Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

BigD,  OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 BigD:  2 mins ago
 zErec:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 retrofaza:  41 mins ago
 kolla:  55 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  SuperBase Pro Information
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
apsturk 
Re: SuperBase Pro Information
Posted on 17-Jun-2016 20:50:54
#21 ]

@Neilr

"non-Windows versions of Superbase to Oxxi"

Let me be clear. The Amiga version including all source code of SuperBase Amiga was sold off by Oxxi, leaving windows (& Atari) only. There is only one "entity" that owns and holds the sole and full exclusive rights to SuperBase for Amiga. Papatuo Holdings Ltd does NOT own and never did have the rights for the Amiga. Any database that they have or are working on is in no way a direct link back to SuperBase. What they have is something new and totally different. Amiga SuperBase is called SBase4Pro and is not connected in any way with what Papatuo Holdings Ltd is doing or anything they have done.

I have "direct" knowledge of the contract

Profile     Report this post  
neilr 
Posted on 20-Jun-2016 8:12:41
#22 ]

@apsturk

That is what I said. The non-Windows versions were sold by SPC to Oxxi. The right to the Superbase name was not sold to Oxxi. That is why the later Amiga versions were called SBase not Superbase. The version of the source code that represents the final SBasePro version is probably 98% if not higher the same source code that was sold to Oxxi and which made up the old 1.31 Windows version.

I find the statement:

Quote:
Any database that they have or are working on is in no way a direct link back to SuperBase. What they have is something new and totally different.

rather curious. I was the technical director of Superbase Developers plc from 1996 until 2009. I moved to Simpol Ltd. as technical director in 2006, when the source code of Superbase NG changed hands. The same team that delivered the last 5 major releases of the directly compatible Superbase series (and fairly easily convertible from Amiga SBase4Pro), also designed and delivered Superbase NG. We still own the source code to Superbase Classic, which as a development tool was far superior to the Amiga release (I worked as a customer and 3rd-party tools developer with Superbase from the Commodore 64 version forwards, using every single version other than the Atari ST and the Commodore 128 versions).

Once Superbase was sold to SPC, they threw silly money at the product. Version 2's programming language moved from the global variables and GOSUB, GOTO, RETURN syntax of 1.31 and earlier, into the realm of modern programming, with user-definable SUBs and FUNCTIONs, local variables, event driven programming a banded report writer, and much more. It was also translated into 9 languages. The version 3 release went a step further and added object-oriented support for all of the visual elements on the screen, added proper event handling at the control level with onclick, onlostfocus, etc. type events.

Superbase NG is a direct evolution of the design ideas in Superbase 3.x, but in the process it dropped all of the old command-oriented syntax and the 270+ key words. We opted to remove redundancy, reduced the key word set to less than 30, and went with functions and objects to keep things consistent for the programmer. The database engine in the new Superbase was designed by the engineer who was responsible for much of the work in the version 2.x engine.

I am sure you are talking to whoever bought the Oxxi version of SBase4Pro, and you can no doubt acquire the rights to that version of the code, but please don't make assumptions about the heritage of the current Superbase line. I have been there all the way. I still have my free Superbase 4 Pro Amiga version that I got as an alpha/beta tester during the development phase of the product back in 1990-91.

Last edited by neilr on 20-Jun-2016 at 08:13 AM.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 25-Sep-2017 2:42:39
#23 ]

@apsturk,

Any news

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle