Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 134 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  2 mins ago
 retrofaza:  14 mins ago
 kolla:  17 mins ago
 saimo:  24 mins ago
 A1200:  26 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  31 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  54 mins ago
 zipper:  54 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga one SE cant install OS 4.0 or Debian
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Amiga one SE cant install OS 4.0 or Debian
Posted on 10-May-2017 15:14:08
#41 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

Ok. I was hoping to see an image of the updater failing. Since that's what your post implied.

Profile     Report this post  
pearson101 
Posted on 19-May-2017 6:28:35
#42 ]

@Hypex

Hi

Thanks i will try your os again to see if i can get it installed.

Just an update i have got the new firmware burnt to the bios chip now and i can install os4.0 now at last this installs great but i cannot install os 4.1 fe it just hangs reading the cd rom with the splash screen which is strange i know i have also tried to read the cd with os 4.0 pre - release already installed inwhich it does ok

Do i have to update the pre-release 4.0 version first with an update to install 4.1? or is it hardware incompatibility why the 4.1 fe is hanging.

Thanks

Tomppeli 
Posted on 19-May-2017 9:20:02
#43 ]

@pearson101

Quote:
it just hangs reading the cd rom with the splash screen

How long you waited for ? Maybe some of the FFS partitions is validating and it takes longer to get to Workbench because of that ?

I would have said it's USB problem but you said you got 4.0 installed. Getting to splash screen it means Kickstart is loaded and running (so no IDE addon card problem and you said you don't even have any). I have made a modified CD for the SE myself with every OS release where all USB stuff is removed and some device drivers switched to older versions.

Which graphics card do you have ?

Quote:
i have got the new firmware burnt to the bios chip now and i can install os4.0

Nice to hear you got the Uboot problem solved.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 19-May-2017 at 09:21 AM.

pearson101 
Posted on 19-May-2017 16:16:55
#44 ]

@Tomppeli

Hi thanks for getting back to me I am using a voodoo graphics cars with the system

I Have tried different CD and DVD ROM drives compatible with the g3se and still a problem not loading hangs

With is 4.0 do I need to do update to this before I can install 4.1 fe its a strange one if I start with a new install its shows the splash screen without any activity HD or CD ROM
Just wondering if get into the sata way with a pci card but I may require drivers and os installed first
Whats is a good card to achieve this. Can I try burning another CD first just in case its a bad cd disk maybe

Thanks again

Hypex 
Posted on 19-May-2017 17:03:24
#45 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

Good you are on your way. With 4.0 installed you can test the Debian installer.

FE is a fresh install only. The days of OS updating are over apparently.

So, when booting the FE CD, it was at cold boot with UBoot booting it and loading Kickstart off it?

Also bring up the early start menu (mouse buttons held down) after Kickstart has loaded off FE CD and make sure the CD is default boot. If not and it tried to boot off HD that looks like your problem.

If that all passes the test then I can only think of DMA issues. The SE has a few. In that case, easiest is if you still have OS4.0 bootable off HD. There should be a UBoot Prefs on there. On the IDE tab yo can switch all on board units to "Best PIO" to disable DMA.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 19-May-2017 17:38:56
#46 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

Things can go really wrong if you, your not used to AmigaONE computers, and AmigaOS, AmigaOS has some called boot priority. It defines what Partition that is going to be loaded, it Trump any action you have taken in UBOOT, if HD boot priority is higher than the CDROM boot priority, you end up booting AmigaOS4.0 on Kickstart4.1 this probably not going to work so well for you. as a result can be as you describe a frozen system. If you typed the wrong command in UBOOT, you might also experience AmigaOS4.1 being trying to be booted from Kickstart4.0, that is also going to not work at all. What does you boot screen look like, when your trying to boot from AmigaOS4.1 CD? Is it the correct startup image?

2en, thing while booting you can enter the kickstart menu, this is done by pressing LEFT+RIGHT mouse button like on old Amiga, right after kickstart modules are being loaded, or you can press SCROLL LOCK like crazy, from here you can pick the bootable media you wont to continue booting from or you can go into SHELL. You can also go into AmigaDOS/Shell by pressing SHIFT I believe while booting. (on classic Amiga It was CTRL+D I believe).

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 19-May-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 19-May-2017 at 05:48 PM.

pearson101 
Posted on 19-May-2017 18:48:18
#47 ]

@Hypex

thanks for getting back yeah the cd loading stops after kickstart reading from the cd like hangs also i tried holdinf the mouse buttons and it did nothing at all using a ps2 mouse

checked hboot cant see dma setting in there i will have alook in os 4.0 for them

at least the internet works on ibrowse for 30mins lol

will try your linux cd over the weekend thanks again for your advise i will be busy lol at least i have a half system that works without usb lol fun fun

pearson101 
Posted on 19-May-2017 18:52:25
#48 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

thanks for the advise i have tried this without success hitting the mouse buttons, maybe it could be the kickstart booting problem but it was booting of the cd rom drive as the main 1st drive in hboot etc

i will try again over the weekend

Hypex 
Posted on 22-May-2017 12:11:06
#49 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

At this point with it freezing it might be a good time to get out the serial cable:

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Advanced_Serial_Debugging_Guide

Or, in fact, just try booting my Linux CD, and see how far it gets. Linux kernels tend to pick up on RAM and USB problems pretty quickly. And HD/DMA issues. That OS4 can breeze over. You can usually see the kernel get stuck and find a message on screen. And can also turn DMA and USB on or off to test which isn't as easy to do when booting OS4.

Given OS4.0 does boot suggests the problem is with OS4.1.

What is the layout of your system? RAM amount and type? HD and any controllers?

pearson101 
Posted on 28-May-2017 8:28:33
#50 ]

@Hypex

Hey Guys

Just another update on the system

Hi have managed to install OS 4.0 to the system with July 2007 update which is a great step, interent working i can download programs etc, but still have the issue of the splash screen hanging on os 4.1fe after loading kickstart from cd i have even tried os 4,1fe update burnt to cd and still the same issue

I have tried seven cd/dvd rom drives cleaned the heads checked cables ide masters on ide only bought a PCI TO IDE ATA RAID HDD CONTROLLER CARD 2 PORTS SIL680 CHIPSET works ok with the cd booting from this and harddrive and still the same issue hangs on splash screen when installing 4.1fe.
my setup is
Eyetech g3 se motherboard
Kingston memory pc133 512 dim, 128mb dim total of 640mb( i have swapped the memory out tried x1 at a time)) from banks(ordered anew 512mb matching dim to try) just incase a memory issue?
x1 toshiba 2.5 20gb harddrive
x1 samsung 3.5 4gb harddrive
Sil680 pci card
SoundBlaster pci card works fine in os 4.0
usb 2.0 pci card working fine in os 4.0
cyborg v3 rumble pad works ok system fines it in os 4.0
usb ocz mouse works ok -os 4.0
video radeon 7000 64mb
========
Also i have pulled everything out pci cards and tried adding one at a time without success.

Looks like i cannot install os 4.1fe to this version of motherboard - deleveloper edition 1st release)) i dont know

I would like to get 4.1fe on working so i can try the latest software emulators for amiga Runinuae etc

With OS 4.0 i do get software errors after installing elf library missing or gui med errors etc this is i believe is due that most software is now written for 0S 4.1fe nowadays.

One thing though i can setup e uae with working with workbench running 3.1 ok and with whdload games trying to get to work with Runinuae i can boot some ADF games with sound but i cannot quit Runinuae emulation got to power down system all the time also the joystick wont work on ports 0 or 1. I think its a software issue with the latest version being installed so if somebody can help it would kindly noted and appreciated please to guide me to what version i need to be running to have a stable classic amiga running under os4.0 july 2007 update installed.

Many thanks for your previous posts and help on these issues.

its very upsetting i cant get ios 4.0fe to work but if i can get a stable amiga classic emulator and software that will work with 4.0 still that will be good for me.without the elf issue library error lol

Well at least i have got internet

Draby 
Posted on 28-May-2017 11:04:12
#51 ]

@pearson101

Hi, i have a working G3SE with OS4.1 FE and throughout the various iterations of the OS the splash screen problem would be there.
The culprit was "MODULE Kickstart/uhci.usbhcd" which mean't after the install has finished and before removing the disc to boot from the hard drive you had to get into the "installed" SYS:Kickstart/Kicklayout, and comment out that module.
There are other modules I've commented out, but only because the hardware does not exist on the machine.
Hope this helps,

Draby

Tomppeli 
Posted on 28-May-2017 11:40:02
#52 ]

@pearson101

Now you have Sii0680 card, replace the sys:Kickstart/sii0680ide.device.kmod in 4.1FE with an older version. The last version which works on the SE is v53.3.

You said you have a USB PCI card which works in 4.0 so you shouldn't have USB problems. Make sure the motherboards USB is disabled in UBoot's settings (menu).

pearson101 
Posted on 28-May-2017 12:42:58
#53 ]

@Draby

Thanks for the info i have disabled this module now in os 4.0 - trying to boot install frm cd now.

still getting the hangup after doing this alteration commenting out the module how you got any more ideas?

thanks

pearson101 
Posted on 28-May-2017 12:43:43
#54 ]

@Tomppeli

Will try this thanks when i get 4.1fe up and running thanks for the help

pearson101 
Posted on 28-May-2017 12:46:02
#55 ]

@Draby

hi yes i am getting the hang before 4.1fe installation the system is just reading the disk after reading the kickstart from the cd rom

thanks

pearson101 
Posted on 28-May-2017 13:51:26
#56 ]

@pearson101

Hi i have tried changing the module as you described before without success now changing the udma pio properties to see if this makes a difference on the pci card ide sil0690

THANKS

pearson101 
Posted on 28-May-2017 14:01:39
#57 ]

@pearson101

Update tried too update to 4.1fe again cd light on disk spinning this is a plextor drive connected too the pci ide card secondary 2

cant hear any harddrive activity neither just hangs like before

thanks alot guys anyway for your great help here its really helpful

regards

pearson101 
Posted on 28-May-2017 14:04:13
#58 ]

@pearson101

If i cant get this working amiga os 4.1fe i think i will use linux instead on this machine but i really want the system working lol its crazy but i have been on this project along time now i dont want to give up yet lol

Draby 
Posted on 28-May-2017 14:59:01
#59 ]

@pearson101

Don't know if you've had a look at Hyperion's message boards yet, but here are a couple of G3SE threads about similar problems:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1664

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=256
Draby

Hypex 
Posted on 28-May-2017 15:19:34
#60 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

640MB is an odd amount. Your AmigaOne will always need more than 640MB of memory.

In reality the module size should match. But some boards don't like two dimms. And the RAM should be registered server RAM regardless.

As suggested, disable all USB ports from UBoot, and pulling that USB2 card would be a good idea as well. Somewhere along the line OS4.1 got USB2 support. OS4.0 only has USB 1.1 support at best so it ignores the USB2 hardware which prevents the hardware crashing.

Your Radeon 7000 is now classic. AGP or PCI?

I'd recommend to have a dual boot system with OS4.0 and OS4.1 but you can't boot either one from the SLB menu without hacking a custom Kicklayout.

You could try hacking a boot CD together without USB modules halting boot. On OS4.0, you should have AmiDVD as a contrib. Insert the OS4.1 CD and copy the contents to RAM. Or HD if you lack RAM. Now locate the following files from CD root:
Kickstart/Kicklayout
System/Kickstart/Kicklayout

Edit the files and remove the lines containing this:
MODULE Kickstart/uhci.usbhcd
MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd

You could actually leave the last line in if you pull your USB2 card out. But best to remove it and be on the safe side.

Now insert your CD/RW you wish to burn the patched CD too. Load up AmiDVD. Tick "On the fly" Set source to the root of the patched OS4 CD drawer. Name it as you wish. Tick both boot options below it. Goto Burn tab, select your drive and burn away!

You should have now created a patched OS4.1 CD. Leave it in the drive and hard reboot. Good luck!

You can also use MakeCD but it's more clicking around and stuffing about.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle