Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
29 crawler(s) on-line.
 91 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  20 mins ago
 VooDoo:  25 mins ago
 pixie:  36 mins ago
 Hammer:  40 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  59 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 cdimauro:  2 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  My mother asked (again) Could I Buy an Amiga?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PR 
My mother asked (again) Could I Buy an Amiga?
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 3:53:06
#1 ]

Well, Yes.

Can I do the simple things on that like in the pc without all the trouble?

--- No, Sorry.

And This Is True, Humour and also Sad.

What The Hell Is Amiga doing?

A BoingBall Demo?

I Am Serious now. And Waiting for these hundred years with passion.

There could be money to invest in many of our respective parents and all the elders and PR who had fed up with all this pc nonsence crap. but no laptop, net, simple writing proggy, printing, pictures and maybe youtube and even the mighty Skype and facebook.

What ever happened to our Amiga?

Nokia is going the better way hopefully. You Can even call in that damn phone without recharging it everyday;)

Go go Finland! Make The World Better than the uter pc-land.

Simplicity I mean. A Million dollar idea as everybody seems to be pissed with their computers more or less as everybody are not "nerds" like us and also PR too.

Last edited by PR on 15-Mar-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Last edited by PR on 15-Mar-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Last edited by PR on 15-Mar-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Last edited by PR on 15-Mar-2017 at 03:55 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Amigo1 
Re: My mother asked (again) Could I Buy an Amiga?
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 6:09:56
#2 ]

@PR

I enjoy cryptography!

tlosm 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 6:29:59
#3 ]
Elite Member

@PR

yes, your mother can buy and use an amigang machine today and if cant run something because missed or not present on amigaos can swap in linux and do all usual things right, without many issue and pretty fast nerd on: me on amigaos ... nerd off: my wife use linux on ng.
but if real world on: your mather can buy a china 100€ mini pc atom and do there what she need too. amiga ng is only for amigans with nerd switch on.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 13:26:52
#4 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Quote:
Can I do the simple things on that like in the pc without all the trouble?

Without all the trouble of a PC?

Raffaele 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 13:34:43
#5 ]

No matter they were from... Mothers are usually a pain in the a... a... ...Amiga...

Birbo 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 13:50:56
#6 ]
Cult Member

@PR

My Mom never used computers in her entire life and had a lot of troubles with using the mouse and the keyboard and so on.

Since she has a tablet, I'm impressed by the way she is doing all sort of things (even editing movies). Installing and updating Apps is still something she does not like and it's my job to keep everything up-to-date.

Otherwise the simplicity of a tablet is great for people who are not used to use a computer.

Signman 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 13:56:39
#7 ]

@PR

Translation please.

PR 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 14:12:45
#8 ]

In reality I'm talking about myselve when I'm old.

My mother uses a laptop impressively well but still losing her nerves sometimes with all the pc not so usefull and sometimes clicking at things in hurry as many companies that the pc sucks.

I can not agree more.

They have to buy a new one ever so often if errorly installed win10 that I'm in a picnick with that. (=dont know what to with those immediately, chose a Powerful machine with reasonable Win7)

With OS4 everything is in it's place!

With Windows I have to search and search if was a user or not or there or here or pictures or in in my language pictures or Cannot delete IE? Well You Understand but I'm lost even in my own computer. Never in an Amiga.

Also the paps wants to surf occasionally.

How can it be so hard?

One button for internet. Maybe I'm out of rule but Please make me a computer without too much hassle.

Got an Turbo XE and a 060PIV and but they just are not up to it if not Amiga related nor is any Spices.

Just the four keys we do not have anymore.

If there would be a possibility to inject something in my brain Oh boy I would code the Killer App.

Starting From:

Like in Install what I like in Amiga: Do You want to be Novice , Amateur Or PRofessional?

This is from real life.

Also my Brother loses his nerves with a pc. And My Sister and my.. not so old.

The Reality is just that they do work. Not sit on a computer to learn all clitches every now and then.

Well I'll go painting some more. That was just my usuall xxx Sorry if bothering if somebody wants to make millions.

I would just like Amiga to come back. Simple and so interesting. Not allways install this, make a cup of coffee. Do You want a Virus? Ok accidentally. Got it, clicked hahhahh.. The Neverending Grandma Story;)

Everything is not about benchmarks.

It is about the very good layer underneath we have.

Hoping and Supporting The Best!

Then We'll (You) Get the Grannies ten euros/dollars a piece as they do, believe me, they have the cash to make the life a bit easier.

(Not trying to rip off any elders but my parents and many others would happily spend a few hundred more/ each just to get it right like PR has spent thousands on this journey and still is whinig here:)

PR

Last edited by PR on 15-Mar-2017 at 02:29 PM.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 14:17:41
#9 ]
Cult Member

@PR

Back in 1999, I was trying to teach my mother how to use an Amiga. She could not understand the WIMP user interface at all; however, she loved the AmigaDOS CLI. She grew up in a word/text based world. People who grew up in the 70s and beyond have a better understanding of pictorial representation or icons.

In terms of mothers who are used to Mac/Windows, Amiga is still going to be a learning curve. It does not have the software base that the big OSs have. With that said, the past few years seem to have been the busiest in Amiga software and hardware development since 1993. We may soon see LibreOffice, a capable web browser, 3D, effects, and other content that we haven't seen in a long while if ever. The question is how patient are you or your mom?

I would dare to say that the reason anyone is an Amiga user today is patience.

PR 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 15:54:48
#10 ]

From the beginning that was cool.

Patience since the XE was launched and there was somekind of os, was quite of cool.

So 2017-2002? = 15 years.

I'd call that patience.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 3:07:00
#11 ]
Elite Member

@PR

"PC nonsense crap"?

Seriously guy, grow the freak up.
Its not the 80's anymore and we're no longer children (even if many of us act like it).

Contrary to what you're trying to pretend, the opposite is true. Amigas are a p.I.t.a, and PCs " just work".
Don't like explorer? Replace it. Don't like Windows even? Replace it.

With the Amiga its a constant battle trying to get by, and very, very expensive to even enter the battle field. Spend $100 on a PC and you get a more capable machine that is able to just go about its business, generally with little hassle. They support industry standards that the computing world at large just expects to be there. Amiga users have to wait years and years just for an office suite. Amiga has no flash, silver light, java, heck apart from AROS even JavaScript is iffy.

Now I like the Amiga as much as anyone (more so I'd say given the surprising lack of real knowledge many supporters seem to have about the system), but I'm not delusional. Amiga is very much a hobby system, and one of the last I'd recommend to people who just want a machine/system that just works.

Honestly, this moronic evangelism by people with a head in the sand approach has done more harm than good. Don't confuse personal incompetence for a machines abilities.

resle 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 7:23:50
#12 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

...and that explains why he can't load a simple html5 page like google translate - hence remaining impossible to comprehend.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 7:46:44
#13 ]
Elite Member

@resle

Its a weird situation. Amiga fans have both played a large part in destroying the system and kept the life support system going.

Collectively it seems we're masochists :)
Individuals however have, and still do some cool stuff.

Threads like this definitely fall into the former. It gets tiring and drives many realists (the vast majority of the people who do the constructive&interesting) away. No rational and/or sane person wants to be associated with stupidity. :)

paolone 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 10:53:10
#14 ]

@fishy_fis

Couldn't agree more. PCs (or MACs) are nowadays Amigas, you generally turn 'em on, click twice, and get what you want. Stop dot. Someone may tell the same for their tablet, or their mobile phone. But what makes the true difference is software availability: godzillions of programs that can do whatever you want, the way you need 'em. Many of them even free.

@PR

I don't wanna enter a polemic loop, however there's nothing sillier than "shouting at the PC", in particular when people insist trying to do things the same way they did before, without even bothering to understand the DIFFERENCES evolution, by definition, makes to habits. There's nothing really wrong in Windows or Linux when they change something, every change being made has its reason and a user should try at least to understand why something has changed. Sometimes, i even change things in Icaros Desktop, but when I make some change, there is a need or a reason for that.

Instead of shouting, just youtube. Today there's a tutorial for everything.

Hypex 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 14:01:01
#15 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:

Oh I hate that. Even on a computer where videos work I find them slow. The worse ones I think are people typing on screen what they expect you to type in. I'm expected to copy and paste from a video?

I prefer a guide with step by step instrunctions and pictures telling me what I need to do. I can breeze through it. And examine any diagrams at my own pace.

paolone 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 14:50:14
#16 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@paolone

Quote:

Oh I hate that. Even on a computer where videos work I find them slow. The worse ones I think are people typing on screen what they expect you to type in. I'm expected to copy and paste from a video?

I prefer a guide with step by step instrunctions and pictures telling me what I need to do. I can breeze through it. And examine any diagrams at my own pace.

Obvious. But no one forbides you to pause the video, read what's written there, and copy exactly on your shell. :)

andres 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 16:14:29
#17 ]

PCs and Mac aren't absolutely nowdays Amigas.
They are the exact opposite of what the Amiga was (intended as OS).
Those systems are completely automated, and do infinite things without any user's move. Often against his own will.
They do an incredible and complicated confusion behind the scenes.
And, to be honest, they are crap.
An OS should be measured in MB not GB.

It lacks a system that puts the user at the center, not the manufacturer, the app market etc...
Something more and more manual and less and less automated.
I understand that such a system wouldn't be for the masses, but it's something that would be interesting for some people, quite a lot of people.

Home Recording Audio

fishy_fis 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 17:10:25
#18 ]
Elite Member

@andres

No offense, but that's nonsense.
There's plenty of OSes for PCs that are measured in MBs, not GBs. QNX is smaller than AmigaOS for example. Heck, even Windows is of comparable size if you disable page and swap files (which is the vast, vast majority of the size of a Windows install). A good chunk of the rest are system apps that come with an OS, APIs and drivers. Scale *any* system back as far as AmigaOS and sizes aren't drastically different. Similarly, add the same sorts of functionality to AmigaOS as a modern OS and it can become quite large. A 1200p/32bit backdrop is the same size, regardless of the OS (hopefully you understand this metaphor).
Also if a person bothers to learn the system a user has total control over it. The difference is you don't have to, 'cos for the most part it just works. Apart from those who lack the knowledge there's absolutely no reliance on "the manufacturer, the app market, etc.". Heck, if a person was inclined they could use pretty much the exact same software as Amiga users. Granted you'd be mad given all the extra, more powerful software available to those systems, but if a person wants to use a bunch of small, basic software then they have that option too. Amiga users tend to know their system well because you have to if you want a usable system.

As I said before don't mistake incompetence and lack of knowledge for a systems shortcomings. A lot of the time PEBCAM applies. Its like me suggestion a harp is crap simply because I've played guitar for 30 years.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 16-Mar-2017 at 05:17 PM.

PR 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 20:35:09
#19 ]

@fishy_fis

PR will never grow up:) I live in the 80's.... Iron Maiden, Your AC/DC, Amiga, Corvette C4..

Seriously:

Win7 is very good and fast with a powerfull computer and all works. There is not just complete control over it if not a total nerd. DirOpus9 was in the last pc before it messed up because it just writed things everywhere (XP) and lost a lot of Work. Some are in backup, my Amiga has never lost anything. Simple as that.

Was just suggesting when I "grow up" (;)=) that there is a need that put the computer on, look at the things that You can even find unlike files in Win when some programs install everywhere and if You are a bit in a hurry and click something it installs a s#it load of unwanted stuff.

@all

Nice read. The idea was still: Simplicity.

Just like QNX in one disk. Amazing. Still have it. There would be a lot of space in todays gigabytes after that OS to put Your selfies..

Can we Please stop. I think the key people got the message what some are after.

Best Regs, PR

Edit: My work is to deliver what promised or be there in a minute schedule. No, not a postman, humour men and women.

Last edited by PR on 16-Mar-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Last edited by PR on 16-Mar-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Last edited by PR on 16-Mar-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Jose 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 23:56:33
#20 ]
Cult Member

Agree with most points except facebook. I honestly never understood why anyone loses time with that cr*ap apart from maybe just checking it out to see what they're missing (or gaining...).

José

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle