Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 170 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  41 secs ago
 kolla:  6 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 AndreasM:  3 hrs 43 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 Swisso:  4 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 26-Nov-2015 10:47:06
#361 ]

@olegil

I sent you a PM with the specs and the correct service offered by facility that I used to obtain that prices.

Profile     Report this post  
Spectre660 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 28-Nov-2015 15:58:04
#362 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

How is it going ?

Raffaele 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 3:47:23
#363 ]

@Spectre660

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@Raffaele

How is it going ?

Frannkly I dunno!

Ole-Egil and iggy gave the thread only vague hints of what they are doing.

Last edited by Raffaele on 29-Nov-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 29-Nov-2015 at 03:56 AM.

iggy 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 4:19:08
#364 ]

@Raffaele

Quote:
Ole-Egil and iggy gave the thread only vague hints of what they are doing..

Hey guys,
I guess a quick summary is in order.
I have already sketched out the three systems that seem practical.

First is a Mini ITX with either a T1022 or T1042 (with or without an adapter to socket the processor).

Second a similar board that would definitely be either socketed or use a mezzanine board for the CPU as it would use a T1022, T1042, OR a T2081.
The use of the T2081 will require an SATA controller that could be implemented with a Mini PCIe socket (SATA3?).

The final board would be either Mini DTX or MATX and would use a T2080 (which has twice the SerDes lanes of the previously mentioned CPUs.
This would all for one X4 PCIe slot and one PCI6 X16 slot with eight lanes.
Personally, I find this last the most appealing as it would be more powerful than the X5000 (20 OR 40) in SMP mode, while retaining 90% of the single threaded performance (and with a cheaper CPU).

I have contacted Bill Buck at power2people and will be sending these basic specs tomorrow.
Bill has the resources to get this designed and prototyped.

There is no guarantee that a community funded board (like the board(s)) I proposed to Bill will happen.

We may have to do it ourselves.

SO....I contacted Freescale and will be asking for NDAs on the RDBT1040 and RDBT1042.
I already have Orcad, but I will need an upgrade to my current package.

We still need a prototyping company.
I have a firm that can build the boards.
But populating them is a very complex operation.

I will need all of you that are willing to, to lend a hand.

To conclude, this IS happening.
Hopefully we can keep prices low, AND produce a better board than Tabor.
And if a T2080 solution becomes a reality, that would be superior to the X5000.

To the naysayers, this is NO pipedream.
Its being explored by people with some experience in this field.
A year from now, you will be eating your words.

Jim

Amigo1 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 6:30:55
#365 ]

sob...instead of sharing resources with Trevor and ACube..

let's divide the hardware market too*.. oh, sorry yeah, it's proper name is "competition" which "resuscitates" the market. How could I be so close-minded! :-/

*) as in splitting resources

Last edited by Amigo1 on 29-Nov-2015 at 06:32 AM.

pavlor 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 8:58:08
#366 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:

Good luck!

A year from now, I hope I will be owner of A1-A1222.

tangoone 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 9:44:19
#367 ]

@iggy

please setup a site so we can follow the progress.

Kronos 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 9:55:13
#368 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

"sharing resources" can be easily achieved, by Trevor/ACube cutting their losses on the Tabor brainfart and getting a proper board produced.....

What you are proposing is a bit like C= stopping the A1200 in order to sell more A600s

Raffaele 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 9:59:23
#369 ]

@iggy

Sounds nice...

@ Iggy About Orcad:

I suggested you to contact hardware club in your local University. If they will be interested in the project, they can make you use their mainframes and their software. Have you tried this way?

@Amigaworld Community about prototyping:

Some days ago (in this same thread) I asked the users in this Amigaland community if perhaps they known a good and cheap prototyping facility in their nation.

Many of us still work for electronic firms and/or have sure friends at home or at work who could know about prototyping firms.

None wants to check about it by making some research?

@ Iggy again

About sponsors and/or donors:

Yes Amigo1 has a point. IMHO I think myself that you must explore also if Trevor Dickinson and A-EON or Massimiliano Tretene in ACube could be interested in the project.

Also it will be interesting if some third party or indipendent hardware makers are interested.

1) Is still active (but obviously sleeping) the bPlan harware team?

2) What about introducing Jens Schoenfeld (Individual Computers) to the project?

Jens made a great job with Catweasel Board. Catweasel can be connected both in Amiga slots, and in PCI X86 slots.

Jens has all the skills to make Dream T2080 motherboard being an autonomus board, and also being equipped with a PCIe connector on one of its sides, to make it transform immediately into a mezzanine board and being fitted into a X86 computer.

Raffaele 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 10:08:30
#370 ]

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@Amigo1

"sharing resources" can be easily achieved, by Trevor/ACube cutting their losses on the Tabor brainfart and getting a proper board produced.....

What you are proposing is a bit like C= stopping the A1200 in order to sell more A600s

That's incorrect...

It is like Commodore stopping selling Amiga 1000s, big, desktop sized and ingombrant, and mainly expensive, equipped with primitive Zorro I and expansion port capability (check how big was PC8088 Sidecar Expansion, that was so big it did not even keep the slim line of A1000), in order to produce the Amiga500s, that are in comparison cheap, small sized, and mainly with advanced Zorro II capabilitites.

Last edited by Raffaele on 29-Nov-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 29-Nov-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 10:19:38
#371 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

The A500 had Zorro2 ???

Or did it have the same edge-connector than the A1000 just moved to the other side ?

Also, the A500 was 99.99% compatible to the A1000 and much cheaper.

Basicly the A500 was what Iggy's proposed specs would be to when compared to the X1000/5000.

@pavlor

Listen to/read what has been said by Hyperion last month on the progress of the X5000 port and how it effects a port to Tabor (noone has even started on that) add the usual time it takes tham to port OS4 to new HW and it should be crystal clear that you might have the Tabor-HW in 2016, but it won't be an AmigaOne (as in running OS4).

Thats why it makes so much sense to cut the losses now and start fresh with a new design that will be less troublesome, faster, of interest to non-OS4-markets and will most likely be available before HYperion even has the resources to start porting to any new HW (so no time lost on the side).

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 10:23:39
#372 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

it is not my field anyway but why do you think A-eon or Acube might be interested to make this happen and even spend money on it. Do not forget that Tabor as hardware already exists, so money is already spend.

pavlor 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 10:39:06
#373 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

You know, I ever wear my rose-tinted glasses.

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 10:46:12
#374 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Pavlor is known as BANF

pavlor 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 11:01:42
#375 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Pavlor is known as BANF

Not that I dispute BANF designation, but I rather call myself plain BAF.

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 11:05:26
#376 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Fransexy 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 12:30:01
#377 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:

iggy wrote:

Jim

Quoted for the future!!

Good luck!

Raffaele 
Posted on 29-Nov-2015 19:12:31
#378 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Raffaele

it is not my field anyway but why do you think A-eon or Acube might be interested to make this happen and even spend money on it. Do not forget that Tabor as hardware already exists, so money is already spend.

Just because the Community will design and first prototyping the motherboard for making them save time and money?

Raffaele 
Posted on 30-Nov-2015 5:38:54
#379 ]

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@Raffaele

The A500 had Zorro2 ???

Or did it have the same edge-connector than the A1000 just moved to the other side ?

As long as I remembered A500 connector was Zorro 2 compliant. Am I wrong?

ilbarbax 
Posted on 30-Nov-2015 8:21:13
#380 ]

@Raffaele

in all those posts there is something that escape from my comprehension.
Why companies specialized in making motherboards takes a couple of year to arrive to produce a board and here with a bunch of posts we are supposing to be able to order prototypes to some company?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle