Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 144 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  7 secs ago
 Gunnar:  12 mins ago
 Hypex:  33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  51 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  AmigaOS4+ skins released for free in .PSD file by Nykk Deetronic
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
djnick 
AmigaOS4+ skins released for free in .PSD file by Nykk Deetronic
Posted on 1-Jan-2014 22:44:27
#1 ]
Cult Member

Hello Amiga World.

I've decided to release Adobe Photoshop [.PSD] file with 6 groupped layers of AmigaOS4+ skins for free so one day programmers with free will and with lots of free time might implement my idea into AmigaOS4+ that failed in past 2 [or more] years. As you all know - I am not programmer and I was asking for help numerous times from AOS core programmers to help me implement those skins into the system - but all I received was response from few developers that AmigaOS is a very complicated system for skinning and any modification will require over a month of tweaking to get desired result based on my graphic suggestions. Colors pens are the biggest problem and they are working on it to find a solution.

As I don`t have that [much] free time, I am donating my work in Adobe Photoshop .PSD format to Amiga community and hope that some day somebody will implement those skins the way I wanted during installation: [Let's imagine that my theme is named "Crystal":]

- Use Crystal theme settings for your MUI?
- Use Crystal theme for your AmiDock? [user's Amidock settings should be replaced to SYS: instead AmigaOS: [my setup] so other Amiga users will have the same graphics settings and icon sets like me - this is limit of Amidock program, and it works this way]
- Use Crystal theme for Filer program? [use colors or full Filer settings with matched colors from my theme sets palette]
- Use Crystal theme pointer graphics? [use my PNG pointers with dropshadow]. The same goes for Workbench TopBar - it must cast a dropshadow. For some reason I can't see / view it.
- Use Crystal's Black Theme for your Shell? [or other themes, if they are possible to create, so instead Black, there will be Gray, Dark Green, Dark Blue etc, as Shell background, with transparency, only if it is possible]
- Add MUI prefs to your MUI: directory? Prefs file will be called "Crystal.prefs".
- Add BootSound samples

During [let's say Crystal theme set] installation, programmed script should rename ALL users prefs to .old and copy Crystal's prefs instead.

I've included free fonts from www.dafont.com but HelveticaNeue isn't free [I was using for headers and text] so I couldn`t include them.

You are free to use my themes into AmigaOS implementation if you like them but you will need to credit me somewhere in documentation:

Theme graphics by Nykk Deetronic
www.djnick.rs | www.deetronic.rs | www.youtube.com/djnykk[/b]

DOWNLOADING LINK:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30503381/AmigaOS4%2Bskins_by_Nykk_Deetronic.zip

All best in new 2014!

Nykk // Deetronic

Profile     Report this post  
tekmage 
Re: AmigaOS4+ skins released for free in .PSD file by Nykk Deetronic
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 4:01:39
#2 ]

@djnick

My favorite is BlueGlass. Thanks for sharing the elements. I hope someone can craft these in to proper themes. It's great work.

Cheers,
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Channel_Z 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 5:22:33
#3 ]

@djnick

"For free"? Isn't this part of the actual job you accepted to do when you made the community buy you a OS4 computer?

imagodespira 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 8:41:19
#4 ]

Sorry, that i write here. I dont want to flame, should only be a critic... again as in our last emails.

First: You dont have to code only one single line for a normal theme. You only have to write a script for making the Things you want possible (changing amidock, shell etc.)

But you are the only one who write it again and again and stopped working 2 years ago. For a release of a theme like your mockups you only have to spend time and work in gui, palette, look at the color pens and understand some behaviors and depencies.

People would be happy to have nice themes but for you it is not possible without changing system relevant things... strange. People bevore you did some themes without the whole stuff (Helge, Amigtheme.. but it hate this one)

All you need is here: http://amitheme.amiga-ng.org/index_en.php?nom_du_menu=tuto_en
You know this page, i followed all postings here in the forum.

We have some limitations in our amigaos, that is true but for a normal theme it is very good. No need to change AmiDock backgrounds ore earthmap in language settings, that are all things users can do.

Only release a good theme for MUI + Reaction is possible and thats your work.

Quote:
but all I received was response from few developers that AmigaOS is a very complicated system for skinning and any modification will require over a month of tweaking to get desired result based on my graphic suggestions

It is not complicated, it is only time... time you dont want to spent i think. And i dont understand why some else should spend the time for you. And 2 years could be at least 2-3 good themes.

Quote:
As I don`t have that [much] free time, I am donating my work in Adobe Photoshop .PSD

Thats the point. I think you never have realized that is so (much) work before you get your Sam for it ant wrote you make the best theme ever, better than MacOS. And now you "Donate"it, it is a great gift ;) sorry!

Sometimes one step back would bring good finished things. I really enjoy some of your designs, that is not the point.

@All: Please fill this topic more, it is just my opinion and not direct against the person itself. But sometimes it is also to much djnick on every page, advertising and big words. Other people would be glad to get a Sam and work on a project. I worked 4 years with a borrowed sam before i could afford an own. So people who get one should be proud that the community are so strong and sometimes blind of big hopes.

So good luck djnick, i hope sometimes you bring a nice theme. And again, it is not against your person.

tommysammy 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 10:39:30
#5 ]
Cult Member

@djnick

Why don`t you use Save_Theme and Use-Theme Script from Crystal Theme?
That is all what you need for your new skins

tommysammy 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 10:59:07
#6 ]
Cult Member

@djnick

You can send all themes to me and i will try to create an installer for it

Tomppeli 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 12:37:49
#7 ]

I hate when theme installers changes my prefs settings. We would need a dedicated theme installer tool.

Daedalus 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 13:15:37
#8 ]

@djnick

While many people here (myself included) appreciate the good work you have done in creating these graphics, it was suggested several times in the past that you could simply create the graphics and send them to someone to compile a theme from them. People offered their time, and in this thread people have again offered to do this for you. As well as that, I don't know who told you that creating the themes was difficult and takes months - I did one just to see if it could be done by taking one of the many existing themes and just replacing the graphics in that. It was admittedly ugly as I do not have your talent for creating graphics, but it worked fine and took all of one day. It certainly didn't take months of "programming" or anything...

I'm sorry, I just don't see what the big issue is or was. I can only hope that now, if you do get an X1000, that you're maybe able to try again and use existing themes as a base. Or if not, send them to someone to make into a theme for you, and you just concentrate on making nice graphics. But, I can't imagine what you might need an X1000 for in that case...

broadblues 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 13:20:27
#9 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Tomppeli

Quote:

I hate when theme installers changes my prefs settings. We would need a dedicated theme installer tool.

Themes are sets of preference settings so how on earth are you going to install them without changing the prefs?

djnick 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 13:43:06
#10 ]
Cult Member

@tommysammy

Excellent! Then please download Crystal theme from me from OS4depot, get this PSD files and try to create installer the way I suggested. I really want to have backgrounds on 1920x1080 [HD] and installer should ask all questions I suggested [with Yes / No requester]. The main problem with colors are Pens - Some are locked and some are not. So it was impossible to create good looking theme that will look well in Filer. Or if it looks well in Filer - it will ruin some colors / pens on other windows... Total madness, so I know, believe me - after spending 6 or more months - I think it was a total waste of time... Thats why I asked for programming help...

MichaelMerkel 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 13:47:32
#11 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@Tomppeli

Quote:

Themes are sets of preference settings so how on earth are you going to install them without changing the prefs?

i gues he means that the prefs are actually stored on disk. i remember some theme installers doing exatly this. not nice.
one theme belongs to exactly one directory on disk. it should include an "activator" script which just copies the relevant preference files to env:sys. maybe additionally one script which also persists the settings. but not necessarily.

regards...
michael

djnick 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 13:47:36
#12 ]
Cult Member

@imagodespira

In current link: http://amitheme.amiga-ng.org/index_en.php?nom_du_menu=tuto_en there is NO HD resolution - 1920x1080 - I've tried to add that resolution numerous of times - it just won`t work. Also its installer asks someting on French [!?] or other Dutch? language I couldn`t understand so all works except few other steps.

Also each reboot makes colors look different [when follow instructions].

Every 3rd reboot makes my mouse has OR has not been changed. Very very very strange.

And some other problems I currently forgot but that is why I avoided this guide as it was not well written.

Believe me, if somebody wastes time on themes - it was me. And what is the point to have just background change when all other colors, listers etc are on different style and coloring? If I do a theme I want to do it fully. If user don`t want me to change their Docky colors [not programs settings, only colors - backgrounds!] - user can select from installer. This is why I wanted installer.

I've tried to do installer - it just mess too much so I quit. I really couldn`t find a solution. My experience - creating theme was 20x easier on Nokia phone [entering into its root and swapping files] than on Amiga 10 years later... A nightmare [my experience]...

MichaelMerkel 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 13:49:00
#13 ]
Cult Member

@tommysammy
Quote:

tommysammy wrote:
@djnick

You can send all themes to me and i will try to create an installer for it

i may be wrong but that's the problem.
there is no theme yet. just the mockups?

regards...
michael

djnick 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 13:49:43
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

Ok. Then can you create any theme from my PSD file? You have graphics, just take one day to create a theme. Can you do it?

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 14:08:38
#15 ]
Cult Member

@djnick

So, you got a sam for free, and even need other people to finish the job for you?. IMHO if you weren't capable of the work, shouldn't have asked for it in the first place.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

Signal 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 14:19:33
#16 ]
Cult Member

@_ThEcRoW

How was he to know that before trying?

Perhaps he only needs to backup and start again along different path.

djnick 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 14:30:25
#17 ]
Cult Member

@_ThEcRoW

I am capable of designing, music composing, animating... but not coding. And people keep asking me to do coding. Incredible...

olegil 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 14:37:07
#18 ]
Elite Member

@djnick

I'm pretty certain you're the only one who claims you need coding to make skins.

But making skins is not the same as making a drawing, things need to be broken up into the blocks needed by the various GUI elements. It sounds to me like you cannot live with restrictions, which Amiga (and C64, to an even larger extent) graphics is ALL about.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

djnick 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 14:43:46
#19 ]
Cult Member

@olegil

In each directory on Amiga Skins I left one .PSD file so I can easily change theme after 1st one that is 100% working [installation and deinstallation] - but still even my Crystal one, default theme, seems to be "large" and "memory consuming". So after many many months of writing emails, nobody seems to help but complains.

Thats why I released PSD file so if you have free time - go and play. I just don`t.

Ok back to work now.

cheesegrate 
Posted on 2-Jan-2014 15:18:19
#20 ]

@signal
Quote:
How was he to know that before lying?

fixed that for you.

@djnick
Quote:
so if you have free time - go and play. I just don`t.

Maybe you should send the sam460 to someone to 'go and play', after all isin't that why people put in money to supply you a sam, so you would play and create some skins? Also you did not inform people that you already had a powerpc machine running os4 that you subsequently sold for financial gain after accepting the free sam? Sorry posting club drug music and saying i am busy is not meeting your responsibilties towards the people that gave their hard earned money to you.

Are you going to sell vox x1000 and keep the money too?

Last edited by cheesegrate on 02-Jan-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Last edited by cheesegrate on 02-Jan-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Last edited by cheesegrate on 02-Jan-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Last edited by cheesegrate on 02-Jan-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by cheesegrate on 02-Jan-2014 at 03:19 PM.

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle