Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Troels

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  18 mins ago
 Rob:  23 mins ago
 zipper:  47 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Comi:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  E-UAE-SDL 1.0.0. AmigaOS 4.1.1
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sir_RUSH 
E-UAE-SDL 1.0.0. AmigaOS 4.1.1
Posted on 1-Aug-2017 18:15:16
#1 ]

Hello Amigans,

I have a challenge here. I finally got the subject running with my AmigaOne X5000 with Picasso UAEGfx screens. I have my own OS 3.5 install running pretty well as a 68040, in either RDB or without. Whew!! Not the same as WinUAE, haha!

What I'm attempting to do now is got some better Hard Drive (Hard file) access speeds as well as better "VSync" with Slam Tilt and other games that do a up and down scrolling (fast). Better hard drive speed would be good for Beneath a Steel Sky CD32 WHDLoad Preloading voices. For my A4000 this happens within about 10 to 15 minutes or so. But with this Emulation, it's more like 20 to 25.

Note: I found that if I increase the buffers to 5000 in the RDB this really helps, otherwise it's very, very slow. Has anyone found a way to increase the hard file access with about the normal 80 buffers?

I've played with Prefs/GUI Composite and, of course, the UAE config file..and nothing is changing the scrolling to be smooth constantly. Once in a while "tearing" or "jitters" happen. Windowed or Fullscreen, same thing. I'm wondering if this is a bug in the AGA emulation.

I would would be willing to leave the RDB buffers high for constantly "smooth" game scrolling, haha.

I appreciate the help, everyone.

P.S. I've looked around with DuckDuckGo.com (better than Google that doesn't track...) and little offered.

Edited Title to reject better OS version.

Last edited by Sir_RUSH on 01-Aug-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Last edited by Sir_RUSH on 01-Aug-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: E-UAE-SDL 1.0.0. AmigaOS 4
Posted on 1-Aug-2017 18:49:35
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Sir_RUSH

What filesystem you use on your partition with the hardfile?

FFS is slooooooooooow. Use SFS or NGFS.

salass00 
Posted on 1-Aug-2017 18:56:55
#3 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

FFS is slooooooooooow. Use SFS or NGFS.

NGFS is AmigaOS 4.1 and newer only.

Another alternative would be PFS3 although I haven't used it so I have no idea how good it is.

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Aug-2017 19:00:51
#4 ]
Elite Member

@salass00

I meant on host partition. Although filesystem on the guest partition may also play role - SFS or PFS should be sufficient there.

Last edited by pavlor on 01-Aug-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Sir_RUSH 
Re: E-UAE-SDL 1.0.0. AmigaOS 4.1.1
Posted on 1-Aug-2017 19:25:53
#5 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
What filesystem you use on your partition with the hardfile? FFS is slooooooooooow. Use SFS or NGFS.

I was using NGFS, then made SFS to test....and didn't notice any differences..after lots of checking. Back to SFS.

You'rrrrrrrrrrrrre right!! WOW, FFS PPC is Sllllooooooowww! Hahaha! But it's great for anything that uses the classic filesystem. Timberwolf does not have any challenges when I use it from a FFS partition. But it does with all the others.

Anyway, back to the topic. Currently SFS. I also have an echoed (different name) installed NGFS that I'm comparing with.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 1-Aug-2017 19:28:36
#6 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
I meant on host partition. Although filesystem on the guest partition may also play role - SFS or PFS should be sufficient there.

For emulation, FFS currently. I shall give SFS a go soon. But I figured first I'd stick with what doesn't fail easily and is repairable with DiskSalv. SFS...when it corrupts, wow! HAHA...otherwise it's much better than FFS.

Last edited by Sir_RUSH on 01-Aug-2017 at 07:29 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Aug-2017 19:29:59
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Sir_RUSH

Then, as salass00 wrote, only change of guest FS can lead to some speed up. I think you need RDB hardfile for this.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 1-Aug-2017 19:35:41
#8 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
I think you need RDB hardfile for this.

Greetings. As I typed in original, I'm using both times of Hard File. 1) without RDB, and the other with. I've already noticed with RDB there is much better compatibility; as stated in the config.txt.

I just haven't checked with SFS yet. Since SFS has an auto-defrager built into the FS, that might be what's needed. Hmm... I'll check defrag of FFS...I hadn't considered that. (Ding...dong..). :D

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 1-Aug-2017 23:19:17
#9 ]

@salass00

I took the working RDB hard file and connected it to WinUAE, changed the Filesystem to SFS02, formatted it... Used Directory Opus 5 to copy the backed files to the newly formatted SFS02. Then transferred the hard file via USB to AmigaOne X5K...

Ran the topic..and Woooaahhh!! 12 Seconds to go from my created menu to Workbench 3.5..!! Wow! Then 1 minute something for Beneath a Steel Sky CD32 with voices to load.

Buffers in RDB are at typical 80. That's an amazing difference from FFS. So, that seems "fixed". Laughing! WHDLoad version of Slam Tilt preloaded well also. But with/out NoCache it's still "tearing" or "jerking" at times when scrolling up/down. With NoCache the JIT still has a some "hiccups" during play. When coming into the slot for the right flipper it "snags" at the exit of the ramp. I have to nudge or use the flipper for it to nudge it free. I've never seen that happen with Slam Tilt with the many years I've played it.

I'm considering backup current uae.config and starting it new with:

aga
and JIT cache...just to see how the basic config works.

Ehhh...going to do that now.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Aug-2017 15:23:23
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Sir_RUSH

There's a few different ones here:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=search&tool=simple&f_fields=uae

Did you also try the AMIGFX driver? Some of those may be able to easily configure it for you. Looks like we need to merge EasyUAE with the latest.

Did you say SFS2? Seems a but overkill for a 68K HDD. I tend to default to using FFS for images since it works out of the box without stuffing around. Should be fine for loading. Saving is usally a problem.

salass00 
Posted on 2-Aug-2017 15:35:50
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Did you also try the AMIGFX driver? Some of those may be able to easily configure it for you. Looks like we need to merge EasyUAE with the latest.

The amigfx version of e-uae doesn't support uaegfx modes so I don't think that's an option.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 2-Aug-2017 18:35:23
#12 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Did you also try the AMIGFX driver?

Quote:
From my first post: I finally got the subject running with my AmigaOne X5000 with Picasso UAEGfx screens.

Quote:
Did you say SFS2? Seems a but overkill for a 68K HDD. I tend to default to using FFS for images since it works out of the box without stuffing around. Should be fine for loading. Saving is usally a problem.

I did type that I reconfigured the Hard file from FFS to SFS2 and notice a huge speed increase. FFS functions very well as does SFS2 with WinUAE, but for some reason, not so well here with AmigaOne X5000. It might be due to using SFS2 with AmigaOne, but I've also used NGFS with the host. Not any speed differences. Once I reconfigured the .hdf file SFS02 (as shown in the Filesystem selection) then the speed was there. The auto-defrag of SFS2 is also what helped with the speed increase I've noticed I'm betting.

The UAE don't allow Picasso/UAEGfx without using UAEGfx. AmiGFX driver you typed about is the same thing, or you're meaning the something different? I'm okay with editing the config "by hand" but I'm also going to check some of those GUIs.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 2-Aug-2017 21:59:48
#13 ]

@salass00

Correct.

I checked the GUI config options and none of them support JIT. So my hand-edited config is fine.

It has been a while since I've played Slam Tilt with WinUAE and I noticed some of that same tearing when the fast scrolling happens. However, I'm using the latest Beta version. I'll don't recall it happening with WinUAE 3.2.2.0...so I'll check that soon.

Really appreciate the replies so far, everyone. Thumbs up with a smile.

outrun1978 
Posted on 3-Aug-2017 20:32:47
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Sir_RUSH

I too have been having a bit of a play with E-UAE as the default RunInUAE settings mean that i can only use 640x480 resolution thanks to my Radeon 7750 card which does not support lower resolutions of 320x256 even in Doublescan mode.

I have updated to the latest JIT version and also changed the default AmigaGFX version to the SDL one from OS4depot.

In my .uaerc file i have added the following lines following some advice on a thread i was reading over at www.amigans.net:

gfx_width_windowed=720
gfx_height_windowed=568
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=no
gfx_fullscreen_picasso=yes

This effectively places E-UAE into its own screen and 720x568 is the maximum resolution supported by the separate screen.

I have also added some extra 256MB fast memory so the config file now looks like this:

# Example UAE configuration
#
# Lines beginning with a '#' are comments

# Path to file containing Kickstart ROM image
kickstart_rom_file=kick1.3.rom

# If you have an encrypted ROM image from Amiga forever,
# this is a path to the key file
kickstart_key_file=rom.key

# Default path where floppy disk images may be found
amiga.floppy_path=PROGDIR:Floppies

#Show status LEDs on emulator screen
show_leds=false

# Enable floppy drives 2 & 3
floppy2type=0
floppy3type=0

# Speed of floppy drives; 100 is normal speed (most compatible), 800 is fastest speed (least compatible)
floppy_speed=100

# Joystick port emulation; none, mouse, joy0, joy1, kbd1, kbd2, kbd3
joyport0=mouse
joyport1=joy0

# CPU type to emulate
cpu_type=68040
# CPU compatibility (true is slower)
cpu_compatible=false
cpu_cycle_exact=false
# CPU emulation speed
# real = approx A500 speed. max = CPU emulation will run as fast as it can
cpu_speed=max

# Amiga chipset to emulate
# Can be ocs, ecs or aga
chipset=aga
immediate_blits=yes
# Collision detection; none, sprites, playfields, full
collision_level=full

# Amount of chip memory to emulate
# in multiples of 512K. Thus chipmem=4 is 2MB
chipmem_size=16
bogomem_size=0

# Amount of fast memory to emulate in MB
fastmem_size=0
z3mem_size=256
gfxcard_size=32

# Sound output; none, interrupts, normal, exact
sound_output=exact

# Sound channels; mono, stereo, mixed
sound_channels=stereo

# Frequency of emulated sound output in Hz
sound_frequency=44100

# Sound buffer size; max_buffer is in bytes (obsolete), latency is in ms
sound_latency=120
sound_max_buff=8192

# Prompt for screen mode to use; public, custom, ask
amiga.screen_type=ask
amiga.publicscreen=ask

gfx_fullscreen_amiga=false

# Don't dither
amiga.use_dither=false

# Set frame skipping (1=show all frames, 2=show every 2nd frame, 3=show every 3rd frame, etc)
gfx_framerate=1

# Display settings
gfx_width=1024
gfx_height=768
gfx_width_windowed=720
gfx_height_windowed=568
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=no
gfx_fullscreen_picasso=yes
gfx_lores=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_correct_aspect=no
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_center_vertical=smart

# Miscellaneous
use_debugger=no
ppc.use_tbc=false

# Full floppy drive noises

# Additional settings
#RUNINUAE: SCREENMODE=ScreenMode_HiRes.prefs
#DISABLED: floppy0sound=1

The changes that I have made to the config file mean that E-UAE now opens up in a small window, I have to do CTRL+ALT+S to get full screen but the end result it displays in a much nicer resolution and one which does not look so overblown compared to the 640x480 offered by the default RuninUAE settings as there is small square border.

I've noticed a big performance too in games like Alien Breed 3D 2, Breathless, Genetic Species and Gloom Deluxe thanks to the extra ram. SimCity 2000 really flies too

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 4-Aug-2017 16:27:07
#15 ]

@outrun1978

You have some repeats in your config. However, I also realized I removed the sound and collision_level. That those might have been what helped, but also the ask in the video stuff. Slam Tilt now does much less of the "video tearing" or rippling when scrolling. Yay!

The rest of your config is what I have also. It's still a trip to see 8 MB of CHIP RAM vs 2 with the real machines that I've seen much in my life. Haha!

I made a copy of my config for RunInUAE config and it loads from that very nicely once enabling not to change the config. Makes it much sweeter for inserting/ejecting floppies as well as exiting the topic because I don't always want to swap input from prefs before loading.

Until, and if it's continued to be supported or a new version is released that matches what WinUAE can currently do (supports CSPPC's PPC) it's in pretty good shape..minus a really nice config GUI that supports JIT/SDL.

The regular UAE that comes on our CDs is too basic for me. Haha. I love seeing my modded Amiga very speedy. Now I'm checking compatibility with most programs and games. Although programs I'm totally fine with AmigaOS 4.1.x emulating those. I'm going to check on CD/music support soon, now.

outrun1978 
Posted on 4-Aug-2017 18:15:12
#16 ]
Cult Member

@Sir_RUSH

I think the default for the collision detection (video) is set to playfields and more aimed at the slower machines which of course the X5000 is not going to really need.

Glad to hear you have got your config sorted more or less how it you want it anyway

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 4-Aug-2017 18:47:45
#17 ]

@outrun1978

Glad to read you have also. The Make HD is limited to 2GB, but will it use a larger HF made with WinUAE? That's my next question. Haha..the days are very small partitions...

Have you been able to get Nightlong 68K to run through UAE-SDL...or...attempted?

outrun1978 
Posted on 4-Aug-2017 21:03:39
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Sir_RUSH

hmmmm getting nightlong to work...... might have a stab at it and will blog my results if i get anywhere........

Ill keep you posted as I have been wanting to play this for a while too!

Managed to get Wipeout 2097 working using Wazp3D too and at a very reasonable speed

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Aug-2017 21:23:39
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Sir_RUSH

Way are you using hardfiles? you can use native FS direct, not mess with HD Toolbox at all.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 4-Aug-2017 23:56:56
#20 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I did that for a bit. Hillsea Lido crashes when accessing the files that would be located on disk 2 - from Hard Drive.. I've also noticed using a HF with SPS2 is Much, Much faster and more reliable. If you only want to play games using WHDLoad then it seem to be good enough. But, I still have some classic hacks from from the day that don't work well without HF...or Hard Drive.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle