Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 140 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  12 mins ago
 AndreasM:  24 mins ago
 kolla:  25 mins ago
 zipper:  31 mins ago
 OlafS25:  56 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  3 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 13:42:27
#121 ]

@Lazlo_Hollyfeld

Quote:

Lazlo_Hollyfeld wrote:
@billt

I wonder if it would be possible to put a PowerPC CPU on an tiny adapter board that would drop into an Intel /AMD compatible socket on a regular PC motherboard.

Just like the PowerMac G4 had the G4 or G4's on a tiny board that would be stuck into a connector on the motherboard.
Or like the small board with the G4 that plugs into the original AmigaOne motherboard.
Or the Pegasos CPU board, or the Pentium II CPU boards.

Or does that require some logic, like the pegasos april fix.

No but you can put PPC CPU on PCIe card with all logic circuitry to let the card control X86 host machine...

Profile     Report this post  
Raffaele 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 13:49:52
#122 ]

@iggy

Quote:

iggy wrote:
@billt

T2080, not the T4020 (that is overkill).

And, having spent three months matching up an SB600 to the MPC8641, I am not interested in using a Southbridge on a processor that doesn't require one for a low end board.
You see if you can gain traction on your idea.

I already have a firm reviewing the design of the T1040RDB.

Interesting. Why don't we chat in private about that?

Raffaele 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:05:43
#123 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
@Raffaele

>by a China Manufacturer

For example I know an ex-amigan who owns (part of a) company that does prototype HW production in Europe + has good relations with Chinese company. They do below 10000 unit productions in Europe and ~100000 units runs in china.
(+the size and complexity of the boards also determine the manufacturing sanity)

So then ask him about the cost of prototyping a PPC motherboard and perhaps you can contact Iggy who already made a chart of features and submitted it to a manufacturer he collaborate with.

Let ideas walking... Ask Iggy for the specs he made and check if your friend offer cheaper prices.

It seems to me that the discussion I started made things moving in the right direction.

olegil 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:07:33
#124 ]
Elite Member

@Rudi

cost is "way lower than adding slots and letting you put your own audio, sata and USB card on it".

And with an SB8x0 or newer you don't actually lose slots, you gain them. As the SB contains a PCIe switch. A x4 PCIe 2.0 routed to a switch is actually more efficient use of total bandwidth than x1+x1+SATA+SATA. The switch can scale bandwidth between different functions, the hard wired setup can't.

If you are aiming for mini-ITX then SB600 like on x1000 is fine. This is so cheap it's laughable.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

KimmoK 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:08:21
#125 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

I put myself a reminder to dig up the contact info.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

olegil 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:09:40
#126 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Oh, "I came on here with these TOTALLY irrational ideas but at least I'm helping".

Please don't take any credit for this. The people who are discussing in this thread were discussing exactly the same things last week and the week before and the week before that

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Raffaele 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:25:40
#127 ]

@olegil

Do you feel this time is more constructive than previous times or not?

@Thread

I wonder if AEon or A-Cube have some electronic-cad designs of motherboards that they started and then abandoned and they want to share these projects with the community...

[EDIT]

(Even selling it will be fine, if they claim money... At least We all comprehend that they work for profit)

Last edited by Raffaele on 05-Nov-2015 at 02:27 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:27:06
#128 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

+1

Too bad we have other lives beside the hobby fun.
Otherwise I believe we already had a open source PPC board with some Amigalike OSs.

@thread

What if we start having a scheduled #PPC-CommunityComputer gathering every two weeks or so.
Regular spanking, of those who get nothing done on the matter, tends to move things. (that's my wife's methode...? works too well...)
And some brainstorming, issuebusting, encouragement etc.

@Rafaele

It's always great to spot a few more interested persons in doing something / trying to do something with the matter.

Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Nov-2015 at 02:29 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Raffaele 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:29:24
#129 ]

@KimmoK

Thumbs up for your wife methods...

wawa 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:31:25
#130 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:

youre the man!!!

Quote:
I wonder if AEon or A-Cube have some electronic-cad designs of motherboards that they started and then abandoned and they want to share these projects with the community...

certainly! and they cant wait to share them with you in order for you to accomplish what they were not able to and totally infiltrate whats left of their market. keep it on.

iggy 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:31:34
#131 ]

@olegil

Quote:
The people who are discussing in this...

Yeah, these ideas go way back.
We were rehashing them in the MorphOS community way before the X1000 was announced.

iggy 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 14:34:32
#132 ]

@Raffaele

Quote:
I wonder if AEon or A-Cube have some electronic-cad designs of motherboards...

I don't know who designs Acube's hardware, but all A-eon hardware is designed by Varisys.
To the best of my knowledge they don't give away their services.

The best source for reference designs is the PPC manufacturers themselves.

iggy 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 15:21:45
#133 ]

@forum

I am up for any type of organization you guys think best.
If A-eon had not been formed, we would have already been doing this already.

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 15:32:50
#134 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
Once you move to a more powerful and cheap ISA ... , doesn't make sense to continue supporting the old one.

Losing last connection to original Amiga computers (PowerUP cards) would be bad move. Don´t search logic in it, entire AmigaOS (and Amiga in general) platform is based on passion.

Quote:
The hardware should be a "commodity": you don't have to be strictly bound on it.

Exactly!

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 15:37:45
#135 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

you guys seem to be really serious with it...

there should be some basic market research how many really would be willing to buy new hardware and what they are willing to spend for it

if interest is not enough then nobody needs to waste time on it. There will be Tabor that will not be "cheap" in how most people see it 2015 propably with some flaws but at least a option.

billt 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 15:45:33
#136 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Rudi wrote:

I don´t understand why you will use a southbridge. Sure it´s nice to have but not necessary.

If you want to keep the board low cost. It is much cheaper to use 2 Sata and 2 PCIe x1 connectors. The user can buy what ever he wants and use the PCIe x1 connector.

I guess that's where we differ in philosophy, as I'm interested by "Serious" high-end with lots of features built-in as well as lots of expansion options.

Quote:
If you use a Southbridge it must be designed in, tested and driver must be written. That will add costs to your design.

Most people only need Audio from the hdmi port of the graphics card.

I want USB3 as well, as well as HDaudio. etc...

And yes, there is some testing involved with the southbridge, it's not only the cost of the part to place on the board. I would wager that by starting with an AMD southridge, then drivers for the sb600 on x1000 can be leveraged, perhaps with some changes for the new config, rather than requiring a total do-over from nothing at all. Build on what we already have and all that...

Are there drivers for the SATA and RGMII networking in your T10xx CPU already?

iggy 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 15:57:28
#137 ]

@billt

Quote:
Are there drivers for the SATA and RGMII networking in your T10xx CPU already?

SATA ought to be very similar to the P5020.

And yes Olaf, I'm serious.
And I want to here what others here (and elsewhere think)

BTW - USB3 will be problematic because we don't have support for that yet.

Raffaele 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 16:27:46
#138 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Raffaele

Quote:

youre the man!!!

Quote:

certainly! and they cant wait to share them with you in order for you to accomplish what they were not able to and totally infiltrate whats left of their market. keep it on.

Don't be fool... It could happen that we community will succed in creating a functioning prototype but that in the end batches of motherboards will still be manufactured and sold by one of these two Amiga hardware companies as they have already all the logistics...

number6 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 16:28:14
#139 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
@iggy

I forgot Sam 460 not available
X1000 out of production
X5000 still not in production

short: nothing to sell

X5000 not available as a system (user/dealer configured)
I think it's a stretch to say "not in production" when

(1)People have been using it for WELL over a year. and...

(2)Trevor has openly stated "boards are piling up" "I need to
sell these YESTERDAY".

Surely you mean nothing running AmigaOS4.x for sale.

And considering the topic of this thread, how would it be any different with anyone's "dream" board?

billt 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 17:19:57
#140 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
And iggy has been corrected on the "number of PCIe lanes available on a T10x2 design with a SB" issue several times so far without learning from it.

T1040 Reference Manual on page 1721

If he wants to say Southbridge is not required or not desired, that's one thing.

To say it's a problem to include a southbridge because he doesn't want to connect a graphics card on other side of it, this page of this document shows why that is not the right argument to make, as it's simply completely incorrect.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle