Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 124 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  46 mins ago
 vox:  50 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 mbrantley:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  AmiDARK Engine "bouncing" back.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Minuous 
Re: AmiDARK Engine "bouncing" back.
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 11:39:35
#81 ]

>Daytona and Bszili are good coders able to deal with every code you throw at them : p.

Yes. And I am an at-least-average-coder, and would be probably be willing to help AmiDARK find and fix bugs in his engine, and thus improve it, if 3 preconditions were met:

a) obviously source would have to be available or I can't look at it ;-/
b) would need to be convinced that he will take bug reports seriously rather than just rejecting them like he has done with most bug reports from the other coders
c) would need to be convinced that there are actually some other users who are intending to use this program (otherwise it would be a waste of time). This doesn't seem the case at the moment.

Profile     Report this post  
Overflow 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 11:47:53
#82 ]

There is one thing Ive been wondering about;

Power2People, why wasnt the bounty paid out immidiatly after passing the threshold+date?

I wasnt aware it had to pass a "review" after the fact, and it did take quite a bit of time from when the bounty was fullfilled until donations was withdrawn.

Are P2P supposed to sit on the money until they see the result of a 100 page trainwreck on AW?

Daytona675x 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 11:49:54
#83 ]

@AmiDARK
Just found that in my mail, from the donor who withdrew his donation. He asked me to post this:

Quote:
tell the guy this from me (= the guy who dropped his donation):
Don't speculate why I dropped my donation. This is why: you can't cooperate with other coders and they can't cooperate with you. This makes the whole idea of open sourcing AmiDark pointless. Thus it's better to keep your pet project closed source so you can code it however you like, which obiously makes you the most comfortable. Hopefully you can prove the nay-sayers wrong and make something cool out of this. It's up to you now.

I didn't read up yet (and probably won't today) so I don't know which is the correct post to reply to.

Last edited by Daytona675x on 21-Feb-2015 at 11:50 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 12:00:34
#84 ]

@Overflow
P2P need the community to decide if a bounty is successfully competed.
This is normal.

Overflow 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 12:03:00
#85 ]

@phoenixkonsole

Ok, thanks. Odd way of doing it tho...

Last edited by _Steve_ on 07-Mar-2015 at 12:46 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 12:06:02
#86 ]

@Overflow
: ) democratic way of things.

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 12:25:53
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

that sums up my impression what happened in the process

AmiDARK 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 12:36:21
#88 ]

@All :
thank you for helping making the tone more quiet.
And I understand all of your purpose and agree with some of them.

@Daytona675x
Quote:
Tell the guy this from me

If (s)he sent you that message, it's because (s)he know what happened, so, it is a forum member .... Then ... Why don't this donator say it himself/herself ?
Even if we don't understand each other (you and me), I prefer people like you that say things directly than people that hide themselves under others.

@Overflow :
No, even if I found the procedure not totally good, it's important to makes the donator know what they paid for. But maybe, this situation may help P2P to improve the procedure regarding some specific kind of bounty projects.

@Overflow & PhoenixKonsole & OlagS25 :
The body can be buried.... The soul remain free.

@All :
I consider bug seriously. But never forget, if somebody say "your baby has an ugly face!" ... How will you emotionnaly react ? And if these people continue ... How will you react ? Even if it's true! Always see the two sides of a coin.
If people really look carefully "words and acts", you may notice that I have already fixed some bugs. And I started fix bugs during the review period. The "improvements" are not a priority for now. They will be later.
I will continue fix others on my free time.
But for now ... I doubt I will release it as open source again ... All these caused too much *stress* and physical issues due to the fact that there was some sort of "run" engaged that did not makes me the time to breathe and too much was requested during a too short period... It's a hobby not a professional company work.
More to this, I have a precise idea of how the engine should evolve (in features, etc..) because even if one of my main objectives was to makes a "compatible with DarkGDK" product, I am more a "creative mind" than a "coder" and I have ideas that can be done (current Amiga technology allow these features, and it can technically be done) and it could help the AmiDARK Engine become a *special* Game Engine *especially* for Amiga platforms.

@Daytona675x :
If you read in french Amiga Forums, I never said I was a "good coder".. It's the contrary, I always said I'm not a true coder, I'm more a "creative mind" full of original ideas but without the knowledge to makes them come to life. It's people seeing my technical demonstrations that said "You're a good coder" ... Probably because my technological demonstration showing my creativity are judged nice?

But, I'm autodidact and I'm learning at my own rythm ... Not by "truth said by others" because I never consider word of others as truth but as a "path for a new research for understanding things".
I learn by reading, testing, understanding (or not), and applying ... So my code will not be perfect ... but I think there is no merit, no glory, from creating projects that only need our current capabilities...
I started the AmiDARK Engine with NO knowledge in C (only in BASIC languages and a bit of 680x0 assembler) and I think I have got good progress regarding that fact (You can think the contrary, it's your right, but it will not change my though)... I think that the technical demonstration show that I learned things under C... Even if I'm not yet perfect! More to this .. I also learn AmigaOS API as I did never really code using it ...
Considering all thses, it's I think already "beautiful" to see the current state of the project .... Once again, as I'm not a professional!

Last edited by AmiDARK on 21-Feb-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Last edited by AmiDARK on 21-Feb-2015 at 12:38 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 12:40:50
#89 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDARK

requesting money creates expectations. If it is a pure hobby nobody can say something. Take the positive (hints/tips) from the professional review by Daytona.

Bugala 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 13:16:41
#90 ]
Cult Member

@AmiDARK

Quote:
Then ... Why don't this donator say it himself/herself ?

If I had been that donator, I would have preferred staying anonymous as well, after all, hes withdrawal was the reason the bounty failed, regardless if someone else had withdrew money out at later point as well (having in pracitce caused the same had this guy not withdrawn first). So that can easily cause problems to you.

And especially if you think two different scenarios:

1. Guy puts 100 euros to bounty, then withdraws it at later point, causing the bounty to fail.
or
2. Guy never puts 100 euros to bounty, bounty never gets fulfilled.

In case number 2, guy gets no harm, in case number 1, he might get all the blame.

Also, if someone decides to throw money at me, and he wishes to stay both anonymous as well as silent about hes reasons for throwing that money to me, I am more than happy to take that money.

And then we get to example 2 again. This same anonymous money thrower could have either never thrown me money, or keep throwing me money for 10 years, and then just suddenly stop. I can see I would be unhappy at that 10 year point and asking why, but then again, thinking it better; Who said he was obliged to give me anything in the first place.

Just keep in mind the Golden rule - The one with the gold, sets the rules.

wawa 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 13:52:17
#91 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDARK

Quote:
If (s)he sent you that message, it's because (s)he know what happened, so, it is a forum member .... Then ... Why don't this donator say it himself/herself ?

i think it is clear that you dont need to be a member to read this forum.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 15:17:58
#92 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDARK

Quote:
I started the AmiDARK Engine with NO knowledge in C (only in BASIC languages and a bit of 680x0 assembler) and I think I have got good progress regarding that fact

I think you done a good job, considering your background, from what I have read about code review you have been fighting C, not working with the Language.

(Writing upper case and lower case versions of the same functions.)

I learned the syntax before I started to code for any OS, (I learned it at school coding microprocessors.) Yet I have few canceled / half-canceled projects, that simply stopped because, the source code became hard to read, and was redesigned too many times (due to lack of experience).

The code review you got might helped prevent what has happened to some projects happening to yours, so you should be grateful. However, I totally get your getting emotional over it; you have put your heart and soul into it, to find out that it is not that great.

Normally code reviews are done not in public, but in project room, I agree there is some truth to Overflow picture.

In addition, defiantly done my share of re-inventing the wheel, usually you ned up making function that do the same as standard once, with one exception they have not been tested as well, and as result you end up debugging code you did not need in the first place.

It takes a lot of patience, time and experience to become a good developer. Spending time learning how to do it correct can prevent failure, you also learn a lot by working on projects others have started and worked on.

Daytona675x 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 17:10:59
#93 ]

@AmiDARK
Got this from the guy:

Quote:
1. I don't have an AW account and I'm not able to create one because the site is broken.
And yes, I don't need an account to read the threads.

2. I want to be anonomous because I expect to be blamed for the failed bounty.

AmiDARK 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 18:36:06
#94 ]

@Daytona675x
I'm sorry but I found the answer "too easy" and "too "predictable" :p
Maybe that if this guy did send message to someone that was not in the conflict ... may be better ... Like I said before ... Coming from you is not for me a guarantee of truth (sorry, I don't want to insult you and I think you can understand me concerning this that your position in this story cause this fact).

But this person can be at ease that, in some point, the "failure of the bounty" allowed me to breathe a bit and to stop the dynamic where the pressure was to force me to fix many bugs in a too short time. Now I can continue fixing them at my own rythm in parallel to my other life obligations and projects.

Regards,
AmiDARK

wawa 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 18:50:38
#95 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDARK

yess.. all that is too predictable alas. i dont wonder the donor wants to stay anonymous.

AmiDARK 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 19:04:02
#96 ]

@wawa
Yes ... And I think I start to understand now, why all these happened ... From the release of the source code .. up to now ;)

Daytona675x 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 19:04:52
#97 ]

@AmiDARK
Quote:
I don't want to insult you and I think you can understand me concerning this that your position in this story cause this fact).

No, I cannot understand. Wonder why you don't trust my word since I never lied to you (actually, as far as I remember it's somebody else here who doesn't take it thaaaat serious with the truth after all).
It's actually pretty clear that this is not "made up" by me, which is obviously what you want to impute. Because, try to think logically:

1. what for? It's not as if his comment was that much to my favor.
2. if I did it make up then rest asured that this would quickly fire back at me because the "real" guy would certainly be informed the one way or the other. I am not stupid.
3. "too easy" and "too "predictable"? It's just obvious sane reasons. Yes, most often 2+2 is 4. Do you expect something else?
4. why? I know the facts, I can handle it. I don't need lame excuses / tricks to hold my position.

However, somehow I expected that you'd come up with that exact acusation. And therefore I also think that it would have been better if he had chosen somebody else to do this posting.
Since he monitors that forum he'll for sure do so.

Last edited by Daytona675x on 21-Feb-2015 at 07:07 PM.

AmiDARK 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 19:14:34
#98 ]

@Daytona675x
Sorry, forget my last sentence ... You confirmed me that my though are possible.
No need to go further in a debate in which we will not understand each other.
You're right ... I'm wrong ;)

Regards,
AmiDARK

wawa 
Posted on 21-Feb-2015 19:27:19
#99 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDARK

Quote:
Yes ... And I think I start to understand now, why all these happened ... From the release of the source code .. up to now ;)

as i wrote you, you must be completely wrong. stop looking for a guilty.

BSzili 
Posted on 22-Feb-2015 8:34:38
#100 ]

@AmiDARK

I'm also in contact with the person who withdrew his donation, and I can confirm what he said. No need to accuse anyone, not everyone has an AWN account.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle