Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  20 mins ago
 retrofaza:  48 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Seiya:  4 hrs 51 mins ago
 matthey:  5 hrs 12 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 22 mins ago
 vox:  6 hrs 27 mins ago
 kolla:  7 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  AmigaDeveloper.com Team Progress Update
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
amigakit 
Re: AmigaDeveloper.com Team Progress Update
Posted on 17-Aug-2016 11:46:47
#141 ]
Amiga Kit

@kamelit0

I think Daniel mentions in the video it is 1980x1080, 32bit.

Profile     Report this post  
tlosm 
Posted on 17-Aug-2016 12:00:50
#142 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
20M triangles p/s is about the same league as the GameCube

I will put a sign for have the same game library had game cube on amigaos

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

amigakit 
Posted on 17-Aug-2016 12:27:29
#143 ]
Amiga Kit

@Rob

Quote:
I think we're still just scratching the surface at the moment. What can be achieved is dependent on just how far you want to go with Warp3D Nova over the coming years.

It is too large of an investment not to consolidate on the foundations that have been established. A year ago, we did not have Shaders, and had an old 3D system from the late nineties, 3D graphics on AmigaOS has changed now with Warp3D Nova and the new OpenGL ES 2.0 library for the better.

kamelito 
Posted on 17-Aug-2016 13:15:32
#144 ]
Cult Member

@tlosm

if not already ported : http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/
Kamelito

cgutjahr 
Posted on 17-Aug-2016 13:47:28
#145 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

That is pretty obvious so MUI will not happen despite being the better and more portable solution.

MUI development is controlled by the MorphOS team, which simply makes it a big no-go for AmigaOS 4. Until the sources are released and control is handed over to an independent team, no sane commercial vendor should ever build an OS distribution around it.

As for "better": that's open for interpretation. As an end user, not having the GUI run in the program's context was a very big plus IMHO. It's something I always hated about MUI.

amigakit 
Posted on 17-Aug-2016 14:04:18
#146 ]
Amiga Kit

@cgutjahr @OlafS25

It is important that A-EON has control over it's own gadgets and classes. They are the essential building blocks for most future software work. So a good foundation is required.

It is prudent from a legal point of view, gadgets and classes that have been acquired wholly have no prior historical legal disputes.

From a development point of view, gadgets and classes that are wholly owned by A-EON can be built upon and upgraded quickly with large investment without having to consult or wait many months/years for any third party's consent.

Additionally, something I feel is important about is that they can be ported back to AmigaOS 3 for more managable and consistent application software development spanning across AmigaOS 3 and 4.

Relying on updates and bug fixes to an existing third-party gadget set can hold up projects significantly. Alternatively, if the gadgets and classes source code is already in-house, any bugs/enhancements can be identified and implemented quickly to suit the application that is being developed.

kamelito 
Posted on 17-Aug-2016 14:19:36
#147 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Is your toolkits Available for 3D party too? Is it free if the software is plublished only in the Amistore?
Kamlito

Last edited by kamelit0 on 17-Aug-2016 at 06:32 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 4-Nov-2016 12:05:33
#148 ]
Amiga Kit

Danlel has been commissioned by A-EON Technology Ltd to work on OpenGL ES 2.0 for Warp3D Nova.

He has now completed 11 updates since the initial version. Here is his latest update today:

Quote:

OpenGL ES 2 (v1.11) for Warp3D Nova (AmigaOS 4)

I picked up the pencil I dropped after successfully finishing up the initial version 1.0 for the 11th time now, so it's a new week with a new update once again :)

This time we got one fix and some real *massive* optimizations for a common-case scenario.

The fix: glViewport didn't always work correctly. A dumb typo made it falsely depend on the provided target window- / bitmap-height :P Thanks to Frank Menzel for reporting that one. Really wondering how this one could remain unnoticed for so long.

But now to the optimizations :)
It's all about non-VBO drawing commands. So what's that anyway you may ask?

OGLES2 allows you to draw your geometry either from GPU memory (VBO) or directly from your application's RAM (non-VBO). The latter is often used in older progs when VBOs weren't available, in stuff ported from OGL(ES)1, for simplicity, for vertex-data that constantly changes, etc.

In contrast, Nova only allows you to draw your stuff through VBOs. Therefore the OGLES2 wrapper has to create / update at least one VBO internally if you want to draw sth. from your application's RAM. So for the lib-user it looks as if he'd draw from his RAM directly, but in reality the wrapper turns everything into a VBO behind the scenes. And that VBO modification means that the data has to be uploaded to the GPU. Furthermore it means that the lib has to wait until that VBO is not used by the GPU anymore, which could be the case if you issued another non-VBO draw-command before.
OGLES2 has to do all that for every single non-VBO glDraw-command you issue, because it has to asume that your vertex data changed. There is no way to tell OpenGL "hey, don't worry, that data will remain unchanged for the next 1000 draw-calls".

As you may guess all this is a huge bottleneck. So I spent some time to improve that situation.
The basic idea is that it's actually faster to check the whole data for changes and to not upload anything if there's no change than to always upload. And instead of comparing the data I hash it and compare that hash only. The hashing function has been extremely optimized in 1.10 already (it's used internally for other things already). Anyway, that's the core idea, there's a bit more though.

Note: throughout the following lines I'll present the fps of the boing-ball-test if compiled *not* to use VBOs! So it's 1024 identical balls (about 800 triangles each) rendered using client memory vertex- / index-data.
Before it was very slow in that mode (more at Warp3D than W3D Nova niveau), especially with that big load (although the previous update already contained a nice speedup by around factor 3, as you probably remember). However this test situation can be considered a best-case scenario.

I also prepared a second version of that test, one that renders two different types of balls which use completely different vertex-/ index-data sets in an alternating way (ball type A, then type B, then A, B, ...). Triangle- and ball-count is the same as in test 1. This second test is used to somewhat simulate a worst-case scenario.

So, let's begin. With 1.10 we had the following results for those tests (on a sam460ex, low-end R7 250, default window size, all ca. values).
Variant 1: 3.3 fps
Variant 2: 3.3 fps

Optimization 1: client-RAM index-arrays are uploaded only if a data change has been detected.
Variant 1: 3.7 fps
Variant 2: 3.7 fps

Optimization 2: client-RAM vertex-arrays are uploaded only if a data change has been detected.
Variant 1: 16.0 fps
Variant 2: 3.7 fps

Wow :) Variant 1 becomes insane!
Interesting to note is that variant 2 isn't getting any slower (at least not measurable), despite the fact that it now computes a hash over 25kb of vertex-data (about 800 vertices, 32 bytes each) - and it does so 1024 times per frame for nothing... Yes, the hashing has been optimized indeed ;)

Optimization 3: instead of just one VBO for index- and vertex-arrays the library now manages a hole lot of such VBOs internally.
Variant 1: 15.9 fps
Variant 2: 12.5 fps

Not bad, hm? ;)

However there's one situation that doesn't benefit much from all this, namely when you render procedurally generated vertex data that changes all the time.
If you use glDrawElements then it's likely that at least the index-array-upload can be optimized away because in the common procedural use-case this will remain constant, but the always-changing vertex-data will not just not benefit from all this but might actually become slower than before because there's the additional hashing overhead now...

However, as we have seen at "Optimization 2" computing the hash is virtually for free - at least in those tests here, which, after all, throw around about 50 times (!) more vertices while issueing about 40 times (!) more draw-calls than the current "Wings Remastered" beta does in the most heavy loaded strafing-scenes... (and "Wings Remastered" will be the most heavy Warp3D game in existence). Just to give you an idea about what amounts of data this boing-ball tests is actually about...
So, if you stay within those limits the hashing overhead is definitely neglectable.

So compared to v1.10 the new v1.11 delivers a performance gain around factor 3.8 to 4.8 for common non-VBO situations!
And because it sounds even cooler:
Compared to v1.9 we have an improvement of an incredible factor 11.4 to 14.4!

Note: the actual performance gain highly depends on the size of the data you are about to draw with one draw-call. So don't expect that your numbers are identical to those above. But the overall order of magnitude will be around that.

Cheers,
Daniel

kamelito 
Posted on 4-Nov-2016 12:41:00
#149 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaKit

Since Daniel he's also good at optimization, maybe he could optimize Nova too?
Your thoughts?

Kamelito

wawa 
Posted on 4-Nov-2016 14:31:04
#150 ]
Elite Member

good to see progress here. ;)

tlosm 
Posted on 4-Nov-2016 14:54:55
#151 ]
Elite Member

@kamelit0

Quote:
@tlosm if not already ported : http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/ Kamelito

not ported and buid but not working on linux ppc ... becasue the jit and interpretative cpu emulation non BE friendly

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

virgolamobile 
Posted on 4-Nov-2016 21:28:05
#152 ]

@tlosm

Dolphin emulator: could it be a job for Álmos Rajnai?
He was the JIT expert behind the the E-UAE JIT work.
I know, it was 68k JIT, but who knows.
Does anybody knows if he still around?

Hans 
Posted on 4-Nov-2016 22:58:43
#153 ]
Elite Member

@kamelit0

Quote:

kamelit0 wrote:
@AmigaKit

Since Daniel he's also good at optimization, maybe he could optimize Nova too?
Your thoughts?

Nova is best left to me as it's my code and I have a better idea of how it works and what could be improved. The biggest performance limitation is lack of GART support, which is something that needs to be added to the RadeonHD.chip driver. That's the reason why Daniel has had to pull such tricks with non-VBO vertex arrays. Otherwise the GPU could read vertex data from main memory using DMA. Adding GART is more of a whole new feature than an optimization.

Hans

Rob 
Posted on 4-Nov-2016 23:03:04
#154 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Would I be right to assume that GART support in the RadeonHD.chip will improve Warp3D performance too?

Hans 
Posted on 5-Nov-2016 0:34:26
#155 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@Hans

Would I be right to assume that GART support in the RadeonHD.chip will improve Warp3D performance too?

Yes, it would also help with Warp3D.

Hans

nubechecorre 
Posted on 5-Nov-2016 13:03:40
#156 ]
Cult Member

@Hans

Is GART implementation in your todo list? and if I can ask you, when in the roadmap will it be added to radeon hd driver? I guess that it has to be added after or before something else? right?

Last edited by nubechecorre on 05-Nov-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Bitplane

amigakit 
Posted on 5-Nov-2016 13:33:04
#157 ]
Amiga Kit

@nubechecorre

GART support was on our roadmap of course. However there are changes to the Kernel that Hyperion need to make first before we can implement it.

We have many other things planned for continued development of the RadeonHD driver in the Enhnacer Software.

nubechecorre 
Posted on 5-Nov-2016 16:55:19
#158 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Thanks! let's hope Hyperion will do this changes to the kernel as soon as possible :) ;)

Last edited by nubechecorre on 05-Nov-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Bitplane

amigakit 
Posted on 27-Dec-2016 14:02:04
#159 ]
Amiga Kit

@all

The AmigaDeveloper.com Team has been busy since the last public release of the Enhancer Software (v1.1) in August 2016.

There hae been many hours of hard work with updates, enhancements and creation of new content to add to the software package.

We have been pleased at how much work has been achieved in such as short time. The enthusiasm and dedication of the developers, beta testers and translators during 2016 in working towards the goal of each release has been great to see as we follow the ongoing roadmap.

These early releases are to "cement in the pillars and foundations" for future software. As we go back to basics and build, we have found that there are better ways of doing things than have been done before and with a ever changing tech world around us, there are new ideas and concepts to implement to modernise our platform.

The new Enhancer Software v1.2 will follow and represent the third milestone for the team. For the first time to meet popular demand, there is now a low cost version called the Enhancer Software Special Edition. This is aimed at lower specification and older computer systems that cannot use the RadeonHD, Warp3D Nova/OpenGL ES 2.0. The lower priced Special Edition is identical to the other versions of the Enhancer Software however, CANDI, RadeonHD, Warp3D Nova and OpenGL ES 2.0 have been omitted from the package.

We would like to thank everyone that has invested in the previous versions and hope you enjoy the forthcoming free update.

Last edited by amigakit on 27-Dec-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 27-Dec-2016 at 02:04 PM.

-Sam- 
Posted on 27-Dec-2016 16:33:35
#160 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Thanks for the update. Just purchased the existing version and I am very impressed with the quality of the software. There are some really cool pieces of software here.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle