Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 Troels:  57 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Arix
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
g01df1sh 
Arix
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 10:48:16
#1 ]

Hi All

See nothing happening on the Arix website is this another one to forget about? For all over parties in Amiga development hyperion, Aeon and all involved with OS4 and Aros keep up the great work.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
Samurai_Crow 
Re: Arix
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 11:54:26
#2 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Based on what I read on Aros-Exec and Amiga.org, it would seem that Arix is just a hybrid between AROS and Linux in the same way that Amithlon was a hybrid between AmigaOS 3 and Linux. It's AROS using drivers from Linux.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 12:46:24
#3 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

they searched for beta-testers and got them. I do not expect new informations in the next weeks

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 12:48:09
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Samurai_Crow

I can almost do that by running AROS hosted on my A1 Linux, so what's the point?

I find it interesting how a discussion about running OS4 the same way by making Exec a wrapper for a Linux kernel came about the same time as this Arix thing.

Is there any more info on it? When I looked at their site last and first time all I could see were partial pictures of an AROS desktop and no textual info giving any clue what it was about at all. If that is how they treat us, either on purpose or through disorganisation, I'm not going to be bothered looking them up again.

Last edited by Hypex on 10-Dec-2013 at 12:49 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 14:17:33
#5 ]
Elite Member

geez still no official announcement

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

CritAnime 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 16:23:16
#6 ]
Cult Member

Well my interest is waning. I figured there would be more info available about this project especially given the countdown timer and stuff on the site before launch. I'm sure someone will be along eventually to fill in gaps but I wonder how much interest will remain when that happens.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 16:30:34
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

from a marketing point of view it was indeed (politely) "strange"

regarding technical base there was a small discussion between Aslak and Michalsc

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=38282&forum=2&start=320&viewmode=flat&order=0

ferrels 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 17:22:58
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:
Based on what I read on Aros-Exec and Amiga.org, it would seem that Arix is just a hybrid between AROS and Linux in the same way that Amithlon was a hybrid between AmigaOS 3 and Linux. It's AROS using drivers from Linux.

It's actually a bit more than just AROS using Linux drivers. Arix is composed of 3 major components with AROS sitting on top of a shim or API translation layer. Beneath that is a modified Linux kernel. Some have called it a dual kernel OS, but that's a bit misleading because it's one kernel having it's API calls translated by the shim so that the Linux kernel sitting below it can understand it and act accordingly and handle all the hardware. As a user of Aros I have to say that Arix is a very smart move in the long-term. Smart because it allows software development for AROS to continue independently of OS and driver development. This will allow the AROS OS developers to continue working on AROS native SMP and broader driver support while at the same time giving application developers a much more stable development platform using Arix.

Arix also has the advantage of better performance than Aros hosted because Arix is not running in a VM. I was initially very critical of Arix, but that was due to some misleading statements made by folks that I won't mention here. But after seeing Dr. Schulz's remarks I have a much better opinion of Arix and a better understanding of why it's a better choice than hosted-AROS...at least for me and until there's a native AROS with SMP and better driver support anyway.

Last edited by ferrels on 10-Dec-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 10-Dec-2013 at 05:27 PM.

EDanaII 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 17:44:52
#9 ]

@ ferrels, Quote:
But after seeing Dr. Schulz's remarks I have a much better opinion of Arix and a better understanding of why it's a better choice than hosted-AROS...at least for me and until there's a native AROS with SMP and better driver support anyway.

Well, I'm glad to see someone has changed their tune. :) Not that I blame you for being negative. In Miggy-land, it's wise to reserve judgement. It's just that you were so relentless in your negativity so early on...

Speaking for myself, I still remain skeptical about Arix and will do so until I can get my hands on it. Hopefully, soon, as I signed up for beta on day one. We shall see then how good a product it is.

I want them to succeed, but their success is solely up to them. :)

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 17:51:49
#10 ]
Elite Member

@EDanaII

I think there would have been less discussions if they had published the informations either on their website or in a open letter. A couple of pages descibing what they want to do, Relation to AROS, technical descriptions and business model. Doing a countdown and then publish nothing was not a good idea.

EDanaII 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 18:20:03
#11 ]

Granted. But to be honest, I'd rather they concentrate on getting the product right. If they do, the PR shouldn't matter. The operative word there being "shouldn't."

If you recall, MichalSC said that his University work, of late, was keeping him busy, so... I expect this whole thing to be further delayed. I suspect that may be one of the areas where they fumbled the PR ball. In other words, they thought they were going to be ready, set their count-down and then reality reared it's ugly little head. :)

Once again, I'm not going to fault them for this. As I suggested before, this is just a bunch of guys working in their eGarage trying to produce something they want and hoping we will want it too.

If I fault them for anything, it's probably an over-eagerness to share that with the rest of us. But as I suggested to you before, what if it never shows up? My life will certainly be no different than it was before...

klx300r 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 18:25:25
#12 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@EDanaII

I think there would have been less discussions if they had published the informations either on their website or in a open letter. A couple of pages descibing what they want to do, Relation to AROS, technical descriptions and business model. Doing a countdown and then publish nothing was not a good idea.

very true.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 11-Dec-2013 2:36:01
#13 ]
Elite Member

Just give it two weeks please.

:)

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 11-Dec-2013 at 02:36 AM.

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 12-Dec-2013 2:27:50
#14 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

Two More Weeks????

** Smacks @DiscreetFX upside the head with a checkerboard nerfbat. **

amigang 
Posted on 12-Dec-2013 10:45:51
#15 ]
Elite Member

I kinda feel bad for finding out about the site, it was and is pretty clear they are still not ready to talk about what it is they are working on, strange if you ask me to publish more info in a forum than on there web site, I wish them luck but they are not off to a great start, specially if this is meant to be a commercial effort.

Last edited by amigang on 12-Dec-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Dec-2013 12:48:40
#16 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Thanks for the info. At this point I womder if there are any plans for Amithlon integration in either Arix or AROS? That is support for x86 native Amiga binaries?

pixie 
Posted on 12-Dec-2013 13:14:20
#17 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

Perhaps, but then again we live in amiga land, people moan just about anything.

OlafS25 
Posted on 12-Dec-2013 16:32:14
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

You mix the concepts. AROS (and the same for ARIX) can only run software that is compiled for the target platform, f.e. on ARM you can only run software that is compiled for ARM, the same for X86 and so on. The only exception is 68k that either runs on emulation (on X86, X64, PPC, ARM) or native when running on supported 68k hardware. Amithlon (as far as I know) translates 68k in X86 code using a special closed source JIT. That is not possible on AROS but (as long as the sources are available) not necessary either. To answer the question you cannot run X86 compiled software on f.e. ARM (Android...).

Arko 
Posted on 12-Dec-2013 21:20:32
#19 ]

@pixie

Quote:

pixie wrote:

Perhaps, but then again we live in amiga land, ...

Where things are coming late or never.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

broadblues 
Posted on 13-Dec-2013 2:03:15
#20 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@g01df1sh

The countdown to nothing was a bit of a PR blunder (unless they were being ironic in some way) but otherwise why give them a hard time? The amiga world is no worse off without them than it was when we didn't know about them, they haven't ripped anybody off, haven't even really promised anything, When they come back with whatever it is, try it out if your interested, in the mean time play with waht we;ve got.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle