Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  1 min ago
 BigD:  42 mins ago
 OlafS25:  44 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  [Open Source] AmiDARK Engine Bug report fixing
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
Daytona675x 
Re: [Open Source] AmiDARK Engine Bug report fixing
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 10:38:27
#101 ]

@Minuous
+1

@Britelite
+1

@OlafS25
@Birbo
@AmiDARK
@etc
Quote:
you remind me of a wolve chasing a animal or a bullterrier biting in the leg.

Well, apparently at least one donator decided to withdraw his money. For a reason. And it certainly wasn't because of AmiDark's and my personal issues (and please: only because you think I'm the stronger one (wolve) of us , I didn't start this war; I started to review it and he started to piss me off. Bad luck for AmiDark when he starts messing with me and cannot handle the echo And may I remind you who restarted that mess after about 20 days of silence? Go to page 4 and check it out; despite all personal issues I at least continued to be constructive btw. , actually way more constructive than AmiDARK himself... )

Maybe, just maybe, it probably was because the donator thought that the bounty was not fullfilled? Or probably because AmiDark pretty clearly showed that he neither has the guts nor the capability to fix it?

You may twist and turn it as much as you want. The only one who's responsable for the bounty being canceled is... tata... AmiDARK himself. Honor to whom honor is due!

And if you looked at it objectively:
BSZili, zzd10h and me where the ones who actually helped improving his code-mess! Where were you when AmiDark Engine needed you??? Did you at least donate something? But better let it be a huge amount because the time we three invested amounts...

Quote:
the donators knew that they would not get anything useful

Actually the sole fact that somebody withdrawed his money indicates that your opinion here is not true. So, maybe you should stop talking for everybody

Last edited by Daytona675x on 14-Feb-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Birbo 
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 11:12:26
#102 ]
Cult Member

@Daytona675x

You don't understand.

It is not about the review - it is about your agressive style.

You have been constantly bashing AmiDARK.

If you don't get it, I can't help you any more.

Daytona675x 
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 11:28:43
#103 ]

@Birbo
If you'd take your time to take a look at the whole story then even you'd probably realize that there are two people involved here and that AmiDark isn't the poor guy here (he's just the lame guy).
But whatever: it remains a fact that this bounty wasn't canceled because of personal issues - even if AmiDark wants to make it appear this way
Quote:
If you don't get it, I can't help you any more.
Don't worry, you were of no help on this topic before neither

Last edited by Daytona675x on 14-Feb-2015 at 11:31 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 11:53:09
#104 ]

@Daytona675x
Could you describe me as "Laie" / "Noob" how the state of the engine is right now?

ASiegel 
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 12:15:12
#105 ]

All donors have been contacted by now.

If you are a donor but have not received an email regarding your donation, please check your spam folder. Thank you.

Despite the cancellation, we would still like to thank everyone who contributed financially to support the project. Furthermore, we would like to thank all developers who spent any time inspecting or improving the source code during the public review process.

Daytona675x 
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 17:16:37
#106 ]

@phoenixkonsole
Quote:
Could you describe me as "Laie" / "Noob" how the state of the engine is right now?

Of course.
I checked the following sections of AmigaDark Engine's most crucial shared sources plus some other related areas. Here are the links to the respective reviews:

Core, Text, Basic2D, Bitmap, Camera, System, File (only half the source checked)
And some unsorted stuff.
I always mentioned whether a bug has to be considered critical or not, what's the cause and where it's happening. As you can see there is a very huge amount of critical things here. And I must repeat: I only mentioned the obvious bugs, the ones that leaped to my eye immediately! There's certainly much more.

Anyway, what I found out already proves that the library is not usable and actually not even near what you'd call "beta" state (although that's the description used for the download links). A "beta" should usually be feature complete at least. It may still contain bugs, yes, but not such a massive amount of bugs. In fact the engine is not even near as feature complete as the bounty's description wants to make you believe. Same goes for the documentation (side-note: the source-code is practically undocumented).
And regarding the number of bugs: all in all there were more flawed functions than working functions in the source areas I checked.

This cannot be considered "beta". This can at best be considered "early alpha".
Furthermore the source code's structure is quite messy: duplicate structure definitions, no organisation into implementation and header files, etc.

Yes, it did compile and so did the demos. But as I explained here that doesn't mean a lot. In fact every program using the library in its current shape triggers what you call "undefined behaviour".
You can not use the lib and expect to get stable programs / programs that do what you want them to do.

And that's not my personal opinion. That's hard facts and (almost ) every coder looking at the source will come to the same conclusion.
Now let's take those facts and compare them against the bounty's description. Since I did not check everything I'll only comment on the parts where I can give 100% secured statements:

Quote:
Initially, the AmiDARK Engine was developed to bring a game development kit to Amiga systems that is compatible with the DarkGDK product from TheGameCreators (and later, with Dark Basic Professional with an integrated development environment (IDE) to be set up after the completion of the GDK).
This statement is false since for example DBP doesn't have a 256 character string limitation. That string limitation and its inconsequent implementation is one (not the only one) root of evil for the totally flawed text functions.

Quote:
Current Development State
You may take every sub-topic here and check that against my analysis, for example this one:

Quote:
Text command set, which handles the output of on-screen text in an AmiDARK Engine application
Everyone reading this description as written here would think that the Text command set is (at least almost) working.
This is not the case, it is extremely buggy. And it is the same with all things mentioned here.

Quote:
The current build contains a total of 705 commands / functions out of 1137 that had originally been planned.
These numbers are misleading.
1. many functions are dupes and only differ in their function name's captial letters style.
2. if you read that sentence you'd certainly asume that 705 command are (at least amost) working. That's not true. A very huge amount is unusable in the one way or the other.

Quote:
The engine contains a partial HTML documentation explaining how the commands / functions work (632 commands / functions done)
Similar issue, the number is misleading. The documentation probably contains 632 entries, yes, but most are near to useless. Most often no real explanation is provided but just a list of the function name and the parameters. Most often there's no information on what are valid input values etc.
This is not what you'd expect if you read that sentence.

Conclusion:
Sum all this up and the only verdict you can come to is: bounty not fulfilled.

If there had been a big fat blinking notice on top of the bounty's description saying
Important: This is a highly unstable early alpha / prototype library you cannot use at this time and it will require lots of work to get into a useful state
I would say: okay, bounty fulfilled.
But since that's not the case and considering the current code's quality I truely understand why somebody withdraws his donation. In fact I can only recommend to do so (not even considering AmiDarks behaviour).

If somebody donated in hope of getting a nice game engine: would have been a bad awakening.
If somebody donated in hope of getting at least a base for a game engine: would have been a bad awakening, would have been much more work to get this stable / feature complete than you might have guessed from the bounty's description.

And if somebody donated for charity: nobody deters your from sending AmiDark your cash in a different way.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 17:20:06
#107 ]

@Daytona675x
uff ... (uff = german for a very negatively biased wow)

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 14-Feb-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 18:10:45
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Daytona675x

Wish he'd appreciated the time you'd spent reviewing the code and taken onboard your feedback rather than go on the defensive, it would have helped his development no end.

@AmiDARK

I know it can be hard to take criticism when you've worked long and hard to create something but I hope you will consider what has been written. I think there are quite a few people who would like to see this engine full-featured, stable and well documented.

The demos you provided show a lot of promise.

noXLar 
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 18:28:14
#109 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

+1

rolpho 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 16:04:33
#110 ]

@Rob

+1 as well.

It's pitty for such amiga-based-engine, and some unecessary @#$!%^ flame, what's pity to read.
BTW: I know from experience & few known people - the engines used in not a few "great" modern games, You've been played/heard about, or even 3d drivers of few known companies ;), were so damn buggy, so that it went to many strange "movements" of their productions or further faith, You wouldn't expect.

Last edited by rolpho on 21-Feb-2015 at 04:05 PM.

D6 TEAM

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle