Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  6 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  6 mins ago
 zipper:  11 mins ago
 OlafS25:  13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  15 mins ago
 Rob:  28 mins ago
 matthey:  35 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  How big is the OS4.x hardware market?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
itix 
Re: How big is the OS4.x hardware market?
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 13:37:35
#61 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

ACube can have success in the PPC embedded market but A-eon cant. The industrial sector dont need PPC desktop computers.

Profile     Report this post  
scabit 
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 19:28:44
#62 ]

@cymru

Quote:
NeXT?

You're saying that AOS4 has sold more hardware units than NeXT?

Even at a cost of "US$6,500." (per Wikipedia), Steve was able to sell more of those NeXT boat anchors than OS4 systems have sold. and that was in 1988. Given the value of inflation, that would be $12,900 USD today. According to wikipedia, " estimates of about 50,000 units shipped in total." of the NeXT computer.
If 50,000 X1000s sold today for $12,900 each....we'd have something! We'd call it a huge success, a resurgence. A new dawn for the Amiga.....

If only Steve Jobs had bought out the Amiga instead of Ainc.....ah well.....

Scott

Toaks 
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 20:13:41
#63 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

just to have said it, 14 years ago there was no Software market left on the Amiga, a blockbuster AAA game wasn't possible to do without a loss and expecting sales anywhere beyond 500 copies was plain fantasy...

Now the market is even smaller and especially now that there is 3 or even 4 communities and all in all i would not expect to sell more than 50 copies of a commerical game on the Amiga plattforms..... and there you have it , this is why we are stuck in the past on the software front for both games and programs/apps.

i have huge respect for all the guys out there trying to do proper tools and stuff and i try to support every single one out there and i wish others would do the same.

danwood 
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 22:15:20
#64 ]

@scabit

Quote:

He wasn't impressed with the Amiga, "too much hardware".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Amiga#Amiga_Corporation

Last edited by danwood on 31-Mar-2014 at 10:16 PM.

cymru 
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 22:37:27
#65 ]

@scabit

Quote:
You're saying that AOS4 has sold more hardware units than NeXT? Even at a cost of "US$6,500." (per Wikipedia), Steve was able to sell more of those NeXT boat anchors than OS4 systems have sold. and that was in 1988. Given the value of inflation, that would be $12,900 USD today. According to wikipedia, " estimates of about 50,000 units shipped in total." of the NeXT computer. If 50,000 X1000s sold today for $12,900 each....we'd have something! We'd call it a huge success, a resurgence. A new dawn for the Amiga..

Funny, did I say that? Your vision must be much better than mine!

Last edited by cymru on 31-Mar-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Nagasakee 
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 23:40:35
#66 ]

@amigadave

Good questions, as usual, Dave. I personally don't think the Cyrus market will attract a lot of existing AmigaOne X1000 owners because the X5000 isn't a clearly superior machine. It seems it is more of an equivalent machine due to shortages and pricing on the Pa6T.

The hope would be from classic Amiga users, if they can afford to play in the NG world, or if they can...if they feel they are getting value. I don't see a lot of new users coming to OS4 at a time where the desktop and the OS's are being diminished by the main players in the computing culture.

I bought an X1000, and with Cygnix and now with Odessey 1.23 in place I am pretty/very happy overall. Good quality machine, and really good support from AmigaKit , A-EON and Hyperion's board too. Best Amiga I have ever owned, and years ago I used to be a Commodore/Amiga dealer in Clearwater, Florida for many years so have used them all. The X1000 is a really good Amiga.

I'm hopeful for LibreOffice soon, 4.2, and better printer suport. I saw the Radeon driver just released, and of course Kas1e's/Fab's 1.23 browser so there *is* some movement going on.

Probably the Amiga market stays around 1000-5000 total (with all current flavors) and won't grow unless there is marketing, cheaper pricing or better features. I don't see a marketing budget or cheaper pricing in the immediate future. I'm ok with that, as log as we support our developers with finances and encouragement, I do think more will come. The AmiStore may really help here.

As Amigakit has implied/stated, it's now on the software and application side...

Last edited by Nagasakee on 01-Apr-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Last edited by Nagasakee on 31-Mar-2014 at 11:42 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 23:50:48
#67 ]
Amiga Kit

@Nagasakee

Thanks for your feedback - glad you are enjoying the X1000.

The release of RadeonHD v1.0 for free for all AmigaONE X1000 users today is just the beginning of many new software releases for A-EON Technology customers. AMIStore will be next.

cymru 
Posted on 1-Apr-2014 0:18:03
#68 ]

@scabit

Quote:

scabit wrote:
@cymru

Quote:
NeXT?

You're saying that AOS4 has sold more hardware units than NeXT?

Even at a cost of "US$6,500." (per Wikipedia), Steve was able to sell more of those NeXT boat anchors than OS4 systems have sold. and that was in 1988. Given the value of inflation, that would be $12,900 USD today. According to wikipedia, " estimates of about 50,000 units shipped in total." of the NeXT computer.
If 50,000 X1000s sold today for $12,900 each....we'd have something! We'd call it a huge success, a resurgence. A new dawn for the Amiga.....

Scott

Apple III/Lisa?

amigadave 
Posted on 1-Apr-2014 1:46:51
#69 ]

@Nagasakee

I too am an owner of an X1000 and also, like you, believe that the new Cyrus based systems will be more of an equivalent system, than a huge step forward. The clock speed might be a bit faster as well as the memory bus and perhaps the RAM speed itself, but I don't expect the overall performance of the Cyrus based systems to be significantly faster than my X1000. In fact, the X1000 might actually be faster in some circumstances, or particular test results.

I totally agree with your assessment of the quality of the X1000 hardware and it's overall design, plus the excellent support from A-Eon and AmigaKit. I can easily recommend the X1000 to any other Amiga users who are considering purchasing a Next Gen Amiga system (of course I also highly recommend that people interested in any NG Amiga systems take a long look at MorphOS3.x and the price of the hardware it runs on).

Now that we have decent hardware available, the thing that is going to get us a few hundred new users is software and the increase in features of AmigaOS4.x itself. If/When Hyperion is able to implement some kind of useful multiple core processing, without completely breaking backward compatibility, then we will see just how many existing and former Classic Amiga users become interested in buying an AmigaOS4.x compatible system.

Even before that, the completion of Libre Office port to AmigaOS4.x and a more modern printer driver system, will make a huge difference in how users perceive the NG Amiga experience.

@Toaks,

Did what you wrote have anything to do with my original post? Perhaps you should have just started your own thread to get those statements off your chest.

broadblues 
Posted on 1-Apr-2014 8:48:45
#70 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@amigadave

Dave said:
Quote:

Now that we have decent hardware available, the thing that is going to get us a few hundred new users is software and the increase in features of AmigaOS4.x itself.

Dave then said:
Quote:

@Toaks,

Did what you wrote have anything to do with my original post? Perhaps you should have just started your own thread to get those statements off your chest.

Trixie 
Posted on 1-Apr-2014 9:17:48
#71 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@amigadave

I do consider myself a prospective Cyrus buyer in a 2-3 years' timeframe. But I'm overally happy with my Sam Flex, which is fine for my coding and will hopefully last a few more years. I don't have any plans (or money) for the X1000 at the present time.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Vistaus 
Posted on 1-Apr-2014 10:50:13
#72 ]

@scabit

Not that I believe that 50,000 AOS4 units have shipped, but I don't get why you're only counting in the X1000? The X1000 is not the only AOS4 unit, you know...

Robert 
Posted on 2-Apr-2014 14:04:53
#73 ]
Cult Member

@Xmas87

Quote:
I assume most ACTIVE users will have registered at the Hyperion Support forum, I use that as my active user guesstimator*. There are 583 registered users there.

I'm registered there but couldn't really say I'm active anymore.
I still have my A1XE (OS4.0) and my Peg1 but I haven't switched either on for a couple of months.
I'm mostly on OSX these days.

Abel Soul - Check out our tunes on Spotify

Daedalus 
Posted on 2-Apr-2014 15:18:44
#74 ]

@Robert

Likewise, I'm registered there but don't often visit. I certainly wouldn't be considered "active", however I do use my A1-XE most days...

broadblues 
Posted on 2-Apr-2014 16:02:16
#75 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Daedalus

Quote:

I certainly wouldn't be considered "active", however I do use my A1-XE most days...

If that's not active I don't what is!

Daedalus 
Posted on 2-Apr-2014 16:53:29
#76 ]

@broadblues

What I mean is that you couldn't judge whether I'm an active OS4 user or not purely based on how often I log into the Hyperion forum. I'm very much an active user, but I think the only real way I show up statistically is by my telling people or by my AmiUpdate downloads, and I don't think they're public knowledge.

Yep, reading that previous post back now, it was one of my more ambiguous mumblings... Sorry about that! I meant "Active" on the Hyperion forum.

Last edited by Daedalus on 02-Apr-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Amigo1 
Posted on 2-Apr-2014 18:19:31
#77 ]

@amigakit

I will buy an A1X1000 this year. The cyrus is to far away still.

amigadave 
Posted on 2-Apr-2014 18:25:36
#78 ]

@broadblues

You are right, I am guilty of responding to one or two of the other Off Topic remarks in this thread.

I just did not see the point of Toaks post, but maybe I did not read and think about it carefully enough. I should not have singled out his off topic post while ignoring, or responding to all the rest of the off topic posts.

I am surprised that more members have not answered my original question and posted their guesses of how many users they think will purchase a Cyrus based system within the 4 to 5 years after it is released (since AmigaKit have stated that their plans are to produce Cyrus based systems over a 5 year lifespan).

Like I wrote before, I should have just made this a simple Poll, asking how many Cyrus based systems other members here thought could be sold in the future.

Will the proposed Libre Office and new printer driver software projects (when completed) and the new features of AmigaOS4.2 (also when completed) be sufficiently interesting to generate a few hundred new users (probably from the Classic Amiga userbase) who will be able to afford a Cyrus based system (also when available)? If all goes well in a "best case" scenario, could that number of new users or potential buyers, be more than 1,000?

I think these are valid questions, though I know that no one has any real answers. I am just interested in what other members here think about these numbers.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 2-Apr-2014 18:44:55
#79 ]

@amigadave

I think it will be a tall order for A-eon/Amigakit to sell Cyrus to the OS4 market. The market for expensive AOS4 machines is saturated with X1000, and I doubt much of the current X1000 owners will feel the need to spend another 2000+ $ for a machine that is not meaningfully faster than their X1000.
And Cyrus, being more expensive than SAMs, will not be able to provide SAM owners with an easy, achievable upgrade route.

djrikki 
Posted on 2-Apr-2014 18:45:16
#80 ]
Elite Member

I had a long conversation with Matthew Leaman only last week - in regard to the future. Once the building blocks fall in place what we need to begin to see is developer activity increasing. But also why wait? We discussed the merits of Hollywood+MUI and how little activity there has been of late. Its okay to have an AppStore, but we need new software, new blood, new activity, how will this be encouraged? That I do not know.

If YOU'VE ever thought about writing a game or app the easiest route to learning is Hollywood at this time so find the time to learn and buy it now there are plenty of Hollywood developers who will be happy to answer questions on the forum including myself.

Last edited by djrikki on 02-Apr-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Last edited by djrikki on 02-Apr-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle