Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pavlor

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  1 min ago
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  3 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Entertainment is not bankrupt
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )
PosterThread
ferrels 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment bankrupt?
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 1:26:51
#1381 ]
Cult Member

@klx300r

Quote:

klx300r wrote:
Quote:

ferrels wrote:

...A-Eon would be better served by going with x86 AROS but then they'd alienate their fanatical PPC customer base who paid ridiculous sums of money for the X1000. But hey, it worked for Apple when they finally saw that PPC CPUs had come to the end of the road. So why not for A-Eon? If they continue to cling to PPC, A-Eon will be headed down the same path as Hyperion.

Just like the A3000 & A4000's when they came out if you think the X1000, A1-500 (Sam460) (or X5000 for that matter) are too expensive then don't buy one...plain and simple..and use what you want.

Keep in mind A-Eon, more specifically Trevor, stated more than once that if the X1000 didn't generate enough interest / revenue for A-Eon then there would be no further investment in new AmigaOne hardware for AmigaOS (aka PPC hardware). So the fact that new boards are being developed means that the above two criteria were met.

x86 AROS has been around for quite a while and it's freely available for people to enjoy with many PC configurations today so what exactly is A-Eon going to manufacture for an open source Amiga inspired OS that isn't already available ? AmigaOS fans have been waiting for new modern hardware to run their favourite OS for many years and A-Eon and ACube thankfully came in and filled the demand.

For ANY Amiga/ Amiga inspired hardware to be successful there must be a DEMAND for it. No demand then no company will produce any goods...basic business/ economic facts

I chose to stop using NG Amigas and OS4 back in 2010. It was a serious waste of money and I'm sure that more and more people will leave them behind. No applications, no 3D, no real tech support, etc....USB support and printing is a joke. More people run Linux on the NG Amigas than OS4 because it at least works and has feature parity with operating systems in this century.

And you're absolutely correct about a demand required for a successful business model. Demand is now almost non-existent for NG hardware as well as OS4....and any existing demand will continue to dwindle.

Just being "different" doesn't cut it as a business model. OS4 needs something that consumers already want or something that will create a demand and cause them to open their wallets. For OS4, that shipped sailed in 2002-2003. And just a few years back, I recall all the marketing hype surrounding the Xena chipset in the x1000. That apparently suckered enough buyers to keep A-Eon afloat but here we are years later and there's not a single feature that uses Xena. I don't think those buyers will be so easily fooled again. A-Eon will have to produce something tangible and competitive in their next round to remain in business for very long. Same can be said for Hyperion.

Last edited by ferrels on 09-Apr-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 09-Apr-2015 at 01:29 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 1:30:08
#1382 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:
Prevailed? Explain how maintaining the status quo is reassuring?

I fail to see how another active Amiga company such as Hyperion going bankrupt would help anyone affiliated to the Amiga platform. Not AROS, not Cloanto and definitely not A-EON; in the process of trying to launch cheaper high end AmigaOne hardware and not ACube. You seem entirely self centred in your comments since you've already given up on OS4.x you seem to want the whole ecosystem to burn?! Sick (not in the good way)! Use your system of choice and stop ranting about people that actively develop Amiga software, that includes Hyperion.

Fransexy 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 1:35:09
#1383 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:
....and the OS will still be stuck in the year 2003

Quote:
...an OS that's stuck in the year 2000...

Quote:
an OS that's a time-warp back to 1995

ferrels 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 1:41:11
#1384 ]
Cult Member

@Fransexy

Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
@ferrels

Quote:
....and the OS will still be stuck in the year 2003

Quote:
...an OS that's stuck in the year 2000...

Quote:
an OS that's a time-warp back to 1995

Ok, it's really stuck in 1995. OS4 doesn't even have rough feature parity with Windows 95.

realize 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 1:41:52
#1385 ]

@Hyperionmp

So Mr. Hermans instead of getting into one on one debate, why dont you enlighten the rest of us what the roadmap is and what the future is going to be? Realistically. Also why dont you go with project moana and release for ppc macs?

So now Hyperion has been in 2 Legal battles and this latest one shows that Somone who probably invested alot of hard earned money in your company just got beat out of any chance of seeing that money. And hasnt this been a track record for you? Owing people money and them never having a chance to see it? There were people that left the project due ot this.

Why do you keep talking of myths about SMP , Gallium, and other nonsense? when have you EVER hit a deliverable date you promised?

So, answer these questions "if you have the balls"

Additionally, just so you know. You only have credibility with fanboys, the real informed amiga developers and community know you never really had it with your Articia S and Morphos stolen code nonsense. So lets be honest and face it.

Im sure you will ignore this post or not answer the questions as usual. More proof

ferrels 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 1:49:01
#1386 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@ferrels

Quote:

I fail to see how another active Amiga company such as Hyperion going bankrupt would help anyone affiliated to the Amiga platform. Not AROS, not Cloanto and definitely not A-EON; in the process of trying to launch cheaper high end AmigaOne hardware and not ACube. You seem entirely self centred in your comments since you've already given up on OS4.x you seem to want the whole ecosystem to burn?! Sick (not in the good way)! Use your system of choice and stop ranting about people that actively develop Amiga software, that includes Hyperion.

You've got to be joking. Active development? A handful of bug fixes and patches in 10 years is development? I see an OS that can't compete with anything in our century, unfulfilled promises for a modern web browser and office suite, and a company in and out of bankruptcy court. And I'm so tired hearing all the misused and cliche buzzwords. Ecosystem, community, blah, blah,blah,...There is no ecosystem and no community. Those disappeared a couple years after Commodore folded. Wake up. It's 2015. And I'm not ranting. I'm just tired of hearing all the lies about what a great OS is found in OS4 and how great the hardware is. It's horrible, and until A-Eon and Hyperion come up with something people can really use and really want, they're destined to meet obscurity sooner rather than later.

Last edited by ferrels on 09-Apr-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 09-Apr-2015 at 01:50 AM.

ferrels 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 1:49:39
#1387 ]
Cult Member

@realize

+5

BigD 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 2:00:02
#1388 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:
And I'm not ranting. I'm just tired of hearing all the lies about what a great OS is found in OS4 and how great the hardware is. It's horrible, and until A-Eon and Hyperion come up with something people can really use and really want, they're destined to meet obscurity sooner rather than later.

If you've given up on OS4.x and you're as disillusioned with it as you sound then take a day off and spend time with your platform of choice. Many of us still value these companies actually developing and selling AmigaOne hardware and software and don't appreciate you blowing off steam when the reality is an Amiga company is NOT bankrupt as some of us feared. This can only be seen as good news and your negativity has no place on a forum where the result has been a positive one. Hyperion get to live another day, the Cyrus boards from A-EON can be released and things can remain positive in the 30th Anniversary year of the Amiga! If you want to get depressed, then do it on your own time and on your own 'I hate it when Amiga companies turn out to be solvent!' thread.

Last edited by BigD on 09-Apr-2015 at 02:00 AM.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 2:14:43
#1389 ]

@Thread,

The road map is plain as day. Replace 68K code and add functionality. Then add more more modern features and Improve it all the time.

It's evident you don't use, care for, or want to improve AOS4. so why bother trying to please you? Your mind will never be changed. Help your used OS and be done with AOS.

My take on the Flak. An old bomber pilot saying, " If your getting flak, you must be over the target. "

Chris

realize 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 2:26:51
#1390 ]

@QuikSanz

Buddy that isnt a roadmap. And I do use os4 for a variety of amiga things which is why i care so much to waste time posting here.

BCP 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 2:39:15
#1391 ]

@BigD

Well said !

It gets very tiresome to read posts like those of Ferrels constantly harping about expensive, underpowered hardware & an OS that lacks everything HE thinks a modern Os must have. I'm quite happy with the X1000 & OS4.1 FE for that it DOES do, I'm not that concerned about what it dos'nt do.

I also have an I7 Vaio & an I5 MacBook Pro. For things that all 3 computers can do I find OS4 on the X1000 more responsive & more enjoyable to use than the other two running Windows 7 or 8 or OsX.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

ferrels 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 2:42:03
#1392 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@ferrels

Quote:
And I'm not ranting. I'm just tired of hearing all the lies about what a great OS is found in OS4 and how great the hardware is. It's horrible, and until A-Eon and Hyperion come up with something people can really use and really want, they're destined to meet obscurity sooner rather than later.

If you've given up on OS4.x and you're as disillusioned with it as you sound then take a day off and spend time with your platform of choice. Many of us still value these companies actually developing and selling AmigaOne hardware and software and don't appreciate you blowing off steam when the reality is an Amiga company is NOT bankrupt as some of us feared. This can only be seen as good news and your negativity has no place on a forum where the result has been a positive one. Hyperion get to live another day, the Cyrus boards from A-EON can be released and things can remain positive in the 30th Anniversary year of the Amiga! If you want to get depressed, then do it on your own time and on your own 'I hate it when Amiga companies turn out to be solvent!' thread.

I like to pop in from time to time just out of morbid curiosity and to inject some sanity into some of the fanatical threads here. I honestly think that some of the more rabid OS4 supporters haven't been allowed outside to play in at least 10 years based on their satisfaction level with OS4. If you're satisfied with less than mediocrity, then you go guy! OS4 isn't going to improve from all the blind worship around here. And certainly not by people like you who want to silence the voices of criticism. And I never used the word hate. You did. You should be careful about labeling people you know nothing about. It shows a lack of willingness or possibly the lack of ability to engage in meaningful exchanges. If the flaws aren't pointed out they won't be addressed.

Last edited by ferrels on 09-Apr-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 09-Apr-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 09-Apr-2015 at 02:44 AM.

sundown 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 2:49:13
#1393 ]
Elite Member

@Pro os4 users

Something is going right if the trolls are unhappy, don't fight them, just enjoy their pain.

realize 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 2:55:58
#1394 ]

@sundown

A thread about hyperion almost going bankrupt and owing yet another debtor. Yeah, times are just peachy. Amazing.

sundown 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 3:00:54
#1395 ]
Elite Member

@realize

"Almost" doesn't count & life goes on...

TrevorDick 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 3:55:44
#1396 ]
Elite Member

I think this thread has run its course.

It turning in a mud slinging contest rather that an open and constuctive debate. It a moot point anyway since Hyperion are apparently not bankrupt.

So just enjoy your hobby, agree to disagree and get on with life.

TrevorD

"Supporting all Amiga-inspired flavours"

(edit: typo)

Last edited by TrevorDick on 09-Apr-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Last edited by TrevorDick on 09-Apr-2015 at 03:56 AM.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 4:23:29
#1397 ]

@TrevorDick,

I'll drink to that,

Chris

ne_one 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 5:03:55
#1398 ]
Cult Member

@ferrels

Quote:

We get the vitriol. But eliminating any party that contributes to the platform is senseless.

Hyperion may not have the legal right to extend platform coverage or the desire to change the path that they have been following. That doesn't make them culpable for the state of the Amiga.

agami 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 6:22:32
#1399 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
Your blind hatred towards me is blinding you from the obvious fact that AmigaOS 4.x development is and has been ongoing.

If by "ongoing" you mean it's going on forever, then yeah, it's patience-stretching ongoing.

Quote:
We just released AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition for a very low price late last year.

You just release a a patch roll-up rehash of development that has already been done, and you charged for it. It would have been more honourable to just ask for a donation.

Quote:
As every betatester can attest, and I am sure you have access to them, there are DAILY updates of the OS for testing purposes.

Beta testers can't attest to anything, you had them sign ridiculous NDAs. Try not being a lawyer for like 10 minutes.

Quote:
This whole notion that Hyperion is sitting on its ass is nonsense.

That notion goes away when there is something else to replace it.

Quote:
Who do you think is working on getting AmigaOS 4.1 on the new A-EON hardware?

Still pushing 4.1? That statement could have redeemed you if it had AmigaOS 4.2 in it.

Yssing 
Posted on 9-Apr-2015 8:10:30
#1400 ]

Please stop all this negativity, we should all be adults.

If some of you don't like AmigaOS4.x then fine, but please respect that there are a lot who do like it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle