Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

VooDoo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 VooDoo:  4 mins ago
 pixie:  50 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 Dragster:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 matthey:  5 hrs 34 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 19 mins ago
 rzookol:  7 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
TiredofLife 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 22:35:38
#221 ]

@utri007

Why do you consider this nonsense?
Not having a go, just curious.

Cheers

Profile     Report this post  
asymetrix 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 3:18:09
#222 ]
Cult Member

@thread

Just pick a bare bones x86/x64 COMMON system that has parts where we have drivers on PPC for, for around 150-200 USD.

Based on next gen versions of GFX/AUDEO/IO chipsets get a hypothetical quote.

For example if a PC has driver for audio chip 4, then have a deal thats compatible with version 4 and 5 etc.

Get a quote by visiting Hyperion discus obstacles to overcome to create a PORT - I think around 20k should do it.

Start up a kickstarter to fund it, Im sure we could fund 20k in around 2 years

Failing Hyperion, consult Amiga developers privately for quotes.

Or Freelancer.com developer 6+ years experience, 15+ USD per hour professional. (work a few hours per week - supervised online eg skype).

Dont let AROS hinder your resolve. AmigaOS4 has paid professional developer teams, AROS does not.

#1 is to get CHEAP HARDWARE for the people prefer UNDER 100 USD, 100 to 200 USD acceptable.

#2 FUND PORT to x86/x64

#3 FUND PORT of Blitzbasic to C + 24k GFX support.

Whatever NEW SYSTEM is built we will BREAK compatibility. So be it. PORT or rewrite.

Too many projects FAIL because they want compatibility, fix it later if needed.

Custom hardware is hopeless waste money. Fun Games making system, hardware and software, attach XMB so we can use it as our own console.

Hire developer from Freelance.com, setup online store for games and apps & developer portal + ratings - price around 800 USD ( I had similar job priced for php server).

Developers would come IF :

Cheap to develop ON (hardware ~200 USD)
Easy to program (software Games API or RAD for games)
Website to purchase game assets (images, sounds, code for games )
In game purchase (developer can make some money paid direct to developer portal)
Great TUTORIALS to create games.
Purchase game source code market

I know alot PC users and they call Windows software CLUMSY, BLOATED, SLOW. They use it. But dont love it.

We have seen what Amiga Leaders are doing, some may even like bits - but we know what they are not doing.

For a platform to succeed it needs to be cheap, then the people work together to improve it. I loved Amiga because it did everything I wanted and more the way I wanted it to be done.

Amiga has lost being as fun, it does not do the thing I want it to do and I dont think - wow that was clever or helpful.

Our OS should be so portable that porting to a mobile should be a no brainer !

I know alot of people have belief not be obsessed with MONEY or creating MONEY. Sorry DEVELOPERS need to be PAID and they create the software we want.

Every FINANCIAL opportunity that you dont do, is equally classed as a LOSS in potential earnings to you.

Look at this thriving community of game code we are MISSING out on !

https://www.scirra.com/store

Where is our Gaming Universe for programming ?
What are the FUTURE generations of KIDS going to learn in programming ? Drag n Drop ?

Cheap MINI PC

Last edited by asymetrix on 07-Nov-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Last edited by asymetrix on 07-Nov-2015 at 03:26 AM.
Last edited by asymetrix on 07-Nov-2015 at 03:18 AM.

OldFart 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 8:00:22
#223 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@utri007

Quote:
Eleven pages nonsense about nonsense.

I would like to say that it surprises me, but it doesn't. :(

We saw no other way to get you entertained, interested, distracted from tomfoolery and kept busy and happy all in one stroke and, lo'and behold! we're doin' quite a good job it seems.

You could have ignored and steered clear of this thread instead of raining on our parade of utter fantasy and vivid imagination. Please don't spoil our pleasure.

OldFart

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 8:53:05
#224 ]
Elite Member

@asymetrix

Why not funding Aros?

The progress of the dev team on Aros certainly is not worse than the progress on AmigaOS and with more manpower more could be done

What is the advantage of AmigaOS here?

pavlor 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 8:54:49
#225 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
What is the advantage of AmigaOS here?

It is AmigaOS?

Raffaele 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 10:54:53
#226 ]

@tangoone

Quote:

tangoone wrote:
@Raffaele

Okey let me say it like this.

Most of us now use a amiga as a secound computer, ok. ?

So how can we produce some hardware that still is a classic amiga but will bring us forrward that will be something that can be a entry level amiga. ?

64 bit dual core at a price of... Let me see... What about maximum of 399 euro (if we could keep a new motherboard in that range of price) should be sure a boost to revitalize Amiga market and make our hobby lesser expensive, leaving us some spare money in our pockets.

And if Hyperion and MorphOS team then will succed in enhance both operating systems to support 64bit CPU technology and SMP, it sure will be a benefit (and even if in the future it will be necessary a change to ISA migrating to X86 or ARM Cortex technology, then using PPC 64, even for a limited amount of time, it will be a necessary experience)....

Last edited by Raffaele on 09-Nov-2015 at 04:10 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 11:07:50
#227 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

no but that is no advantage...

pavlor 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 11:10:04
#228 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
no but that is no advantage...

I don´t share your opinion.

cdimauro 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 11:10:45
#229 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele: did you ever saw anything about supporting 64-bit? Nothing, and for well reasons: it kills backward compatibility. That's why you'll never see a PPC64 version of OS4 (MorphOS, instead, will move to x64).

SMP has issues too, though they claimed that they are working on it. Will see how they will manage to solve them AND keep the compatibility with existing 68K and PowerPC applications, which seems to be the most needed thing for OS4 users.

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 11:31:34
#230 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

i know

you are a BANF

Last edited by OlafS25 on 07-Nov-2015 at 12:05 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 12:33:57
#231 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Yes, I agree, the first step in supporting some hardware is having the hardware.

I actually think the CPU is not that important, that important, I imagine SMP work the same on one CPU to the next, as 64bit there are many ways that can work.

iggy 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 13:38:07
#232 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
It is AmigaOS?

OF course!
Everything after 3.1 is AmigaOS, after all the authors had valid licenses.
Hey, its got the trademarked name, right?

It's 'real' AmigaOS.

@OlafS25

Quote:
you are a BANF

What is a BANF?

Last edited by iggy on 07-Nov-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Last edited by iggy on 07-Nov-2015 at 01:42 PM.

iggy 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 13:41:17
#233 ]

@cdimauro

Quote:
SMP has issues

Yes, you can't retain compatibility unless you box the entire legacy OS and run the enhanced version outside of it.
That has been known for awhile.
Why do you think the Friedens are not too enthusiastic about the SMP kernel (compatibility maybe)?

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 13:48:52
#234 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

BAF is "Blind Amiga Follower", BANF was my extension to "Blind Amiga Name Follower"

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 13:51:18
#235 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
What is a BANF?

Blind Amiga Name Follower.

iggy 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 14:23:22
#236 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
"Blind Amiga Name Follower"

Ah, I love it.
While some have continued to wait and take what they get from their "paid programmers" and licensed hardware vendors, some of us just went "to heck with it, we will do it ourselves".

I've always been of the opinion that after Gateway, there hasn't been a legitimate holder of the rights to the Amiga (except maybe Cloanto with its prior claim to Workbench).
After all, if you follow the convoluted licensing and questionable transfers of rights after Gateway, the claims to ownership look pretty threadbare.

So, outside of the name issue, who owns Amiga community?
We do, of course.

Last edited by iggy on 07-Nov-2015 at 02:24 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 14:29:46
#237 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

for some "the name" is important for others not... I personal do not care

It has still some marketing value in real world (what was visible with CUSA anf the attention they got for their rebranded PCs) but you need both competitive/attractive products with competitive prices and there those who current use "Amiga" are and will fail.

cdimauro 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 15:01:55
#238 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Raffaele

Yes, I agree, the first step in supporting some hardware is having the hardware.

I actually think the CPU is not that important, that important, I imagine SMP work the same on one CPU to the next,

SMP has a precise definition, which Mr. Solie tried to change to fit his needs, some time ago...
Quote:
as 64bit there are many ways that can work.

Are you talking about having different ABIs? Or, better clarify what are you talking about.

@iggy

Quote:

iggy wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
SMP has issues

Yes, you can't retain compatibility unless you box the entire legacy OS and run the enhanced version outside of it.
That has been known for awhile.

If you take a look at this forum, it's from long time that OS4 users want both: SMP and backward compatibility. They are waiting for a miracle...
Quote:
Why do you think the Friedens are not too enthusiastic about the SMP kernel (compatibility maybe)?

Don't tell me: I was aware of these problems, and I've already talked about it years ago.

It doesn't make sense to waste so much time to add another patch to an archaic o.s.. Instead, it's better to go for a modern, rock-solid, o.s. which is inspired by the Amiga o.s., and relegate backward compatibility to a sandbox.

Signal 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 15:11:07
#239 ]
Cult Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:
......... AND keep the compatibility with existing 68K and PowerPC applications, which seems to be the most needed thing for OS4 users.

Bullshit!
Speak only for yourself. You most certainly do not speak for me.

If you want compatibility, need compatibility, absolutely can't live without compatibility, guess what?

Compatibility IS available!

Yes! Even on a 64bit dual core PPC processor. (OS4.1 FE)

Now lets move along and let these guys discuss a possible future, and if that means moving away from the past......then lets get on with it.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Nov-2015 15:39:36
#240 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
Why adding RS232?

It's needed for debugging purposes. If the hardware doesn't boot and looks dead in the water this is the first port of call after basic checks. It's also needed to grab a crash log if there is a system lock up.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle