Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 146 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 zipper:  13 mins ago
 Templario:  19 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  33 mins ago
 RobertB:  38 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  54 mins ago
 janelancy:  55 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  The Web browser situation
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
Spectre660 
Re: The Web browser situation
Posted on 8-Feb-2018 17:45:45
#101 ]
Elite Member

More progress on the PPC Linux side.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2018/02/msg00017.html

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 9-Feb-2018 16:21:36
#102 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
Oh, so you regularly have 20+ tabs open at once too?

Breakdown
Takedown
I'm busted!

Quote:
I currently have 35 tabs open in Firefox, and it's using about 1 GB of RAM. That's still doable on a 32-bit system.

I just checked and I have around the same amount. Also in Firefox. I'm running Mint 64 on a laptop with 4GB RAM and 4GB swap. It starts to stutter then just locks the system up. Demands too many resources. It can just take the system down. If I can log in to a shell I can kill it. Otherwise I have to force shutdown. Perhaps a 32-bit OS is best as it uses less resources.

Quote:
What we really need is a JIT interpreter for Javascript and WebAssembly. Running it in an interpreter is rather slow, and we don't exactly have the world's fastest machines.

Now that's an interesting idea. How similar would this be to a standard JavaScript JIT now?

Hans 
Posted on 9-Feb-2018 20:18:29
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Oops! Should have said JIT compiler not interpreter.

Quote:
Now that's an interesting idea. How similar would this be to a standard JavaScript JIT now?

I'm talking about a Javascript JIT just like other platforms have. We need one for PowerPC, and preferably one that runs the compiled Javascript in a little-endian sandbox (for reasons already given).

NOTE: TenFourFox have a PowerPC JIT for Javascript. Perhaps we should be using it too...

Hans

K-L 
Posted on 9-Feb-2018 21:06:56
#104 ]

@Hans

We should have TenFourFox since I presume mosty of the work has been done by the the team maintaining it but I may be wrong.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 10-Feb-2018 14:01:02
#105 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

No, that's right, you didnt say that. I wasn't referring to you.

And Im not underestimating anything. Didnt say it was easy. Im just saying technical shortcomings of Amiga OS arent a showstopper in regards to a modern browser. Sans gui elements pretty much all amiga derived platforms already have required dependencies met.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2018 15:30:17
#106 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

Aha. LOL.

Quote:
I'm talking about a Javascript JIT just like other platforms have. We need one for PowerPC, and preferably one that runs the compiled Javascript in a little-endian sandbox (for reasons already given).

It seems to me that any method which produces on the fly code poses a security risk. And I would have thought that by now if the complicate web sites too much with these scripts they would drop the ASCII and just use a bnary token BASIC like format.

Given Java achieves the same purpose more efficiently and from the ground up I don't know why they insist on using text files. To me it just looks ridiculous.
Yes Java doesn't help us any better but I don't know twhy hey dropped Java for the Script. Well dropped in popular usage

Given a JIT creates code, using little endian codes shouldn't be a problem. If all input and output to JIT routines is in registers it should be transparent.

I don't know if TFF uses a little endian model for JIT. But everytime I use it just seems slow. Maybe the JIT generator is causing a slow down.

simplex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2018 15:50:47
#107 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

OK, we agree

Raffaele 
Posted on 11-Feb-2018 9:21:24
#108 ]

@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@Hypex

Quote:

NOTE: TenFourFox have a PowerPC JIT for Javascript. Perhaps we should be using it too...

Hans

Fabien Coeurjoly has rewritten from scratch his OWB 1.25 code promising he will realize a more robust Javascript Engine by using as model the Macintosh JS JIT by Deadwood. He finished his work but only betatesters of MorphOS know and enjoy the results and if he succeded as this new version of OWB depends on MOS 3.10 libraries, and MOS 3.10 is still not released to public.

Also there was Tobias Netzel who was working on MorphOS on a new Javascript JIT and he announced he resolved almost all issues of endianess except one that appears randomly and made him crazy to find what originates it.
I remember he said he solved also the obnoxious bug of JS JIT eating RAM and no releasing it again to the system. It was one year ago and a half. Then we had no more news. I wonder if he stopped to work on it due to incoming release of MorphOS 3.10, so his work was no necessary anymore or if he had to stop due to personal problems...

Or if perhaps he went mad due to the "last unknown bug" curse.

Even if he had resolved just the RAM-Eating bug, it had sure been a great improvement. Why he did not released at least just only this patch for the benefit of all community?

Last edited by Raffaele on 11-Feb-2018 at 09:27 AM.

samo79 
Posted on 11-Feb-2018 11:55:55
#109 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

This is an excellent news, i wonder what are these MOS 3.10's dependecies that prevent him to release it

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

BigD 
Posted on 11-Feb-2018 13:16:50
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Great lets pray it'll be ported across to AmigaOS too and that the dependancies can be overcome on that platform.

Raffaele 
Posted on 12-Feb-2018 6:51:13
#111 ]

@samo79

Quote:

samo79 wrote:
@Raffaele

This is an excellent news, i wonder what are these MOS 3.10's dependecies that prevent him to release it

I suppose dependencies are mainly called "MorphOS Team"...

Doofus 
Posted on 17-Feb-2018 1:06:07
#112 ]

@Niolator
Are we going to have internet browser problems? I'm getting ready to order a new X5000 but was hoping to use it for internet surfing. I have Ibrowse on my Amithlon OS 3.9 machine. Is that why it guru's when I try to go to Yahoo.com? I have Mozilla Firefox on an old Dell PC which works well, but won't last forever.

Rob 
Posted on 17-Feb-2018 4:17:45
#113 ]
Elite Member

@Doofus

iBrowse is way behind the curve. There is a version 2.5 on the way including PPC native but as far as I'm aware they will still be lagging behind. I don't know if the developers have any plans beyond 2.5 or if a revenue stream would result in more time being spent on development.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle