Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
32 crawler(s) on-line.
 117 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  4 mins ago
 Rob:  10 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  26 mins ago
 t0lkien:  31 mins ago
 amigakit:  52 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Troels:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaOneX5000 Review
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
amigakit 
Re: AmigaOneX5000 Review
Posted on 24-May-2017 18:41:04
#21 ]
Amiga Kit

An interesting review.

I am wondering why Jeremy did not receive his OEM boxed copy of the Enhancer Software with the X5000

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 24-May-2017 18:41:29
#22 ]
Elite Member

@apsturk

Quote:
The first review of "ANY" AmigaNG computer from an international PC/Tech magazine/webzine is up

I don´t think so...

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2005/01/amiga/

Thanks for link, really good source for Wikipedia AmigaOne article.

daveyw 
Posted on 24-May-2017 20:43:43
#23 ]

@apsturk

A good read. I'm glad he found the time from playing Hawkeye to write the review.

I haven't had as much time to play with my X5000 as I would've liked to, but I'm enjoying it. Still haven't thrown anything at it that will really test its power, but once I get FFMpeg running I'll throw some transcodes at it and see what it can do.

The backplane in his photos looks totally different to mine, aside from the fact that mine is white. This one has a more professional finish to the edges. Also, mine actually covers the Ethernet port above the USB ports.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

SACC-dude 
Posted on 24-May-2017 20:50:19
#24 ]

@fishy_fis
Yes... and YOU remind us every time you have a chance.

I don't think it's too expensive!

So enough, PLEASE.

Let each person decide their own budget...

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
@eliyahu

Did you read the comments? They pretty much mirrored the daily opinions of many here....
"Too expensive", "Too underpowered", etc.

Point being, judging by the comments not one person was really interested in buying one, so Id be surprised if the review bought in any new users.
On the plus side, lots of people seemed to think it was cool, just not something they'd buy.
On the downside, a lot of the praise it received was based on the fact it has an inbuilt fpga, which it doesnt, so most of the interest was based on features it doesnt have :)

Bit of a sidebar, but there was quite a bit of inaccurate stuff in the review too.

Last edited by SACC-dude on 24-May-2017 at 08:52 PM.

BoingBear 
Posted on 24-May-2017 22:53:07
#25 ]

@SACC-dude

Quote:

SACC-dude wrote:
@fishy_fis
Yes... and YOU remind us every time you have a chance.

I don't think it's too expensive!

So enough, PLEASE.

Let each person decide their own budget...

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
@eliyahu

Did you read the comments? They pretty much mirrored the daily opinions of many here....
"Too expensive", "Too underpowered", etc.

Point being, judging by the comments not one person was really interested in buying one, so Id be surprised if the review bought in any new users.
On the plus side, lots of people seemed to think it was cool, just not something they'd buy.
On the downside, a lot of the praise it received was based on the fact it has an inbuilt fpga, which it doesnt, so most of the interest was based on features it doesnt have :)

Bit of a sidebar, but there was quite a bit of inaccurate stuff in the review too.

Woah there Sacc_dude, did fishy hit a nerve or something (again)? Fishy did not say that ALL members here think that the X5000 is TOO expensive, just "many".

I personally don't believe that the X5000 is "over priced", considering what it took A-Eon to get it designed and manufactured, but the X5000 is expensive by anyone's perspective, when compared to other personal computer systems, and cost is definitely a relative consideration for any review to mention. Fishy didn't only mention that the reviewer commented on the cost of the X5000, he also mentioned several inaccuracies stated in the review, that should have been corrected by the author, if he had done his homework. The whole point of doing a review of a new product, is to give accurate information for others to consider, when making their own decisions (including the price of the product, in most reviews).

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 25-May-2017 9:29:07
#26 ]
Elite Member

Sorry,

i didn't notice that there was already another thread for this topic.

Btw, i really liked the review. It proves that a Next Gen Amiga is Actually buyable.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-May-2017 9:31:57
#27 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

This was the first one, I have no idea way the other one was made.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 25-May-2017 12:29:08
#28 ]
Elite Member

@BoingBear

Its pretty funny actually.
The only 2 times Ive mentioned the price of the x5000 in months (possibly longer, I dont recall having done it before) are here in this thread, which was in response to eliyahu, pointing out that if one judges the comments following the article than many people echo the sentiment many have that its too expensive and underpowered (wasnt even offering a personal opinion, just an overview of others comments), and once on amiga.org when someone asked for info/suggestions to get back into the amiga with a budget of only a few hundred dollars at most. Some people tried to steer him in the direction of the x5000 and I pointed out that its about 15x his budget, so not an option.

Really seems to have gotten his panties in a twist over that and since he seems to have held a grudge against me.
One of the funniest things he's done since is to act as a cheerleader all in support of Iggy's response to me in another thread on amiga.org, despite the fact that Iggy had accidently quoted me rather than the person he was addressing. Not only that but the quotes that he acted as cheerleader for are completely contradictory to their (accidental) response.

Oh well, water off a ducks back and actually highly amusing.
Lets see how the next panty twist unfolds. Will it be based on reality, or some continued imagined slight.
Only time will tell :)

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 25-May-2017 12:54:28
#29 ]

@fishy_fis

Debating the price is a bit pointless. Is the X5000 expensive? Yes it is. Does it has reasons to be as expensive as it is? Yes it has. Would it be a good AmigaOne for someone on a budget? Wait for the A1222.

Sums op my thoughts.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-May-2017 13:02:38
#30 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

To add to that, when people start upgrading some of people are going sell their old Sam440 or Sam460, X1000, so people can buy used system for good price.

a Sam460 is computer is with full Nova support, so not bad system for 2017.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 01:09 PM.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 25-May-2017 13:15:35
#31 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

That's the point. For the people who are just curious about the Amiga, they will opt for cheaper systems. I'd see the X5000 rather as a developer or enthusiast system. I can't afford it myself.

Srtest 
Posted on 25-May-2017 14:45:05
#32 ]

Well, when think about sums I'm sorry I've spent or let say money not well spent, I think about 20 years of buying crappy systems with horrible os just for school, gaming and work. So i guess according to some people if you spent thousands on bad systems which you need to change every 3 years is better than on a system that you are happy to use everyday. I of course talk about the A1000, 2000 and 4000 that worked for me for more than a decade until I needed something else for school.

Last edited by Srtest on 25-May-2017 at 02:50 PM.

iggy 
Posted on 25-May-2017 14:56:14
#33 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
...some (of )people are going sell their old Sam440 or Sam460...

Anyone that wants to sell a SAM460 at a reasonable price, please contact me, as I can't find one at all.

And I have no interest in the A1222.

The X5000 though...that's not overpriced to me either, I'd just prefer to hold off buying until the 4 core variant comes out.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-May-2017 15:14:53
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

Does that not depend on what you wont to do with it?
If you only going to play old games on your computer, then you don't need a new one.

But let say you like use a web browser, use modern tools like Gimp, if like make new programs, or need more computer power for rendering images, video editing in more then 320x200 (NTSC/PAL) or anything like that, it is possible that more CPU, higher screen resolutions, or better sound quality is something you might wont invest into.

There are many systems that provides that, but there is only one AmigaOS, you know

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Srtest 
Posted on 25-May-2017 15:34:23
#35 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I gave those comps as a relative example that the comparison between the X5000 and pc could have been made as well regarding the old bigger Amigas and their pc counterparts for the last 20 years. Those used 3rd party graphics and sound in a fundamentaly different maket so you can't compare that to whole systems like the old Amigas so you need to remove graphics and sound from that equation and surprise surprise - when you put in the X1000 a GCN card and a great sound card it gives you something that goes over the head of the basic power vs power comparison. It gives you the A1 experience which I guess continues to rub some people here the wrong way. Of course those people couldn't answer a single question I asked them about the computing world nowdays because all they know is their little bubble and being anti current developments.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-May-2017 16:24:15
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

Quote:
fundamentaly different maket

So back in the day, TV was NTSC/PAL Amiga was great for this we had genlocks, video toaster's, we had this special market where every was so unique, different, now days TV's have HDMI, basically DVI on steroids, DVI or HDMI is what modern graphic card provided, now any PC or MAC can do that. It's nothing special anymore. Scala people log ago migrated to PC, Lightwave people ended up on PC.

When the expert found that PC graphic card where better, you were able to do what they need to on faster and better hardware, they left, PC hardware vendors won, the hardware war, Amiga/Atari people did see the PC as treat at the time, big mistake.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Srtest 
Posted on 25-May-2017 17:30:20
#37 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

First of all let me say that I'm sick of seeing threads about what could have been if only... A group of people produced an amazing personal computer that was great and took us as far as possible taking the different powers into consideration (which Amiga at one time enjoyed such as being an affordable computer for the masses).

Now, from one pov the argument here is a matter of understanding each other. This means when I say gaming, school, work and you say hdmi and lightwave we are talking about the same thing, other than Emotion taking us in right direction with its support of subtitles. However then there is a small part which should be the discussion as far as I'm concerned:

A. The way you do stuff other than simply opening the app/game/etc. One cay say it is only about the app and the game so in a lot of ways that justifies the move to consoles and tablets. Why need a comp at all nowsays if not to get a certain task done? My nephew was asked recently what he wanted for his birthday and I found myself trying to convince him and his mom to go for a pc rather than a playstation, and failed. Can you imagine? So in a lot of ways this is an obsolete discussion and the way mac people for years have pitched their platform was on the basis of the way you do stuff with a large emphasis on style over substance. Then, you have those rare occurances when the 2 collide: when I put the game Colonization on and found out I could play it with the workbench menus and stuff it became magical. It was special. Maybe the way you feel about using certain apps and even serious stuff is also relevant from a day-to-day perspective. I think so. Maybe the reason a lot of people hate computers is because they had to go through a horrible ("powerful") system to get to what they needed to do.

B. When I was kid owning a comp was no ordinary thing. Owning an amiga? even more so. It made sense when you finally bought a new comp it replaced the one you had and used. I have here a pc from 10 years ago with a new gfx card that does everything and then some. When I was in the pc realm I guess in that time frame I would have got a new one. I guess that would have been money well spent according to some people here. Yet a 10 years old pc is perfectly suitable to do what I need it to do. Why not go for something I really like? I will never say spend money you don't have or neglect your family or anything like that. I'm saying it's a broader vision of investing in your fun. Fun isn't a dirty word.

_____

Edit: added something about the Emotion player in the second paragraph.

Last edited by Srtest on 25-May-2017 at 05:48 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 25-May-2017 17:37:18
#38 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

Not sure if that's a follow up to my post, or you've misuderstood.
I never said anything about the price myself. I merely re-iterated the general consensus of others in the comments of the article.

Personally I wouldnt buy one if it was even 1/4 of the price. That 10-15 year old performance is, for my tastes pretty boring. Give me something weaker, but interesting (A1222 for example), or vaguely in the realm of current. The area the x5000 sits in is neither.... it could be called fast retro or slow modern. I've been using amiga-oid OSes on faster hardware for about a decade and its hard to go backwards, especially when my interests benefit from raw grunt (emulation, video, compiling, gaming, etc.)..... it's simply not for me.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 25-May-2017 at 05:42 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-May-2017 18:20:07
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

A)
Quote:
you do stuff with a large emphasis on style over substance.

sure, your correct, but I see it more as an emotional choose, not logical choose. sure say it's about style, the small footprint of OS is appealing to me and reanalyze any short coming in the OS with this can be fixed, which means I'm a fanatic.

I'm not in position where have to make hard choices about toy/console, or a PC.
I have PS3 that is collecting dust, I have PC, and I have two AmigaONE's, and maybe an Amiga 500 somewhere, if it was not thrown away.

I was times when lost my job, did make money, where forced choose differently, so I know how what that is. I'm not here to say that everyone have to upgrade, what I simply reject is the idea the AmigaONE system have to be extremely overpriced, that is not true, there are decent used system that, people who upgrade are willing to part with.

B)
I think there is no problem with staying with 10 years old PC for now, but world does stop just because you choose too, there will be new video format. There devices and things that make your current one obsolete, they will invent new plugs and cable standards, just so will need to buy adapters and new charring cables, that is the profit driven consumer market.

I have made choices too; I have really old TV; just old plasma only HD Ready, having the last TV is just Luxury, sure thinking about replacing it few times, but works for my needs. But I don't go around nagging that the new TV's are so expensive just because I have old Plasma TV.

I'm not driving the newest car, so one has to make chooses in life, unless money just rains on you.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-May-2017 at 06:21 PM.

JKD 
Posted on 25-May-2017 20:06:38
#40 ]

@apsturk

Nice! \m/

Oh to have an arm and leg to sell to make this happen!

Where is Amiga on the Lake located?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle