Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 165 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 zipper:  30 mins ago
 Templario:  36 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  50 mins ago
 RobertB:  55 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 janelancy:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Sam460 and the "OS4 tax"
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
KimmoK 
Re: Sam460 and the "OS4 tax"
Posted on 10-Jun-2015 7:10:08
#101 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Originally Amigas were not commodore. Neither are they today.
Commodore could not have managed to keep up with mainstream HW development with their HW components anyway, so even if commodore had continued we might have similar Amiga HW today as we have without CBM.
Already my last Commodore Amiga use original HW only for some I/O and audio.

The big difference probably would be that we would have more mature SW without the time in bancrupt + McEven limbo.

My SAM has 10...100x the performance of my A4k, even when it's behind mainstream, it's nicer to use (for my needs) than A4k or mainstream. It just behaves better to my liking (so does my MorphBook and MorphMini etc.).

++++
IIRC, in 1999 I used P3/600 at work (and I got Duron/750 for my wife). At that time it was very easy to find examples where AmigaHW was still faster in normal use than mainstream, even when the mainstream already had 10x the CPU power.
Main thing happened since 1994 is that SW development on Amiga side has been pretty slow. And the focus has been "get some stuff running on new architecture" rather than make system perfect.
++++
Now we have the latest GPUs from the mainstream and CPU performance capable to do 90% of all mainstream tasks (speed of the very low end of today mainstream, but anyway).
Technology has advanced so that smaller companies can again develop sane motherboards, HW components via FPGA, cases etc. "Bedroom developments" have become more possible than 10 years ago.
So I think the future is good for Amiga fun above 100MIPS devices.
(and also very good below 100MIPS as well)
++++
We "just need" SW (and the new simple low end & low cost HW device).

Last edited by KimmoK on 10-Jun-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 10-Jun-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 10-Jun-2015 at 07:17 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: Sam460 and the "OS4 tax"
Posted on 17-Jun-2015 13:12:33
#102 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:
Nah, I didn't convert from Commodore Amiga to AmigaOne or Pegasos.

Well I didn't ask that of course, -) and those machines didn't exist when things got serious after 1994.

Quote:
I had access to all types of Mac and PCs as secondary computers at school

At secondary school (tech college) we had Micro-Bees on green or orange screens. Networked to a 20MB hard disk which looked like quite an advanced set up. There was an Amiga in the art room with an external floppy and good for playing Dragons Lair. Wasn't in the serious section but I think the Amiga belonged there in the art room in a place of creativity. Even so, we once went on a excursion for the computer class to look at a "real" computer for the future. S owe went to Myers to look at an Amiga A500!

Quote:
I stopped or raised the trophy because I wanted to be the last man standing in my local community

That's funny as I felt like the last man standing in my local community[y. My local newsagent in the shopping centre used to get all the Amiga magazines to the end. What was the last, big one Amiga Format? There must have been some Amiga users in the area as I live in just a small average suburb. Amiga users from the user group used to go to the city to get the magazines. I could hardly believe it!

Profile     Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle