Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 62 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  18 mins ago
 pixie:  37 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 4 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 7 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 10 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 4-Nov-2015 22:50:24
#81 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
Besides, its just an exercise in seeing what can be done.

It's best to check before hand, it's what any serious businessman would do. I expect the market is already saturated and the only thing we're missing is a laptop.

Last edited by BigD on 04-Nov-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
asymetrix 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 4-Nov-2015 23:44:20
#82 ]
Cult Member

@THREAD

Dont forget Hyperion has *GOT* a x86 licence to port AmigaOS4 since a long time.

Just need a quote from Hyperion.

X86 with AmigaOS4 would be great for developers - cheap systems they could get their hands on to create the software.

I dont care what is UNDER THE BONNET - That was the point of Amiga.

Complete system 150-200 USD.

Even a laptop is possible. If Raspberry pi can get a Laptop shell and add hardware so can we.

http://www.pi-top.com/#/product

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Nov-2015 23:45:11
#83 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

X86 or better X64 does not magically solve the problem, expecially the missing software but... try to sell your friends Tabor or X1000 or X5000

iggy 
Posted on 4-Nov-2015 23:48:10
#84 ]

@BigD

Quote:
it's what any serious businessman would do

A serious businessman would run like hell away from the Amiga market.

I had my serious business phase in the '80s and '90s selling custom 68K systems.

This is purely because I want to.

iggy 
Posted on 4-Nov-2015 23:50:15
#85 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
try to sell your friends Tabor or X1000 or X5000

There are no more x1000s.
I simply don't like Tabors design.
Seriously considering the x5000.

And what about the SAM460?
It is still in production.

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Nov-2015 23:54:11
#86 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

ut overprized outdated hardware is the answer

the truth is (next to missing drivers) that our platforms have to offer innovations like new special software and services that justify using it. People today have only few real computer knowledge, much less than in the past, but much more use computers in different forms. Offer them something that is "cool" then they will use it.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 0:00:16
#87 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

sorry to say that but PPC is a dead end and when AmigaOS sticks to it it will die with the last processors. For good reasons MorphOS team announced a ISA change. If "AmigaOS" is really so important to you then you would need to support a ISA change.

BTW you already own AmigaOS now?

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 0:03:58
#88 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

I forgot Sam 460 not available
X1000 out of production
X5000 still not in production

short: nothing to sell

Asking him trying to sell Tabor to his friends was only theoretic of course

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 0:29:53
#89 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
If "AmigaOS" is really so important to you then you would need to support a ISA change.

Neither AmigaOS nor MorphOS is likely to survive an ISA change with many users unless there is a massive increase in the user base on the current PPC hardware. My guess is we are still hemorrhaging users each year due to no interesting new software not because of PPC.

iggy 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 0:34:07
#90 ]

@OlafS25

Acube's stock levels are just plain weird.
They sent me a notice yesterday that they were back in stock, I checked, they were available.

Today...nothing.

What do they do, runs of 50 or less?

agami 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 1:04:05
#91 ]

@olegil

I agree with you. Your logic is sound.

billt 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 1:38:53
#92 ]
Elite Member

@fjudde

Quote:
@Olegil
Your missing out on the fun!

He hasn't missed any of this fun... And has most likely actually done more than the rest of us combined.

agami 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 1:42:35
#93 ]

@iggy

I like the way you're thinking too. It's the kind of thinking that should have been prevalent five or so years ago.

klx300r 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 1:42:59
#94 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@klx300r

X86 or better X64 does not magically solve the problem, expecially the missing software but... try to sell your friends Tabor or X1000 or X5000

well now that's different because a small portion of my computing fanatic friends are old amigans so they actually did invest in Sam boards and a few have X1000's BUT alas this is not the market we're looking for! It's the other NON-AMIGANS that we need to show an interest in our platform.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

klx300r 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 1:46:45
#95 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@iggy

I forgot Sam 460 not available
X1000 out of production
X5000 still not in production

short: nothing to sell

that means they sold out because there was a demand. I'm sure A-Eon or ACube would not bother with new systems for their marker if their previous ones didn't sell

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 1:49:14
#96 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
NON-AMIGANS that we need to show an interest in our platform.

Software development would have to go into exponential growth for that to happen which is possible but how many killer apps will appear?

klx300r 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 1:52:07
#97 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@klx300r

ut overprized outdated hardware is the answer

the truth is (next to missing drivers) that our platforms have to offer innovations like new special software and services that justify using it. People today have only few real computer knowledge, much less than in the past, but much more use computers in different forms. Offer them something that is "cool" then they will use it.

well let's just say I'm invested in ALL my systems & that keeps my interest going.

I agree that much more than hardware we need software and full driver support. The cool part is easy for me as I think all my miggies are COOL BUT how to convince a younger generation that never knew or experienced an Amiga is the question

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 1:54:05
#98 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
BUT how to convince a younger generation that never knew or experienced an Amiga is the question

Introduce it to them as they grow up. My 2 year old already recognises and loves Rainbow Islands and Deluxe Pacman.

agami 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 2:05:46
#99 ]

@klx300r and @Fransexy

No one is saying that AmigaOS on x86 is the solution to all the problems. And your eagerness to bring up AROS as an example shows your lack of argumentative maturity, a.k.a arguing from ignorance.

This thread does not talk about AmigaOS world dominance or even increasing sales outside the Amiga community. It's about the many of us that just can't justify spending the current asking price to join the AmigaOS 4.1 PPC Club.

As an Amiga person I to have tried AROS and have not continued to use it. Not because the idea of an Amiga-like experience on relatively low cost x86 hardware is a poor one, it's the lack of software for me to be productive or even entertained.

What AROS has done is amazing and I wish it were more, and maybe some day it will be, but given that it is a community developed open source project there's only so much that can be done.
But like someone else said in this thread, AROS isn't AmigaOS 4.x (paraphrasing)

So in the question of Develop new better value for money power ISA motherboard vs. Spend the effort porting AmigaOS 4.x to existing value for money x86 boards, the sane answer is Port the OS. But that is all academic as Hyperion looked into it a while back and there is just too much involved given the current OS architecture. Drop $500k on them and they'll reconsider.

"A house divided against itself cannot stand" - Abraham Lincoln
So the core benefit of AmigaOS, MorphOS, and yes AROS as well being on x86 is that the net pool of users is much larger. More users means larger market for Amiga software.

I know there are some elitists out there that like the fact that they've paid the "club membership" price and that not everyone is prepared to. Let's just call it a hobby and who cares if there's not enough club members to justify new application developers.

A-Eon for classes and Acube for the masses?

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2015 2:15:41
#100 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
A-Eon for classes and Acube for the masses?

It seems that way. I can't see it changing to be honest. Hyperion, A-Eon and ACube have fought for this situation and porting to x64 is a huge gamble, even bigger than the X1000 & X5000 projects. Would they recoup the expenditure? Would it kill the AmigaOne hardware projects? Would it further fragment the market? Would all backwards compatibility and hence all unique selling points be lost? These are the considerations and since PPC is not quite finished the decision does not have to be made right now just viewed as a contingency.

Also, all the new money invested into the Amiga scene is coming via A-Eon a hardware company. Hyperion is basically working for A-Eon and ACube and by porting to x64 they would be destroying their best customers by giving people the option to just buy from PC World rather than Amiga companies. A-Eons software projects are not mature enough to keep the company going without the hardware sales!

Last edited by BigD on 05-Nov-2015 at 02:18 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle