potential user perspective. similarly there seem not to be much interest in sam hardware as aros platform. i wouldnt consider that unexpected..

vox 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 11:06:05
#94 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
sounds like that it is just not much worth to bother, apparently also from the potential user perspective. similarly there seem not to be much interest in sam hardware as aros platform. i wouldnt consider that unexpected..

Well if you would ask SAM 460 owners there is certainly interest.

If you would really read all that MorphOS users say on MorphZone:

a) They do acknowledge having new hardware is good for promo of MOS
b) They do acknowledge SAM 460 as potential target, even CPU slower then
G4s (but don`t forget RAM / SATA / PCI-E when MOS drivers done)
c) They look forward to proving again MorphOS is faster then OS4 on same hardware
d) They do even think SAM 440 has potential as less HW buggy system, silent and
usable at 800Mhz

Having in mind long history of ACube bashing from MOS users, that is indeed
good and fresh perspective and shows how criticism can shift to brighter side,
once it catches glimpse of eye as usable platform to more branches of Amiga flavor.

Looking forward to seeing MorphOS in action at DJ Nicks SAM 460, when its done

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 11:08:33
#95 ]
Elite Member

@vox

BTW

sorry for some comments of me but I am (sometimes) a little frustrated by the behavior of some users...

To the topic MorphOS team is halfway between AROS (opensource) and Hyperion (commercial) so they want to get additional paid licenses and seem to think now that they will not sell many licenses with the port so if money is the main motivation doing it it will propably not happen. I agree there, I think users who bought SAMs did it to use AmigaOS and will certainly not change to MorphOS. And people only buy licenses when they really use MorphOS otherwise they can simply boot the demo version now and then.

vox 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 12:55:35
#96 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
To the topic MorphOS team is halfway between AROS (opensource) and Hyperion (commercial) so they want to get additional paid licenses and seem to think now that they will not sell many licenses with the port so if money is the main motivation doing it it will propably not happen. I agree there, I think users who bought SAMs did it to use AmigaOS and will certainly not change to MorphOS. And people only buy licenses when they really use MorphOS otherwise they can simply boot the demo version now and then.

Well, being half way between should be good, but that kind of logic make
Hyperion look look bad. It was publicly presented and announced (by Acube, but yet yes).
They say that alone (support for SAM 460) doesn`t detracts overall OS progress.

If they feel so superior as usual, why not testing the hypothesis? (of having more convertitis,
or at least dual booters among existing SAM 460 users)

Plus it opens SAM 460 as future offer without OS4 and with MOS if needed (but they almost
never sell MOS licenses that way, at least not from days of Genesi).

If the port is paid, and that used to be what MOS Team asked "to take any port
seriously" (or better to say hardware) does it matter will it be 1 on 1000 licenses, surely
it opens windows now and in the future.

In the end, OS4 for Pegasos was the breaker of dual boot, ending red vs blue war
in common hardware, and was a success. Why not doing the same other way around?

Finally, as SAM 460 is licensed as AmigaOne 500 as system, that will be effectively
first MorphOS for AmigaOne system, spiritually bridging another gap

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 13:08:29
#97 ]
Elite Member

@vox

port paid? I do not think that Acube pays in the port in the general sense, perhaps giving hardware but paying the port? A average freelancer would need thousands of Euro per month (and one month is not much). That they thinking about stopping the port is another indication that they are not paid for it. They only earn money if people buy licenses.

Anyway it would be nice for users to have hardware with more than one OS

wawa 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 13:51:34
#98 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25, vox

i dont think anyone here knows enough to make demands of morphos team. they have not promised anything afair, i only remember acube advertising it, so it isnt your deal, vox. according to my quotation and the feedback on morphzone there is a little interest on the subject, but apparently not enough to make it happen soon. so live with it instead of driving this thread off topic.

Last edited by wawa on 17-Aug-2013 at 01:52 PM.

number6 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 14:10:10
#99 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Sounds just like nice excuse not to (do a port)? Does it come from official members of team?

What I posted was from Frank Mariak (Pega-1), so yes.

The more specific followup:
Quote:
Is this referring to the memory socket issue Yasu reported on or the missing AC'97 clock source selection resistor? If neither, what issues do you mean?

was merely Andreas asking for a specific response from Frank.

geit 
Posted on 17-Aug-2013 14:21:57
#100 ]

The Sam460 port is official. It was officially shown on planetia, but the MorphOS Team likes to finish already supported hardware before opening new projects.

Currently finishing the remaining G5 problems, the missed iBook revision and the r300 driver bugs simply have priority. It is important to frequently take some time to sum and fix outstanding problems. Just remember MorphOS already supports over 70 different hardware platforms, which also often appear in different revisions.

Summery: The target for MorphOS 3.3 is bug fixing.

If and when the Sam460 port is released depends on the spare time of the related developers. MorphOS 3.3 will not support it for sure. There are also no plans to support Sam440 or any other OS4 platform.

Geit

Last edited by geit on 17-Aug-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Last edited by geit on 17-Aug-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Last edited by geit on 17-Aug-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle