Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

agami,  DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  56 secs ago
 agami:  1 min ago
 RobertB:  21 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 Bruce72:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
billt 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 30-Nov-2015 8:50:37
#381 ]
Elite Member

@ilbarbax

Quote:
in all those posts there is something that escape from my comprehension.
Why companies specialized in making motherboards takes a couple of year to arrive to produce a board and here with a bunch of posts we are supposing to be able to order prototypes to some company?

If you get people who know how to do that sort of thing, then yes, a group of community hobbyists can do something. There's money to pay for prototypes. But know how and time can be available and offered for something fun to do. Some in this thread most definitely know how to do this, and indeed do exactly this sort of thing for their day jobs. Then once designed, pay for prototypes from some company.

Understand that there is more happening in a couple years time than design and prototype. There's firmware, testing of prototypes, driver coding, and any finishing touches. For some of this, you really want prototypes such as to test. Drivers can be dome in parallel, or reused from already working SOC things when compatible, or use PCIe card until SOC things are supported. Getting a prototype back to hack on doesn't take as long as going from design start to available for commercial purchase in some larger quantity.

Profile     Report this post  
Raffaele 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 30-Nov-2015 14:41:08
#382 ]

@ilbarbax

Quote:

ilbarbax wrote:
@Raffaele

in all those posts there is something that escape from my comprehension.
Why companies specialized in making motherboards takes a couple of year to arrive to produce a board and here with a bunch of posts we are supposing to be able to order prototypes to some company?

The problem is fitting on a single motherboard all electronics we want to mount on it (CPU, audio chip, ports, connectors) and build the board in order signals of different lanes and layers will not interfere each other.

If you are not experienced and skilled in design, the motherboard circuitry could result in a mass of electric short circuits.
Another problem is that tiling layers in a wrong way or making too much dense population of chips could generate passive currents or even radio signals that cause unexpected bugs.

This is why motherboard design require years of debugging and realizing various prototypes.

Fortunately iggy is already skilled in designing circuits and has enough experience in making motherboards for an electronic firm so he is aware of these kinds of problems and has knowledge to avoid it.

In this discussion we stated that design should remain very minimal, so prototyping should present lesser problems of fitting all hardware and cause very few of these problems.

Also remember that SoC, System on Chip Processors have all included into CPU dye, so the motherboard pratically is embedded mainly into the CPU itself.
This fact is a bless for designers and reduces dramatically the problems I described above.

iggy also wants to integrate its project with existing Freescale experimental motherboards already made by the firm itself by signing a NDA that will allow him using the same Orcad files available at Freescale.

Having access to existing and functioning layers design already developed by Freescale will reduce again dramatically time and problems iggy could encounter.

Last edited by Raffaele on 30-Nov-2015 at 02:44 PM.

billt 
Posted on 16-Mar-2016 22:15:05
#383 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:
Btw, avnet has 16 A75 units in stock for $20 a piece, I suggest you buy a couple and make that plugin card. It would be totally awesome to have A75 support in AmigaOS.

Not anymore...

Quote:
And it's just not feasible to design a motherboard around it until it's been tested as a plugin card.

Agreed...

Last edited by billt on 16-Mar-2016 at 11:19 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 16-Mar-2016 22:29:08
#384 ]
Elite Member

yawn..

Rose 
Posted on 16-Mar-2016 22:54:09
#385 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Hey... Only 9 months until we are eating our words since Iggy delivers.

wawa 
Posted on 16-Mar-2016 23:37:00
#386 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

iggy has admitted to have given up after sending some emails. he actually is to eat his socks himself. but we wont be insisting on it, will we?

pavlor 
Posted on 17-Mar-2016 16:11:59
#387 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Depends on socks you choose for such task.

Raffaele 
Posted on 17-Mar-2016 16:13:14
#388 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Rose

iggy has admitted to have given up after sending some emails. he actually is to eat his socks himself. but we wont be insisting on it, will we?

And these are indeed the news that really please you Amiga naysayers and notorious trolls...

The fact there will be no anymore Amiga mainstream just relaxes me, as in our little community we must deal only with a limited number of these kind of annoying people, and we all know who they are, while with Amiga sold in great numbers, dozillions trolls will infesting our sites with obvious questions good for RTFM answers, flamewars, stupid requests and "we said that!" meanie jokes as in your previous post!

BTW, to change topic...

Have a good 2016 Saint Patrick Day to all irish Amigans worldwide!

Last edited by Raffaele on 17-Mar-2016 at 04:15 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Mar-2016 17:48:18
#389 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
And these are indeed the news that really please you Amiga naysayers and notorious trolls...

it would please me if people were posting less of their lengthy pipedreams onlne. its tiresome.

Quote:
The fact there will be no anymore Amiga mainstream just relaxes me, as in our little community we must deal only with a limited number of these kind of annoying people, and we all know who they are, while with Amiga sold in great numbers, dozillions trolls will infesting our sites with obvious questions good for RTFM answers, flamewars, stupid requests and "we said that!" meanie jokes as in your previous post!

no doubt its usual intention to keep this warm cozy corner all to one self. god forbid any kind of amiga offshot was actually taking off and people smoking these pipe dreams might find themselves lost in a crowd of actual users all the sudden. luckily it wont happen.

hotrod 
Posted on 17-Mar-2016 21:59:55
#390 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

it would please me if people were posting less of their lengthy pipedreams onlne. its tiresome.

And yet you read them and reply, the logic is obvious mr Troll.

kolla 
Posted on 17-Mar-2016 22:22:20
#391 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

It takes one to know one, Wawa is no troll.

I am :D

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2016 23:08:05
#392 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

I asked Iggy if he is serious and he was obvious but... the result was predictable and I even wrote that Freescale is no longer interested in PPC after being bought and they are concentrating on ARM. For that you do not need to be a "naysayer" or "troll" how you like to call others but realistic look at reality. Without support of a bigger company this would not be realistic anyway because someone has to take the risks. Would you have risked your property for it? Propably not... Perhaps Iggy would indeed risked some money (f.e. for producing prototypes but that would not have been enough). So all the "troll" talk is really nerving me

You and Iggy dreamed... dream is over because not realistic

end of story

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2016 23:10:48
#393 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

if you say so

Rob 
Posted on 18-Mar-2016 0:23:18
#394 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

Pipedreams maybe but nobody forces you to read such threads. If someone kept bring up their idea of the ultimate ppc system or whatever in AROS vision threads or any other unrelated threads then fair enough because it would rude and disruptive but that's not what is happening when a dedicated thread is made for a particular subject.

It's not difficult to ignore a thread. I'm not really interested in Linux on the X1000 so I simply pay little attention and let the people who are interested get on with their discussion It makes life a lot easier for everyone.

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Mar-2016 1:30:32
#395 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Raffaele

Quote:

no doubt its usual intention to keep this warm cozy corner all to one self. god forbid any kind of amiga offshot was actually taking off and people smoking these pipe dreams might find themselves lost in a crowd of actual users all the sudden. luckily it wont happen.

No doubt Amiga is good smoke for long trips in pipedreaming... And you know the best about dreaming?

Once a person said (or so): "If you want your dreams come true stop saying I wish, and start saying I will, and do it!"

His name was Steve Jobs.

Now I don't know if this quote is really from Jobs, but no any Amigan after he lived a dream come true that was Amiga as it impacted reality, should stop dreaming...

Never!

If he stops, then he is just a poor old man with no any vision of future just waiting a merciful death.

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Mar-2016 at 01:31 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Mar-2016 1:41:41
#396 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Raffaele

I asked Iggy if he is serious and he was obvious but... the result was predictable and I even wrote that Freescale is no longer interested in PPC after being bought and they are concentrating on ARM. For that you do not need to be a "naysayer" or "troll" how you like to call others but realistic look at reality. Without support of a bigger company this would not be realistic anyway because someone has to take the risks. Would you have risked your property for it? Propably not... Perhaps Iggy would indeed risked some money (f.e. for producing prototypes but that would not have been enough). So all the "troll" talk is really nerving me

You and Iggy dreamed... dream is over because not realistic

end of story

Hello Olaf? Do you spot title of thread?

It says "Bounty for creating... Blah, blah, blah..."

That's means no one asked Iggy for risking his money.

He entered in a complete silence and I do not disturbed him.

If he had encountered difficulties or had needed money all he should do was to advice us "Hey! I am in troubles!" and the community had helped him with collecting money or heping finding expert friends to solve hardware issues.

I can't blame Iggy for staying silent as this could be his way of working, but I blame him for not advicing publicly that he is gone quitting.

I hope he will be so glad to release the orcad electronic cad design he said he was working on, in order to allow other people to continue his motherboard design.

If he wants money to make them public I will comprehend his request (as he spent time and efforts on it and deserves to be rewarded for it) and immediately I will start a bounty to reward Iggy and made his state-of-the-art orcad design files free for all Amigans who want continue dreaming, or better who want dreams became true.

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Mar-2016 at 01:49 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Mar-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Mar-2016 1:48:12
#397 ]

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@wawa

Quote:

It's not difficult to ignore a thread. I'm not really interested in Linux on the X1000 so I simply pay little attention and let the people who are interested get on with their discussion It makes life a lot easier for everyone.

Duh... For a strange coincidence me too avoiding those annoying X1000 Linux threads that show only that there is no any advance from AmigaOS side...

terminills 
Posted on 18-Mar-2016 10:14:08
#398 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Raffaele

Quote:

I can't blame Iggy for staying silent as this could be his way of working, but I blame him for not advicing publicly that he is gone quitting.

He did state in public that he had given up on the idea.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=40882&forum=14&start=240&viewmode=flat&order=0#778134

Last edited by terminills on 18-Mar-2016 at 10:14 AM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

wawa 
Posted on 18-Mar-2016 10:21:11
#399 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:

No doubt Amiga is good smoke for long trips in pipedreaming... And you know the best about dreaming?

Once a person said (or so): "If you want your dreams come true stop saying I wish, and start saying I will, and do it!"

His name was Steve Jobs.

Now I don't know if this quote is really from Jobs, but no any Amigan after he lived a dream come true that was Amiga as it impacted reality, should stop dreaming...

Never!

If he stops, then he is just a poor old man with no any vision of future just waiting a merciful death.

i couldnt care less what jobs said or not. it is just a further example of american motivation demagogy, such guys always come up with to look as true self made men. besides whatever example taken from apple world, that is brought here so frequently hardly applies to amiga or similar. the situation is just too different.

if you really want to do something, there is plenty of projects on amiga where you can easily get involved with, instead just bragging on forums. i for my part help with aros as much i can and try to at least lend a hand to vampire team, while not being a member and not even having the hardware. everybody can approach deadwood or chris to help with the browsers.

and now dont come with "but i dont have skills for that". if you dont, then consider what skills you have instead, because skills writing lengthy posts on amiga forums wont move anything further. except you are just too lazy to do anything else, because posting comes cheap. alas there is not much recognition to be gained from this, in contrary to what some would expect.

Last edited by wawa on 18-Mar-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Last edited by wawa on 18-Mar-2016 at 10:21 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Mar-2016 10:27:10
#400 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Quote:

terminills wrote:
@Raffaele

Quote:

He did state in public that he had given up on the idea.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=40882&forum=14&start=240&viewmode=flat&order=0#778134

raffaelle knows that very well, as he posted there too. good thing iggy admitted, but he didnt come up with this explanation himself. thats quite a common behaviour even if not unexpected.

Last edited by wawa on 18-Mar-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle