Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 168 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 miggymac:  15 mins ago
 Gunnar:  43 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 cncparts:  4 hrs 26 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 12 mins ago
 Beajar:  5 hrs 31 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 33 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  The new Commodore A1200 Reloaded! :-)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
OneTimer1 
Re: Decided! The new Amiga will be called...
Posted on 11-Oct-2016 15:20:29
#61 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

kolla wrote:

Some would argue that the Vampire has just become the hardware for the Natami project ;)

The stand alone Version with the Apollo Core (Apollo Core + Minimig_AGA[?] + HiRes Framebuffer + Ethernet + USB2.0 + Super_Card_Pro Floppy Controller) could be very near to all things promised for the Natami.

I don't know if they will call it Vampire ...

Profile     Report this post  
OneTimer1 
Posted on 11-Oct-2016 15:30:54
#62 ]
Cult Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:

So no, this is not "and old A1200 you can get from ebay"...

This is a original "new" Amiga1200 Case you can get from Vesalia:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_a1200case.htm

And if you need an Amiga1200 inspired Amiga Case, with officially licensed Amiga Label for your RaspberryPI or MiST driven Amiga, you might get it from here:

Your RaspberyPI / Minimig / UAE computer could get a case with a real Amiga licence:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/amiga-case-the-ultimate-retro-style-computer-case#/

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 11-Oct-2016 at 03:36 PM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 11-Oct-2016 20:21:15
#63 ]

@kamelit0

Quote:

kamelit0 wrote:
@TRIPOS

So you're saying that the speed of a 68020 at 14 Mhz will be able to fill the chip ram at the maximum bandwith this memory can take?

Kamelito

I'm saying that what made Fastmem equipped Amiga's so much faster (especially in AGA with high color/high resolution screen modes), was the fact that the CPU never had to wait in line in order to access this type of memory, like it had to do when competing with the Chipset about Chipmem access. With the new Commodore A1200, the CPU can (Edit: according to Individual Computers) access Chipmem at full speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Chip_RAM

Last edited by TRIPOS on 11-Oct-2016 at 09:35 PM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 11-Oct-2016 21:25:24
#64 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@TRIPOS

Those keys need updating. The A1200 case looks nice in the black. But the keys don't match. The colour needs updating. Probably grey like a C16 was with white on top I'd say.

That color was probably just for testing/evaluating the molds. Doesn't really look "proper" black IMHO (or maybe it's just the ambient light in the room?).

From the beginning it was decided that there would be three colors:

1) Original A1200 white
2) Black
3) Transparent (if that's a color )

Then the pallette was extended to 12 options in total:

(Note that these are not actual photos, but merely an illustration (not very accurate obviously) of color options. I bet photos of actual colored cases will be arriving very shortly. Mass production should start this week! )

You can also make dual-color combinations. So you could very well achieve that combination you described!

Personally, I was thinking about a dark blue bottom (to mach a blue floppy emulator display) with a black top, and original white keys. Or perhaps a transparent bottom and some soft white or blue LED's inside to give a cool, discrete ambient glowing light on the desk when the computer is turned on!

And about the keys?

Well, "New Amiga cases are not complete without brand new keys"...

Matching keyboard keys to the cases!

The campaign starts in just 5 days (17th Oct 2016). (Edit: Hopefully it will include the common various international keys, like Å, Ä, Ö, Æ, Ø, Ü, etc)

https://www.a1200.net/new-compatible-key-caps/

Last edited by TRIPOS on 11-Oct-2016 at 09:40 PM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 11-Oct-2016 22:37:19
#65 ]

@ne_one

Quote:

ne_one wrote:
@TRIPOS

Quote:
endorsed by Bill McEwen of Amiga Inc.

You mean he's actually involved with the Amiga in some capacity?

No, I believe he isn't...

Amiga Inc has AFAIK nothing at all to do with the new Commodore A1200, but Bill McEwen (Amiga Inc) has supposedly endorsed the new case project:

Dandy 
Posted on 13-Oct-2016 11:33:56
#66 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:

About the machine:

Commodore A1200 Reloaded is an AGA Amiga

This is exactly the point I don't understand.
It must have been in 2000/2001 when I fitted a graphics card (8mB CVPPC) to my A4k for the first time.
Since then I never looked back to AGA (or ECS, or even OCS).

I'm nearly 60 yrs old now and my visual ablility is decreasing. These old Amiga graphics modes are definitely not healthy for anybodys eyes and should be prohibited today!

Dandy

Tomppeli 
Posted on 13-Oct-2016 13:07:57
#67 ]

I hope those key caps are done together with Loriano and not another attempt of reinventing the wheel.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Oct-2016 14:49:27
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

Quote:
I hope those key caps are done together with Loriano and not another attempt of reinventing the wheel.

didnt know there was caps molded to fit amiga custom keyboard layout to be reinvented. all i was aware of, were caps fitting generic pc keyboards.

Last edited by wawa on 13-Oct-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Oct-2016 15:09:36
#69 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Perhaps it could be the ambient light. And quality of monitor screen. Thanks for all the pictures. The transparent one is invisible here.

I rather fancy the grey one. That catches my eye. Extra nice with brushed aluminum finish.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 20:37:32
#70 ]

@AmigaMac

Quote:

AmigaMac wrote:
This is great news. I think the inclusion of this product coupled with the various expansion options should inject some life into the Amiga hardware market. Now if someone (maybe Individual Computers) can develop Phase5 like PowerPC accelerator cards for the new hardware, that should help with OS4 adoption for those wanting to get their hands on it.

How about the new Phase 5? https://www.facebook.com/phase5digital/

(IMHO this is nothing but a big HOAX!!1!, but it would be interesting to be proven wrong on this one... )

Seriously, to answer your statement of BlizzardPPC - I don't think you (and the others making similar propositions) really grasp what this Commodore A1200 Reloaded is about.

It's not about PPC. It's not about OS4.

It's all about 68k Amiga/Workbench!

Neither PPC, nor OS4 has a place in that "market". This is for Amigans who continued using their Amigas instead of going for the "PPC NG" route some of us did, or for those of us who wants an easy way to return. People wanting a real Amiga, but don't mind it being modernized within the defined Amiga/AGA boundaries. A BlizzardPPC is a rather crappy product from a PPC perspective. And OS4 does not run well on it (no, it doesn't), both from a CPU performance and memory limit perspective, as well as GFX etc. I can see how AeonKit wants to remove memory boundaries in their x86 "Amiga Emulator" laptop UAE device, and in the end that could be a much better deal for OS4 people than a BlizzardPPC equipped Commodore A1200 Reloaded with BPPC. It will be emulation though. The Commodore A1200 is a real, physical 68k AGA machine.

Different markets, different needs.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 20:51:27
#71 ]

@OneTimer1

Quote:

OneTimer1 wrote:
@Kronos

Quote:

Want 8MB chips and other bells&whistles ?

Some implementations of Minimg have it, together with a built in frame buffer for "HiRes" flicker free video.

Minimig is emulation in FPGA, and it's a cool project in itself. But the Commodore A1200 Reloaded is not about emulation. At all. And people, please don't disrespect those who wants the AGA "limitations"! To some, these are what defines the Amiga they love. Going 8MB chipmem, SAGA or 200MHz 060 performance with MMX will not in any way make it "NG" or "Modern", it will only make it non-AGA. Think about it. Being retro is OK. It's a beauty in itself. "NG" can go anywhere, it doesn't need the Commodore A1200 Reloaded H/W, and the Commodore A1200 Reloaded doesn't need "NG". Different markets, different needs!

The Commodore A1200 Reloaded is A1200 done right!

Last edited by TRIPOS on 18-Oct-2016 at 10:07 PM.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 21:14:10
#72 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@TRIPOS

Perhaps it could be the ambient light. And quality of monitor screen. Thanks for all the pictures. The transparent one is invisible here.

I rather fancy the grey one. That catches my eye. Extra nice with brushed aluminum finish.

I agree! New grey case with new board, indie and vampire may be in order if I get the new job I want.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 21:55:34
#73 ]

@Beans

Quote:

Beans wrote:
@pavlor

Quote:
Well TRIPOS cares and I´m disciple of Bill McEwen.

Yeah, TRIPOS is still calling it "Amiga Reloaded", I noticed.

It's not me, I can assure you, it's what this project has been know as (and it has been a well-known project!) from the beginning! It has been its working name, and it's still all over the Wiki, and it was there long before it recently was formally named Commodore A1200 Reloaded!

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Amiga_reloaded

No, I'm in no way "obsessed" with the "Amiga" name, I mentally left that shit gradually after Commodore's bankruptcy, and somewhere during the first half the last decade I dropped it completely, seeing how the name was dragged through the mud and pissed all over by various people trying to use it to milk money from believers like TV preachers selling Jesus. However, "I left it" is not the same thing as being ignorant or not caring about how the brand was misused and exploited, though!

Brands are value containers (and I'm not talking monetary values); ethical, emotional, technological, etc. Brands stand for something. When you see the mention of a carefully defined brand, you connect it to some values in your head. Expensive/cheap, forwards/backwards, groundbreaking/following, etc. It probably is just me, but when I see "Amiga" today, I connect it to stuff like: lunacy, overprices, broken promises, lies, vitriol, lawsuits, Hyperion, Ben Hermans, FUD, religious bickering, profiteering, etc.

But when I saw that the Amiga Reloaded project was being named "Commodore A1200 Reloaded", I realized that "Commodore" still held every single value I once connected to "Amiga". Only the good stuff. "Workbench" being another trade mark with good values IMHO. And seeing that this new "Commodore" machine was also using the real Amiga AGA chips, real 68k CPU's, the(?) real Amiga Kickstart, running the real Workbench, and that you could place it in a container like this...

...it made me jump from joy a bit, because I realized that this "Commodore" machine will be everything I once thought of as "Amiga"!

Quote:
And has anyone heard from Bill recently?
I tried contacting him and got no reply.
He really ought to consider doing something with the last asset he has (the name) before he goes to his grave with it and without accomplishing anything.

Are you a being some kind of "police" here now? And if so, what are you "policing" really? Meaning: what kind of police do you feel you are?

You are not "Amiga Brand-Gestapoing" now, are you?

Last edited by TRIPOS on 18-Oct-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 22:10:07
#74 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Going 8MB chipmem, SAGA or 200MHz 060 performance with MMX will not in any way make it "NG" or "Modern", it will only make it non-AGA.
[/quote]

No it makes things more convenient. Having SAGA doesn't meant to not have AGA or ECS, but having _additional_ video options. For Workbench I prefer a higher resolution thatnprovided by AGA.
Same for the cpu, having something faster is of no disadvantage. Quite the contrary. It's still the 68k stuff, but with enhanced power. That said I like the A1200 reloded project, too.
But My dream would be if a Vampire1200 would fit into an A1200 reloaded: providing the best of them all.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 22:17:58
#75 ]

@OneTimer1

Quote:
Quote:
TRIPOS wrote:

So no, this is not "and old A1200 you can get from ebay"...

This is a original "new" Amiga1200 Case you can get from Vesalia:

Yes I know. Yellowing ABS plastics, none of the improvements, no signatures inside the case, etc.

And that hideous case badge!

Hopefully, Individual Computers will make a reproduction of the classic Commodore A1200 badge. Looking at the various badges of past commitments, it seems like they have a good idea of proper badge designs for the right contexts:

Rob 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 22:20:43
#76 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
No, I'm in no way "obsessed" with the "Amiga" name, I mentally left that shit gradually after Commodore's bankruptcy, and somewhere during the first half the last decade I dropped it completely,

If that's the case then why do you try to disassociate Amiga OS with the Amiga legacy in practically every other post?

TRIPOS 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 22:31:09
#77 ]

@Tomppeli

Quote:

Tomppeli wrote:

Personally, I hope those key capse are done with exactly the same plastics as the case, and with the case colors in mind to make a good match!

TRIPOS 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 22:57:58
#78 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@TRIPOS

Speaking of colors, I just realized how perfect this case would be if it came with a customizable RGB led PCB, so that you could match the color of the LED lights with the case colors!

TRIPOS 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 22:59:42
#79 ]

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

No it makes things more convenient.

Ah!

But don't you see there is a sliding scale? Once you leave the real AGA (or OCS, ECS) machines territory, you can always make "things more convenient" (meaning more "NG") all the way up to the upcoming 64-bit MorphOS "4.0" x64, right?

I will like the latter a lot, it will represent everything I have been dreaming of since the demise of Commodore.

But there is a certain beauty of the real, original machines as well. From a retro perspective (meaning as untouched as possible). The new Commodore A1200 Reloaded will be "more convenient" than the true original, but it will still fit within the original scope!

I think the Minimig etc, Vampire and whatever upcoming extended UAE PowerUP emulation is coming, are cool developments, no doubt, and they will surely have their followers and enthusiasts. But they will neither be really retro, nor really NG. They will be stuck in the middle from a Retro Commodore A1200 Reloaded/MorphOS "4.0" NG point of view. Same as PPC OS's with 68k OS limitations by then.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 23:01:02
#80 ]

@Rob

Please try to think again. And read posts.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle